Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only

What did you do with your Mustang today?

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/15, 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Dropped off the hood at the body shop, got a peek at my baby in the ICU...getting there! Looks SO smooth with the antennas and emblems gone! I cannot wait to see it all back together!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your Mustang today?-image.jpg  
Old 4/20/15, 02:06 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,219 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Dropped off the hood at the body shop, got a peek at my baby in the ICU...getting there! Looks SO smooth with the antennas and emblems gone! I cannot wait to see it all back together!
That's awesome Patrick.
How much longer before you get your baby back?
Old 4/20/15, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's awesome Patrick.
How much longer before you get your baby back?

Thanks Tony, possibly end of the week, but more likely next week. Waiting on the prepainted louvers from SHR!
Old 4/20/15, 02:26 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Thanks Tony, possibly end of the week, but more likely next week. Waiting on the prepainted louvers from SHR!
Looks great Patrick. So they replaced the whole rear, and driver side right? They're not painting the whole car, are they?
Old 4/20/15, 02:27 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,219 Posts
Awesome Patrick!
I'm sure there will be plenty of pics! Good to hear.
Old 4/20/15, 02:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Looks great Patrick. So they replaced the whole rear, and driver side right? They're not painting the whole car, are they?
Just driver side door and fender, repaired driver side 1/4 panel. Everything is taken apart for paint because yes, entire car is being repainted minus the bumpers. GPS and radio antennas shaved, as well as fender emblems. Everything minus the bumpers is going to be brand new! No orange peel. Wet sanded and buffed to high heaven.
Old 4/20/15, 03:03 PM
I Have No Life

Just driver side door and fender, repaired driver side 1/4 panel. Everything is taken apart for paint because yes, entire car is being repainted minus the bumpers. GPS and radio antennas shaved, as well as fender emblems. Everything minus the bumpers is going to be brand new! No orange peel. Wet sanded and buffed to high heaven.
Nice!!!

But still, I'm baffled, because if the damage is to the driver side pieces, why are they painting the whole car? Yours is a 2013 or 14 right? So it would be too new to have fade (or a need to blend), so they would just have to paint the new pieces. The entire right side plus hood is all the same undamaged? So why would insurance pay to have it all painted again? I mean, that's great that it's getting done, but I don't think my insurance would have done that. Kudos to you!!!
Old 4/20/15, 03:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Nice!!!

But still, I'm baffled, because if the damage is to the driver side pieces, why are they painting the whole car? Yours is a 2013 or 14 right? So it would be too new to have fade (or a need to blend), so they would just have to paint the new pieces. The entire right side plus hood is all the same undamaged? So why would insurance pay to have it all painted again? I mean, that's great that it's getting done, but I don't think my insurance would have done that. Kudos to you!!!
It would still be difficult to match 100%. It's not like they get a can of "Ford Whatever" paint and it matches every single car that came off the assembly line with the same color (especially with any flakes in the paint).

I had my drivers side quarter panel repainted (whole thing), and if I look REAL close I can see a very small difference between it and the roof paint. That's why I had them repaint the whole panel versus just blending it, even though it only had 5000 miles at the time (was a small spot that got dented/cracked).

It'll probably look a lot better with the whole car repainted, and to be honest with the damage on his vehicle it's not exactly that much more work to just do it all.
Old 4/20/15, 04:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Your car is going to be beyond beautiful. Can't wait.
Old 4/20/15, 07:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
It would still be difficult to match 100%. It's not like they get a can of "Ford Whatever" paint and it matches every single car that came off the assembly line with the same color (especially with any flakes in the paint).

I had my drivers side quarter panel repainted (whole thing), and if I look REAL close I can see a very small difference between it and the roof paint. That's why I had them repaint the whole panel versus just blending it, even though it only had 5000 miles at the time (was a small spot that got dented/cracked).

It'll probably look a lot better with the whole car repainted, and to be honest with the damage on his vehicle it's not exactly that much more work to just do it all.
Pretty much this. But like I've said, I'm having the emblems shaved and antennas shaved. Those are on every metal panel on the car. I'm getting a fat return check from the body shop for not re-doing my clear bra, aligning the car (coilovers and BMR suspension going on as soon as I get it back, so it'll need to be aligned then), or refinishing the wheels (they buffed out the light scratches on them), so the labor and materials for reprinting the hood and right side of the car canceled out all those things. Basically only thing I'm paying out of pocket for are the antenna shave and passenger rear 1/4 panel, and trunk panel paint.

Bad news though - the body shop opened the box for the hood, and it's all cracked. Sinister is calling Cervini's to see if they can rush a replacement. Sinister checked it out at their shop when it arrived, but I don't know if they actually took it out of the box - I guess there are metal plates that the hood is mounted to before it's boxed up, so even if the cardboard caves, the hood still holds its shape. The body shop thinks it was cracked before the metal plates were installed, meaning it was shipped from Cervini's that way. We'll see what they say tomorrow. Really disappointed, especially since this is exactly why I wanted the hood shipped directly to the body shop.

There's also a delay with my SHR louvers too, which had imperfections and got sent back to paint by SHR, so it's looking like at least another week if not 2.
Old 4/21/15, 09:40 AM
I Have No Life

Pretty much this. But like I've said, I'm having the emblems shaved and antennas shaved. Those are on every metal panel on the car. I'm getting a fat return check from the body shop for not re-doing my clear bra, aligning the car (coilovers and BMR suspension going on as soon as I get it back, so it'll need to be aligned then), or refinishing the wheels (they buffed out the light scratches on them), so the labor and materials for reprinting the hood and right side of the car canceled out all those things. Basically only thing I'm paying out of pocket for are the antenna shave and passenger rear 1/4 panel, and trunk panel paint.

Bad news though - the body shop opened the box for the hood, and it's all cracked. Sinister is calling Cervini's to see if they can rush a replacement. Sinister checked it out at their shop when it arrived, but I don't know if they actually took it out of the box - I guess there are metal plates that the hood is mounted to before it's boxed up, so even if the cardboard caves, the hood still holds its shape. The body shop thinks it was cracked before the metal plates were installed, meaning it was shipped from Cervini's that way. We'll see what they say tomorrow. Really disappointed, especially since this is exactly why I wanted the hood shipped directly to the body shop.

There's also a delay with my SHR louvers too, which had imperfections and got sent back to paint by SHR, so it's looking like at least another week if not 2.
So wait... what does that mean, you're NOT getting clear bra'd???? Dude. Please tell me you are, still. ClearBra is the single, most important "mod" a person can do for their vehicle. Period.

I just got my Acura Xpel'd this week (I know the owner). Dang it looks brand new again. So much better than 3M. And 10 year warranty for anything. If a rock chips paint underneath, Xpel will pay for painting/fixing and reapplication.
Old 4/21/15, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I didn't say that. I said they're not re-doing it at the body shop. You can't apply clear bra for 30 days after painting anyways. Except for the front bumper and mirror caps, all the previous clear bra was removed for paint/replacing the driver's side fender.

I'll be doing it again, but this time I'm doing the whole fenders now that there's no emblem. I hated the lines on the fenders before. This way the entire front end will be covered, and I'm considering the side skirts too.

The more important point of my last post, however, was the f*cked up hood!
Old 4/21/15, 12:52 PM
I Have No Life

I didn't say that. I said they're not re-doing it at the body shop. You can't apply clear bra for 30 days after painting anyways. Except for the front bumper and mirror caps, all the previous clear bra was removed for paint/replacing the driver's side fender.

I'll be doing it again, but this time I'm doing the whole fenders now that there's no emblem. I hated the lines on the fenders before. This way the entire front end will be covered, and I'm considering the side skirts too.

The more important point of my last post, however, was the f*cked up hood!
Good. You know me and paint. I'm really loving the Xpel. Make sure you go with them... optically clear, great warranty, and awesome customer service.

As for the hood, am sorry to hear about that. I thought Cervini's was supposed to be the best of all the hoods? Is this to be expected or? I was thinking about getting one soon But yeah, no worries Patrick, it will be fixed and look good as new soon. Your patience will be tested!
Old 4/21/15, 01:07 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Burton--Who does the Xpel in CR? TIA
Old 4/21/15, 03:43 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by smike308
Burton--Who does the Xpel in CR? TIA
What's up Mike. Reflections Detailing. Ask for Chris. Make sure you mention me

I have a thread in the general chat for pics of my Xpel on my Acura.
Old 4/21/15, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Patrick that is going to be badass man!

All I did with my mustang today is drive it to work and order parts and a tune.
Old 4/21/15, 05:27 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Drove it, as God intended. He also commanded me to seek out high-end Meguiars products to use with my new, untried DA buffer.
Old 4/21/15, 10:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Patrick that is going to be badass man!

All I did with my mustang today is drive it to work and order parts and a tune.
Probably going to reassemble with the stock hood until it gets sorted out between Sinister and Cervini's. Still waiting on the SHR louvers too. Dropped off the Roush chin and lower grille parts. Still have to paint some pieces. I'm going to hold off on installing the side splitters until I can paint them. Just don't have time now that I'm back at work full time. Here's another teaser. The shaved fenders and quarter panels look AMAZING. The spoiler is off right now too, and I almost love the spoilerless look too
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your Mustang today?-image.jpg  
Old 4/21/15, 11:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally here

I saw it at the dealer for the first time. Ordered 2/10, arrived today!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your Mustang today?-10406990_10206725449673626_3867941137806069929_n.jpg  
Old 4/22/15, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably going to reassemble with the stock hood until it gets sorted out between Sinister and Cervini's. Still waiting on the SHR louvers too. Dropped off the Roush chin and lower grille parts. Still have to paint some pieces. I'm going to hold off on installing the side splitters until I can paint them. Just don't have time now that I'm back at work full time. Here's another teaser. The shaved fenders and quarter panels look AMAZING. The spoiler is off right now too, and I almost love the spoilerless look too
If you are taking votes, mine would be to go without the spoiler. I've just never been a fan and think our cars look so much better without them. If you're going for the "shaved down" look, go all the way!

Last edited by cdiaz1069; 4/22/15 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your Mustang today?