Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/10, 10:34 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Time for bed. Later people.

Old 4/13/10, 10:38 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Time for bed. Later people.

Who do you think you are calling 'people'?!?!

Later dude.
Old 4/13/10, 10:42 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Honestly, that is exactly what I would do. Not only for my own peace of mind, but if it is an ongoing relationship (especially if it is business related) I would do it as a sign of good faith.
That is one of the main reasons I try to avoid doing business with family or friends.
I learned a long time ago that you have to look past a short term loss, and focus on what could be a long term gain. You never know what might pop up 2 years from now that you might need help from that guy. It may never happen, but I can guarantee that he won't forget that you manned up and did what an honorable man would at least offer. Hell, he may not even accept it (I wouldn't if the shoe was on the other foot) but by God I would know what kind of man he was. A guy might have the biggest house, the hottest wife, the fastest car, and longest pecker, but he ain't s#!t without character. That is what makes a man a man.
you guys are aboslutely right. and that's what I would do as well. it may not seem like all that much of a big thing right now, but an act like that will leave a huge impression. I know if someone did that for me, I'd help them out as much as i could with w/e I could. I'm still a believer in the fact that a man is nothing without a decent reputation.
Old 4/14/10, 01:27 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I wonder how many strings had to be yanked to pull this off in the world's busiest airport with all of the security issues and such that are involved now?

Watch the whole thing, I actually thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBAHs...ayer_embedded#
Old 4/14/10, 01:44 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
I'm still a believer in the fact that a man is nothing without a decent reputation.
While that's true, its not like Gary did anything wrong or purposely stuck somebody. Time and unforseen occurrence befall us all - including when we buy used vehicles. As is means as is. I always write up a Bill of Sale that states certain parameters in addition to the State Title.

If the guy should question the vehicle's soundness at the time of sale, present service records.

Besides, it could also be true that the guy went hard core four wheelin' and didn't treat the trans properly.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/14/10 at 01:46 AM.
Old 4/14/10, 02:40 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
While that's true, its not like Gary did anything wrong or purposely stuck somebody. Time and unforseen occurrence befall us all - including when we buy used vehicles. As is means as is. I always write up a Bill of Sale that states certain parameters in addition to the State Title.

If the guy should question the vehicle's soundness at the time of sale, present service records.

Besides, it could also be true that the guy went hard core four wheelin' and didn't treat the trans properly.
True, but a man's legal responsibility and moral responsibility are 2 different things. The fact that he knows the guy to be a good person, and has a business relationship with him changes things significantly. If it was some joe blow off of the street that he had never met and might not ever see again it would be different. And I don't care how rough he treated the vehicle, with only 30k miles, and only 8 weeks since he sold it, there is a problem there. Is it Gary's responsibility? Legally, no. It was a used car. But the fact that this is someone he knows and has to deal with on a regular basis makes it a wise decision for him to step up and at least offer to help rectify the problem. It make him look like the better man in the long run. Even if the guy says he knows that Gary wouldn't try to screw him, you and I both know that it will be forever in the back of his mind that maybe he did know and didn't say anything. A gesture to help rectify the problem would alleviate the problem and will go a long way in future dealings.

Scenario #1
The guy is sitting around with his drinking buddies in the future and one of them asks, "do you know Gary _______?" And he says "Yeah, I know him, seems like a good dude, BUT, I bought a $30K truck from him one time that he said was perfect, and 2 months later the ******* transmission fell out of it and he acted like it was my fault. Didn't even offer to help me out with it.

Scenario #2

The guy is sitting around with his drinking buddies and one of them asks, "do you know Gary________?" And he says "Yeah, I know him. I bought a $30K truck from him one time and 2 months later the ******* transmission fell out of it. You know what he did? He offered to pay half of the repair bill and apologized for what happened. I knew it wasn't his fault, but I realized what kind of person he was. I wouldn't hesitate to make any kind of deal with him or do business with his company. He's a **** good man that has no problem standing behind his word.

Things like that spread like wildfire in a small community, especially when it comes to business owners. That 900 bucks could possibly be worth big bucks in the future as word gets around as to what type of morals Gary has. Good practices in personal dealings translate well into business morals when the rumor mill gets cranked up.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 4/14/10 at 03:03 AM.
Old 4/14/10, 03:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well put sir !
Old 4/14/10, 11:06 AM

Nothing all day?

Waiting for my class to start. 4.5 hours to go.
Old 4/14/10, 11:41 AM
Post *****

True, but a man's legal responsibility and moral responsibility are 2 different things. The fact that he knows the guy to be a good person, and has a business relationship with him changes things significantly.
I understand all that. I do. And if Gary chooses to help with the repair out of the kindness of his heart - and to maintain a business relationship - that would be above board.

But I disagree with how you are implying Gary even has a moral responsibility. The truck ran fine when he sold it according to the info I've read. Was the price fair for a used truck? If so then the discount for potential repairs on a used vehicle is priced in. And if Gary represented it fairly, he has neither a legal or moral responsibility. Machines can and do break.

You are sort of setting Gary up for being a bad guy if he chooses not to help with the repair.

As far as the small town gossip goes, you are assuming that the 'good news' (in the event of Gary helping with the repair) would be repeated accurately. When it comes to small town gossip, neither good news or bad news is ever repeated accurately. Only a handful of Gary's inside circle would know. And if the buyer is kind of a jerk (or his friends are), he'll take the help, but from now on feel he 'got a lemon from that Gary', and any repair from here on out will be 'because of that Gary'.

Small town gossip is a no win situation. And regardless what you do - stand on principle or bend over - once the beatches get cacklin' you're gonna get some chicken scratch on you.

So IMO, Gary would be setting himself up for future liability (and even worse future gossip) if he is 'too eager' to help. And there's a potential legal issue in the future if Gary 'admits' (by his actions) the truck was defective by his being too willing to help (I'd run it by my shark). I'd stand on the service records and the fact he sold a used truck at a used truck price 'as is'.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/14/10 at 02:58 PM.
Old 4/14/10, 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

If Gary does decide to help I think a written as to why he is doing so should be there to no leave thy self open & liable , so a prenump agreement should be done.
Old 4/14/10, 02:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
hello...hope everyone is doing good..

update on grandma: been in the hospital for the past 3 days and has to stay 6-10 more...is having heart and kidney problems...shes pissed at my mom for taking her to the hospital due to the fact she wanted to die in her own home..

all i wish right now is to be in Ukraine with them
Old 4/14/10, 03:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's hard when you want to be there. I just lost my step-dad last night. He hadn't been feeling well and Monday after Easter my mother took him to the doctor. From there they sent him straight to the hospital. He had pnumonia and never recovered from it.
Old 4/14/10, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dang I feel bad for everyones situation and wish that I could trade off some low life criminal that's just wasteing air to take place of those that should live !
Old 4/14/10, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by zhovkva89

update on grandma: been in the hospital for the past 3 days and has to stay 6-10 more...is having heart and kidney problems...shes pissed at my mom for taking her to the hospital due to the fact she wanted to die in her own home..

Originally Posted by denlem
It's hard when you want to be there. I just lost my step-dad last night. He hadn't been feeling well and Monday after Easter my mother took him to the doctor. From there they sent him straight to the hospital. He had pnumonia and never recovered from it.
Sorry to hear guys. I'll keep your families in my prayers.
Old 4/14/10, 04:51 PM
Post *****

It always amazes me how sneaky pneumonia is. Many just think they have a cough or a cold and then it is suddenly too far along to reverse.

Condolences.
Old 4/14/10, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The truck I sold only about 8 weeks ago with only 30,000 miles on it...

the tranny blew. Parts were grinding and it needs a rebuild. The only warranty on the 2006's was a 3/36k warranty. In 2007 they added a 5/60k powertrain warranty. So basically the guy is screwed. I can't believe this happened. No warning whatsoever. And no way this guy did anything to make this happen. It's some really freaky stuff. The guy called me and I went down to the dealer to see what I could do and nothing. No warranty coverage at all.

I think its bull**** that Ford had no warranty beyond 3 years on the transmission and motor at least back in 2006. Complete B.S. But what can I do about it? That's just the way it is.

He's not asking me for anything, but why does **** like this happen. I sell something that always worked flawlessly for me and then boom. It breaks for the next guy.
Now that's a strange thing to happen with such a low mileage vehicle
Originally Posted by zhovkva89

I know how you feel. But you need to stay strong for both your mom and grandmas behalf. They will need your moral support and strength. My best wishes for your grandma.
Originally Posted by denlem
So sad to hear about your step-dad.
Old 4/14/10, 05:00 PM

Anyone else get the email from AM today to save $15 if you spend $100? Says it's three days only, but they don't give the specific dates.
Old 4/14/10, 05:13 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The truck I sold only about 8 weeks ago with only 30,000 miles on it...

the tranny blew. Parts were grinding and it needs a rebuild. The only warranty on the 2006's was a 3/36k warranty. In 2007 they added a 5/60k powertrain warranty. So basically the guy is screwed. I can't believe this happened. No warning whatsoever. And no way this guy did anything to make this happen. It's some really freaky stuff. The guy called me and I went down to the dealer to see what I could do and nothing. No warranty coverage at all.

I think its bull**** that Ford had no warranty beyond 3 years on the transmission and motor at least back in 2006. Complete B.S. But what can I do about it? That's just the way it is.

He's not asking me for anything, but why does **** like this happen. I sell something that always worked flawlessly for me and then boom. It breaks for the next guy.
That sucks dude

I'm kinda iffy on helping to pay or not though, it would help your business relationship a bit, but it wasn't your fault at all. Like Charlie said, there's really no way to win here, offer up front too willingly and he'll think you knew something was up and just happened to have the money to pay for it right away, or do nothing except apologize and he'll think you knew anyway.
Old 4/14/10, 05:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
It always amazes me how sneaky pneumonia is. Many just think they have a cough or a cold and then it is suddenly too far along to reverse.

Condolences.
That's pretty much how it went. He survived an aneurism, major heart surgery, throat cancer, prostate cancer, and a hip replacement. Then this sneaks up on him. He was 75 and his mother is still kicking at 99!
Old 4/14/10, 06:47 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Sorry to hear guys. I'll keep your families in my prayers.
+1 Sorry to hear it guys. Losing someone close is never easy

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast