Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

How many Keys do you get?

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/11, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many Keys do you get?

How many keys do you get when you pick up your Boss? My sales guy gave me 2 keys, (1) Blk/silver and (1) Blk/red. I expected (2) Black/Sliver daily driver keys, One for me and the Mrs.
Old 4/13/11, 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is correct two, make a third for a spare. If not it will cost you to make a key if you lose one. You can make a spare with two but only the dealer (or locksmith with the proper equip) can make a key if you only have one.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/13/11 at 11:39 PM.
Old 4/13/11, 08:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Huh?
Old 4/13/11, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's saying that you can program a generic on your own if you have both keys. You can't do that with just one, meaning you would have to pay the dealership their fee if you want to make a copy with just 1 key.
Old 4/13/11, 08:52 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
That is correct two, make a third for a spare. If not it will cost you make a key if you lose one. You can make a spare with two but only the dealer (or locksmith with the proper equip) can make a key if you only have one.

Biggest screw job ever. The dealer should give you 3 but they don't. They conveniently fail to tell the consumer this.

Get a blank off ebay and have it cut asap. Cause it takes 2 to SELF program another. (See your owners manual.) If you lose one of your two with your new car, you're screwed and have to get another one through the dealer - and it ain't cheap. I damaged one of my girl friends Jeep keys back in 07 and it cost me $180 bucks!

Now, for all my new cars, I immediately get a blank off ebay ($10-25), have it cut at the locksmith ($10), and hide it. That way if I lose my keys, I still have 2 sets and can SELF program a replacement.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/13/11 at 08:55 PM.
Old 4/13/11, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

How do you "self program" a replacement key?
Old 4/13/11, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Process is in the manual. (That is true for other new cars, I don't have a boss yet, so I'm making an assumption.) You can also google it...
Old 4/13/11, 09:21 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by askjeffro
Process is in the manual. (That is true for other new cars, I don't have a boss yet, so I'm making an assumption.) You can also google it...
Yes - I can vouch for 99 Jeep, 08 Bullitt, 10 Chrysler. GET A 3RD KEY!!

Don't go to Home Depot or some other store to have the blank cut. Go to a locksmith - they have a gizmo to verify the blank has the correct chip for the vehicle manufacturer.

However, NEVER trust this guy on ebay:

siera456
stu777@aol.com
www. ezstu. com

He sells key blanks with outdated transponders. Have your key cut immediately to make sure the chip is correct. I dragged my feet after the purchase for a month and he wouldn't honor his word - for a lousy $12 bucks. My locksmith confirmed he was selling blanks with the wrong chip - at least my locksmith cut another blank n/c though it wasn't his fault.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/13/11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 4/13/11, 09:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Programming is simple, page 111 from the owners manual. Get a key from eBay or where ever for $10 or so and the dealer should be able to cut it when you pick up the car, they cut one for me.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition to the 1 (off) position and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (off)

5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (off) position and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.

7. After three seconds but within 20 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (off) position and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least six seconds.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

I have tried putting the same key in twice and it does not work, you need two programed keys.

Also you do not need an intergrated key:

You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/13/11 at 11:42 PM.
Old 4/13/11, 10:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks to everyone on the detailed posts, this is something I will do
Old 4/14/11, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Does anyone have a trusted LINK or BM store for a KEY?
Old 4/14/11, 09:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
How many keys do you get when you pick up your Boss? My sales guy gave me 2 keys, (1) Blk/silver and (1) Blk/red. I expected (2) Black/Sliver daily driver keys, One for me and the Mrs.

Dave
Old 4/14/11, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

First thing I do is pack an extra set of truck and car keys when I go to track events. Can we get a duplicate Red key made or will we have to get that from the dealer once TracKey is available?

My biggest nightmare after double checking tie downs, trailer brakes, extra set of wheels/tires, rotors, pads, fluid, tools jacks and on and on and on, is to arrive at the track ready to unload the car off the trailer and realize I left the keys to it on the kitchen counter!
Old 4/14/11, 10:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
And how many did you give him ?
Old 4/14/11, 12:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Can we get a duplicate Red key made or will we have to get that from the dealer once TracKey is available?
This remains to be seen. I spoke with Fords marketing director and he told me that the red key is a different unique key. So if that is true, it is the only key that can be used as a trackey. Unlike, say making mykey, when any key can be used and any one stays as the "master key" but it does not matter which. Any Ford car can be program to have up to eight keys, so if you buy seven red keys you could theoretically program all seven.

He was not absolutely 100% sure about this but told me if you have the two original keys and cut and program a extra red key, it should make a second track key, same goes for the black key (just like I did already). So in this case you would only have to get the original red key programmed once and then you make more on your own. I will pose this question again to make sure this is really the case.
Old 4/15/11, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Biggest screw job ever. The dealer should give you 3 but they don't. They conveniently fail to tell the consumer this.

Why/how is the the dealer's responsibility?
Old 4/15/11, 12:54 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by PACETTR
Why/how is the the dealer's responsibility?
What are you a used car hack?

Because they are the sales outlet to the consumer and should make a 3rd set available at time of purchase. But instead, the dealer is the one that keeps it a secret from the unsuspecting consumer (as shown by several on this thread) and then screws you for a couple hundred bucks for "programming" if you lose your key.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/15/11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 4/15/11, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
What are you a used car hack?

Because they are the sales outlet to the consumer and should make a 3rd set available at time of purchase. But instead, the dealer is the one that keeps it a secret from the unsuspecting consumer (as shown by several on this thread) and then screws you for a couple hundred bucks if you lose your key.

What are you, an uneducated crybaby consumer?

You are so lost it's comical. Not everyone wants/needs a third key. I would say MAYBE 10-20% of customers ask for one. No one is "hiding" anything. A 3rd set IS available ANY TIME. Any time a parts department refuses to SELL you a 3rd key let me know. It is not the dealer's responsibility to provide anything other than what the manufacturer stipulates, which is TWO keys. You are welcome to PURCHASE one at your discretion. Why should the dealer absorb added cost? Should they give you a second set of floor mats because you might soil the first set?

And I promise I have programmed more third keys for customers than you have for your half dozen or so vehicles.

Last edited by PACETTR; 4/15/11 at 01:02 PM.
Old 4/15/11, 01:09 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by PACETTR
What are you, an uneducated crybaby consumer?

You are so lost it's comical. Not everyone wants/needs a third key. I would say MAYBE 10-20% of customers ask for one. No one is "hiding" anything. A 3rd set IS available ANY TIME. Any time a parts department refuses to SELL you a 3rd key let me know. It is not the dealer's responsibility to provide anything other than what the manufacturer stipulates, which is TWO keys. You are welcome to PURCHASE one at your discretion. Why should the dealer absorb added cost? Should they give you a second set of floor mats because you might soil the first set?

And I promise I have programmed more third keys for customers than you have for your half dozen or so vehicles.
The point is you car stealers don't TELL the consumer this up front.

I never said anything about giving did I?

I've read this issue several times on several different (brand) forums. MANY people are unaware. Its a scam to sneakily steal from the consumer rather than at the time of the close saying, btw...

A blank key cost me $25 and my locksmith charged me $10. You car salesman suckheads charge a couple hundred after the fact for your blank and "programming". What a joke.
Old 4/15/11, 01:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I can ask for a third key at delivery fir how much$

Quick Reply: How many Keys do you get?