2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Global Windows

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/05, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by davids2toys@July 7, 2005, 8:47 AM
Part of the reason I ordered the alarm was for the global windows. I dont want to sue anyone at all, I want them to fix the problem and deliver the product as advertised...heck even the CD they gave me with the delivery of the car (june 23rd) describes this feature in detail as does the owners manual. I even got a brochure 3 months after they disabled it and it still advertised the feature as being part of the package. FORD did a bad job here period and they should fix it, and if they choose to ignore the consumer when they have a legit complaint, then I guess that is why people sue!
After hearing it only work 10 ft away from the car, it almost make it a useless feature, heck, i would trade a disabled window feature for an inside trunk release and key fob that was more thought out with protruding buttons...lol
why would you want protruding buttons? It would be incredibly easy for them to be pressed when putting the keys in your pocket.

I personally think the remote was pretty well thought out.

(An inside trunk release would be very nice though)
Old 7/7/05, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The people that say they only bought the package for the window feature paid $200 just to roll the windows down with another button? Was/Is that good reasoning? I am not trying to burn anyone, just don't understand that part.
Old 7/7/05, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TorchRedGT@July 7, 2005, 10:51 AM
The people that say they only bought the package for the window feature paid $200 just to roll the windows down with another button? Was/Is that good reasoning? I am not trying to burn anyone, just don't understand that part.
$200 over the course of a 5 year loan doesn't equate to much difference in my monthly payment. I really liked it, was it worth the $200, I dunno, maybe not, but since it didn't affect my payment very much, I went ahead and ordered it. That might seem silly to you, but it's not any different than ordering any other option that you want. Is the Shaker 1000 worth almost $1300, well, not to me, but it is to some.
Old 7/7/05, 11:13 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't really compare the 2. You ordered an anti-theft system. It had a feature of global windows, which FORD disabled. To talk about the shaker is not the same. However, if FORD stated that the car had a power antenna and when you received it, the car only had a standard antenna, now that would be a good comparison. Why, because, without the global windows your anti-theft system still works and your windows still go up and down with the push of a button. Without a power antenna the shaker system would still work because of the manual antenna.

I admit, the global windows is a cool feature and some of you may have purchased the anti-theft system for this feature but really, the global windows have absolutely nothing to do with the alarm system.FORD should never have included it within the anti-theft package. When you complain to FORD about it I am sure they think the same thing I do when I say "You bought an anti-theft system according to your order and you received an anti-theft system"

Don't get me wrong guys. I do understand why you are upset, I just don't see it as big of a deal as you do.
Old 7/7/05, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by moc1976@July 7, 2005, 9:13 AM
Well, maybe only the 5th time in this topic, there have been about 20 other topics on this, and if you are really bored, you can go count how many times I posted that in those. Maybe 106 is a little much, it's probably more like 30 :-D

And what are you arguing, I already said I paid that for the option, I said I didn't know what portion of that is for the global open/close. I did pay for it because I wanted the global open close, so really I paid the whole amount for the feature I wanted. It's all how you look at it. My car is not a daily driver and is rarely out of my sight, sits in a garage most of the time, I didn't really need the upgraded alarm, and wouldn't have ordered it had I known it was disabled and couldn't be reactivated. So, it could be seen that I paid the entire amount for what I wanted, open/close.
If the car is
Old 7/7/05, 11:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AWmustang@July 7, 2005, 10:50 AM
why would you want protruding buttons? It would be incredibly easy for them to be pressed when putting the keys in your pocket.

I personally think the remote was pretty well thought out.

(An inside trunk release would be very nice though)
I screwed up, it should say without protruding buttons!I think the buttons are not recessed enough.
Old 7/7/05, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@July 7, 2005, 11:16 AM
Can't really compare the 2. You ordered an anti-theft system. It had a feature of global windows, which FORD disabled. To talk about the shaker is not the same. However, if FORD stated that the car had a power antenna and when you received it, the car only had a standard antenna, now that would be a good comparison. Why, because, without the global windows your anti-theft system still works and your windows still go up and down with the push of a button. Without a power antenna the shaker system would still work because of the manual antenna.

I admit, the global windows is a cool feature and some of you may have purchased the anti-theft system for this feature but really, the global windows have absolutely nothing to do with the alarm system.FORD should never have included it within the anti-theft package. When you complain to FORD about it I am sure they think the same thing I do when I say "You bought an anti-theft system according to your order and you received an anti-theft system"

Don't get me wrong guys. I do understand why you are upset, I just don't see it as big of a deal as you do.
OK, I was only using the Shaker 1000 as a comparison on an option that someone ordered because they wanted it. Torch Red asked if it was a good idea to pay $200 for being able to open/close the windows. I compared that to someone paying $1300 for an extra couple subs. I don't think the S1000 is worth $1300, but I thought it was worth $200 for a cool feature and ordered the aat. Now, some might disagree with me on the open/close or the Shaker, so, do you see what I'm trying to say?

I was NOT trying to compare the disabled portion of the active anti-theft with the option of the Shaker 1000. Just using it as an example of an option being worth or not being worth the charge.

And I agree with you, it should have been a much less expensive stand-alone option!
Old 7/7/05, 12:43 PM

Just go have it re-enabled, like I did, and have your cake and eat it too.
Old 7/7/05, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Jeepers!@July 7, 2005, 12:46 PM
Just go have it re-enabled, like I did, and have your cake and eat it too.

Some of us CAN'T get it re-enabled.
Old 7/7/05, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by AWmustang@July 7, 2005, 2:37 PM
Some of us CAN'T get it re-enabled.
Wow, why not? That's what they told me, too.
Old 7/8/05, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Jeepers!@July 7, 2005, 1:54 PM
Wow, why not? That's what they told me, too.
Ford changed the computer so that even if you do the process that should re-enable them, they still won't work.

The current theory (i stress theory, and it's just what i have read in another thread) is that if you unlock both doors, get out of your car, and use your key in the drivers door to lock the car, one of two things will happen. Both doors will lock, which means you can have your's re-enabled. Or only the drivers door will lock, in which case you cannot have your global windows re-enabled.
Old 7/8/05, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@July 6, 2005, 1:18 PM
and once again I point you to the fine print on the brochure that states "subject to change".

Edit: I am not condoning (spelling) what FORD does but this is no different than any other dealer, car or otherwise. If a manufacturer changes something, they are not going to pull all of the brochures from each dealer and print new brochures. That is why they always print the "subject to change without notice" clause.
They could very easily print new brochures, just as they did a few years ago after 9/11. There was a reflection of the World Trade Center Towers in the picture on the cover and Ford pulled all the brochures from the dealers and replaced them with new ones which had a different cover.

This a pretty simple issue; some feel cheated (rightfully so) because they didn't get the ENTIRE content of an option they ordered, and some don't care. This is not justification to act like children and belittle someone else because they are unhappy with the manufacturer not coming through on its commitment to deliver a particular option AS ADVERTISED. I ordered this feature mainly for the Global windows feature and feel very fortunate, especially in light of the current "conversation", to have it. As others have stated, I probably would have had an aftermarket alarm installed for less money had the Global Windows feature not been offered, and would have been very disappointed not to have received it.

And to add to the "Shaker" argument; I agree with someone earlier who related it to mp3's...IF only the Shaker 1000 played mp3's and that was the MAIN reason for an individual ordering it, and the car showed up and the mp3 capability had been disabled, it would still have the Shaker 1000, but that individual would feel cheated because the option was not delivered as they expected.

Now, can we just all get along?
Old 7/8/05, 08:49 AM
Retired Tms Staff

and I'll say it again. The mp3 part is part of the shaker system, they have something in common. The global windows have nothing in common other than FORD "packaging it" that way. Good job FORD.

Anyway, those who complain about it should find a dealer that will help them. I'll see what my local service tech has to say about it.
Old 7/8/05, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by moc1976@July 7, 2005, 8:46 AM
Maybe if you read earlier posts you would see that I tried this. I called Ford several times, called my dealership several times, went back to my dealership in person, and filled out my customer response survey appropriately. Ford would say to work with the dealership, and the dealership would say there's nothing they can do because Ford changed the option. I'm not complaining here, it is being discussed in a topic and I am commenting on it.
Maybe so and, by the way, I have read your posts. I'd say there's a good chance that you didn't talk to the right people. When you called the dealer who did you talk to? Your sales person? Did you walk the chain of command to the General Manager? Owner? When you called Ford corporate did you talk to someone in one of their call centers? or someone with some authority? When they said no did you keep calling back till you found someone to listen?

Did you try one of your local TV stations "call for help" teams? We're talking a small dollar amount here. If you made enough noise and didn't take no for an answer I'd say there is a pretty high probability that they'd do something to compensate you, if nothing else just to get you to leave them alone.
Old 7/9/05, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@July 8, 2005, 8:52 AM
and I'll say it again. The mp3 part is part of the shaker system, they have something in common. The global windows have nothing in common other than FORD "packaging it" that way. Good job FORD.

And you'll be WRONG again. The Global windows is just as much a part of the AAT as the mp3 capability is the Shaker. The mp3 capability is not a stand-alone option, nor is the Global Windows a stand-alone option; both are a FEATURE of their respective options.

If this analogy doesn't satisfy you, consider the blue-tooth capability with the optional hands-free system; maybe that will make more sense to you.

Regardless, anyone who is unhappy should use whatever means at their disposal to seek out satisfaction, and should not be belittled for doing so; after all, everyone deserves to be a satisfied customer...
Old 7/9/05, 12:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think you're missing his point completely... he's saying the fact that the global windows feature was packaged with the Active Anti-Theft System is the ONLY thing the two have in common.

It's a random feature added to a random option... although I'd be interested to hear how the global windows feature contributes to actively preventing theft of your vehicle?

With that said though, I completely understand why some people would be upset about the global windows feature being disabled. It would make a lot more sense for Ford to turn off the feature short term, find a fix for it later, and then issue a TSB at some point in the future. Unfortunately, they are not doing that... why? Who knows.

I do have the global windows feature on my vehicle, but I can't really understand what the point of it is. It only works from about 10 feet away from the vehicle, which doesn't leave any amount of time for the car to cool off. It's fairly similar to the mycolor option IMO - doesn't have any real point, other than some degree of "wow" (or "wtf") factor. It has made me laugh a couple of times when I was walking up to the vehicle and scared the heck out of some people checking it out.

It's actually funny to me that people are so upset about this specific feature. The issue seems to be more about the principle of it all, rather than the value of the actual feature. IMO, if you ordered Active Anti-Theft because of it, you'd pretty quickly wonder why you spent $250 on it.
Old 7/9/05, 12:12 PM

Mine works!
Old 7/9/05, 12:39 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by PACETTR@July 9, 2005, 10:31 AM
And you'll be WRONG again. The Global windows is just as much a part of the AAT as the mp3 capability is the Shaker. The mp3 capability is not a stand-alone option, nor is the Global Windows a stand-alone option; both are a FEATURE of their respective options.

If this analogy doesn't satisfy you, consider the blue-tooth capability with the optional hands-free system; maybe that will make more sense to you.

Regardless, anyone who is unhappy should use whatever means at their disposal to seek out satisfaction, and should not be belittled for doing so; after all, everyone deserves to be a satisfied customer...
Maybe we all have different ways of looking at things. Personally, if I didn't have Global windows on my car my alarm system would still do what I paid for it to do. However, yes I do agree that if I thought I was getting a head unit that played mp3's and I didn't I'd be upset. Either way I still think FORD messed up by including global windows as a feature of the alarm system because it has nothing to do with the alarm system.
Old 7/9/05, 12:42 PM
Retired Tms Staff

If the interior motion sensors trigger the alarm and the windows rolled up because of the global windows option then yes, I'd be upset too. However, the windows don't roll up when the alarm is triggered. Other than being able to roll your windows down from 10 feet away, and not even controlling how far they rolldown, the global windows feature is rather pointless. To sell it as a feature of the alarm system it should have included more features. You can roll your windows down with the remote but not back up. Kinda pointless.
Old 7/9/05, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally my opinion of the global windows is that its a pretty useless feature. I mean if you could roll down the windows from 200 feet away maybe but 10 feet?

Now maybe this is more the exception than the rule but I suspect a percentage of people upset about Global Windows are after a possible payday from Ford.

Quick Reply: Global Windows