Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302

Old 8/25/10, 03:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, there's more to the story than we know right now.
Old 8/25/10, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is this has nothing to do with mykey. However, you will refer to this as 'my key' after a track session.
Old 8/25/10, 05:56 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Curses.

Now I want one.
Old 8/25/10, 07:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
It looked like he almost went along and explained the key but then caught himself when he remembered there was a camera there. I imagine these guys have told alot of people about the secret stuff off the record.
This was probably planned, just to create more excitement, i'm excited!! release the hidden specs and prices already!!!
Old 8/25/10, 08:17 PM
Cobra Member

Definitely would seem the key offers two settings - street tune and track tune. Track tune is simply going to be bad a__! I just hope Ford offers that on both the LS and Boss 302 models!!
Old 8/25/10, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mseymour3
Yeah. He thought he was in trouble for a minute. Another note, that thing sounds absolutely amazing at the end of the video.
Could it be something as simple as they have added the electric motor driven exhaust cutouts on the LS that they said an owner could add on his own? Might explain why the LS they were listening to had that burbly, popping exhaust note.
Old 8/26/10, 06:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by blksn8k
Could it be something as simple as they have added the electric motor driven exhaust cutouts on the LS that they said an owner could add on his own? Might explain why the LS they were listening to had that burbly, popping exhaust note.

Umm...No.
Old 8/26/10, 08:26 AM
V6 Member

I was thinking the same thing. Possibly a different tune and the cutouts!!!
Old 8/26/10, 08:35 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Umm...No.
Exactly.

While it has been noted that two LS' they have out for demos are missing the silencer disks for the side pipes, this has little to no effect on power. The mufflers flow better than they needed already.

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/26/10 at 08:36 AM.
Old 8/26/10, 08:38 AM
GTR Member

I wouldn't be surprised of FRPP has a cutout kit for the Boss in the near future. Since no one has been able to get close and measure, I wonder what the flange size is for the side dumps. It might be a common size that a company already makes cutouts for, and that would make your life that much easier if you wanted to swap them out.

Anyone else notice this thread loads slow?
Old 8/26/10, 08:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a guess here:
I don't think those Boss' on the videos are on full dump with the exuahst. They are much more aggressive but I think if they were full open, it'd be VERY noticable. Almost like the old Boss 302.

As far as the key goes, my vote is with an unlocked tune. Or just a pimp red key.

Edit: apparently I am wrong about the LS versions. I haven't been able to load the videos recently.

Last edited by Automagically; 8/26/10 at 08:53 AM.
Old 8/26/10, 09:07 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
Just a guess here:
I don't think those Boss' on the videos are on full dump with the exuahst. They are much more aggressive but I think if they were full open, it'd be VERY noticable. Almost like the old Boss 302.

As far as the key goes, my vote is with an unlocked tune. Or just a pimp red key.

Edit: apparently I am wrong about the LS versions. I haven't been able to load the videos recently.
The way it looks, you either have the plate removed and it goes out the side/rear, or plugged and it goes the rear.

There are no straight side dumps
(unless you get a valve insert to close one side or the other)

At least, that's how its written in the articles.
Old 8/26/10, 09:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Exactly.

While it has been noted that two LS' they have out for demos are missing the silencer disks for the side pipes, this has little to no effect on power. The mufflers flow better than they needed already.
Not saying the cutouts add power, I'm saying that part of the surprise will be cutouts enhance the sound! Really cool effect!
Old 8/26/10, 09:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
The way it looks, you either have the plate removed and it goes out the side/rear, or plugged and it goes the rear.

There are no straight side dumps
(unless you get a valve insert to close one side or the other)

At least, that's how its written in the articles.
I'm with ya. I don't know what I was thinking. I knew it had the possibility of putting in your own valve but for some reason I was under the impression that the plate was not solid but more like a filter. Sounds stupid right? Doesn't matter, I'd like to have that option of just removing the plate or keeping it in. I don't really have to do the valve system.
Old 8/26/10, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Would this key unlock a top speed mode?

Then again, I don't expect the Boss 302 to go 260 MPH...
Old 8/26/10, 10:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by swa737
Not saying the cutouts add power, I'm saying that part of the surprise will be cutouts enhance the sound! Really cool effect!
That will not be part of the surprise. The enhanced sound with the "quad" exhaust was revealed on Aug 13th when Ford announced they were making the Boss 302 again.
Old 8/26/10, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ferrarimanf355
Would this key unlock a top speed mode?

Then again, I don't expect the Boss 302 to go 260 MPH...
I imagine it will. I think I saw a video about the LS out there that indicated 180MPH top speed, looked around and couldn't find it. Maybe it was in the title of the video. Anyway, I did the calculation and since we know the tire size, trans and rear ratios, 180MPH would be achieved at 8400 RPM in fifth.

I believe that is the exact redline of the grand am cars. Hmmm...
Old 8/26/10, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good lord that sounds great with the side pipes open
Old 8/26/10, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost
I wouldn't be surprised of FRPP has a cutout kit for the Boss in the near future. Since no one has been able to get close and measure, I wonder what the flange size is for the side dumps. It might be a common size that a company already makes cutouts for, and that would make your life that much easier if you wanted to swap them out.

Anyone else notice this thread loads slow?
As stated in the original PR:

“We added the attenuation discs to meet legal regulations, but we knew buyers might operate these cars in situations where noise regulations weren’t an issue,” Carney said. “The disc is removable and includes a spacer plate sized to match aftermarket exhaust dump valves. If an owner wants to add a set of electric valves, they just undo two bolts on either side; the disc and spacer slide out and the valve will slide right in. And the side pipes are tuned so that drivers can run wide-open and the sound levels are comfortable – very aggressive but livable for an all-day track outing.”

Carney further explains the thinking behind the unusual step of an OEM easing aftermarket component installation. “We’re Ford engineers, but we’re also enthusiasts,” he says. “We understand owner mods are part of the Mustang experience, so we try to help where we can.”
Old 8/26/10, 11:07 AM
Cobra R Member

There is a clue in the following quote-
“In keeping with the spirit of the original, the new Boss 302 engine achieves its maximum power output at speeds at or above 7,500 rpm".

So how does a car with a rev limiter set to 7,500 achieve revs above 7,500? The only way would be by having a setting that increased the rev limiter on the car. So that's what the "secret" key will allow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302