Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/10, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

Here is the allocation plan for the Boss.

The New Boss 302 is back after a 40 year hiatus. This no-nonsense enthusiast track car is built for the street with the race track as its lab. The 2012 Mustang Boss 302 is set to become the best-handling Mustang ever offered by Ford.

This purpose built vehicle is available in two trims for a limited run --Boss 302 & Boss 302 "Laguna Seca" package featuring a 440 HP Hi-Po 302 V8 Engine.

Methods for Earning Allocation
All Ford dealers will have the opportunity to earn a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. There are two methods for earning allocation:

1) Share of Nation
oApproximately 75% of the 2012 Boss 302 production will be allocated to the Ford dealers as a Share of Nation
oThose dealers that sell 75% of the retail Mustangs will participate in the Share of Nation allocation (retail Mustang sales % of Nation) -- through July, this is the Top 794 Mustang dealers
o12 months of sales (October '09 - September '10) will be used to determine dealers participating in the Share of Nation. A dealers opportunity to increase share of nation allocation or inclusion in the Top 75% is increased with each Mustang sold through the end of September
oEach of the dealers participating in the Share of Nation is guaranteed at least one Boss 302
2) Lottery
oThose Ford dealers not participating in the Share of Nation will be entered into a Lottery for the balance of the allocation
oEach dealership participating in the Lottery will receive one chip (entry into the lottery) for being a dealer and one chip for each retail sale over the 12-month period (October '09 - September '10)
oThose dealers with ZERO Mustang sales over the last 12-month period will each receive one chip in the lottery
oNo dealer will earn more then one Boss 302 through the lottery
Note: The Laguna Seca Package will be allocated by a second lottery for all dealers earning a Boss 302 through Share of Nation or Lottery.

To help manager customer expectations for ordering the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang, all 2011 MY dealer production guides will be communicated in early October. Dealers will be given their full year guide numbers along with the quarter(s) their unit(s) will be scheduled. This will enable dealers to manage customer expectations regarding availability and timing. Production is scheduled to begin in late January and will conclude in December 2011.
Since it's unveiling on August 13th, the 2012 Boss Mustang has created a tremendous amount of excitement amongst our dealers and customers. It is our hope that this allocation strategy will support your efforts in providing customers with a clear understanding of this new and exciting best in class product.
Old 9/2/10, 10:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for posting this!!!

I'm not really sure what all that means, it's wording is a bit confusing.
But it would seem that any dealer in the Share of Nation, regardless of sales, is guaranteed one Boss 302.
Since I'm #1 on my dealer's list that's good news!!!
Old 9/2/10, 10:26 PM
GT Member

All of that mumbo jumbo means one thing for those of us considering this car. ADM up the wazoo, if you can find one. Sounds like it might be easier for me to get a GT500...or wait for 2013 for the '70 model.
Old 9/2/10, 10:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy M
All of that mumbo jumbo means one thing for those of us considering this car. ADM up the wazoo, if you can find one. Sounds like it might be easier for me to get a GT500...or wait for 2013 for the '70 model.
This. I agree, this sounds exactly like one hell of a reason for ADM's. Looks like I will just save myself the hassle and go for a GT.
Old 9/2/10, 10:30 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy M
Yeah and this shows Ford has no objection to ADM's.

Did I miss something before....? They're saying BOSS 302 rather than 5.0.
Old 9/2/10, 10:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

It IS a BOSS 302, look at the press releases.
Old 9/2/10, 10:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So, only the top 794 volume Mustang dealers are guaranteed a Boss 302. The dealer I work for sold more new Mustangs than any dealer in our region (NW) in calendar year 2008, but I think we dropped a couple spots since then (I don't have final numbers from last year or this year). I suspect there are many dealers across the south that are much larger volume (SoCal, Texas, Florida, etc.) historically that will suck up a lot of the Boss 302 allocation. The memo above doesn't mention the total production expectation, and that would be interesting to know since there are rough 3500 Ford dealers. If I had to guess, we'll get just one Boss 302 and maybe a chance at a Laguna Seca. Perhaps a second standard Boss 302? Us northern dealers always get the shaft in the allocation system! I already have about a half dozen very capable, interested buyers for Boss 302's and I do not look forward to having to figure out who gets our Boss 302's and who we send down the street empty handed. Arghh! Why not just build one for anyone who wants to special order one and have none built just for dealer inventory?
Old 9/2/10, 10:59 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
It IS a BOSS 302, look at the press releases.
Thanx! Didn't pay attention I guess.
Old 9/2/10, 11:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Brian, they should just build enough for the people that want to order one. He said he has roughly 12 people that are interested. That means that 11 of them are gonna have to go elsewhere and buy from a different dealer. His dealership is losing money. That is not fair.

