Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/10, 06:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minicobra
Well, if the ADM's get out of hand, I'll just buy a slightly used 2011 GT500, or a slightly used GT 5.0, add suspension mods and a supercharger and be done with it. :-)

I really want a Boss 302, but there is no way I'm going to pay thousands of dollars over msrp.
Unless msrp is $36K
The ADM issue I find interesting. The market will support a price, period. If MSRP is $45,000 and dealers are selling them for $55,000 that is unacceptible but if MSRP is $55,000 and dealers sell them for that it is okay?
Old 9/3/10, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karpro
The ADM issue I find interesting. The market will support a price, period. If MSRP is $45,000 and dealers are selling them for $55,000 that is unacceptible but if MSRP is $55,000 and dealers sell them for that it is okay?
Absolutely. Ford will establish an MSRP for the car that has a fair profit built in. Gouging customers, many of whom are expected to be repeat customers, is wrong. I spent 39 years in the car business, and we never sold a car for over MSRP, even though it might be a hot seller like a GT500 or Boss. Being fair with your customers pays off many more dividends in the long run than a quick $$$ ADM.
Old 9/3/10, 07:21 AM
FR500 Member

Interesting point which illustrates the question: who gets to make the profit, Ford or the dealers?

If Ford sets the price at 55k$ and the market is only willing to pay 45k$, who gets hosed?
Old 9/3/10, 07:24 AM
Cobra R Member

If I paid an ADM to a dealer I would never go there for service and never buy another car from them.
I had a dealer try to tack on 5k when I bought my 08 GT500 (Ford was allowing employee pricing and rebates to apply to move them off the lots). I said no way and went down the road and bought one. I would NEVER buy a car from the dealer who tried to rip me off.
Old 9/3/10, 07:29 AM
Cobra R Member

No. If the car's price has been over-inflated just to make more profit then that is not okay. The car (any car) should be priced on the value of what it offers. And then there is the pricing of a competitors model. You jack up a mustang's price too high then people will find reasons to buy a Camaro.
Old 9/3/10, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

Where did you find this info?

LQQK
Old 9/3/10, 07:49 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Where did you find this info?

LQQK
Karpro (Paul) is a Ford salesman, like Brian and Jeff. So this must be an internal memo.
Old 9/3/10, 07:49 AM
Cobra Member

I won't pay ADM on any car. I didn't pay it when I ordered my 2001 cobra vert when other dealers where charging it and I didn't pay it on my 2003 10th anniversary cobra when other dealers where charging it. If I cannot find a dealer that won't deal at MSRP then a 2012 GT will be purchased or a 2011 GT500.
Old 9/3/10, 07:52 AM
GT Member

For me ADM is unacceptable as a buyer usually loses a couple grand as they drive off the lot. Typically MSRP provides some insurance that you don't lose more than that initially. Put a $5,7, even 10K ADM on top of that scenario and those Boss 302 stripes symbolize a sucker behind the wheel.

Last edited by Randy M; 9/3/10 at 07:54 AM.
Old 9/3/10, 07:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Random thoughts from the mind of Five Oh Brian....

I'm totally pumped about the return of the Boss 302. I'd love to buy one. I can afford one if the price comes in around $35-$40K. Anymore than that and I'll have to pass.

Limited production stinks. Build one for anyone who wants one, please. I don't have to be the first person to own one, so I'll gladly wait until later in the model year to get a deal.

The fact that I work at a dealership doesn't give me any leverage to get one sooner/cheaper. If we only get one or two for the whole year, then we'll sell to customers first and I'm stuck waiting until an "extra" shows up some day (if ever).

ADM's are just "asking" prices. Don't like ADM's? Me neither! Just because a dealer is asking for one doesn't mean that's the final selling price. My advice is to ask the dealer to put you on their Boss 302 list, but to only contact you when one becomes available at MSRP (or whatever your max is). However, keep in mind that each dealer will likely have at least one (and probably several) customers who will gladly pay above MSRP to get a Boss 302 - especially early in the run in their choice of colors/equipment.

Did I mention that I'm excited about the return of the Boss 302? Now, how do I convince my wife that I "need" to buy one?

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 9/3/10 at 07:55 AM.
Old 9/3/10, 07:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Did I mention that I'm excited about the return of the Boss 302?
I am as well!!! I will have one at somepoint....whether it is buying new at MSRP or waiting a year or 2 for someone that bought it and didnt like it or couldn't afford it.
Old 9/3/10, 08:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Talked to my dealer today- they got this memo as well. They believe they will be getting one based on sales and on being an SVT dealer. I'm #1 on their list and 2 other guys are on the list as well. I'm #1 on another dealers list as well so I should be in good shape. Just need Ford to provide some more info so I can getting something down in writing, are you listening Ford!!!???
Old 9/3/10, 08:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
I won't pay ADM on any car. I didn't pay it when I ordered my 2001 cobra vert when other dealers where charging it and I didn't pay it on my 2003 10th anniversary cobra when other dealers where charging it. If I cannot find a dealer that won't deal at MSRP then a 2012 GT will be purchased or a 2011 GT500.
So Ford still wins. They still make a sale from you. They **** you off and screw you from getting the car you want and you still go out and buy a car from them. Can you tell me why Ford should feel upset by this?
The only way to get the message across to Ford is to buy a Challenger or a Camaro.
Old 9/3/10, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
if the dealer(s) that i deal with put a ADM on this car i will absolutely not buy it. i will not pay ADM for anything. ill set and wait. and the more dealers who add one on and try and deal with me will not be dealing with me again. im from old school when you bargin for a car on the price. if they dont want to deal, i walk. period. i have 3 cars, im not in a rush to get another one, more over in the "need" for one either. they can set on them till they lose their behinds on them. its called greed and i dont go for that.
Old 9/3/10, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, the quandry of a desirable performance car...this memo reminds of me of the first GT500 allocation memos that were shared on the forums here a few years back.

Five Oh Brian, I agree waiting until later in the model run is probably the ideal strategy because a) we don't know what dealers will ask, b) we don't know how many Ford will make, and c) we don't know what the early buyers will be willing to spend.

Whatever Ford decides to produce, one must assume the business case was enough to amortize the development costs on that engine, suspension, and feature content. Anything less would not make good business sense.

I also think "getting on a list" sometimes signals to a dealer "I am crazy for this car and I will offer <insert body part here> to get one." Regardless, the new Boss is going to be a car enthusiast magnet for awhile as they start trickling in.

If we do get a 2-year run of these cars, I suspect there will be enough to go around. The Mustang GT is such a phenomenal performer now that only the "uber" of us enthusiasts would pony up the potential $40K + these cars would cost.

After living with the "6500 only" run of the 2003 Mach 1, only to see a 2-year run and incentives to move the 2004s, I will bite my tongue and wait a bit.

Question to Five Oh B - how have things been with the "only 2011 5500 GT500s" limit and what people have been paying?
Old 9/3/10, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

I just returned from my dealer. Showed my salesman the memo that is posted here, he was not aware of it, the sales manger drifts by, I ask him about the memo, he reads it and said he had not seen it yet, well I asked, if the info is true what are the odds/chances they would not be able to get a BOSS based on the formula in the memo.

The manager told me what I already knew, "We are one of the highest volume dealers in the area" ( they own several dealerships ) no problem for them we always get speciality cars allocated to us.

I asked them what if they only get one, or less than a dozen, are you gonna stand by the contract we have. He told me we have a contract with you, we are going to honor it 100%, MSRP as promised, well I got even more good news, the owner of the dealerships was at this location for a meeting with someone from Ford Corporate. The manager gets him to come talk with me about the BOSS and he was very up to speed/knowledgeable about the BOSS & LS, he assured/promised me, that I will be the owner of the 1st BOSS that gets allocated for any of his dealerships at MSRP.

LQQK
Old 9/3/10, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
I just returned from my dealer. Showed my salesman the memo that is posted here, he was not aware of it, the sales manger drifts by, I ask him about the memo, he reads it and said he had not seen it yet, well I asked, if the info is true what are the odds/chances they would not be able to get a BOSS based on the formula in the memo.

The manager told me what I already knew, "We are one of the highest volume dealers in the area" ( they own several dealerships ) no problem for them we always get speciality cars allocated to us.

I asked them what if they only get one, or less than a dozen, are you gonna stand by the contract we have. He told me we have a contract with you, we are going to honor it 100%, MSRP as promised, well I got even more good news, the owner of the dealerships was at this location for a meeting with someone from Ford Corporate. The manager gets him to come talk with me about the BOSS and he was very up to speed/knowledgeable about the BOSS & LS, he assured/promised me, that I will be the owner of the 1st BOSS that gets allocated for any of his dealerships at MSRP.

LQQK
Sounds like you're in a very good position going forward.
Old 9/3/10, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do I understand correctly that ALL Languna Seca models are allocated through the lottery system? And this lottery is only for Share of Nation dealers? Given this, then even though the number of lottery chips are based on prior sales, then there still is a remote chance that the highest volume dealers may still not get an LS allocation.

I think the BOSS LS is going to be nothing more than a dream for me.

Personally I think the majority of base Boss' will have little or no ADM, while the majority of LS will have substantial ADM. Again, not looking good for the home team, me.
Old 9/3/10, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm #1 on 2 local dealers lists. I called one this morning and he said he just got the memo. He said they do a large enough volume that they will certainly be getting one.

The 2nd dealer called me this morning and said the Regional Manager had called him about the Boss 302 allocations. Dealer told the RM that he had a customer wanting one and the RM said he would try to get one to him. I asked about ADM's and the dealer said they don't do that with their cars.
I asked how many are coming here (I'm in Canada) and was told 350.
Old 9/3/10, 11:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Talked to my dealer today- they got this memo as well. They believe they will be getting one based on sales and on being an SVT dealer. I'm #1 on their list and 2 other guys are on the list as well. I'm #1 on another dealers list as well so I should be in good shape. Just need Ford to provide some more info so I can getting something down in writing, are you listening Ford!!!???
We (dealers) are not getting an extra Boss 302 for being an SVT dealer. That used to be the case with GT500's during the 2007-9 run, but no more, so your dealer is mistaken.

Also, by being on lists at multiple dealers, you are artificially skewing demand and feeding the ADM monster. Get on a list at just one dealership you have a rapport with and stay put.

And, yes, Ford is listening. You make it sound like they're dragging their **** feet. The car was just announced and they said more info would come this fall. New models take time and go through a process. Be patient or you'll drive yourself crazy!

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy