2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

December 2015 Mustang Sales

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/15, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Wait wait wait!! It says total mustang sales. There are allot of 2014 still on dealers lots or I should say there were. I am not seeing anythign about 2015 only. I can tell you the dealers around me had big incentives and where selling all 2014's they could get there hands on? Am I missing something?

I was one that helped with the numbers!! LOL
Old 1/6/15, 03:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Wait wait wait!! It says total mustang sales. There are allot of 2014 still on dealers lots or I should say there were. I am not seeing anythign about 2015 only. I can tell you the dealers around me had big incentives and where selling all 2014's they could get there hands on? Am I missing something?

I was one that helped with the numbers!! LOL
In Dallas I was hard pressed to find a '14 on lots. I'm sure they're stragglers. Regardless, that wouldn't cause the jump we saw.

Today there are only 5 2014's in the Texas extended dealer inventories, there weren't many more in the middle of November when I was searching. Ford had ramped down 2014 production month prior to the 2015 rollout.

Last edited by JeffreyDJ; 1/6/15 at 03:42 PM.
Old 1/6/15, 03:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
I think ford is at least trying to keep the car affordable by offering base models. Sure the GT's, Roushes and Shelbys are getting expensive but I think a base level v6 should still be considered affordable.
Yes, and the base V6 model is less than 25K, which is frankly affordable for almost anyone with a reasonable job...

That being said, the base V6 for that price is pretty plain, and for a 2+2 coupe, that is actually a lot of money...

The question becomes, would it sell THAT much better at $19K? Or would it sell "enough more copies" to make up for the lower price?

Or do they sell Fusions to people who are in that price bracket?
Old 1/6/15, 03:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bt4
1) "Polarizing" doesn't appear to be a factor as far as sales go. Yes, the design may put off some of the fan base.
My personal opinion, I love the new design. But I also loved the new 2005 model as well. I thought the 2004 was ugly, I was happy to see the 2005 bring classic styling back, but the ride was still terrible IMHO. The 2015 fixes that. I also think it looks like it has Eagle eyes, which perhaps don't reflect a horse, but the "eyes" of the headlights really are nice IMHO.

Originally Posted by bt4
2) Car Mags have generally favored the Camaro over the Mustang, not just now, but for most of the two car's existence. In 2001 the F4 easily outperformed the 2001 Mustang GT as noted by MT. Yet Camaro sales were under 30K for the year. Mustang sales were over 155k. Which do do you think has more impact on product planning--an MT review or sales? (Hint: It wasn't the Mustang that was discontinued in 2003.)
Car mags worry about track performance WAY too much. I just watched MT do a head 2 head of the Camaro SS 1LE and the 2015 Mustang GT PP. They ended up picking the Camaro over the Mustang, and it probably does indeed do better on the track.

But most buyers don't care, they want a comfortable daily driver, and I think the new Mustang is that. Ford would be smart to focus on that in their advertising... Point out that what they have done is take the classic Mustang fun and packaged it in a more civilized package that also does nice track times if you want, but makes a nicer daily driver than the last one.

Originally Posted by bt4
The single biggest factor in the volume of sales is price. GM and Ford have abandoned the market that made Camaro and Mustang popular icons in the first place. The new cars are great--great performers, safe (as TexasFly has pointed out), and in general terms, still a good bang for the bucks. But neither vehicle has remained true to its roots.
I have to admit to being outside of the norm here... When I look at a V8 performance coupe that does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and has all the nice stuff the GT Premium has and Ford tells me it will be $40K, while I don't think that is cheap, it doesn't strike me as unreasonable.

But this is coming from someone who paid $73k for a new SUV, which most people don't do. So Ford probably shouldn't be asking me my viewpoint since I'm outside the mean.

Originally Posted by bt4
By moving their product upscale, both companies are also facing stiffer competition. If I am in the market for a 'performance oriented car' , today, for the price of a new Camaro, or Mustang, I find that I can now (for not much more, or in some cases less) look at performance offerings from Nissan, Infiniti, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, and BMW. (An AMG CLA45 can be had for just about $2k more than a highly optioned Camaro, or Mustang, and will smoke both in the 0-60, and hold a far better resale because of that 3-pointed star on the hood.)
That is an interesting point... Other than a Nissan Sentra that I owned in high school, I have always owned a Ford or a GM, I've really never looked at anything else...

To be honest, an AMG CLA45 doesn't strike me as competition with the Mustang, and I just looked it up and in terms of price, it really isn't. Optioned out, it is far more expensive. The GT optioned is $42k the CLA45 optioned is $58K, that is a large difference.

That being said, before I spend $40K on a 'fun' car, perhaps some other options are worth considering, as you say.
Old 1/6/15, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddyLX
I contributed to the 2014 numbers.
Same, but I would've bought a 2015 if it were available with the Glass Roof. I don't love the looks, but I don't hate them either. I do like the new interior design (even if the materials aren't any better) and IRS.
Old 1/6/15, 04:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ

What?! Just because you think it's ugly doesn't make it so. They sold more Mustang the last two months then they have in a very long time; in typically slow winter months to boot. There have been many articles that have stated that the new Mustang demand has been high and that dealers have limited supply. On average they're keeping them on lots not long at all.

Additionally, when the Camaro launched, I surely didn't have a hard time finding one after GM ramped production to normal levels, e.g. after a few months.

Just because you can say it, doesn't make it a reality. Just because there are cars on lots, doesn't mean they're staying there long.

My opinion - I think the new Mustang is beautiful. It kept enough retro cool to know you're looking at a Mustang, but also looks like a modern car.
Being modern and good looking modern are two different things. I fully respect your view on the 2015 mustang being a beautiful car. I'm all in favor of retro being over but I was hoping for a modern bad a$$ raw , muscle looking new stang.

On the inside it definitely has all the goodies of modern technology but exterior, just not my cup of tea. Just to soft and sports car like the 2015 model is for my taste. If I wanted a sports car I would of bought a Corvette or Porsche or Mazda RX-8 or Subaru BRZ or Nissan 370Z Nismo.

I wanted a pony car and one that screams modern muscle and 2015 just doesn't have it in my own opinion. Personally, I hope Ford sells 200k plus 2015 models world wide. The stang is here for another 50 plus years and that's awesome.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/6/15 at 04:59 PM.
Old 1/6/15, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyTexas

Car mags worry about track performance WAY too much. I just watched MT do a head 2 head of the Camaro SS 1LE and the 2015 Mustang GT PP. They ended up picking the Camaro over the Mustang, and it probably does indeed do better on the track.

But most buyers don't care, they want a comfortable daily driver, and I think the new Mustang is that. Ford would be smart to focus on that in their advertising... Point out that what they have done is take the classic Mustang fun and packaged it in a more civilized package that also does nice track times if you want, but makes a nicer daily driver than the last one.

I agree completely about car mags and the automotive media in general. There is a tendency in the media to rate production cars based on how they perform on a road course or a drag track. The reality is that these are not track cars, they are factory production street cars and I think it would behoove car manufacturers to keep that in mind.

The automotive media in the U.S. is bought and paid for by the car companies. Throw enough money at them and they'll say whatever you want about a car no matter how good or bad it might actually be. To emphasize that point there was an article not long ago on Jalopnik about automotive journalists who gathered on an "invite only" facebook page and proceeded to complain about the quality of free gifts they were receiving from car companies when they were brought to a location to review a new product.

I personally don't bother reading automotive journalism anymore because it has nothing to do with the how the car you are reading about will actually perform on the street in day to day driving where 99.9% of the people reading the article will drive. Instead its all about how fast they could get the car to 60 mph and what kind of lap times it gets at some road race course. Have any of you ever seen how they get 0 to 60 times for these articles? Most of you would never beat on your car that hard, at least not if you expected it to last.

FlyTexas is right, I'd rather have a car that is designed to be a good street car any day over some car that was designed to do really well on a race track. Race cars make terrible street cars and I have no desire to put my street car on a race track.
Old 1/6/15, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think there is much of anything here that can point to strong or week '15 sales. So many factors. And, it's way too early.
- Global sales have not yet occurred. Last I read it was mid-year 2015.
- The convertible is just now reaching dealers
- Production ramp up, some quality issues and re-tooling, etc. I'm sure has Ford not yet at full production capability - so, supply is constrained. People are still, just now, taking delivery of their LE's for gosh sakes
- 14's and 15's blended in the numbers requires that we guess - but, on these forums, those looking for 14's have had a hard time finding them for at least 2 months
- FINALLY, two months (how long the '15 has really be available for sale from dealer inventories) is not a trend in anyone's book and can't be used, along with the above factors, to judge a success or fail of this car's launch.

We should be talking about this a year from now...

Last edited by KC3333; 1/6/15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 1/6/15, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
I agree completely about car mags and the automotive media in general. There is a tendency in the media to rate production cars based on how they perform on a road course or a drag track. The reality is that these are not track cars, they are factory production street cars and I think it would behoove car manufacturers to keep that in mind.

The automotive media in the U.S. is bought and paid for by the car companies. Throw enough money at them and they'll say whatever you want about a car no matter how good or bad it might actually be. To emphasize that point there was an article not long ago on Jalopnik about automotive journalists who gathered on an "invite only" facebook page and proceeded to complain about the quality of free gifts they were receiving from car companies when they were brought to a location to review a new product.

I personally don't bother reading automotive journalism anymore because it has nothing to do with the how the car you are reading about will actually perform on the street in day to day driving where 99.9% of the people reading the article will drive. Instead its all about how fast they could get the car to 60 mph and what kind of lap times it gets at some road race course. Have any of you ever seen how they get 0 to 60 times for these articles? Most of you would never beat on your car that hard, at least not if you expected it to last.

FlyTexas is right, I'd rather have a car that is designed to be a good street car any day over some car that was designed to do really well on a race track. Race cars make terrible street cars and I have no desire to put my street car on a race track.
I would guestimate that you're on point for 90% of the owners. But look at the Fast Lane or Mustang Motorsports sections here and you'll see there are quite a few Mustang owners who use their cars to their full potential by doing track weekends, or drag strip runs.

Those of us who do take 0-60 times and lap times quite seriously. Also head to head comparos car magazines do are a very good source of information regarding handling and trackability of a vehicle. I track my car 4 days out of the ~180 days per year it gets driven. But for those 4 days out of the year the track performance of my car is the only thing that matters to me. Last year I only got beaten by Corvettes and Boss 302s. And it feels really good to pass a $50k M3 with your $30k Mustang.

And there are more and more Mustangs attending BMW club, Lotus Club, Porsche Club and Audi club outings every year. Mostly becasue Mustangs have gotten really good at the track in the last 4 years. God Bless America.
Old 1/6/15, 08:12 PM
GT Member

No doubt Mustang numbers are held up by all the people that waited to buy until the 2015's showed up. I personally opted not to buy a 2011 when the HP boost hit because of early predictions of 2015's. Just saved my $ and now a happy 2015 owner. I know it will be in my stable until the all titanium dark matter powered version hits.

I can't be alone. Any big change or uber cool variant (Mach 1, Boss 302) will cause people to hold off for that cooler prize. Numbers will spike again. Lets see how sales are for 2015.

I'm just happy that the pony car market is full of options and sales are good.
Old 1/6/15, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Being modern and good looking modern are two different things. I fully respect your view on the 2015 mustang being a beautiful car. I'm all in favor of retro being over but I was hoping for a modern bad a$$ raw , muscle looking new stang.

On the inside it definitely has all the goodies of modern technology but exterior, just not my cup of tea. Just to soft and sports car like the 2015 model is for my taste. If I wanted a sports car I would of bought a Corvette or Porsche or Mazda RX-8 or Subaru BRZ or Nissan 370Z Nismo.

I wanted a pony car and one that screams modern muscle and 2015 just doesn't have it in my own opinion. Personally, I hope Ford sells 200k plus 2015 models world wide. The stang is here for another 50 plus years and that's awesome.
I can respect that. The good news, there will always be a refresh in 3-5 years
Old 1/6/15, 11:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Your absolutely correct. I'm confident Ford will make refresh changes in the upcoming years.
Old 1/7/15, 06:36 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

That is an interesting point... Other than a Nissan Sentra that I owned in high school, I have always owned a Ford or a GM, I've really never looked at anything else...

To be honest, an AMG CLA45 doesn't strike me as competition with the Mustang, and I just looked it up and in terms of price, it really isn't. Optioned out, it is far more expensive. The GT optioned is $42k the CLA45 optioned is $58K, that is a large difference.

That being said, before I spend $40K on a 'fun' car, perhaps some other options are worth considering, as you say.
Yes, you can option-up a CLA45, but you can also get into a CLA45 for $47K. I just looked at a couple of 2015 Premium GT's one north of $42K, the other north of $44K. I believe the MT tested GT with the PP was $46K. The local Ford dealer also has an anniversary GT in Wimbledon White in their showroom--$58K will not buy it. (MSRP is $62,694). Those prices put the Mustang in the same ballpark as a CLA45, (which has 4-doors and a genuinely usable back seat).

Check out the official Ford site. A premium GT with auto starts at $37, with just one option (410A) you are already over $40K. Choose triple-yellow and the 50 year appearance package and you are already over $42K. (I choose the 3.55 rear-end). Add Sync with voice nav and adaptive cruise and now you are over $44K. If you have selected the security package you are looking at a list (from Ford) at $44,985. By the time the dealer adds prep and delivery you are looking at $46K.

To be fair, you can get a Base GT (and if you don't start adding too many options you can have a great performance car for $36K. Just my opinion, I think that is a great bang-for-the buck deal. However at $46K (and especially at $62K) that bang for the buck proposition changes a great deal.

An Infiniti Q60 starts at $40K. AWD can be had at $42,600. The top of the line with a seven speed automatic is still under $50K. A new Lexus RC350 starts at $42,750. (Cheaper than either of the Premium GT's I looked at at my local Ford dealer.) An Audi TTS starts at $48,700! For less money than my Ford dealer wants for the anniversary edition, I could buy a Porsche Boxster ($51.4--yeah the GTS is north of $73K, but I could still buy a Boxster for around the $51K mark.) or a Porsche Cayman ($52.6)

I think you understand what I'm trying to say. Ten years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of cross-shopping the 06 GT I bought with a Lexus, Infiniti, or Mercedes (or any of those vehicles mentioned). Now, I find that they are indeed cars I consider in the equation. And, I am cross-shopping against makes and models that I would not have considered before.
Old 1/7/15, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Your absolutely correct. I'm confident Ford will make refresh changes in the upcoming years.
You are absolutely correct, and if it looks like this render I'll be all over it. I want this car NOW!
Attached Thumbnails December 2015 Mustang Sales-22001155.jpg  
Old 1/7/15, 08:15 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bt4
Yes, you can option-up a CLA45, but you can also get into a CLA45 for $47K. I just looked at a couple of 2015 Premium GT's one north of $42K, the other north of $44K. I believe the MT tested GT with the PP was $46K. The local Ford dealer also has an anniversary GT in Wimbledon White in their showroom--$58K will not buy it. (MSRP is $62,694). Those prices put the Mustang in the same ballpark as a CLA45, (which has 4-doors and a genuinely usable back seat). Check out the official Ford site. A premium GT with auto starts at $37, with just one option (410A) you are already over $40K. Choose triple-yellow and the 50 year appearance package and you are already over $42K. (I choose the 3.55 rear-end). Add Sync with voice nav and adaptive cruise and now you are over $44K. If you have selected the security package you are looking at a list (from Ford) at $44,985. By the time the dealer adds prep and delivery you are looking at $46K. To be fair, you can get a Base GT (and if you don't start adding too many options you can have a great performance car for $36K. Just my opinion, I think that is a great bang-for-the buck deal. However at $46K (and especially at $62K) that bang for the buck proposition changes a great deal. An Infiniti Q60 starts at $40K. AWD can be had at $42,600. The top of the line with a seven speed automatic is still under $50K. A new Lexus RC350 starts at $42,750. (Cheaper than either of the Premium GT's I looked at at my local Ford dealer.) An Audi TTS starts at $48,700! For less money than my Ford dealer wants for the anniversary edition, I could buy a Porsche Boxster ($51.4--yeah the GTS is north of $73K, but I could still buy a Boxster for around the $51K mark.) or a Porsche Cayman ($52.6) I think you understand what I'm trying to say. Ten years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of cross-shopping the 06 GT I bought with a Lexus, Infiniti, or Mercedes (or any of those vehicles mentioned). Now, I find that they are indeed cars I consider in the equation. And, I am cross-shopping against makes and models that I would not have considered before.
Great points.. Lexus RC350.. Yummy
Old 1/7/15, 09:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER

You are absolutely correct, and if it looks like this render I'll be all over it. I want this car NOW!
Oh my. Not bad at all. Very nice
Old 1/7/15, 11:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bt4
Yes, you can option-up a CLA45, but you can also get into a CLA45 for $47K. I just looked at a couple of 2015 Premium GT's one north of $42K, the other north of $44K. I believe the MT tested GT with the PP was $46K. The local Ford dealer also has an anniversary GT in Wimbledon White in their showroom--$58K will not buy it. (MSRP is $62,694). Those prices put the Mustang in the same ballpark as a CLA45, (which has 4-doors and a genuinely usable back seat).
Yes, but at $47K the CLA45 doesn't even come with leather, it comes with vinyl (they call it leatherette!).

Really? Vinyl in a Merc? In 2015? Bleh. The Mustang comes with real leather. It might not be the BEST leather, but at least it came off a real animal.

The GT at $44K also comes with more technology than the CLA45 does.

You're right about the back seat, I showed it to my wife who went, "oh, that looks nice in red, I'll drive that".

But alas, no air conditioned seats, not even as an option, so it isn't on the list.

Originally Posted by bt4
By the time the dealer adds prep and delivery you are looking at $46K.
Not by the time I've bought it below invoice. I honestly don't know how much Merc dealers haggle on price, or if they are more firm like I've heard BMW is (no experience, just what I've heard).

A Ford dealer? He'll go to invoice (well, once supply catches up), then off take half of holdback and toss in part of his volume incentives once I push a bit.

Originally Posted by bt4
An Infiniti Q60 starts at $40K. AWD can be had at $42,600. The top of the line with a seven speed automatic is still under $50K. A new Lexus RC350 starts at $42,750. (Cheaper than either of the Premium GT's I looked at at my local Ford dealer.) An Audi TTS starts at $48,700! For less money than my Ford dealer wants for the anniversary edition, I could buy a Porsche Boxster ($51.4--yeah the GTS is north of $73K, but I could still buy a Boxster for around the $51K mark.) or a Porsche Cayman ($52.6)
I get your point, but I think you're comparing the base of those cars to a fully optioned out GT.

I usually just get into Edmunds and tick off all the options and compared loaded to loaded (within reason, some options are indeed silly and probably just there for those with too much money).

My wife and I were watching Top Gear (BBC version) last night and they drove an Audi A8. I looked it up on the iPad and fully optioned? Stickers at $103K! For an Audi A8! Nuts! But what do I know, that isn't my type of car. Makes my SUV seem cheap now!

Originally Posted by bt4
I think you understand what I'm trying to say. Ten years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of cross-shopping the 06 GT I bought with a Lexus, Infiniti, or Mercedes (or any of those vehicles mentioned). Now, I find that they are indeed cars I consider in the equation. And, I am cross-shopping against makes and models that I would not have considered before.
Yes, and you make a fair point, one that I will indeed consider. It is also a reasonable one, I agree with you that the price does seem to have gone up a lot in the past 10 years. But that seems true of many vehicles.

In 2004, I was in a brand new Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 with all the options. Sticker price? $37K. Today? A 2015 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 with all the options? Stickers at $71K! For a Tahoe!

That is almost DOUBLE! In 11 years! That is insane... Of course, I bought the Yukon XL Denali version of it, so who am I to speak. I think it also speaks to the price rise of Mustangs and other similar cars in recent years.
Old 1/7/15, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
If you turn that into a "real" car and not a drawing, it's gonna look a lot like the 2015 does today
Old 1/7/15, 12:22 PM
GT Member

If you turn that into a "real" car and not a drawing, it's gonna look a lot like the 2015 does today
Now, now... don't burst his bubble.

Look at the concept car for the Chevy Volt, then what they ended up building... Bleah...

But, it happens sometimes, look at the concept Viper way back when, then look at what they built... they did that one right...
Old 1/7/15, 12:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Now, now... don't burst his bubble. Look at the concept car for the Chevy Volt, then what they ended up building... Bleah... But, it happens sometimes, look at the concept Viper way back when, then look at what they built... they did that one right...
Chrysler/Dodge have made it a habit of building their production cars as close as possible in looks to the concept. I wish every manufacturer was as ballsy with their styling, for better or worse.

Quick Reply: December 2015 Mustang Sales