Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

How many Keys do you get?

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/11, 05:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said basically the shape of the key will tell you but it is always better to check, same key worked in the Boss as F150's 08 Mustang and an Explorer. Glad you found one that worked
Old 4/27/11, 02:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stopped at the dealer in Wasilla, AK and was informed that the spare key needs to be made before the TrackKey is installed. The key can be either with or without the remote ctl. Remote Ctl key is about 80-100 and the standard key is 20+. The key needs to be a 80 bit key and not the older 40 bit. "SA" is the number to look for on the key to tell if it is the 80 bit key. "S" is a 40 bit key. The 80 bit key will work with the 40 bit systems but not the other way, 40 in a 80! I had 2 spares made for extra's and after cutting and etc. the total bill was about $42. I did not get the remote ctl on my spares. I played around programming it, it is in the owner's book. and played with the my key also. Maybe someone can expand on the "my key", Admin key, Track key combos?
The car only comes with the 2 keys! Also they can cut a key for you from the VIN!
Old 4/27/11, 03:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Like I said basically the shape of the key will tell you but it is always better to check,
Also, a good locksmith has a device to make sure its the correct (brand) chip for the model and year before he cuts the blank.
Old 5/15/11, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

I purchased two PATS keys from eBay, I would like one to be a spare RED key & one Normal key.

When I pick up my car should I have the dealer cut one from the RED key and the other from the Black or are they both identically pattern cut and it's all about programing to make one different from the other?

Once a key is programed can it be reprogrammed?
Old 5/15/11, 01:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
I purchased two PATS keys from eBay, I would like one to be a spare RED key & one Normal key.

When I pick up my car should I have the dealer cut one from the RED key and the other from the Black or are they both identically pattern cut and it's all about programing to make one different from the other?

Once a key is programed can it be reprogrammed?
Harley
I was told the chip in the red key is different, so only a red key will activate a tune in the Boss. If you want 2 red key you will have to buy one. This was told to me by Ford's Mustang marketing director. The best way to check this for sure is to ask the dealer if the black and red key with the Boss 302 logo on them have different part numbers. (I have not)

The cut is the same on the red and black so that does make a difference which you cut from. When you program it to work you are tapping the pats program not the Trackey tune, two separate things there. The cut is identical but the chips are different.

A key can be reprogrammed yes, but only to the car it was cut for. Once it is cut and works for you car why would need a reprogram?

The key you bought will work as a spare and act as a normal black key, it is always good to have back ups. You can also use them for MyKeys if needed.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 5/15/11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 5/15/11, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
A key can be reprogrammed yes, but only to the car it was cut for. Once it is cut and works for you car why would need a reprogram?
In case it acts like my DVR, Computer, PS3 or Smart Phone and needs to be taught again--> Basically I was just thinking outside the box--> My bad!!

Thanks for clearing up the Key stuff for me.

OT: Are the discs ready for shipping?
Old 5/15/11, 02:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
In case it acts like my DVR, Computer, PS3 or Smart Phone and needs to be taught again--> Basically I was just thinking outside the box--> My bad!!

Thanks for clearing up the Key stuff for me.

OT: Are the discs ready for shipping?
Ordered Fri, should be cut Mon or Tues.

The only way you need a new program for the key is if

1 you have only two keys and lose one. You need to make a second key at the dealer and that will change the programming.

2 You have more then 2 key and lose one. You are afraid someone might find it and steal the car, the dealer can reprogram all the rest of the keys you have.
Old 5/15/11, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

The code (uid) in the chips which are in the keys are static. Its the car which learns and stores the unique codes in the ecu.... Two known keys are required for joe average to put the ecu in learn mode. Once in learn mode a serise of uids can be authorized to start the engine. I am not sure if durning the learn process if any omitted (lost) keys are forgotten. I suspect that they are. I have no idea how track mode is different chip wise. If it were me designing it, there would be a way for learn mode to tag any uid for either street or track. Myself, I bought 2 rfid keys from ebay. Got a key shop to cut them then used my two factory keys to put the car in learn mode. Now my car knows 4 keys and the two factory keys are in my safe.
Old 5/15/11, 04:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
The code (uid) in the chips which are in the keys are static. Its the car which learns and stores the unique codes in the ecu.... Two known keys are required for joe average to put the ecu in learn mode. Once in learn mode a serise of uids can be authorized to start the engine. I am not sure if durning the learn process if any omitted (lost) keys are forgotten. I suspect that they are. I have no idea how track mode is different chip wise. If it were me designing it, there would be a way for learn mode to tag any uid for either street or track.
That is not correct, no keys will be "forgotten" with this process. If you have 3 keys and make a fourth using just two, any two, the third key not used still works fine. It just copies the working keys. If you lose a key and have the dealer reprogram all of your keys then the lost key will not work.
Old 1/16/12, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Has anyone programmed a third key using a programmed red key and the normal white key?
Old 1/22/12, 04:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

I got a 3rd key from chapstick4 on ebay same as Scott (2012yellowboss). Today I had it cut for free at Lowes, then programmed it using both original keys when I got home. It was easy! Thanks Scott! I feel much better having a spare. Now I'm going to get the Red Key (Trackey) flash done ASAP.

Last edited by SoFlaBoss; 1/22/12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 1/22/12, 04:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Glad it worked out Steve, I drove Fords outside the US so I had to keep up with the small issues like these. It would have been a major hassle to get the car PATS reprogrammed besides the added cost. I have been getting keys from that guy for years, great service.

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Has anyone programmed a third key using a programmed red key and the normal white key?
I have not but do not see this as an issue. The PATS system is separate from the Trackey programming. In fact you do not even start the car to PATS program. If you are still unsure contact the FR hotline and ask them what they think.

BTW, the Boss and all 12 Mustangs come with "SA" 80 bit keys but it is a 40 bit system so any "S" stamped key will work just fine. However if you order an extra key minds as well just get the "SA" key.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 1/22/12 at 04:50 PM.
Old 7/28/12, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thinks you must have at least 3 keys and one extra key in the pocket and one at home and when you lost one key then you will not worried a much,.
key stuck in ignition

Last edited by Andrew1; 8/9/12 at 04:49 AM.
Old 7/28/12, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Andrew1
I thinks you must have at least 3 keys and one extra key in the pocket and one at home and when you lost one key then you will not worried a much,.
Please translate.
Old 7/30/12, 09:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by orng302
Please translate.

LOL
Old 7/31/12, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

This thread finally motivated me to program my spare key.
Old 8/3/12, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bossdog
How many keys do you get when you pick up your Boss? My sales guy gave me 2 keys, (1) Blk/silver and (1) Blk/red. I expected (2) Black/Sliver daily driver keys, One for me and the Mrs.
Well, just out of curiosity I went out to the shop and started the Boss with both keys, black and red. I saw no difference in idle or otherwise. I did not go for a long drive just moved it around the driveway a bit. So, I guess I'll just forget about Ford's precious Trackey and get a CAI and a real tune. I have no reason to assume a new tune wouldn't work with either key but I am prepared to be educated.

Bill
Old 8/3/12, 04:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by clevor362

Well, just out of curiosity I went out to the shop and started the Boss with both keys, black and red. I saw no difference in idle or otherwise. I did not go for a long drive just moved it around the driveway a bit. So, I guess I'll just forget about Ford's precious Trackey and get a CAI and a real tune. I have no reason to assume a new tune wouldn't work with either key but I am prepared to be educated.

Bill
You have to get your ECM programmed to use the TracKey (the red one)
Old 8/4/12, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Yes. Picked up a Pats, SA key today at the dealer and had him cut it. I just programmed it following the instructions in the owners manual. All three keys operate normally, including the TracKey.

I did notice something that I hadn't seen before... When the vehicle is shutdown and locked, the red Securilock icon flashes about every 2- seconds in the cluster. I know the manual briefly explains that it will but I NEVER remember seeing it flash before. Everyone's car doing the same?