Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/11, 09:43 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
You wouldn't believe the amount of hate I left out of that speech.
Old 1/21/11, 10:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Finally getting to see the Boss 302 Special on Speed
Old 1/21/11, 11:05 PM

I'm doing spanish homework that was due six minutes ago.
Old 1/21/11, 11:10 PM

Get to talk about diversity in my community now. Triple woot!

NOTE SARCASM!
Old 1/22/11, 02:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Why the #$%# do remotes for remote starters have to be so expensive?

A couple weeks ago I couldn't remote start the Trailblazer. I put a new battery in the remote, still no worky. I grabbed the 2nd remote, and it worked. Well, less then 2 weeks later, that one stopped working. I put a new battery in that one and still no go. Now both remotes don't work.

Took a trip down to the store I bought/installed it from and the lady there couldn't program it so she sent me to their other store that does the installs and have a tech look at it. Well, it turns out that both remotes did go bad within 2 weeks of each other.

A replacement remote is going to cost $89.00.

Just like razor blades and printer ink, that is WAY OVERPRICED. No way I can afford that right now, nor do I want to pay that much for a remote, but without it what good is the starter?

So on the way home I stopped back at the original store to let her know that the remotes were bad and to see if they had anything cheaper or used in stock. She found an original one like mine that was new, but that was still $59.00. I explained my financial woes and said I saw a used one on eBay for $20 that I would have to get instead.

She wanted to try the new remote to see if she could program it, but failed. The igntion on-on/brake/toggle switch sequence is tricky when programming and couldn't get it. Neither could I.

As she was giving up, she handed me the new remote and told me to try the option of programming that I knew how to do by accessing the module tucked away under the dash. She understood that times were tough and merry "late" Christmas.

So, i got home and in the 20º weather out here today, I got out my sockets and pulled down the knee panel and accessed the starter module, attempted to program it, and tadaaaa! It worked! Just in time too since it's gonna be 10 below zero here Mon and Tues nights.

That was very nice of her and something she didn't have to do. There are still some decent businesses out there that care about and take care of their customers. Just figured I'd share.
Old 1/22/11, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
Why the #$%# do remotes for remote starters have to be so expensive?

A couple weeks ago I couldn't remote start the Trailblazer. I put a new battery in the remote, still no worky. I grabbed the 2nd remote, and it worked. Well, less then 2 weeks later, that one stopped working. I put a new battery in that one and still no go. Now both remotes don't work.

Took a trip down to the store I bought/installed it from and the lady there couldn't program it so she sent me to their other store that does the installs and have a tech look at it. Well, it turns out that both remotes did go bad within 2 weeks of each other.

A replacement remote is going to cost $89.00.

Just like razor blades and printer ink, that is WAY OVERPRICED. No way I can afford that right now, nor do I want to pay that much for a remote, but without it what good is the starter?

So on the way home I stopped back at the original store to let her know that the remotes were bad and to see if they had anything cheaper or used in stock. She found an original one like mine that was new, but that was still $59.00. I explained my financial woes and said I saw a used one on eBay for $20 that I would have to get instead.

She wanted to try the new remote to see if she could program it, but failed. The igntion on-on/brake/toggle switch sequence is tricky when programming and couldn't get it. Neither could I.

As she was giving up, she handed me the new remote and told me to try the option of programming that I knew how to do by accessing the module tucked away under the dash. She understood that times were tough and merry "late" Christmas.

So, i got home and in the 20º weather out here today, I got out my sockets and pulled down the knee panel and accessed the starter module, attempted to program it, and tadaaaa! It worked! Just in time too since it's gonna be 10 below zero here Mon and Tues nights.

That was very nice of her and something she didn't have to do. There are still some decent businesses out there that care about and take care of their customers. Just figured I'd share.
Nice to hear there are still good people who will give you a hand when you're down.
Old 1/22/11, 05:33 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay Gary, this is what I found.
First made sure the needle was zero'd, then when I connected it went negative and pegged the meter.
So after a few tries I thought I'd reset the needle to like 100 to see how much it would decline.
As I'm grabbing the screwdriver I thought about changing the leads. Doubted it would work because a meter doesn't know if its a red or black wire right?
Apparently wrong. Because when I reversed the leads I got a positive reading. The angle of the camera makes it look like 56, but in person looking straight down it shows 55 straight up.
Again, I just started mine up this week after setting in the garage for 60 days. Though it fired right up, it sounded a tad weaker so I think that's about the safe extent for my battery.
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-batt-test1.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-batt-test2.jpg  

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/22/11 at 06:37 PM.
Old 1/22/11, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Okay Gary, this is what I found.
First made sure the needle was zero'd, then when I connected it went negative and pegged the meter.
So after a few tries I thought I'd reset the needle to like 100 to see how much it would decline.
As I'm grabbing the screwdriver I thought about changing the leads. Doubted it would work because a meter doesn't know if its a red or black wire right?
Apparently wrong. Because when I reversed the leads I got a positive reading. The angle of the camera makes it look like 61 or 62, but in person looking straight down it shows 60 straight up.
Again, I just started mine up this week after setting in the garage for 60 days. Though it fired right up, it sounded a tad weaker so I think that's about the safe extent for my battery.
You have a short somewhere.
Old 1/22/11, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Check your headlight circuit. It may not be a short to ground, but a short to another power circuit/wire. I know it sounds strange but a simular thing happened to me.
Old 1/22/11, 06:06 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Thanks Charlie!

That was awesome of you to do.

I just spent a couple of hours on it and with everything connected and plugged in I am down to 114mA.

How do I check the headlight switch?

What's weird is that there is no fuse in either the junction box or the distribution box for the headlights. The fog lights and high beams have a fuse. So where is that fuse so i can pull it and test it?
Old 1/22/11, 06:16 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by rushc66
Check your headlight circuit. It may not be a short to ground, but a short to another power circuit/wire. I know it sounds strange but a simular thing happened to me.
Are you talking to me or Gary?

If mine has a short then why is my battery the good one? It has never come close to dying during winter storage for 3 winters now.

PS: I do have factory HID's and active alarm. Though all the doors were closed so no lights would be on and key out of the ignition like Gary wanted, there would still be an active (would I say open?) circuit for the infrared and other sensors, correct? There's that red light that blinks when the car is off and the motion sensor and perhaps the dusk sensor too that automatically turns the dash lights on.
Old 1/22/11, 06:30 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 187 Likes on 125 Posts
That was really nice of her Dennis. I know I'm getting spoiled using the remote starter in the 250 since I've been driving it all week. We are expecting more winter weather on Tuesday so it looks like I will be driving that most of next week too.
Old 1/22/11, 06:31 PM
Post *****

I know my biggest problem was with the fuse box I made in the trunk for the added gt500 fuel pump. I plugged it back in and the meter stayed on 2.0A for well over 2 minutes. Who knows how long that was going on. Hopefully I am back to the days when the car would last at least two weeks.
Old 1/22/11, 06:31 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Thanks Charlie!

What's weird is that there is no fuse in either the junction box or the distribution box for the headlights. The fog lights and high beams have a fuse. So where is that fuse so i can pull it and test it?
You got it friend.

I'm trying to remember Bullitt threads about the fogs. If I remember correctly, the headlight wiring harness includes the fog circuit (why change that from a stock GT) but no switch. So that would make me think maybe your fog circuit is combined with the low beams also - as a base circuit?

Funny! I googled "fog light wiring harness in Bullitt imboc" and my anti-imboc signature came up SECOND in the entire universe! Wicked cool! hahahahahahahahaha

That'll teach those dorks to screw with us Missouri boys! hahahahahaha

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/22/11 at 11:02 PM.
Old 1/22/11, 06:39 PM
Post *****

OOOPS! I was misreading the meter. Each hash mark is 5.

CORRECTED EDIT: The angle of the camera makes it look like 56, but in person looking straight down it shows 55 straight up.

So it that good, bad, within range?
Old 1/22/11, 06:42 PM
Post *****

OOOPS! I was misreading the meter. Each hash mark is 5.

CORRECTED EDIT: The angle of the camera makes it look like 56, but in person looking straight down it shows 55 straight up.

So it that good, bad, within range?
From what I understand that is a good healthy number. Should be around 50 mA from what I've read. I was hoping it would be a little more, but that was wishful thinking. Now I know I'm looking for 50 as opposed to 114. At least its better than the 450 I started with!
Old 1/22/11, 06:57 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 187 Likes on 125 Posts
Question for you Gary. Are you able to post in IV from your iPad? I was just going to post but my keyboard didn't come up
Old 1/22/11, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you talking to me or Gary?

If mine has a short then why is my battery the good one? It has never come close to dying during winter storage for 3 winters now.

PS: I do have factory HID's and active alarm. Though all the doors were closed so no lights would be on and key out of the ignition like Gary wanted, there would still be an active (would I say open?) circuit for the infrared and other sensors, correct? There's that red light that blinks when the car is off and the motion sensor and perhaps the dusk sensor too that automatically turns the dash lights on.
I was talking to Gary, sorry, I was reading the check you did for him and clicked reply. The thing I was thinking was when he disconnectded the connectors the headlights came on which could be a short from another power source. It's kinda strange but I had close to the same problem in a motorcycle.
Old 1/22/11, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Also most 12V LED have a mA rating of 20-30mA some could be more with larger or several LEDs.
Old 1/22/11, 07:37 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
Question for you Gary. Are you able to post in IV from your iPad? I was just going to post but my keyboard didn't come up
I can't. I've never been able to.

Yet I can post there from my iPhone

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast