Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/10, 11:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I'd welcome any comments from some of our dealer friends who post here on this subject.
I have no idea if the dealer I work for is going to get any Boss 302's, although I suspect we'll get at least one for being one of the top 794 volume Mustang dealers. I have no idea how we will price it (them) as management & our owner haven't sat down to discuss it yet.

I believe that in the grand scheme of things, with 2 years of Boss 302 production, there will eventually be enough built to satisfy demand. Therefor, those who wait long enough will likely be able to find very attractive deals. Time = money.

However, there is always a price to be paid for being the first guy on the block to get the latest new toy, so I suspect most dealers will ask for (and maybe even get) markups above MSRP on the very early Boss 302's. Then pricing will start to settle down once the gotta-have-it-now guys get theirs. Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to justify markups, I'm just trying to explain what I have observed every time a new, really cool new toy comes to market (whether we're talking about cars, electronics, etc.).

Carry on....
Old 10/28/10, 04:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You posted:

Originally Posted by PTRocks
In that light I think it's time to start a thread on which dealers are asking for ADM's or auctioning their BOSS'
I posted:

Originally Posted by LQQK
Don't forget MSRP.
You posted:

What are you suggesting?
My dealer won't budge off of MSRP (if they get one), which irritates me, I despise the thought of not being able to negotiate.

If this was a Saturn Dealership I would expect to see prices posted on windshields that were nonnegotiable, like being at Walmart...

So,,,if you follow through with a new thread, I'm suggesting that being told the price is locked at MSRP, is also wrong.

LQQK
Old 10/28/10, 05:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

QUOTE: "However, there is always a price to be paid for being the first guy on the block to get the latest new toy, so I suspect most dealers will ask for (and maybe even get) markups above MSRP on the very early Boss 302's. Then pricing will start to settle down once the gotta-have-it-now guys get theirs. Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to justify markups, I'm just trying to explain what I have observed every time a new, really cool new toy comes to market (whether we're talking about cars, electronics, etc.)."

You make a good point and I hope your right but I'm not sure in this case it will apply. I may be wrong but I think Ford is projecting like 3,000 street Boss's to be built in 2012 and another 3K in 2013. If this is correct and Ford sticks to this - the ADM's may hold thru both years.

Think its ironic that given the "Shelby Frenzy" when the 07 came out with $20K markups, etc almost every dealer I've contacted the last couple of days checking on the Boss had a GT500 in stock they were willing to deal on. I wonder what the total production of 500's have been since they came out? I think the first year they made around 9,000.

Think in a few years a Boss can be had but more likely from a current owner who wants the next new thing.

Last edited by Ranger; 10/28/10 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 10/28/10, 06:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
You make a good point and I hope your right but I'm not sure in this case it will apply. I may be wrong but I think Ford is projecting like 3,000 street Boss's to be built in 2012 and another 3K in 2013. If this is correct and Ford sticks to this - the ADM's may hold thru both years.

Think its ironic that given the "Shelby Frenzy" when the 07 came out with $20K markups, etc almost every dealer I've contacted the last couple of days checking on the Boss had a GT500 in stock they were willing to deal on. I wonder what the total production of 500's have been since they came out? I think the first year they made around 9,000.

Think in a few years a Boss can be had but more likely from a current owner who wants the next new thing.
This is what stands to be seen. Are there really going to be more than 8000 (the rumored production over 2 years, including the Leguna Seca) who want a 40000-50000 dollar Mustang. I guess we will see if this is true.
Old 10/28/10, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I find it perplexing that specific dealer allocation info is coming out in dribs and drabs. Are we sure these dealers that are saying nay and yea on allocations are basing it on actual info? My dealer says they just talked to their zone rep, and have no info whatsoever on their potential allocations. I'm hoping they get an LS allocation, but not holding my breath.
Old 11/14/10, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
I find it perplexing that specific dealer allocation info is coming out in dribs and drabs. Are we sure these dealers that are saying nay and yea on allocations are basing it on actual info? My dealer says they just talked to their zone rep, and have no info whatsoever on their potential allocations. I'm hoping they get an LS allocation, but not holding my breath.
My dealer informed me that he has 3 allocated to their dealership so at least some dealers have their number. He said there was not a breakdown between regular & LS models.

The 3 have deposits on them and he is starting a waiting list. One wants a LS but will take a regular Boss if that is all they get as part of the allocation.
Old 11/14/10, 10:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My dealer said they are getting blue Boss in mid April 2011
Old 11/15/10, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I have no idea if the dealer I work for is going to get any Boss 302's, although I suspect we'll get at least one for being one of the top 794 volume Mustang dealers. I have no idea how we will price it (them) as management & our owner haven't sat down to discuss it yet.

I believe that in the grand scheme of things, with 2 years of Boss 302 production, there will eventually be enough built to satisfy demand. Therefor, those who wait long enough will likely be able to find very attractive deals. Time = money.

However, there is always a price to be paid for being the first guy on the block to get the latest new toy, so I suspect most dealers will ask for (and maybe even get) markups above MSRP on the very early Boss 302's. Then pricing will start to settle down once the gotta-have-it-now guys get theirs. Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to justify markups, I'm just trying to explain what I have observed every time a new, really cool new toy comes to market (whether we're talking about cars, electronics, etc.).

Carry on....

I have no doubt that this is right on the money.
Old 11/15/10, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

If this was a Saturn Dealership I would expect to see prices posted on windshields that were nonnegotiable, like being at Walmart...

LQQK
Hey Saturn was just knocked of by GM..........and it's not Walmart........
Old 12/2/10, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

In a different thread, some members are being strung along by dealers with promises of a BOSS, they tell them, they can't order one yet or don't know if they have been allocated a BOSS because they haven't been told by Ford.

Just curious, have dealers been notified if they are a lottery winner of a BOSS or is it yet to be announced?

LQQK
Old 12/2/10, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

In a different thread, some members are being strung along by dealers with promises of a BOSS, they tell them, they can't order one yet or don't know if they have been allocated a BOSS because they haven't been told by Ford.

Just curious, have dealers been notified if they are a lottery winner of a BOSS or is it yet to be announced?

LQQK
I'm hoping the computer ordering system is sophisticated enough to not allow a dealer to order a Boss or LS if the dealer does not have an allocation. If so, once you get a Vehicle Order Confirmation sheet, it means you really have one coming.
Old 12/2/10, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
I'm hoping the computer ordering system is sophisticated enough to not allow a dealer to order a Boss or LS if the dealer does not have an allocation. If so, once you get a Vehicle Order Confirmation sheet, it means you really have one coming.
Sorry to say that Ford's ordering system will allow dealers to plug in as many orders as they want, regardless of whether they have allocation for those orders. A Vehicle Order Confirmation only confirms that the dealer entered the order into the system.
Old 12/2/10, 08:01 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Sorry to say that Ford's ordering system will allow dealers to plug in as many orders as they want, regardless of whether they have allocation for those orders. A Vehicle Order Confirmation only confirms that the dealer entered the order into the system.
Would a DORA give a meaningful confirmation instead?
Old 12/2/10, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

After the share of nation part of allotments, there was gonna be a lottery system for the rest, has this been done?

LQQK
Old 12/2/10, 08:13 AM
V6 Member

I think I can shed some light on this situation. There are at least 5 smaller dealers near me who have gotten boss allocations. One of them even got an LS and they are a very small dealer. One the principal owner has first dibs on and I won't even let you know how I feel about that. Two have not decided as of this point how they are going to sell theirs or for how much. Not interested in playing that fishing game. The last one I have a deposit down on it. I wrote in the other thread a day or two ago that they were dragging their feet on ordering it. Yesterday they finally figured out that they can order it and supposedly put in the order yesterday. I am as confident as I can be that they actually have an allocation and we have already agreed on a price with a signed contract for what that is worth. I think with these small dealers getting allocation it is safe to assume that the lottery is done for both regular boss and LS. The dealer I am ordering with had out of state offers for ADM and elected to sell it locally. I am paying a small ADM which I am not thrilled about but with all of the headaches I have had trying to order one it is worth it to me. Also theirs is a first quarter allocation which is worth something.

When all is said and done I will not really feel comfortable that I am getting a boss until it is sitting in my garage. I do feel however that if my current situation does not work out there will be availability later in 2012 or next year.

Sorry for the length of this and hope my experience helps everyone else.

Thanks
Old 12/2/10, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kona302
I am paying a small ADM which I am not thrilled about but with all of the headaches I have had trying to order one it is worth it to me.
Sorry to here that you were ADMed,,How much did they rape you?

LQQK
Old 12/2/10, 08:25 AM
FR500 Member

Thanks for your input Kona, if you're certain you've locked in your price, please take a minute to go vote in the poll.
Old 12/2/10, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kona302
When all is said and done I will not really feel comfortable that I am getting a boss until it is sitting in my garage.
Thanks
This is the way I'm beginning to feel.
Old 12/2/10, 11:00 AM

Would a DORA give a meaningful confirmation instead?
Nope. I have DORA's for several Boss 302's that I put in the order banks that I don't have allocation for. I ordered them "just in case" Ford feels like giving us extras sometime in the future.
Old 12/2/10, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Brian,

You are a wealth of info

When the KR's came out in '08, there was a published list of dealers with allocation. Is there a similar list for the LS ? If not, will there be a list?

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy