Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/10, 03:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Actually, my understanding is that Mercedes-Benz pioneered this technology a few years before Ford adopted it, so I don't think any licensing royalties will be coming to Ford.
I distinctly remember the article said they had ownership. Whether it is shared or not I'm not sure.

ENERGY-EFFICIENT ENGINE TECHNOLOGY WINS FORD TEAM NATIONAL INVENTOR OF THE YEAR AWARD

SUMMARY:

* The Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation is honoring the inventors of the Ford-patented Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) technology used to apply coatings on engine cylinder bores with the 2009 National Inventor of the Year Award
* Ford's PTWA thermal spray coating process for aluminum engine blocks replaces heavy cast iron liners which improves an engine's fuel efficiency by reducing engine weight and internal piston friction losses
* Ford has 95 issued and pending patents related to the new PTWA coating technology and will introduce it on its North American powertrain lineup within the next year
Ford researchers began collaborating with Flame-Spray Industries and other suppliers in the 1990s to transfer this efficient, lightweight aerospace technology to a low-cost, high-volume application suitable for the auto industry. One of the challenges was to create a robust coating applicator since commonly-used thermal spray devices were not capable of coating cylinder bores of automotive engine blocks.

"Flame-Spray Industries and Ford have enjoyed a close working relationship that has facilitated the successful development of the PTWA technology. The implementation of this technology offers significant possibilities to improve performance and fuel economy on future aluminum engines."

– Dr. David Cook,
Vice President, Flame-Spray Industries

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/06/03...ck-coating-sy/

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/9/10 at 03:26 PM.
Old 9/9/10, 03:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Evil
the 5.0 is lighter than the 5.4 so the front bias would be decreased. I imagine Ford will move to a 5.0 based Shelby at some point as the engine would make more power, be lighter, and save Ford a bunch of money.
But the weight of the supercharger still adds extra weight on the nose, even if it is compartively lighter. Certain publications have listed the weight of the GT350 with supercharger as almost 3800 lbs. One might assume the supercharger accounts for at least half of that 200lb difference between it and the GT on which the Boss 302 is based, the other part being different brakes, wheels, and suspension components.

On the Boss, I think the spirit of the car was captured appropriately by leaving the supercharger off, despite the weight savings of the 5.0L over the aluminum 5.4L.

That said, I think the 2011 GT500's engine is an amazing piece.
Old 9/9/10, 03:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy M
I thought Nissan paid Ford to use it in their GTR's?

I read that as well.
Old 9/9/10, 03:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cylinder wall tech was pioneered by Ford and Nissan paid them to use it in the GT-R. It may have been a joint development by Ford and MB.

http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford...he-nissan-gt+r

Last edited by Overboost; 9/9/10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 9/9/10, 03:44 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
On the Boss, I think the spirit of the car was captured appropriately by leaving the supercharger off, despite the weight savings of the 5.0L over the aluminum 5.4L.

That said, I think the 2011 GT500's engine is an amazing piece.

Both points.
Old 9/9/10, 03:46 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Overboost
It may have been a joint development by Ford and MB.
Flame-Spray Industries and Ford
Old 9/9/10, 04:18 PM
GTR Member

Thanks for finding that in the article for me.

Anyways, let's get this thread back on topic about the 302. Maybe a mod can move our GT500 discussion to a separate thread for now.
Old 9/9/10, 05:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
oops - duplicate post.

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 9/9/10 at 05:49 PM.
Old 9/11/10, 01:56 AM
V6 Member

I have to disagree the existence of the GT500 affects the price of the Boss big time. A GT500 is 48,645 and the SVT pak is 3,495. The Boss is very cool but at a certain price point people will step up to the 550 horse power of the GT500. No GT500 and the ADM is going to the roof also. Also how do we know no supercharger on the LS? A Corvette spanking dream that.
Old 9/11/10, 04:27 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rick0202
Also how do we know no supercharger on the LS? A Corvette spanking dream that.

The engine specs have been released in detail already. No blower from the factory.
Old 9/12/10, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Since it seems Ford’s “plan” is to basically auction off each Boss to the highest bidder, I for one, am much less inclined to really want one. Ford is really going to screw the pooch on this one - they are going to try to make the Boss seem "exclusive" to the point of alienating the majority of the enthusiast community. Way to ruin a great car Ford
Old 9/13/10, 07:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
Since it seems Ford’s “plan” is to basically auction off each Boss to the highest bidder, I for one, am much less inclined to really want one. Ford is really going to screw the pooch on this one - they are going to try to make the Boss seem "exclusive" to the point of alienating the majority of the enthusiast community. Way to ruin a great car Ford
The Boss IS exclusive. The rumored small production numbers guarantee that it will be. I think you're just basically preparing yourself for the disappointment of not being able to buy one. I'm not attacking you for doing so, it's human nature to try and downplay something in order to not be disappointed.

I suppose it is Ford's fault for not stopping their dealers from charging ADM's, but I really don't think Ford has control over that sort of thing. I suppose Ford could counter that by allowing anyone to order a Boss and not limiting production. But ultimately I think that doing so would actually lessen the uniqueness of the Boss 302.
Old 9/13/10, 08:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
The Boss IS exclusive. The rumored small production numbers guarantee that it will be. I think you're just basically preparing yourself for the disappointment of not being able to buy one. I'm not attacking you for doing so, it's human nature to try and downplay something in order to not be disappointed.

I suppose it is Ford's fault for not stopping their dealers from charging ADM's, but I really don't think Ford has control over that sort of thing. I suppose Ford could counter that by allowing anyone to order a Boss and not limiting production. But ultimately I think that doing so would actually lessen the uniqueness of the Boss 302.
If the 2012 boss 302 sales are a big hit, unlike Gt500 sitting on the lots it is safe to say there will be a 2013 model available to all. The first year model are always big hype and test bed for manufacturer. How many bullitt have been made over the years?
Old 9/13/10, 09:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hori
How many bullitt have been made over the years?
????
I don't understand what you're trying to say. The latest Bullitt was limited to a production of 7700 cars and that was it.
Old 9/13/10, 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

There is a difference between limited and exclusive - Boss production should and will be limited (7,000 copies of the "street" Boss if the latest info proves to be true). Exclusivity implies a highly restricted production or distribution plan for which a buyer will pay for the RIGHT to purchase. While the '12 - '13 Boss is going to be an awesome performance car it should NOT be exclusive to the point that only a few well heeled buyers can afford one. I'm not preparing myself for anything, just expressing my displeasure with Ford's strategy.

Fully agree that Ford can't do much about dealers charging ADM's (although they could restrict the mix of inventory they supply to those dealers who routinely charge ADM's for limited production models). One potential solution would be to allow customers to order a Boss directly from Ford for MSRP until the pre-established production limits are reached - then ship to a participating dealer. There are certainly many issues with that process including whether it would violate the legal arrangement between Ford and their dealer network.
Old 9/13/10, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Since it seems Ford’s “plan” is to basically auction off each Boss to the highest bidder, I for one, am much less inclined to really want one. Ford is really going to screw the pooch on this one - they are going to try to make the Boss seem "exclusive" to the point of alienating the majority of the enthusiast community.
sorry but this is such a silly post. So making 7000 units and making sure that high volume dealers get a bunch of cars is making sure they are "auctioned to the highest bidder"? With similar production numbers to the bullitt, there will be plenty of cars sitting around on dealer lots. Expect discounts within the first year.

Ford has basically taken it's best guess as to how many they CAN sell over two years and made that the number the boss is "limited" to.

Way to ruin a great car Ford
lol
Old 9/13/10, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Boss production should and will be limited (7,000 copies of the "street" Boss if the latest info proves to be true).
you say this

Exclusivity implies a highly restricted production or distribution plan for which a buyer will pay for the RIGHT to purchase. While the '12 - '13 Boss is going to be an awesome performance car it should NOT be exclusive to the point that only a few well heeled buyers can afford one. I'm not preparing myself for anything, just expressing my displeasure with Ford's strategy.
and then you seem mad that Ford wants the car to have a certain amount of "exclusivity" by making only 7000 of them.

What are you upset about again? How is Ford making sure that only a few "well heeled" buyers can afford one?
Old 9/13/10, 05:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
you say this

and then you seem mad that Ford wants the car to have a certain amount of "exclusivity" by making only 7000 of them.

What are you upset about again? How is Ford making sure that only a few "well heeled" buyers can afford one?
I was confused with his posts as well. He seems to be arguing both sides of the fence. Maybe I'm just reading it all wrong??

As for ADM's, I'm fairly confident that I won't be subject to one. My dealer knows how few Boss' are going to be made and he's told me I'll get it for MSRP, so I'm happy!
Old 9/13/10, 06:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was confused with his posts as well. He seems to be arguing both sides of the fence. Maybe I'm just reading it all wrong??

As for ADM's, I'm fairly confident that I won't be subject to one. My dealer knows how few Boss' are going to be made and he's told me I'll get it for MSRP, so I'm happy!
Hopefully there's no bait-&-switch
Old 9/13/10, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Dr. Evil, glad I can make an Evil Doctor LOL - quite an accomplishment - even if you do call me silly.

At this point we still don't know for sure what the final production numbers will be - we have a book on Borders that isn't even in print yet saying 8,000 but that number hasn't been confirmed by anyone within Ford. All one could safely assume is that production will be more than 1 but less than 10,000.

The issue isn't what will be the final production volume - the issue is how Ford decides to allocate those that are produced. To me, it would be fair and simple to just allow anyone to walk into a Ford dealer, negotiate their deal and place an order for a Boss - until the pre-determined production volume is met. Then game over. No need to "allocate" cars to high volume dealers, driving up prices and locking small dealers out of the game. But then again, I am silly....

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy