Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
WTH?! That sucks Arin!
Old 11/5/11, 07:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Whoa!
Old 11/5/11, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear! Do you have any idea why it came off?
Old 11/5/11, 09:08 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems to just have been loose lug nuts I haven't taken those wheels off in a long time but I guess the crappy roads around here are enough to shake them off. Its happened on the bullitt before but I caught it in time bec I felt the vibrations. Hopefully the brake isn't too badly messed up :/ if its not too bad then its just the bodywork. Sigh. At least the front end was driving great
Old 11/5/11, 10:48 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^sorry to hear that, but that last statement set off a funny visualization in my head. driving down the road on the front two tires only.
Old 11/6/11, 06:26 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
This car is cursed I tell you. You need to take it to an exorcist. Not a mechanic.
Old 11/6/11, 11:05 AM
Post *****

or i could sacrifice a lamb or something to appease it
Old 11/6/11, 11:11 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
It seems to just have been loose lug nuts I haven't taken those wheels off in a long time but I guess the crappy roads around here are enough to shake them off. Its happened on the bullitt before but I caught it in time bec I felt the vibrations. Hopefully the brake isn't too badly messed up :/ if its not too bad then its just the bodywork. Sigh. At least the front end was driving great

Great... just great...

Now we're all going to have to pay for and put up with LNMS on top of TPMS.

What a lug nut!
Old 11/6/11, 11:33 AM
Post *****

clearly the key is to just weld your wheels on
Old 11/6/11, 11:39 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
clearly the key is to just weld your wheels on

Glad the damage wasn't worse.
Old 11/6/11, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
or i could sacrifice a lamb or something to appease it
Mmmnn... Lamb. Gyros. Chops. Mint Jelly.

Glad you're ok... things happen, but man, it just seems that poor II is a lil' jinxed...

It's ok, could be worse, and you can fix it... this has been proven.
Old 11/6/11, 12:25 PM
Post *****

Thanks everyone. I can't really blame the car, since truthfully this was caused by my own lack of attention. Just remember everyone. Always check your nuts to make sure they're on right. The consequences could be disastrous otherwise

I'll get started today after the niners game
Old 11/6/11, 03:41 PM
Post *****

got some more pics of the carnage after i took the drum cover off.

the main part doesn't look too bad, but a few pieces fell out and they didn't look all too hot. though theres a lot of wobbliness and play in the whole thing, but i've been chalking that up to the fact that those said pieces have fallen out in the first place.

I'm not entirely sure I can even use the drum again, its pretty banged up, but maybe some heat and a hammer can help. as it sits now it doesn't feel like the wheel can even seat properly.

I checked to see if either side was still level. the open end is, the outward facing side is not

when i put the cover back on, it was fighting me the whole way. might need to replace all the studs as well. also sprayed some primer over the body damage to prevent any extra rust from starting up.

not pretty, but it beats the alternative
Old 11/6/11, 04:46 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Don't drink and drive Arin.
Old 11/6/11, 05:43 PM
Post *****

the irony here is that that if i'd stayed in bed drinking like I had originally planned and gone out to tinker instead of go to the tire shop this never would have happened lol because I was planning on rolling all the fenders

sigh. all these years ive been fighting my procrastination when here it would have saved me lol
Old 11/6/11, 08:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Better luck than me. My first 302 blew up on my way to work on my off day. It lasted one week and cost ~$1000 to build.
Old 11/6/11, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Arin, you have a trashed left side drum brake. The shoe retainers were pulled out, along with the bent pins, and the stretched springs. The return springs are *both* broken at the top. The drum also sounds trashed, and looks it from what I'm seeing. The holes are wallowed out, and it sounds like it's no longer true.

You are looking at a new set of hardware. The shoes might be ok, the back plate might also be ok (although with the pins pulled through, it might also be a problem...) but all four springs, and the pins and keepers, and a new (gently used?) drum is in order.

Or get a drum to disc conversion that's appropriate, as well as a nice manual proportioning valve. If you got more horses than stock in it, might as well have more stopping available, yeah? Sounds like the perfect opportunity to have the nice trick setup...

Isn't your birthday soon or such? Perhaps a nice present is comin'.

/I don't have to remind you to NOT touch the brakes on the car without the drum in place to prevent explosive brake shoe and/or slave cylinder end deployment, do I? No? Good.
//Cause that'll really mess up your day, yo.

Last edited by houtex; 11/6/11 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11/6/11, 08:50 PM
Cobra Member

the irony here is that that if i'd stayed in bed drinking like I had originally planned and gone out to tinker instead of go to the tire shop this never would have happened lol because I was planning on rolling all the fenders

sigh. all these years ive been fighting my procrastination when here it would have saved me lol
Well had this not happened yesterday at an intersection maybe it would've happened next week driving who knows how fast....just a small silver linking here bud glad everything's not completely screwed....
Old 11/7/11, 01:27 AM
FR500 Member

Could have been a lot worse. And as noted previously, don't bother re-using the trashed components. May as well service both sides, and make sure the correct style lug nuts are used for the wheels in addition to checking them periodically.
Old 11/7/11, 03:01 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by houtex
Arin, you have a trashed left side drum brake. The shoe retainers were pulled out, along with the bent pins, and the stretched springs. The return springs are *both* broken at the top. The drum also sounds trashed, and looks it from what I'm seeing. The holes are wallowed out, and it sounds like it's no longer true.

You are looking at a new set of hardware. The shoes might be ok, the back plate might also be ok (although with the pins pulled through, it might also be a problem...) but all four springs, and the pins and keepers, and a new (gently used?) drum is in order.

Or get a drum to disc conversion that's appropriate, as well as a nice manual proportioning valve. If you got more horses than stock in it, might as well have more stopping available, yeah? Sounds like the perfect opportunity to have the nice trick setup...

Isn't your birthday soon or such? Perhaps a nice present is comin'.

/I don't have to remind you to NOT touch the brakes on the car without the drum in place to prevent explosive brake shoe and/or slave cylinder end deployment, do I? No? Good.
//Cause that'll really mess up your day, yo.
lol no birthday for a while, so spending cash on better rear brakes isn't going to happen anytime soon. besides theres a laundry list of other issues that need dealing with first, but i digress

also the pins were not pulled through, they were just in the drum because i figured i wouldnt lose them if i put them there. I already started lookign at hardware kits, at least they dont seem expensive. Finding a replacement drum is going to be the big deal, because its going to need to be redrilled to the 5 lug pattern. although i *think* the shop said they just used ranger drums. I'll call them in the morning to ask them the details

i also didnt realize i would have to deal with possibility explosive deployment. When i first pulled the drum off, the spring/lower shoe hold down cap thing (the little metal cap for said spring were the only bits that had actually fallen off of their own accord. the pins were still where they should have been, just no longer held in place by the tension of the springs. I had never taken a drum apart before, so i was trying to understand how it all held together.

Thanks though for the tips and the warning

Originally Posted by Shelby08
Well had this not happened yesterday at an intersection maybe it would've happened next week driving who knows how fast....just a small silver linking here bud glad everything's not completely screwed....
I hear that man. My rationale was more along the lines that if i had not gone out, I would have moseyed on outside to roll all the fenders later in the day, which would have required me to take the wheels off, which would in turn be its own reminder for putting the wheels on tight. but in any case im definitely glad it was not worse than this

hopefully she'll be back on the road soon

Quick Reply: *Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup