2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

December 2015 Mustang Sales

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/15, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
December 2015 Mustang Sales

Ford brand's sales of all car models were off, save for the new-design Mustang, which was up 66.1% to 9,511.

That puts it well ahead of rival Chevrolet Camaro's 6,628. 2,883 more Mustangs, but Now we need to know if this put Mustang in the lead for the entire year. I think it may have missed, but only barely. Anyone know?
Old 1/5/15, 12:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no inside knowledge, but I wonder if lack of supply hurt those numbers, as well as dealers early on not discounting.

I drove the GT the first week it was at the dealer, no discounts, so I didn't drive one home.

What surprises me more is the Camaro's numbers, given the old body style that hasn't really been changed in many years and the fact that a new one is coming so soon.

The Mustang just saw a major redesign, I would expect it to blow out the sales numbers.
Old 1/5/15, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyTexas
What surprises me more is the Camaro's numbers, given the old body style that hasn't really been changed in many years and the fact that a new one is coming so soon.

The Mustang just saw a major redesign, I would expect it to blow out the sales numbers.
You make a very good point. I think there are 2 factors playing against the S550 sales right now.

1) The outside redesign is very polarizing. I think it put off some of the Mustang fan base. I think a lot of potential Mustang buyers chose the remaining 2014s versus the new car. It has attracted some new buyers for sure too, but is it enough to give it a sustained sales edge?
2) The Car magazines comparos of S550 PP VS Camaro SS 1LE are in favor of the Camaro, which may sway people who are on the fence.

I fall into both of the above a little bit. I don't like the looks of the S550 so my choice was 2014 GT TP of 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE. It was a close call, but I went with the Mustang for multiple reasons. If I had to make the choice between S550 and Camaro now, I'd be driving the Camaro. I think my 14 looks better than the Camaro. I can't say the same about the S550.
Old 1/5/15, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
You make a very good point. I think there are 2 factors playing against the S550 sales right now.

1) The outside redesign is very polarizing. I think it put off some of the Mustang fan base. I think a lot of potential Mustang buyers chose the remaining 2014s versus the new car. It has attracted some new buyers for sure too, but is it enough to give it a sustained sales edge?
2) The Car magazines comparos of S550 PP VS Camaro SS 1LE are in favor of the Camaro, which may sway people who are on the fence.

I fall into both of the above a little bit. I don't like the looks of the S550 so my choice was 2014 GT TP of 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE. It was a close call, but I went with the Mustang for multiple reasons. If I had to make the choice between S550 and Camaro now, I'd be driving the Camaro. I think my 14 looks better than the Camaro. I can't say the same about the S550.
Lots of choices for everyone, that is a good thing... I hope you enjoy your '14 Mustang and that it gives you many years of fun.

I've come close twice to buying a Camaro SS, once when they first launched and once against in '13. Both times, I was put off by a few things. First, for all the power of the V8, it doesn't actually feel that sporty, it is a big heavy car and it has terrible visibility. It looks cool from the outside, but it isn't actually that nice to drive.

In 2009 I was close to buying a Mustang GT, but the ride quality put me off, the recent improvements to the '15 have it very high on my list. Frankly, the GT is now drives nicely enough for my multiple decades old body to enjoy.

The irony of course is that back in my 20s, I wanted a Mustang or Camaro, but never had the money. Now that I can afford them, I have to think about where to put kids, the wife, etc... #FirstWorldProblems indeed!
Old 1/5/15, 07:21 PM
Banned

Lots of choices for everyone, that is a good thing... I hope you enjoy your '14 Mustang and that it gives you many years of fun.

The irony of course is that back in my 20s, I wanted a Mustang or Camaro, but never had the money. Now that I can afford them, I have to think about where to put kids, the wife, etc... #FirstWorldProblems indeed!
Thanks! It's been great so far. I factory ordered mine with only the options I really wanted, and I use it as my fun summer car and track weekend warrior. It has defeated multiple BMW's, Audi's, Subaru's, a few Camaros (non 1LE) and older Mustangs. The '15 GT PP is slightly quicker at the track still, and at the price it's a bargain. It will do well for sure. I can't wait to see what the '17 or '19 redesigns bring.

First world problems indeed
Old 1/5/15, 07:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bill0754
That puts it well ahead of rival Chevrolet Camaro's 6,628. 2,883 more Mustangs, but Now we need to know if this put Mustang in the lead for the entire year. I think it may have missed, but only barely. Anyone know?
Here are the YTD totals for 2014.
Attached Thumbnails December 2015 Mustang Sales-image.jpg  
Old 1/5/15, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I can recall when selling 82 thousand Mustangs in a year would have had Ford considering it time to scrap the car from the lineup.
Old 1/5/15, 08:25 PM
GT Member

I'm actually shocked that the Mustang has not outsold the Camaro for the year...

Didn't they once outsell the Camaro like 2 or 3 to one? Or was that a long time ago?
Old 1/5/15, 09:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm actually shocked that the Mustang has not outsold the Camaro for the year...

Didn't they once outsell the Camaro like 2 or 3 to one? Or was that a long time ago?
2015 will net Ford being second behind Chevy once again for the 5th year that Camaro outsells Mustang. I love my 2011 but no way would I buy a 2015 looking like the way it does.
Old 1/5/15, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

There are a lot of people that enjoy guessing whether there is somebody next to them when they change lanes I guess.
Old 1/5/15, 10:38 PM
GT Member

I have no inside knowledge, but I wonder if lack of supply hurt those numbers, as well as dealers early on not discounting.

I drove the GT the first week it was at the dealer, no discounts, so I didn't drive one home.

We just need a good pitch man.... Oh wait! He`s dead.... It would have been fun to see him pitch the new stang though

Old 1/6/15, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
After visiting a few Ford Dealers to look at the new Fustang I was taken back by how many people where looking at the Eco Version. But Also that they where looking at the base for the cost. I think if you looked at a model break down it would paint a different picture. Does anyone know if those numbers are Global or just US? If it is Global Ford has an issue.
Old 1/6/15, 10:33 AM
GT Member

I contributed to the 2014 numbers.
Old 1/6/15, 12:32 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

1) "Polarizing" doesn't appear to be a factor as far as sales go. Yes, the design may put off some of the fan base. But, a sales increase of 66% in one of the traditionally slow months (sports coupes typically do more sales in warm months) says that the new S550 has been much better received by the people that vote with their wallet than the outgoing model. (Which is what Ford will use to measure success or failure.) The 2011-2014 versions were easily outsold by GM's pony. That isn't true of the new body style. (I think sales in 2011 were the lowest for the Mustang since '73.)

2) Car Mags have generally favored the Camaro over the Mustang, not just now, but for most of the two car's existence. In 2001 the F4 easily outperformed the 2001 Mustang GT as noted by MT. Yet Camaro sales were under 30K for the year. Mustang sales were over 155k. Which do do you think has more impact on product planning--an MT review or sales? (Hint: It wasn't the Mustang that was discontinued in 2003.)

The market niche of 2-door sports coupes has declined considerably since 2006. The Camaro may have outsold the Mustang, but neither car has unit sales to brag about. When Ford introduced the 2005, unit sales were over 160,000, (over 166,000 sold in 2006). Those numbers are what inspired GM to launch the new Camaro. Unfortunately the economy, and the industry as a whole crashed. Despite outselling the Mustang, the Gen5 Camaro has never topped 100,000 units in a year. In fact, add the sales of Camaro and Mustang together for 2011 and both cars combined will barely equal the sales of the 2006 Mustang.

The single biggest factor in the volume of sales is price. GM and Ford have abandoned the market that made Camaro and Mustang popular icons in the first place. The new cars are great--great performers, safe (as TexasFly has pointed out), and in general terms, still a good bang for the bucks. But neither vehicle has remained true to its roots.

Ford (nor Chevy) did not intend their pony cars to be sports cars (but they are very close to that today). The concept was a sporty-looking coupe, that just about anyone with a job could afford. The original V6 was termed a 'Secretary's car' (and they sold over a million of them!). The fox Mustangs sold well--not because they were 'almost sports cars' they sold well because they were cheap transportation that with a modest budget could be made into stop-light bandits with a wealth of aftermarket parts.

By making their products sports cars, Ford and GM have raised the bar in performance and refinement--but that performance and refinement comes at a price. The Camaro and Mustang are no longer 'Secretary's Cars', and no longer affordable to just anyone. That may please many on this board. It makes the car they own more unique--nothing wrong with that. But raising the bar (and the price) guarantees fewer sales. I looked at a 2014 V6 premium in GHG last year--$36K+ on the sticker. (What secretary or fry cook can afford to pay 36K for a DD? In 2005 you could get a V6 for under 20K; still a stretch but maybe doable.)

By moving their product upscale, both companies are also facing stiffer competition. If I am in the market for a 'performance oriented car' , today, for the price of a new Camaro, or Mustang, I find that I can now (for not much more, or in some cases less) look at performance offerings from Nissan, Infiniti, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, and BMW. (An AMG CLA45 can be had for just about $2k more than a highly optioned Camaro, or Mustang, and will smoke both in the 0-60, and hold a far better resale because of that 3-pointed star on the hood.)

Moving the product upscale means higher performance, more content, and greater expectations. It also means stiffer competition, higher prices, and fewer sales.

JMO
Old 1/6/15, 12:50 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
That was an excellent post, bt4. Thanks.
Old 1/6/15, 01:08 PM
Banned

bt4, you make excellent points! Good post.

I will play devils advocate though. Price is certainly an important driving forces behind demand. However, this thread started comparing the relative success of the S550 vs the current Gen Camaro. Mustang should have had the edge being completely redesigned for the 2015 and being less expensive, yet the soon outgoing AND more expensive Camaro was in higher demand.

You would expect the mustang demand to be higher this year over the S197, which it was. But the lining here is that the Camaro still has something the new mustang doesn't. Wider appeal among the potential new muscle/sports car buyers.

One additional point is that 2015 the Mustang was available for sale Globally. The S197 did not have that going for it. Are these numbers including the Global sales? I certainly hope not. Otherwise there isn't an expected level of cost/benefit ratio associated with Global marketing, supply chain and sales costs.

Finally, I must disagree with you that the looks of the car have nothing to do with it's sales figures. If you look at this forum opinions are quite evenly split. If the exterior design was stunning to 75% of the intended market instead of 50% the figures would be much higher. If this new car looked good to me I'd be looking to trade up. It wouldn't cost me more than $5000 or so to trade my 14 for a 15. Same goes for many other 13-14 owners. But in the eye of a lot of current owners the S550 is not really a visual upgrade. Which is why sales are not higher than the Camaro in my humble opinion. The 86297 people who voted with their wallet and chose the Camaro last year must agree.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/6/15 at 01:25 PM.
Old 1/6/15, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bt4
1)

Ford (nor Chevy) did not intend their pony cars to be sports cars (but they are very close to that today). The concept was a sporty-looking coupe, that just about anyone with a job could afford. The original V6 was termed a 'Secretary's car' (and they sold over a million of them!). The fox Mustangs sold well--not because they were 'almost sports cars' they sold well because they were cheap transportation that with a modest budget could be made into stop-light bandits with a wealth of aftermarket parts.

Great post bt4. The only minor nit picky detail I would point out is that "the original V6" was really the original inline 6. But we all fully understood what you mean. I fully agree with your post.
Old 1/6/15, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
bt4, you make excellent points! Good post.

I will play devils advocate though. Price is certainly an important driving forces behind demand. However, this thread started comparing the relative success of the S550 vs the current Gen Camaro. Mustang should have had the edge being completely redesigned for the 2015 and being less expensive, yet the soon outgoing AND more expensive Camaro was in higher demand.

You would expect the mustang demand to be higher this year over the S197, which it was. But the lining here is that the Camaro still has something the new mustang doesn't. Wider appeal among the potential new muscle/sports car buyers.

One additional point is that 2015 the Mustang was available for sale Globally. The S197 did not have that going for it. Are these numbers including the Global sales? I certainly hope not. Otherwise there isn't an expected level of cost/benefit ratio associated with Global marketing, supply chain and sales costs.

Finally, I must disagree with you that the looks of the car have nothing to do with it's sales figures. If you look at this forum opinions are quite evenly split. If the exterior design was stunning to 75% of the intended market instead of 50% the figures would be much higher. If this new car looked good to me I'd be looking to trade up. It wouldn't cost me more than $5000 or so to trade my 14 for a 15. Same goes for many other 13-14 owners. But in the eye of a lot of current owners the S550 is not really a visual upgrade. Which is why sales are not higher than the Camaro in my humble opinion. The 86297 people who voted with their wallet and chose the Camaro last year must agree.
The looks have a huge part on the sales and being that the 2015 stang is all new, Ford should be slaying it with sales. The 2015 should be selling like the $hit is on fire. I can go to any Ford dealership around me and see 3 to 5 2015 mustangs on the lot. When the 2010 Camaro came out, good luck seeing one at the dealership let alone 5. Dealerships were lucky to even have one in the showroom when it was redesigned. I went to a local Ford dealership and they had 4 2015 mustangs on the lot and too me they should of been long sold.

Its ugly and that's why sales for 2015 will reflect such uglyness.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/6/15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 1/6/15, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think ford is at least trying to keep the car affordable by offering base models. Sure the GT's, Roushes and Shelbys are getting expensive but I think a base level v6 should still be considered affordable.
Old 1/6/15, 02:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
The looks have a huge part on the sales and being that the 2015 stang is all new, Ford should be slaying it with sales. The 2015 should be selling like the $hit is on fire. I can go to any Ford dealership around me and see 3 to 5 2015 mustangs on the lot. When the 2010 Camaro came out, good luck seeing one at the dealership let alone 5. Dealerships were lucky to even have one in the showroom when it was redesigned. I went to a local Ford dealership and they had 4 2015 mustangs on the lot and too me they should of been long sold.

Its ugly and that's why sales for 2015 will reflect such uglyness.
What?! Just because you think it's ugly doesn't make it so. They sold more Mustang the last two months then they have in a very long time; in typically slow winter months to boot. There have been many articles that have stated that the new Mustang demand has been high and that dealers have limited supply. On average they're keeping them on lots not long at all.

In November, Ford said that US auto dealers were running on an average eight-day supply for Ford Mustangs, which, in the context of the auto industry, essentially means a sold-out status. According to USA Today, a model usually sits for a little less than two months at US auto dealerships.

The news follows a logical sequence after the Michigan-based automaker’s global product development chief, Raj Nair, told USA Today in an interview earlier in September that pre-orders for the 2015 model of the halo car had comfortably exceeded the company’s own expectations in the US and abroad, where the Ford Mustang is going for sale for the first time in its 50-year history.
Additionally, when the Camaro launched, I surely didn't have a hard time finding one after GM ramped production to normal levels, e.g. after a few months.

Just because you can say it, doesn't make it a reality. Just because there are cars on lots, doesn't mean they're staying there long.

My opinion - I think the new Mustang is beautiful. It kept enough retro cool to know you're looking at a Mustang, but also looks like a modern car.

Quick Reply: December 2015 Mustang Sales