2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Global Windows

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/05, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one of the early 05's. My global window system works fine.
I have my car garaged 100% of the time only drive it for pleasure.
I have been reading about the global windows system being deactivated.
To me this seems like a class action law suit. We paid for the system to work if
Ford is going to disable it we shoud be reinbursed. Any comments.
Old 7/2/05, 08:22 PM
V6 Member

yep it's pretty ridiculous
Old 7/2/05, 08:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jungleman@July 2, 2005, 8:14 PM
I have one of the early 05's. My global window system works fine.
I have my car garaged 100% of the time only drive it for pleasure.
I have been reading about the global windows system being deactivated.
To me this seems like a class action law suit. We paid for the system to work if
Ford is going to disable it we shoud be reinbursed. Any comments.
Class action lawsuit?

Umm... I don't think so. Just a bit harsh for a feature that not many people would likely ever use, and fewer probably even knew about when purchasing the vehicle.

I'm sure Ford would be happy to buy back any 05s that people would like to return because of it (and sell them for a profit of course)
Old 7/2/05, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was a little POed when I found out it didn't work. That was a big part of the reason I got the active anti-theft.

But now, I realize I would have never used it. Not once have I thought about it when I'm walking up to my car. I either park in the shade, or use a window shade, and after I get the car tinted, I will have no problems at all with heat. So even if I was using it, I would not be using it for long.

I will take my car in someday to get the axle whine looked at, but I don't know if I'll even bother trying to have them reactivate it.

BUT . . . I would like Ford to reimburse me $100 for a feature I paid for, but was denied because of their stupidity in computer programing or whatever the glitch is.
Old 7/2/05, 09:27 PM
FR500 Member

Global Windows, Class action law suit
Whatever floats your boat
Old 7/2/05, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Sonic05@July 2, 2005, 9:23 PM
I was a little POed when I found out it didn't work. That was a big part of the reason I got the active anti-theft.

But now, I realize I would have never used it. Not once have I thought about it when I'm walking up to my car. I either park in the shade, or use a window shade, and after I get the car tinted, I will have no problems at all with heat. So even if I was using it, I would not be using it for long.

I will take my car in someday to get the axle whine looked at, but I don't know if I'll even bother trying to have them reactivate it.

BUT . . . I would like Ford to reimburse me $100 for a feature I paid for, but was denied because of their stupidity in computer programing or whatever the glitch is.
I agree completely. I don't think it is unrealistic to think that a company should compensate its purchasers for a feature the buyers bought and did not receive. It seems like a clear breach of contract or some sort of breach of merchantability. Forgive me, I do not know exactly the name for what I am trying to get at...my UCC law is a little rusty.

Having said that, I don't know if it would be worth enough money for an attorney to get involved.

Looking at the numbers, assume half of all orders had this option...96,000. (I have no idea about the real numbers, just making a guesstimation.) Of those, let's say that 75% came with it deactivated...72,000. The option costs $255. Of that, at best, and this is being really liberal, 25% of the value of that option was the global feature. That's $63 per person that actually got screwed. That's $4.5 million. After the people lawyers get their cut, that means each member of the class would get like $35. Also, class actions are extremely complicated, and can take a number of years and lots of manhours for attorneys working them. Even a payoff of > $2 million may not be enough to get expierenced attorneys to commit that much time to a contingency case. I imagine there is someone that would do it, but I don't think it is really worth it.

Just my opinion.
Old 7/2/05, 09:40 PM
V6 Member

quick question what is it and what does global window do? As someone said above some people, me, probably never knew it existed. So I'm curious as to what exactly it is. Thanks.
Old 7/2/05, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by NCPolice555@July 2, 2005, 9:43 PM
quick question what is it and what does global window do? As someone said above some people, me, probably never knew it existed. So I'm curious as to what exactly it is. Thanks.
Yeah, what he said.

Note: I don't own a Mustang let alone driven one yet so i have no clue as to what this feature is.
Old 7/2/05, 10:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If you have the active anti-theft device, then you can open and close the windows using the key in the door lock cylinder or you can open the windows using the unlock button on the key fob. (As long as your's hasn't been deactivated.)
Old 7/2/05, 11:23 PM

Sue if you want. :bang:
Old 7/2/05, 11:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TorchRedGT@July 2, 2005, 11:26 PM
Ever think that this is why cars cost so much? Do you know that part of a cars cost is to cover the tons of wild lawsuits that people come up with? Only in America could someone burn themselves with hot coffee and sue the company because the coffee was “hot”. Now we have to walk around with cups of coffee that says “Caution, contents are hot” Instead of labeling the cups, why don’t we label people with “Caution-Stupid” who want to sue for burning themselves with the hot coffee that just ordered. Its gone too far. Anytime people are disappointed in a product or get hurt from using it incorrectly, they immediately think lawsuit. Other countries don’t have this problem, and look at their role in putting America’s companies out of business.
IMO, when you buy something, anything and everything, its yours. There isn’t a lifetime warranty that you will never be disappointed. If you don’t like it, you shouldn’t have bought it. No returns, no excuses. If the feature is that important to you that you want to file a lawsuit, you should have checked out the feature BEFORE you took delivery. Once you sign the papers, the car is your responsibility. You wouldn’t sign the papers if the car was missing the drivers door would you? Before I take delivery, I always look over the whole car for anything wrong, missing/broken/damaged/non functional parts. It is 25K+ of your hard earned dollars right? One more thing, were there any features that the car has that you didn’t know about when you bought it? If so, shouldn’t you pay ford for these? I love the car and all of its features, I am thankful that Ford designed such a great car that still sells for under 30K. This is an American company, building a true American muscle car, designed, engineered, and built by hard working American people. It doesn’t get much better than this...There, I feel better
Most people's beliefs on the above-referenced coffee case are based on myth. The coffee that was served to the lady was extraordinarily above the normal temperature at which coffee is served. It was hot enough that is melted the woman's skin and caused horrible 3rd-degree burns over that entire portion of the woman's body. Coffee should be hot, but not that hot. The press got ahold of that case and blew it well out of proportion.

I agree it is ridiculous that we have to carry around cups that say, "Danger! Hot Coffee", but instead of that perhaps companies should take it upon themselves to do something like, oh I don't know, regulate the temperature of coffee so that it cannot cause 3rd-degree burns.

Even though I am an attorney, far be it from me to defend the litigious nature of America. I am not a plaintiff's lawyer, and I hate when people want to blame other for their mistakes or shortcomings, but blame should be placed where it is due.
Old 7/2/05, 11:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by TorchRedGT@July 3, 2005, 1:26 AM
Ever think that this is why cars cost so much? Do you know that part of a cars cost is to cover the tons of wild lawsuits that people come up with? Only in America could someone burn themselves with hot coffee and sue the company because the coffee was “hot”. Now we have to walk around with cups of coffee that says “Caution, contents are hot” Instead of labeling the cups, why don’t we label people with “Caution-Stupid” who want to sue for burning themselves with the hot coffee that just ordered. Its gone too far. Anytime people are disappointed in a product or get hurt from using it incorrectly, they immediately think lawsuit. Other countries don’t have this problem, and look at their role in putting America’s companies out of business.
IMO, when you buy something, anything and everything, its yours. There isn’t a lifetime warranty that you will never be disappointed. If you don’t like it, you shouldn’t have bought it. No returns, no excuses. If the feature is that important to you that you want to file a lawsuit, you should have checked out the feature BEFORE you took delivery. Once you sign the papers, the car is your responsibility. You wouldn’t sign the papers if the car was missing the drivers door would you? Before I take delivery, I always look over the whole car for anything wrong, missing/broken/damaged/non functional parts. It is 25K+ of your hard earned dollars right? One more thing, were there any features that the car has that you didn’t know about when you bought it? If so, shouldn’t you pay ford for these? I love the car and all of its features, I am thankful that Ford designed such a great car that still sells for under 30K. This is an American company, building a true American muscle car, designed, engineered, and built by hard working American people. It doesn’t get much better than this...There, I feel better

ok forget the coffee part cause I dont want to say its stupid, but truthfully it has no real importance here. I want to agree with you 100% but I really cant because your thinking too much for the 'public'. True, you should know everything before you bought this car but alot, and I mean alot dont know much walking into the dealership.

But, Im sorry bro, there was atleast 1 thing this car had that you did not know about. Something that when you went home, maybe a week after you got the car, made you grin really hard cause a week later you just noticed something, something small, something you will prob. never use, but knowing its in your car made you happy. Everyone knows what Im saying, its just too hard to explain, so please dont say 'I just found this feature now I have to go pay my dealer for it' cause thats stupid. This also means if something is missing when it was supposed to be their and I dont notice it right away I shouldnt be refunded/or given the part/service for what I payed for. I should have this feature and it doesnt work on my car, truthfully I didnt know about it since my dealer never told me, but Ford knew about it and it also stated the car had it in the last papers I signed at the dealership.... meaning they told me something when it wasnt their, weither I was to check it or not they were trying to sell a vehicle with something in it, that wasnt their. That is misdirection, wrong and pretty horrible to say the least. But oh well cause I know for dam sure if it was that serious my dealer would have already known the business

So, what im trying to say, every person who goes out and buys a new mustang, v6 or GT does not know as much as you with buying a car, or a mustang for that matter. You have to accept the fact that the public is going to buy this car since its extremely hot, nothing compares, you cant expect everyone to be on this and other forums 24/7 before they even have the car, especially if its their first mustang(like mine)
-mike
Old 7/2/05, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 2, 2005, 10:36 PM
Most people's beliefs on the above-referenced coffee case are based on myth. The coffee that was served to the lady was extraordinarily above the normal temperature at which coffee is served. It was hot enough that is melted the woman's skin and caused horrible 3rd-degree burns over that entire portion of the woman's body. Coffee should be hot, but not that hot. The press got ahold of that case and blew it well out of proportion.

I agree it is ridiculous that we have to carry around cups that say, "Danger! Hot Coffee", but instead of that perhaps companies should take it upon themselves to do something like, oh I don't know, regulate the temperature of coffee so that it cannot cause 3rd-degree burns.

Even though I am an attorney, far be it from me to defend the litigious nature of America. I am not a plaintiff's lawyer, and I hate when people want to blame other for their mistakes or shortcomings, but blame should be placed where it is due.

Myth or not, it gives other people their impression of how America is. We sue for everything. Even “normal temp” coffee will cause burns. Just a “risk” we take in drinking it. But to sue Ford over disappointment in a feature, is a little extreme. Wouldn’t a TSB be a little more reasonable? With the number of TSB ford has issued, there is no Blame due to Ford. Ford has stepped up time and time again to fix issues with their cars. Thanks Ford.
Old 7/3/05, 12:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know... I've had Mickey D's coffee many times over the years and I've NEVER had a cup so hot that it so much as burned my tongue. My thought is that this was an isolated incident that was blown out of proportion by the lawyers and the media.

Heck... after that lady purportedly planted a fingertip in a bowl of Wendy's chili, how many cases of people finding fingertips have been reported?

Personally I've known about the global windows down function for many months now. And in the time I've had my 05 I think I've used it... ONCE and probably won't use it often, if ever, again. To me it serves little purpose. So if someone wants to file suit over a frivilous function that serves almost no purpose I say WHATEVER!!! :stubborn: I'd sooner sue Frank Weyer, aka the guy who cost me easy access to IUP back in January with his frivilous law suit.
Old 7/3/05, 12:21 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm so glad I got my car back in Nov.

Isn't there a there a thread listing dealers that were able to re-activate this feature?
Old 7/3/05, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Mike06_10pm@July 2, 2005, 10:55 PM
ok forget the coffee part cause I dont want to say its stupid, but truthfully it has no real importance here. I want to agree with you 100% but I really cant because your thinking too much for the 'public'. True, you should know everything before you bought this car but alot, and I mean alot dont know much walking into the dealership.

But, Im sorry bro, there was atleast 1 thing this car had that you did not know about. Something that when you went home, maybe a week after you got the car, made you grin really hard cause a week later you just noticed something, something small, something you will prob. never use, but knowing its in your car made you happy. Everyone knows what Im saying, its just too hard to explain, so please dont say 'I just found this feature now I have to go pay my dealer for it' cause thats stupid. This also means if something is missing when it was supposed to be their and I dont notice it right away I shouldnt be refunded/or given the part/service for what I payed for. I should have this feature and it doesnt work on my car, truthfully I didnt know about it since my dealer never told me, but Ford knew about it and it also stated the car had it in the last papers I signed at the dealership.... meaning they told me something when it wasnt their, weither I was to check it or not they were trying to sell a vehicle with something in it, that wasnt their. That is misdirection, wrong and pretty horrible to say the least. But oh well cause I know for dam sure if it was that serious my dealer would have already known the business

So, what im trying to say, every person who goes out and buys a new mustang, v6 or GT does not know as much as you with buying a car, or a mustang for that matter. You have to accept the fact that the public is going to buy this car since its extremely hot, nothing compares, you cant expect everyone to be on this and other forums 24/7 before they even have the car, especially if its their first mustang(like mine)
-mike

So ford can throw in a bunch of features with the car for no cost, and that’s great. But when one of these features doesn’t work right, you say “Ha! I got ripped off.” Be happy with all the features you got that didn’t affect the sticker price one dollar. That window feature was an added part to the anti theft package. It wasn’t the focus of that package, but merely a added “ That’s pretty cool”. I bet removing the windows feature from the sticker wouldn’t even change the sticker price. If you bought the car wanting that feature specifically, you should have check it out before signing the papers.
Old 7/3/05, 12:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally don't think this is worth a lawsuit but, I don't think Ford handled this very well and should offer to do something about it. Turning it off and not fixing it is not what I payed for. I was really happy that this feature was on my car. It tends to get a little hot around here in the summer even with tint and window shades. I was looking forward to letting my windows down to cool the interior down before I get in. So this feature might not mean anything to some but, it does to me.
Ford won't issue a TSB since they elected to just disable it and not tell anyone about it hoping we would forget it's on our car or something. They seem to be able to make it work on all their other cars so why not this one? I stand up for Ford all the time against my non Ford friends but, they really let me and others down on this one.
If I was to find a feature I didn't know about before there is no reason for me to give Ford more money for since I already paid for it the first. This would fall into added value. Global windows, while just a small part of the Active Anti-Theft package, was paid for and not received. I just want it fixed!
Old 7/3/05, 12:42 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe most people who ordered the active anti-theft option mainly wanted it for the global windows. However, I don't think it's worth a lawsuit.
Old 7/3/05, 12:42 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by stupidgenius36@July 2, 2005, 10:43 PM
If you have the active anti-theft device, then you can open and close the windows using the key in the door lock cylinder or you can open the windows using the unlock button on the key fob. (As long as your's hasn't been deactivated.)
Could be a stupid question. I have that feature and it works fine. Has Ford turned that feature off at the factory now? I took delivery of my Stang in Oct before this happened I'm sure.
Old 7/3/05, 12:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They disabled it back in late January or early February.

Quick Reply: Global Windows