And don't get started on the ADM's...
Old 9/2/10, 11:03 PM
FR500 Member

Thanks for the information Paul.

So let's say they build 3200 units. 2400 (75% 0f 3200) go to the top 800 Mustang dealers, based upon sales until the end of the Sept. An average of three per dealer, some dealers get only one, a few might get 10 or more. Galpin probably gets 13. (I'm betting September will be a good month to get deals on 2011's there)

The remaining 800 cars are divided among the remaining 2700 dealers, max one per dealer, meaning that only 1600 of the 3500 Ford dealers would get even one car.

Last edited by PTRocks; 9/2/10 at 11:15 PM.
Old 9/2/10, 11:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by cdynaco

They actually brag when dealers score big on GT500s. I've seen it first hand. Ford doesn't give a **** about dealer ADMs, in fact loves it when they get them.
Old 9/2/10, 11:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not a good thing. Ford screws their dealers and customers one more time.
Old 9/3/10, 12:30 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by JonW
This is not a good thing. Ford screws their dealers and customers one more time.
Memo to Ford: Build as many as can be ordered by buyers. That way "everyone is happy" and it increases the number of "image cars" out on the street/track that can "get the word out" that Ford is serious about taking on the big names in the performance market. Meh. What ever already... next!
Old 9/3/10, 12:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JonW
I agree...it seems ironic that those of us who bought Mustangs this year are helping the dealers we purchased the car from MAYBE get a Boss allocation for 2012...and in turn the thanks we get is MAYBE the chance to buy the one (or two) our dealers get for a nice ADM? I'd hate to be the dealer who has to tell the customer who bought a new 2011 Mustang "Sorry"...we sold our Boss for over MSRP to someone who didn't even buy a Mustang last year. Why not offer to build a Boss for everyone who bought a 2011 that is willing to pay MSRP? That would be a great PR move for Ford!

Last edited by mjbarnet; 9/3/10 at 12:36 AM.
Old 9/3/10, 12:52 AM
Cobra R Member

I would say if anyone put in a order from this canadian dealer...they would have good chance of getting one at msrp...

on lot right now (i should go tomm and take pic)

4-2010/13-2011 Shelbys

http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dea...0/BodyDesc/1/0
Old 9/3/10, 12:55 AM
Bullitt Member

some of the responses in this thread are funny. I think it is very cool that Ford is going to actually produce a limited edition mustang. Might that mean that people are willing to pay alot for them? Probably in the beginning. At the end of the run there will more than likely be discounts to be had. Who knows? If you don't think the car is worth what the dealer is asking then don't buy it.

On a side note, if Ford wanted to make sure the dealers wouldn't mark them up they could easily accomplish this. Ford could build out the entire production run and THEN ship them to the dealers. Dealers would be giving them away left and right.
Old 9/3/10, 01:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
some of the responses in this thread are funny.
Somehow I just knew Dr Evil was behind all of this and finding it all very funny
Old 9/3/10, 03:19 AM
GT Member

Well, if the ADM's get out of hand, I'll just buy a slightly used 2011 GT500, or a slightly used GT 5.0, add suspension mods and a supercharger and be done with it. :-)

I really want a Boss 302, but there is no way I'm going to pay thousands of dollars over msrp.
Unless msrp is $36K
Old 9/3/10, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minicobra
Well, if the ADM's get out of hand, I'll just buy a slightly used 2011 GT500, or a slightly used GT 5.0, add suspension mods and a supercharger and be done with it. :-)

I really want a Boss 302, but there is no way I'm going to pay thousands of dollars over msrp.
Unless msrp is $36K
If my dealer can't get me a Boss for MSRP or less, than I'll also buy a used GT and mod it.

Ford, are you listening? Do you want me to buy a new car or a used car? It's up to you.
Old 9/3/10, 06:43 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm as interested in getting as Boss as anyone but I'm not going to pay extra for one. While the car has a great many features there are also a few drawbacks. The limited/sparse/nonexistent options available will make the car less desirable to a great number of potential buyers. So being able to buy a fully loaded GT for the same money or less would be attractive to a great many buyers.

Bottomline is you have to try and take the emotion out of buying one of these cars. Not easy to do I know, but it's something we need to work on.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy