2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

December 2015 Mustang Sales

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/15, 02:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Chrysler/Dodge have made it a habit of building their production cars as close as possible in looks to the concept. I wish every manufacturer was as ballsy with their styling, for better or worse.
Many posters here say that about the Challenger. Even after 7 years. That comment stands out the most, with the weight following close behind.

But as for Mustang, apparently only retro folks feel that way now.

Most all the late model S197 folks - with all it's diapers, conflicting lines, 3 story rear ends - now dis the 05-09 S197 as "too boring". When it holds closer to 1st gen with it's blend of 65-70 - like Chally holds closer to the original Cuda/Challenger.

I guess Ford lost it's ballsy.

From Edmunds "Two Coolest Cars in America":

Attached Thumbnails December 2015 Mustang Sales-2008-coolest-cars.jpg  

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/7/15 at 02:35 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 02:33 PM
Post *****

And so now we have S550 - with its 45* slant rear, camaro doors, and whatever you name that front. And some are clamoring for this. Seems like Mustang owners have gone skitzo.

No offense to schizophreniacs.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/7/15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
And so now we have S550 - with its 45* slant rear, camaro doors, and whatever you name that front. And some are clamoring for this. Seems like Mustang owners have gone skitzo.

I personally think this render is A LOT better than the S550. Is is retro? Not at all. But you can only do retro for so long. At some point it stops looking retro and just looks old.

And since Ford already comitted to futuristic design with the S550, I think this is a good way for the car to evolve into a slick, sporty shape.

You will not see headlights the size of dinner plates any time soon thanks to LED/HID design. (unless it's a dodge.) That was a 05-09 domain, and to me it looked like it came from the 80s. Same with the GIANT tail lights. That must have been a world record for largest square footage area of tail light with only 3 bulbs. Blah.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/7/15 at 06:52 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 07:13 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I personally think this render is A LOT better than the S550. Is is retro? Not at all. But you can only do retro for so long. At some point it stops looking retro and just looks old.
I understand that and it has been well stated many times. I'm thankful you guys want that shtuff because I bought retro on purpose. Niether II, Fox, SN95 ever came close to opening my wallet. But I grew up on 65 2+2. Many of people here only saw them in a magazine or at a car show.

Now some want Mustang to leap into Lamboland. More power to you. The more you guys like uber stuff, the more retro my SMQ Bullitt becomes.

I was responding to so many people still complimenting the Challenger's clean look. Like the 05-09 S197 was.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/7/15 at 07:16 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 07:34 PM
Banned

I understand that and it has been well stated many times. I'm thankful you guys want that shtuff because I bought retro on purpose. Niether II, Fox, SN95 ever came close to opening my wallet. But I grew up on 65 2+2. Many of people here only saw them in a magazine or at a car show.

Now some want Mustang to leap into Lamboland. More power to you. The more you guys like uber stuff, the more retro my SMQ Bullitt becomes.

I was responding to so many people still complimenting the Challenger's clean look. Like the 05-09 S197 was.
You sir are certainly right, your Bullitt will be the most retro Mustang unless you have a 65 Resto mod. Not my cup of tea, but I see them being a collectors car in 15 years.
Old 1/7/15, 08:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Just curious but is there a rear end to that render picture to see?
Old 1/7/15, 08:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And since Ford already comitted to futuristic design with the S550, I think this is a good way for the car to evolve into a slick, sporty shape.

You will not see headlights the size of dinner plates any time soon thanks to LED/HID design. (unless it's a dodge.) That was a 05-09 domain, and to me it looked like it came from the 80s. Same with the GIANT tail lights. That must have been a world record for largest square footage area of tail light with only 3 bulbs. Blah.
Actually, after doing a google image search I'll go back to what I said before:

That looks like A LOT like a 2015 to me.

... Just one that's been squashed from the roof down (e.g. everything has been flattened and widened). The proportions are off.

That drawing seems to have first been posted in June 2012 and was based on previous renders and information from someone describing a 2015 Mustang. He took influences from, leaked drawings, other peoples guesses and Aston Martin (and apparently the Mondeo/Fusion) for the front. That explains the headlights and grill.

So, to sum up: That drawing is not from Ford and was actually (a decent) guess at what the 2015 would look like based on best available info.
Old 1/7/15, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Not that I'm aware of. I'm curious too.

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
Actually, after doing a google image search I'll go back to what I said before:

That looks like A LOT like a 2015 to me.

... Just one that's been squashed from the roof down (e.g. everything has been flattened and widened). The proportions are off.

That drawing seems to have first been posted in June 2012 and was based on previous renders and information from someone describing a 2015 Mustang. He took influences from, leaked drawings, other peoples guesses and Aston Martin (and apparently the Mondeo/Fusion) for the front. That explains the headlights and grill.

So, to sum up: That drawing is not from Ford and was actually (a decent) guess at what the 2015 would look like based on best available info.
Outside of the "wide mouth Bass" grill I don't see a 2015 resemblance. The stance is lower, the hood is much shorter, headlights are more narrow a and slanted down and it has grill mounted fogs (I'm a big fan of that).

I don't think it looks close to a 2015. I see this render and I think "WOW". I see a 2015 and I think "eh".

I guess to Charlie's point the render does look more Lambo-like or Audi R8 like. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/7/15 at 08:28 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 08:40 PM

There isn't.

Not that I'm aware of. I'm curious too.
Outside of the "wide mouth Bass" grill I don't see a 2015 resemblance. The stance is lower, the hood is much shorter, headlights are more narrow a and slanted down and it has grill mounted fogs (I'm a big fan of that).

I'll give you the foglights, but they look silly there. They're super tiny and look tacked on. I actually was glad to not have them there any longer. It was time to put that to rest for awhile. I also don't think the headlights look that narrow to me. In fact, it looks like he used the 13/14 headlights as inspiration.

The car is definitely more squat. it looks three feet tall. I'll disagree about not having a long hood. The artist was just horrible at proportion and angles.

He based it on the image below, which got parts right and was based on an Aston IRL photo. The headlights on this one definitely look narrower. I also think it looks amazing.

I get you don't like the S550 as it is, not everyone is going to love every car. I didn't hate, but never loved the 2010-2014s. It's one reason I kept my '09 GT so long.
Attached Thumbnails December 2015 Mustang Sales-15mustang2.jpg  

Last edited by JeffreyDJ; 1/7/15 at 08:41 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 08:43 PM

http://www.falconforums.com.au/showt...-amp-Spy-Shots

Also, this is where I was reading through. Quiet fun to read through and see the conjecture and renderings. There are some amazing renders in there and toward the end some serious leaks a few years prior to eventual release.
Old 1/7/15, 08:45 PM
Banned

I'll give you the foglights, but they look silly there. They're super tiny and look tacked on. I actually was glad to not have them there any longer. It was time to put that to rest for awhile. I also don't think the headlights look that narrow to me. In fact, it looks like he used the 13/14 headlights as inspiration.

The car is definitely more squat. it looks three feet tall. I'll disagree about not having a long hood. The artist was just horrible at proportion and angles.

He based it on the image below, which got parts right and was based on an Aston IRL photo. The headlights on this one definitely look narrower. I also think it looks amazing.

I get you don't like the S550 as it is, not everyone is going to love every car. I didn't hate, but never loved the 2010-2014s. It's one reason I kept my '09 GT so long.
That picture you just posted makes me think this is the new version of a Ferrari 575 Maranello, and I like it a lot! We're in agreement there I like the lights and the grill a lot more. Not even missing the grill mounted fogs in this one! That car looks like sex on wheels. Perhaps the side mirrors could shrink a bit, but outside of that I'm sold.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/7/15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 08:49 PM

That picture you just posted makes me think this is the new version of a Ferrari 575 Maranello, and I like it a lot! We're in agreement there I like the lights and the grill a lot more. Not even missing the grill mounted fogs in this one! That car looks like sex on wheels.
Don't tell anyone, but If that render had been made into an actual Mustang I may have liked it better than my '15.
Old 1/7/15, 08:51 PM
Banned

Don't tell anyone, but If that render had been made into an actual Mustang I may have liked it better than my '15.
Exactly. I would trade my '14 for that car in a heartbeat. Like tomorrow. Beautiful car, thanks for posting.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/7/15 at 08:53 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 08:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Camaro nearly went extinct not so long ago. It's just a matter of time before we are all doing burnouts on its fossilized remnants.
Old 1/7/15, 08:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I just got an erection. Oh snap. Good bye to my 2011 model of this was the next stang

Name:  ForumRunner_20150107_225735.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  21.0 KB
Old 1/8/15, 12:23 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got an erection. Oh snap. Good bye to my 2011 model of this was the next stang
Yea, but that isn't going to happen...

That does indeed look like an Aston, or perhaps a Jag XKR... Anything but a Mustang...

One of the issues with the Camaro is the roof is too low, too hard to see out of.

Ford is trying to get back to 150k units a year in sales, the past 5 years have been terrible in terms of sales, if the Mustang continues to sell 60-80k units a year, we might not HAVE a 60th edition.

Be careful what you all wish for.
Old 1/8/15, 12:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by FlyTexas

Yea, but that isn't going to happen...

That does indeed look like an Aston, or perhaps a Jag XKR... Anything but a Mustang...

One of the issues with the Camaro is the roof is too low, too hard to see out of.

Ford is trying to get back to 150k units a year in sales, the past 5 years have been terrible in terms of sales, if the Mustang continues to sell 60-80k units a year, we might not HAVE a 60th edition.

Be careful what you all wish for.
I completely understand what your saying. I not confident Ford will sell 150k units world wide in 2015 with the S550 model as it is now.
Old 1/8/15, 12:58 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely understand what your saying. I not confident Ford will sell 150k units world wide in 2015 with the S550 model as it is now.
I personally think it is all about marketing for Ford now...

If I may say, and some people here might not like this, but it is just my personal opinion speaking...

Ford needs to broaden the appeal of the Mustang beyond just buyers who read these forums and have owned them for 30 years... I get that this is just a segment of the market, the fans who know every nut and bolt of their Mustang, but to make it work, they need to sell them to your average person who just wants a fun sporty looking car that is fun to drive and makes them feel good.

In some respects, the other comments about price are fair, it is now expensive in the nicer trims and that hurts it I think. The inability to get a V6 Premium Mustang for under $30K is a problem I think. That price is a barrier for a lot of people.

Having driven the '15 GT and having experience in the older Mustangs, I really think Ford needs to play up the "refined daily driver" aspect. It really is a nicer ride, a more livable car for people who aren't "Mustang owners", but just Ford owners.

The type of people who have been buying a Fusion or a Focus ST, need to drive the new Mustang.

Just my humble opinion of course... but frankly the diehard fans haven't been buying for 5 years now... perhaps new fans are required? The IRS and updated technology brought me in, who else could that bring in?

As for the looks, I liked the 05-09 series, the retro look was nice, and I like the new '15 look, so it's all good to me.
Old 1/8/15, 05:27 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

No offense taken.

^ Hey, speak for yourself.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 1/8/15 at 05:30 AM.
Old 1/8/15, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by FlyTexas
I personally think it is all about marketing for Ford now...

If I may say, and some people here might not like this, but it is just my personal opinion speaking...

Ford needs to broaden the appeal of the Mustang beyond just buyers who read these forums and have owned them for 30 years... I get that this is just a segment of the market, the fans who know every nut and bolt of their Mustang, but to make it work, they need to sell them to your average person who just wants a fun sporty looking car that is fun to drive and makes them feel good.

In some respects, the other comments about price are fair, it is now expensive in the nicer trims and that hurts it I think. The inability to get a V6 Premium Mustang for under $30K is a problem I think. That price is a barrier for a lot of people.

Having driven the '15 GT and having experience in the older Mustangs, I really think Ford needs to play up the "refined daily driver" aspect. It really is a nicer ride, a more livable car for people who aren't "Mustang owners", but just Ford owners.

The type of people who have been buying a Fusion or a Focus ST, need to drive the new Mustang.

Just my humble opinion of course... but frankly the diehard fans haven't been buying for 5 years now... perhaps new fans are required? The IRS and updated technology brought me in, who else could that bring in?

As for the looks, I liked the 05-09 series, the retro look was nice, and I like the new '15 look, so it's all good to me.
I think you're right on much of that. It needed to remain a mustang, but bring in new drivers - and convert some of those sn95 and s197 buyers that have hung onto their cars.

As much as the S550 look may be polarizing the 10-14 models were as well. While they got a lot right, for many (me included) it just didn't fit all together properly. Coupled with a global slow down in car sales, we had the lowest selling mustang years ever the last few years.

I do think the S550 looks amazing. Looks like a mustang but a modern interpretation of one. I do hope it sells 150k and I hope global sales help it reach that number.

Last edited by JeffreyDJ; 1/8/15 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Typing on a phone

Quick Reply: December 2015 Mustang Sales