Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/10, 03:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
There are no rebates or incentives on '10 or '11 GT500's. And I don't think Ford & Shelby would want to publicize their parting ways, if that were to ever happen (and I believe it's gonna happen sooner than later). Look how bad the publicity was recently when Shelby took away everything from the SAAC. Wow, talk about a black eye for Shelby! The shininess has worn off of the Shelby badge at Ford. It is not the cool, latest thing anymore and sales have been dropping like crazy. Ford didn't cut 2011 GT500 production down to 5,500 units to add value for its customers (and I hope nobody thinks otherwise). Ford capped production to meet demand which has fallen off a cliff for the GT500.

Must be very different business here in Canada I guess. I got my 08 Shelby with employee pricing and 5k rebate. I saved about 13k.
10's on my dealer's lot have a 10k price reduction- employee pricing and rebates.
I was looking at an 11 GT500 earlier this week and the dealer called me yesterday and said Ford just rebated them almost 4k (incentive starting in Sept).

I am not paying ANY ADM, I asked the one dealer who called me today (regarding the Boss) about ADM's and he said they don't do that kind of thing at their dealership. Again- Canadian dealers seldom do this to their customers.
I will be getting a 2012 Boss 302 at MSRP and perhaps employee pricing if Ford allows it.
Old 9/3/10, 03:18 PM
GT Member

are you going to keep your shelby also
Old 9/3/10, 04:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hori
are you going to keep your shelby also
I love that car! I don't have the money or the room to keep them both. If I pull the trigger for the Boss then the Shelby will have to go. It will be a tough choice and that's why I'd like Ford to release more info on pricing and possible options. If the price is too high I might just pass on the Boss and keep the Shelby.
Old 9/3/10, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those who insist on buying very early and lock up #1 positions of dealer lists well in advance of final specs being released are the same ones giving dealers the signal that this is a hot car and to slap on ADM's.
Can't agree more.

And the "I gotta have it" posts on the internet have the same effect on ADMs.
Old 9/3/10, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

I bought my brand new 2003 Mach 1 at the end of that model year after all the gotta-have-it guys bought theirs. MSRP was nearly $30K and I paid just $23K, so not only did I avoid ADM's, but I also got healthy rebates and discounts!

Due to '11 GT500 production being capped to just 5500 units, we had our allocation squashed to just 2 cars for the entire model year. The first was special ordered for a guy who just had to have our first one and by the beginning of summer (convertible). We came through for him and sold it at MSRP (no ADM's). The second was ordered for dealer stock and will arrive next week (grabber blue coupe with SVT Perf Pkg). It is not pre-sold and will be available for MSRP (again, no ADM's).

Odds are, there will not be a 2012 GT500. The latest contract between Ford & Shelby that was communicated to dealers only specified up to the 2011 model. If you go to Shelby's official online forums (www.teamshelby.com) you'll notice that the GT500 section doesn't list anything beyond the 2011 model (no 2012's, no future models, etc.). I believe that Ford is done with Shelby and the Boss 302 will be stepping in as the halo model for the Mustang line up. I hope I'm wrong, as I like have GT500's around for sale (we make money on them!), but I don't think there will be any GT500's built after the '11's are done.
You are wrong on this. Ford would not build a one year 2011 GT500 with an all new aluminum block 5.4. No way, no how. The Shelby will likely stay till at least 2014 or the next body style. Shelby sales haven't dropped off a cliff. Car sales period have! August was the worst car sales in 28 years. The Shelby or Cobra before it was roughly 1 out of 15 mustangs. At 5,500 if Ford sells 80,000 mustangs there is the magic number. Also from the 80's on ford typically sold 150,000 mustangs per year. With the current economy we are at half that now. Also there is alot of competition from the Camaro and Challenger which wasn't there in the past.

Last year teamshelby never listed a GT500 beyond 2010! The Boss is in now way shape or form going to replace the Shelby and Ford execs have already stated this. It will be priced between the GT and GT500.
Old 9/3/10, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. I made sure to point out that I hope there's a 2012 GT500, but everyday I'm leaning more toward it winding down with the 2011 model. I've been asking around a lot at Shelby's forums about the 2012 and nobody has any info - it is pure speculation at this point.
Because Ford hasn't release the data yet LOL! You won't do any better trying to find out what new colors are on the Mustang Gt in 2012 either.
Old 9/3/10, 05:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 94gt
You won't do any better trying to find out what new colors are on the Mustang Gt in 2012 either.
I guess this means that 2011 is the last year for the GT as well.
Old 9/3/10, 06:53 PM
Cobra Member

I definitely want a Boss 302 - I've been waiting for years to get the chance to purchase one. However, I'm not going to be ripped off and taken advantage of by Ford or their dealers. If this turns out to be true, only Ron Pratt and Jay Leno will be able to afford a Boss!! Certainly this type of strategy can backfire for Ford who is riding a wave right now even this down economy. Auto sales are way down but Ford is doing better than most - pissing off their most loyal group of supporter is a good way to wind up as a footnote in the history books instead of viable automobile manufacturing company. If this is the way Ford treats it's enthusiasts then I have bought my last Ford product.
Old 9/3/10, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that Ford has a boatload of R&D money tied up in the Boss. They have to sell the cars to get that money back. That's why I feel very confident that the Boss will go down like the Bullitt and the GT500. They may be scarce at first, but by the end of the model year, they will be available. I also feel very confident that the Boss will return for 2013, and that's when the availability will be good. The newness will have worn off, the collectors and others who have to have the first ones will be satisfied, and a new Boss will be there for the picking for those who have patience.

I talked to the sales manager at my Ford dealer today. He agrees that the Boss will attract a lot of lookers, but few buyers. Most will gravitate towards the GT. He said that since the announcement, they've had 8 - 10 phone calls about the Boss, none of them very serious. I think once the hype dies down, those who want a Boss will have one.

I've seen this whole scenario play out with the Honda S2000, Bullitt, GT500, Challenger, Mercury Marauder, Impala SS, etc. etc. Patience, my friends, patience.
Old 9/3/10, 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, Tony, our grabber blue '11 GT500 beckons you, does it? It is white stripes and loaded. MSRP = $57,700. It has an updated ETA of September 14th to arrive here.
An early birthday present by 4 days...hmmm!

I hadn't heard that Amy Boylan left - that is sad news as she was a really cool car person (even she's a Chevy girl at heart).
Yeah, never really heard what the reason was for that.

Bought your Mach 1 early, did you? Patience paid off for me. $23K was a steal. Sold it 3 years later for $21K so it only cost me $2K in depreciation to own it (plus gas/oil/insurance/mods). I was in the right place at the right time on that one!
Timing is everything as they say. However, I will say that we saw official Ford press information that said "6500 only", which from what we understand from various Ford folks was released in error. Some folks were thinking "lawsuit" but it really would have been a moot point. Had I not seen the "6500 only" information that looked official, I would have waited as well. I still do have the car though (72,000 miles on it).

So, it looks like I'll be keeping my supercharged '07 GT for awhile, since there's a snowball's chance in hell that I can get a Boss 302. Maybe I'd better wait for the reincarnation of the Mach 1?!?!
Yeah, wouldn't that be a hoot if there was another Mach 1?!

Who knows - maybe that Boss number produced information will drastically change by the time production starts. When I was in Detroit at Mustang Alley, I heard from someone who talked to some Ford folks that this would be a 2-year run and 2000-3000 standard Boss cars per year and 750 Leguna Secas per year. I claim no accuracy on that information. It could have been hearsay, information injected into the rumor mill to create the scarcity mentality, or maybe it was the best information anyone had at this time without final decisions being made.

At any rate, I guess we will say. The allocation memo contact does sound similar to the GT500 allocation information when they first came out in 2006.
Old 9/3/10, 07:32 PM

JonW that is great advice....I plan to purchase the laguna seca, if available, in August or September of next year!
Old 9/3/10, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

The whole concept of limited run makes sense only if you are outselling the competition. Last I checked, the Camaro was back on top with a gov't paid for Z28 and convertible on the way. The sales war isn't going to get any easier. Why leave sales on the table? Do they really think they can convert everyone who would buy a BOSS into a GT buyer?
Old 9/3/10, 07:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bfit
JonW that is great advice....I plan to purchase the laguna seca, if available, in August or September of next year!
They'll all be sold as soon as the order banks open in Nov.
Old 9/3/10, 07:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
The whole concept of limited run makes sense only if you are outselling the competition. Last I checked, the Camaro was back on top with a gov't paid for Z28 and convertible on the way. The sales war isn't going to get any easier. Why leave sales on the table? Do they really think they can convert everyone who would buy a BOSS into a GT buyer?

I don't think the Boss will be as popular as some of you think. It will be more money than a fully loaded GT and the Boss seems like it will be pretty bare on options. No NAV, no SAT radio, no Shaker radio, no power seats, no heated seats. This car will be an awesome handling and performing car but most people will opt for a loaded GT.
Old 9/3/10, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup you sure did, there was no such thing as a 5.0 liter Mustang in 1969 and 1970.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah and this shows Ford has no objection to ADM's.

Did I miss something before....? They're saying BOSS 302 rather than 5.0.
Old 9/3/10, 08:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Must be very different business here in Canada I guess. I will be getting a 2012 Boss 302 at MSRP and perhaps employee pricing if Ford allows it.
I hope you get the deal you want.
Old 9/3/10, 08:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Five O Iam making owned Boss 302 save money on the real one.
Old 9/3/10, 10:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05mach1
Five O Iam making owned Boss 302 save money on the real one.
Hi, Frank, while I'm not a fan of people making their own copy of a Boss 302 (or any other specialty model), I am very happy that you are still around and posting! It's always a good day when you post, my friend! So, just how many Mustangs do you own nowadays? Got a small fleet or do you keep trading them in every year?
Old 9/3/10, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am guessing there will be a 2012 GT500 bc Ford did say the Boss will be priced in between that and the GT although they could be just giving us a rough estimate of the price. I don't have the money for a 500 but I hope they continue it.

One thing you are all forgetting is the fact that this is not a new motor. This same motor has been used in the Ford GT. The same 550hp ALUMINUM 5.4L has been around before, it's not like Ford created a whole new engine like the 5.0

Whatever Ford does I am glad there is choices out there. Can't wait to see what 2012 brings to the table.
Old 9/3/10, 10:57 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
I am guessing there will be a 2012 GT500 bc Ford did say the Boss will be priced in between that and the GT although they could be just giving us a rough estimate of the price. I don't have the money for a 500 but I hope they continue it.

One thing you are all forgetting is the fact that this is not a new motor. This same motor has been used in the Ford GT. The same 550hp ALUMINUM 5.4L has been around before, it's not like Ford created a whole new engine like the 5.0

Whatever Ford does I am glad there is choices out there. Can't wait to see what 2012 brings to the table.
Ford did create a whole new block, including their first production use of the plasma coated cylinder walls.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy