Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/10, 01:57 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
FWIW - I got a call today from a small dealer where I was on their waiting list who said they just found out they were not going to get a Boss allocation.

So - I'm assuming Ford is starting to notify their dealers or the dealer hasn't been notified but just wanted to "clear" their waiting list.
Ford has said 'yes' to at least one dealer.
Old 10/26/10, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

How are the dealers being notified, i.e., phone, email? Any idea whether the allocations are being confirmed in some kind of order? Thanks!
Old 10/26/10, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Brian, have you heard anything?
Old 10/26/10, 05:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
Brian, have you heard anything?
I haven't heard a thing yet. Checking daily, though.
Old 10/26/10, 05:54 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LQQK
wait till you see the new blue leather recaros that match the grabber blue available on the gt 500 2012, I will order it if I don't get a boss.

LQQK
just the sound of that makes me
Old 10/26/10, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

wait till you see the new blue leather recaros that match the grabber blue available on the gt 500 2012, I will order it if I don't get a boss.
Originally Posted by Overboost
Say what?!? Link if you have one!
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
just the sound of that makes me
I was informed by my source that I shouldn't have leaked color info about the leather that is coming very soon.

The Recaros for the BOSS 302, will have Dove Gray embroidery on BOSS 302 Logo.

LQQK
Old 10/26/10, 09:11 PM

The other day, I asked the dealer near me (Woody Anderson Ford) what they knew about the upcoming 2012 Boss 302. They said they thought they were going to be allocated one. Asked me if I wanted them to add me to their extensive list of prospective buyers. I said no, but how were they going to decide who gets it. They said they were going to auction the car off to the highest bidder from their list. I suggested they might want to wear bullet-proof vests in case things got a little out of hand!

Sweet, huh?
Old 10/26/10, 09:14 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Grey01
The other day, I asked the dealer near me (Woody Anderson Ford) what they knew about the upcoming 2012 Boss 302. They said they thought they were going to be allocated one. Asked me if I wanted them to add me to their extensive list of prospective buyers. I said no, but how were they going to decide who gets it. They said they were going to auction the car off to the highest bidder from their list. I suggested they might want to wear bullet-proof vests in case things got a little out of hand!

Sweet, huh?
You should have signed up and bid up the price of the car, then walk out...

Last edited by PTRocks; 10/26/10 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10/27/10, 06:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Boss 302....does anyone still care about this car?
Old 10/27/10, 08:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Boss 302....does anyone still care about this car?
Slowly loosing interest. At this rate I'll just give a thumbs up to whomever does actually gets one. This is a little ridiculous but I suppose they are keeping it special that's for sure. Good for sparking a Mustang frenzy. Or loosing potential buyers, either way.
Old 10/27/10, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Automagically
Slowly loosing interest. At this rate I'll just give a thumbs up to whomever does actually gets one. This is a little ridiculous but I suppose they are keeping it special that's for sure. Good for sparking a Mustang frenzy. Or loosing potential buyers, either way.
To be honest it's always been my feeling that it would be hard for the common man to manage to snag one of these between limited availability and dealer markup. I've seen this before on a number of products and it grates on my nerves as a Ford employee to see customers put through the wringer whenever a Special Edition of something comes out.

Yes, I know it's a free market society and understand they have every right to do it; I just feel it turns off the "average Joe" that can't afford to get into a bidding war.
Old 10/27/10, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
To be honest it's always been my feeling that it would be hard for the common man to manage to snag one of these between limited availability and dealer markup. I've seen this before on a number of products and it grates on my nerves as a Ford employee to see customers put through the wringer whenever a Special Edition of something comes out.

Yes, I know it's a free market society and understand they have every right to do it; I just feel it turns off the "average Joe" that can't afford to get into a bidding war.
Agree - and it is the "average Joe" that keeps Ford and every other car manufacturer in business. It is a very short sighted strategy by the dealers to charge premiums on just one or two units - they will lose much more in the long run than they will gain on the sale of a handful of units. Dealers have to remember in today's market, customers have a wide variety of choices - the tide has shifted in this country, customers will remember this type of treatment and take all their future business somewhere else.
Old 10/27/10, 07:44 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
Agree - and it is the "average Joe" that keeps Ford and every other car manufacturer in business. It is a very short sighted strategy by the dealers to charge premiums on just one or two units - they will lose much more in the long run than they will gain on the sale of a handful of units. Dealers have to remember in today's market, customers have a wide variety of choices - the tide has shifted in this country, customers will remember this type of treatment and take all their future business somewhere else.
In that light I think it's time to start a thread on which dealers are asking for ADM's or auctioning their BOSS'
Old 10/27/10, 07:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
In that light I think it's time to start a thread on which dealers are asking for ADM's or auctioning their BOSS'
Don't forget MSRP.

LQQK
Old 10/27/10, 07:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The average Joe probably is more interested in a pickup truck in Ford's case. I also think the average Joe probably won't consider what looks to probably be a $40,000.00 car to be average Joe priced. That said, what some dealers might do with pricing is not what I find desirable either.
Old 10/27/10, 07:54 PM
FR500 Member

Don't forget MSRP.

LQQK
What are you suggesting?
Old 10/27/10, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
The average Joe probably is more interested in a pickup truck in Ford's case. I also think the average Joe probably won't consider what looks to probably be a $40,000.00 car to be average Joe priced. That said, what some dealers might do with pricing is not what I find desirable either.
It depends on the market.

In Canada, the MSRP base price for a GT IS $40G ($38,500 IIRC) PLUS Delivery PLUS 13% sales tax. Mind you, here the base GT is equivalent to your Premium, but without incentives you're hard pressed to walk out with a current Mustang under $40G.

So to charge an extra $5-$10G on top of MSRP will likely push a Boss into the mid $50's. That's serious coin for even a well to do person.
Old 10/27/10, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I'll agree with that but those who are interested in the Boss could also be interested in a pickup. Those same "Joes" might also talk to other "Joes" who are also interested in a pickup and share their less than desirable experience trying to buy a Boss. Then "Joe's friend" just might buy a Chevy...All I'm saying is that Ford's dealers will hurt themselves by pursuing such a strategy, word travels fast in this electronic age and customers (whether they are directly affected or not) are much more likely to "vote with their feet" and take their business elsewhere if they perceive they will not be treated fairly.
Old 10/27/10, 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'll agree with that but those who are interested in the Boss could also be interested in a pickup. Those same "Joes" might also talk to other "Joes" who are also interested in a pickup and share their less than desirable experience trying to buy a Boss. Then "Joe's friend" just might buy a Chevy...All I'm saying is that Ford's dealers will hurt themselves by pursuing such a strategy, word travels fast in this electronic age and customers (whether they are directly affected or not) are much more likely to "vote with their feet" and take their business elsewhere if they perceive they will not be treated fairly.
Of course, it could play out that way. In my opinion, however, far more car buyers are influenced by perceived automaker reputation from sources like Consumer Reports or the media. Another factor is what money off MSRP can I get because of incentives. Finally, I think that repeat buyers really look to their experience with the previous version of a vehicle and let that be their guide.

I believe that many of us posting here on the forums are quite aware and sensitive to the nuances of trying to purchase a limited-run Mustang. We also are aware of some dealers asking over MSRP pricing when it comes to selling these vehicles. That same dealer, however, might sell tons of other vehicles at cheap prices because of volume. Does that automatically disqualify them as a worthwhile dealer? Perhaps not, although one might question it, of course.

We, as the consumers, set that price on the Boss when we run in and are willing to pay $15,000 over sticker. I believe patience and diligent searching will pay off if one really, really wants a Boss. I believe the economy and market for a $40,000 Mustang is fairly limited.

I'd welcome any comments from some of our dealer friends who post here on this subject.
Old 10/27/10, 09:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It depends on the market.

In Canada, the MSRP base price for a GT IS $40G ($38,500 IIRC) PLUS Delivery PLUS 13% sales tax. Mind you, here the base GT is equivalent to your Premium, but without incentives you're hard pressed to walk out with a current Mustang under $40G.

So to charge an extra $5-$10G on top of MSRP will likely push a Boss into the mid $50's. That's serious coin for even a well to do person.
Sorry, had my US pricing hat on

Heck, I think $30,000 is serious coin for a Mustang GT (US pricing), so I definitely feel another $10,000 is ever more serious!

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy