2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

leaks

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/10, 05:53 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
True.....but the current GT500 pumps out 550bhp and if the blown Coyote is to replace that car, it'd be a blow to the bragging rights (and that's pretty much all they are) if it wasn't to top that
If a blown 5.0 replaces the 5.4 it will be a decision driven by cost and economy of scale. Not because Ford cannot turn up the boost on the 5.4.

The new 5.0 has made a strong debut. But still does not have a track record. Is it reliable? How much boost will it take. The 4.6 was sneered at for producing a measly 300-HP, but as a fleet motor was able to go 200,000-300,000 miles without a rebuild--can the Coyote do that? Nobody knows, yet.

The Coyote can now be had with a blower at 525-HP and a 12-month warranty. The 2010 Roush 540H can be had with a 4.6 boosted to 540-HP and 510-ft. lbs. of torque. N/A the 5.0 is definitely at an advantage, slap on boost, the difference seems to tilt in the direction of the older mod motor--more HP, more torque, and a better warranty.

The new 5.0 looks go so far--far enough to say, it is a good step forward. But stepping on the toes of the 5.4? At 550-HP, the 5.4 is hardly pushed to its limits.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/0...50-horsepower/

You can get a 624-HP version of the 5.0 without a warranty or you can get a 5.4 from Autograf with 675-hp and a 3/36 warranty. Which sounds like the better deal? If you can live without the warranty you might want to try Autograf's 800-hp 5.4. There are blown 5.4's producing 1,000-hp.

The 5.0 has the beginnings of being a very good powerplant, maybe a great one. But it is too soon to be dismissing the potential in the 5.4.
Old 8/28/10, 04:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
True.....but the current GT500 pumps out 550bhp and if the blown Coyote is to replace that car, it'd be a blow to the bragging rights (and that's pretty much all they are) if it wasn't to top that
If they use the blown coyote I think it will be the 625 hp for the GT500 ... Would only make sense considering the fact that the GT500 makes 550 and the warrantied 5.0 supercharger makes 525
Old 8/30/10, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 4x4xFord
Check out the speed plots in the article. The "professional driver" couldn't rev match second while the author could. The sections just after slow curves, he could use second for more accel, but he's low revving it out with third. More than .09 to make up if he could find second gear...
4x4xFord: Agreed! Pobst probably coulda gotten more speed outta the Mustang GT Premium with some serious attempts at shifting. But Pobst is great, and I ain't gonna second guess a guy who has beaten Corvettes while driving Volvos. Besides, to make the comparo "fairer" they put a bunch of useless fluff options on the Mustang GT Premium to get the equipment in each car as close to equal as possible, which added pounds they shoulda gone without. OTOH, all those pulling for the M3 woulda cried "Foul!" if the Mustang had had less equipment (less weight) than the pampering Bimmer. You and I know which vehicle is the faster if you make full use of the six-speed manual and don't pack the vehicle with useless crap to be "fairer".

What an awesome, awesome comparo! And this was just a regulation Mustang GT Premium with some order sheet performance options--not a GT500, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, or "regular" Boss 302!

It just gets better!

Greg "Eights" Ates

Last edited by Eights; 9/1/10 at 08:37 AM.
Old 8/30/10, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would think the 5.0 in the top of the line trim whether it be an SVT cobra or GT500 will be a direct injected twin turbo. ford has the know how and the tech sitting on the workbench and they could really build a monster. the review on the ecoboost 6 is minimal to no lag and a huge flat torque curve. we could be looking at 550+hp and 550 ftlbs from 1800-5000 RPM

Last edited by xlover; 8/30/10 at 01:24 PM.
Old 8/30/10, 12:29 PM

I think some sort of blown 5.0 in a GT500 is an inevitability at some point. While the 5.4 does make prodigious power and with the AL block is not such the boat anchor it was, weight wise, it is still based on dying engine family and that alone will make it untenable in the long run. Also, the 5.0, with all its new and potential tech (VVT, DI, etc.) will likely be much more efficient and clean, very important factors in the future. Also, given that the 5.0 is already pumping out 440 some HP from the showroom floor in naturally aspirated form hints that there is a LOT more power should the issue be forced.
Old 8/30/10, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rhumb
I think some sort of blown 5.0 in a GT500 is an inevitability at some point. While the 5.4 does make prodigious power and with the AL block is not such the boat anchor it was, weight wise, it is still based on dying engine family and that alone will make it untenable in the long run. Also, the 5.0, with all its new and potential tech (VVT, DI, etc.) will likely be much more efficient and clean, very important factors in the future. Also, given that the 5.0 is already pumping out 440 some HP from the showroom floor in naturally aspirated form hints that there is a LOT more power should the issue be forced.

yeah stroker kit, better flowing heads and blower.. hp
Old 8/30/10, 03:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
I would think the 5.0 in the top of the line trim whether it be an SVT cobra or GT500 will be a direct injected twin turbo. ford has the know how and the tech sitting on the workbench and they could really build a monster. the review on the ecoboost 6 is minimal to no lag and a huge flat torque curve. we could be looking at 550+hp and 550 ftlbs from 1800-5000 RPM
From what the insiders have said, the twin-turbo 5.0 prototypes were well north of 600hp and monster toque. But they're apparently also bloody expensive to produce. We may/will see it down the line, but for now I think they're happy with N/A and S/C.
Old 8/30/10, 04:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
But they're apparently also bloody expensive to produce.
They shouldn't be that expensive when you're mass producing them
Old 9/1/10, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

rhumb: Solid, perceptive posting, Buddy! I love reading great stuff like this!

Remember that the GT350 already offers a supercharged version of the TiVCT 5.0L V8--and that sorta makes me think that the GT350 may be the vehicle intended to replace the GT500 at some point (such as whenever it no longer makes economic sense to continue producing the modular V8). I think that the GT500 oughtta go for a 7-liter version of the all-aluminum 6-liter V12 that Ford produces for Aston Martin--and call it the "427 SC"--which stood for 427 Sports Competition IIRC back in the heyday of the Cobra 427s. This sixty-degree V12 is only 34" long, so it's a drop-in on all S197 Mustangs (check out www.wmsracing.com for pics by those who've been there, done that). After all, Ford doesn't owe Aston Martin anything anymore, right? Toss a coupla turbos on that 427 V12 and send Marty back to the future without needing flux capacitors.

Is Motor Trend preparing to name the 2011 Mustang the 2011 Car of the Year? Can Geico save you up to fifteen percent on car insurance?
Barring bribery, I think so: They rave about the base 3.7L V6 Mustang (30-31 MPG, over 300 HP, under 14 seconds at over 100 MPH), the 5.0L Mustang GT, and they'll likely ruin their britches in a Boss 302 and Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Not to mention the new six speed autos & manuals, the utterly suprising ELAS power steering, the availability of Brembos and summer tires without having to pop for a GT500, SYNC, the 1.0+ G handling of the Bosses, the availability of coupes/glassroof coupes/convertibles, and the performance of an everyday Mustang GT Premium (optioned up to $40,000 to be "comparably-equipped") against a $67,000 BMW M3.
Such a selection for COTY takes Size 5, 21-panel stitched cojones for a mainstream autorag, but the 2011 Mustang is bound to be a contender (The 2010 Mustang without all the 2011 advances tied for third behind the winning 2010 Fusion and the second-place Prius).

About stroking the TiVCT 5.0L V8: The piston skirts get pretty close to the crankshaft at BDC, so increasing the stroke length even to its allowable maximum will not gain much displacement--probably not enough extra power will be generated to justify the parts & labor of installing a stroker kit.

Will the Boss 302 & Boss 302 Laguna Seca make it just too tough for even the established Mustang tuner manufacturers (Shelby, Saleen, Steeda, Roush, et al) to produce tuner Mustangs with enough extra something to get customers to buy their aftermarket Mustangs instead of just buying the fabulous Boss 302s and Boss 302 Laguna Secas at their local Ford dealers???

Greg ("Let's hear it for Mustang as 2011 Car of the Year"!) Ates

Last edited by Eights; 9/1/10 at 09:56 AM.
Old 9/1/10, 09:32 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Nooooooooooooo, V12s are great, but not in a muscle car......just doesn't seem right. To me, anyway
Old 9/1/10, 10:27 AM

V12s, much like bacon, are right anywhere, anytime! :-)

If they were good enough for the original Mustang, P-51 that is, then they're good enough for the latest Mustang, S-197 that is.
Old 9/1/10, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Nooooooooooooo, V12s are great, but not in a muscle car......just doesn't seem right. To me, anyway
Twin Turbo: We're talkin' GT500 for that V12, but even the "regular" Mustang has now gone beyond mere musclecar. A '69 Mach 1 CobraJet 428 was a musclecar--but that was then and this is now, over four decades later. Read that Motor Trend comparo of the BWM M3 to the Mustang GT Premium to see just how far the 2011 Mustang has come from its beloved ancestors. I posted the link upstream in this thread.

It's like the butterfly that comes from a caterpillar--it was what it was, but now the butterfly is what it is. And a twin-turbo 7-liter V12 makes for one *****in' butterfly!

Greg "Eights" Ates, the sensitive side.
Old 9/1/10, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

V12s, much like bacon, are right anywhere, anytime! :-)

If they were good enough for the original Mustang, P-51 that is, then they're good enough for the latest Mustang, S-197 that is.
rhumb: How could one possibly argue against that?

Greg "Ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make ye free" Ates
Old 9/1/10, 02:30 PM
GTR Member

True enough, Greg, the current 5.0 has come a looooooooooooooooong way from the humble secretaries car that was the original '65 Mustang (or '64.5 if you will). However, for me (and don't foget I'm a Brit) what sets the Mustang, and all the wonderful American musclecars past and present apart, is that V8. Sure, a V12 is exotic, but for me you just can't beat a raw, simple power of a Detroit V8.

I love reading the likes of Hemmings Muscle Machines and learning about the original Muscle cars of the glory years, when straight line speed was king and drum brakes all round were acceptable. Of course we wouldn't accept such basic muscle now, but the DNA of those cars still needs to be found in today's offerings from Ford, GM and Chrysler
Old 9/1/10, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I hear that old sexist "secretary's car" line from Shelby anymore I'm gonna
Old 9/1/10, 03:08 PM

you just can't beat a raw, simple power of a Detroit V8
Though the new 5.0 is anything but simple and raw, being several orders of magnitude more evolved than the simple, carbureted iron-lump pushrod motors of yore.

More as a thought piece than anything else, wouldn't it be interesting for the company that brought the V8 to the common man be the appropriate company to do the same with the V12? It'll never happen, of course, but checking a "P-51" option box on a Mustang order form to add a few more jugs under the hood certainly would be interesting.
Old 9/1/10, 03:45 PM
Cobra Member

Nothing beats the sound of an American V8!
Old 9/2/10, 02:44 AM
GTR Member

Though the new 5.0 is anything but simple and raw, being several orders of magnitude more evolved than the simple, carbureted iron-lump pushrod motors of yore.
That was my point.......I don't want Ford to make the V8s tooooooo complicated. The Coyote is indeed a pretty sophisticated engine, but one of the appeals of the 4.6 V8 for me was its simplicity which, in turn means it's cheap to maintain and had great reliability.

Of course, the Coyote will probably be just as durable, and I hope it will.

TN - OK, I promise not to call it a secretary's car again. Well, apart from now, obviously
Old 9/2/10, 06:44 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing about a ecoboost 5.0 over the 5.4SC.

I know GT500 are very small to the cafe rating but going by what we saw with the SHO an ecoboosted gt500 would match the mileage numbers of the GT.

have your cake and eat it too, 550+hp with 26 or better mpg... Where do i sign?
Old 9/2/10, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

The 5.4 is leaving. The question is when?

Quick Reply: leaks