Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/09, 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
slow this morning.. good to see that ya'll are in church.

what are you doing, posting from the pulpit?
Old 11/8/09, 09:20 AM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
you gotta full size bed

What good does that do me for the sound system? I want it where I sit, not where I throw stuff in
Old 11/8/09, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
What good does that do me for the sound system? I want it where I sit, not where I throw stuff in

oh come on I was just kidding
Old 11/8/09, 10:57 AM

Uh huh. Suuuuuuure
Old 11/8/09, 11:21 AM

Alright guys, it's audio time for me, I'm making a christmas list

1) What does "ohm impedence" mean? Is a lower number better?
2) What's the difference between a sub with voice coils, and a sub without?
3) What's a component speaker?
4) What's a co-axial speaker?
5) On the head unit, if I wanna put a sub on, should I make sure to get one with the pre-amp output for the sub?
Old 11/8/09, 11:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
slow this morning.. good to see that ya'll are in church.
I went last night.

I want pizza so bad!
Old 11/8/09, 11:30 AM

5) On the head unit, if I wanna put a sub on, should I make sure to get one with the pre-amp output for the sub?
1. Some amps offer more power at lower impedances (ohms). Lower numbers are usually a good thing.
2. No idea...
3. The woofers and tweeters are separate units. It's like with the Mach 460-the woofers are in the door, and the tweeters are up on the mirrors. They usually offer better sound imaging, so it sounds like everything is spread out in front of you, rather than just on the sides...
4. The tweeter and woofer are mounted together.
5. Get one with at least four outputs. You'd want one set for the sub, and one set for if you ever decide to amp the front speakers.
Old 11/8/09, 11:44 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

Resistance. A lower ohm impedance on a speaker will cause your amplifier to work harder and run hotter but deliver more watts. A higher number on the speaker will cause your amp to run cooler, but not deliver near as many watts. In cars a 4 ohm number used to be the standard. Anything above 4 is just too high. Subs are generally 2 or 4ohm, or in configurations that you can wire them 2 or 4 ohm. 2 ohm is becoming much more common place on other speakers as well. 2 ohm should not have the fidelity that a 4 or even 8 ohm would have. But car stereos are not about fidelity. Road noise kills any chance of that.

All subs that I know of have voice coils. Some have one and some have two. Each voice coil can be amplified or connected to an amp. With a dual voice coil you have to connect both to an amp. But you can wire say a dual 2 ohm voice coil amp to an amp so that the amp runs at 4 ohms. But a dual 4 ohm voice coil can be wired to 2 ohm at the amp. Of course you could wire it at 8 ohms but you wouldn't.

A component speaker is a speaker setup made of 'separate' speakers. Each speaker alone does not provide the full range of sound. Components can be purchased in sets for the doors. They usually comprise a woofer and a tweeter. Tweeter is for the highs and woofer is for the mids. You should buy a component compatible in size to your door speakers. Current Fords use 5"x7". You also see alot of 5.25". The mid will be this size and the tweeter will be 1" or so. Components are considered better than co-axial. They allow you to move the tweeter up and away from the mid so that the sound image you hear is more like that of a real sound stage. Tweeters should be more at ear level, or as close as possible. Components must include a 'crossover' to split the sound before it goes to the speaker. You don't want the tweeter working to produce mid range sounds. It's a waste of energy and can damage the tweeter.

Coaxial is the old fashioned all in one speaker. In a two-way coaxial speaker the tweeter is mounted in the center of woofer on a stem of sorts. It's a self contained unit. They also make three way coaxials that place a tweeter and a small mid range speaker in the center above the woofer. These are generally cheaper and work best when you don't want to see the tweeter or have nowhere to put a seperate tweeter.

You should. In a truck all you really need is a good set of door speaker, coaxial or component, a head unit, and an amp with a sub or pair of subs. You can get truck boxes that are ready made to go behind the seats and fit in the slim area. Usually 8's sometimes 10's. You can go crazy from there, but thats a starting point.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 11/8/09 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11/8/09, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
1. Some amps offer more power at lower impedances (ohms). Lower numbers are usually a good thing.
2. No idea...
3. The woofers and tweeters are separate units. It's like with the Mach 460-the woofers are in the door, and the tweeters are up on the mirrors. They usually offer better sound imaging, so it sounds like everything is spread out in front of you, rather than just on the sides...
4. The tweeter and woofer are mounted together.
5. Get one with at least four outputs. You'd want one set for the sub, and one set for if you ever decide to amp the front speakers.
Thank you!

My overall plan for this system is going to be 2 6.5 inch door speakers, 2 tweeters up in the rear corners of the cab, maybe 2 6x9s in the corners behind the seat, and this sub behind the seat
Old 11/8/09, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Not me ( In reference to Cody's post of being in church)
And my bad luck still continues My glasses broke last night. Bye bye $400 I temporarily fixed them with some black emblem adhesive, since it was the spring mechanism inside the glasses leg that broke. Oh well, they lasted a good two years, but I expected more of such expensive stuff. Calvin Klein my a**!

Last edited by edumspeed; 11/8/09 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11/8/09, 11:51 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by edumspeed
And my bad luck still continues My glasses broke last night. Bye bye $400 I temporarily fixed them with some black emblem adhesive, since it was the spring mechanism inside the glasses leg that broke. Oh well, they lasted a good two years, but I expected more of such expensive stuff. Calvin Klein my a**!
$400

That sucks man.

Get contacts.
Old 11/8/09, 11:51 AM

Thank you!

My overall plan for this system is going to be 2 6.5 inch door speakers, 2 tweeters up in the rear corners of the cab, maybe 2 6x9s in the corners behind the seat, and this sub behind the seat
The problem with mounting the tweeters in the rear is all your highs will be coming from behind you, and none in front. There's gotta be somewhere on the dash or near the a-pillar where you could mount them. You might be satisfied with the bazooka, but a regular sub in a box would be better. How much are you looking to spend?

Last edited by Blue Notch; 11/8/09 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11/8/09, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by edumspeed
That sucks Eduardo.
Old 11/8/09, 11:54 AM
Post *****

The problem with mounting the tweeters in the rear is all your highs will be coming from behind you, and none in front. There's gotta be somewhere on the dash or near the a-pillar where you could mount them. You might be satisfied with the bazooka, but a regular sub in a box would be better.
QFT!

Everything Nathan says here is correct.

I had bazookas in my '96 Dodge and didn't care for them. Swapped them for a boxed sub and it was way better. I wouldn't do bazookas again.

Tweeters need to be in front. Don't worry bout whats behind you other than bass. This isn't surround sound. It's stereo sound. You want it to seem like the music is coming from in front of you!
Old 11/8/09, 12:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Thank you!

That may work, but boxes are more pick up friendly due to the fact that they're easier to place than a bass tube imo. Even an amplified sub can make a difference in sound quality.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
$400

That sucks man.

Get contacts.
I can't use contacts due to my astigmatism. My eyes shake like crazy when focusing my eyes on something
That sucks Eduardo.
It sure does.
Old 11/8/09, 12:11 PM

The problem with mounting the tweeters in the rear is all your highs will be coming from behind you, and none in front. There's gotta be somewhere on the dash or near the a-pillar where you could mount them. You might be satisfied with the bazooka, but a regular sub in a box would be better. How much are you looking to spend?
I'm not sure. What leads me to the bass tube is the fact that it will fit. I have roughly 8 inches, can be forced to 8.5 if I take the cardboard cover off the back of the seat and have the foam exposed to rest the speaker against. Basically, I'd prefer it to be at the widest 8 inches, and tapering off as it gets higher. Like a triangular shaped box, when looking from the side
QFT!

Everything Nathan says here is correct.

I had bazookas in my '96 Dodge and didn't care for them. Swapped them for a boxed sub and it was way better. I wouldn't do bazookas again.

Tweeters need to be in front. Don't worry bout whats behind you other than bass. This isn't surround sound. It's stereo sound. You want it to seem like the music is coming from in front of you!
Tweeters in front corner of cab, gotcha

I don't have the space for most boxed subs
Old 11/8/09, 12:16 PM
Post *****

I'm not sure. What leads me to the bass tube is the fact that it will fit. I have roughly 8 inches, can be forced to 8.5 if I take the cardboard cover off the back of the seat and have the foam exposed to rest the speaker against. Basically, I'd prefer it to be at the widest 8 inches, and tapering off as it gets higher. Like a triangular shaped box, when looking from the side
You need specific 'truck' boxes. They are designed this way. They will easily fit behind the seat in a full size half ton regular cab pickup.
Old 11/8/09, 12:22 PM
Post *****

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_236BS11...ST.html?tp=554
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_236S100...0S.html?tp=554
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1369313...v2.html?tp=112
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_136S110...v2.html?tp=112
Old 11/8/09, 12:25 PM

I can't seem to find those on crutchfield... Are they there? Or am I blind?

EDIT: I'm blind

Last edited by mustangGT90210; 11/8/09 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11/8/09, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope. What is NMRA? I'm not doing any racing till i get my relo brackets welded. I"m afraid I'm gonna twist one off. Especially if my traction ever hooked up.

National Mustang Racing Assocation. The event is this weekend(friday-sunday) in Baytown at Houston Raceway Park. It was just a suggestion, and it's not like you have to race.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast