2015 Mustang Articles

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/12, 10:22 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turn3
From Motortrend:

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-pl...#axzz2DSJhZ7sl

What impact, if at all, do you think this will have on the next gen Mustang?

I believe, mechanically, no impact. But I'm willing to bet the styling will be, or has been, impacted by this decision.

I see now I misunderstood (or was mislead) by the above article. Below are related articles referring to Ford of Europe developing a "sub" Mustang, in reaction to the current Mustang.

"Although the next Mustang is being developed for global markets, Ford of Europe believes that its sales potential in the EU will be limited due to its size, price and thirst. It’s not clear where the coupé proposal sits in terms of size, price and performance."

Ford boss rejects proposal for new small coupé: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...all-coup%C3%A9

Report: Ford CEO Says No To Europe’s Small Sports Coupe: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/repo...#axzz2DXR3wM1D
Old 12/21/12, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just received my Autoweek Newsletter, by e-mail, and a quote from J. Mays jumped right out at me. He indicated, the new Mustang design will not have any retro styling cues. My comment was:

"So, the "new" Mustang design equation, according to Mays, will not have any retro styling cues. Hmm..guys, have you noticed Porsche, I am thinking 911. Why would you completely change the style of the Mustang, when it is so popular? Have you forgotten the heritage of the Mustang? Guess I will be keeping my 2011 GT/CS. People instantly know what it is. The word Mustang does not appear on my 2011, yet no one has ever asked, what is that car? And, have you noticed how many places the words Camaro and Challenger appear on the outside of these cars? Isn't that a clue? Mays, I hope you do not screw this up!"
Old 12/21/12, 11:01 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I just received my Autoweek Newsletter, by e-mail, and a quote from J. Mays jumped right out at me. He indicated, the new Mustang design will not have any retro styling cues. My comment was:

"So, the "new" Mustang design equation, according to Mays, will not have any retro styling cues. Hmm..guys, have you noticed Porsche, I am thinking 911. Why would you completely change the style of the Mustang, when it is so popular? Have you forgotten the heritage of the Mustang? Guess I will be keeping my 2011 GT/CS. People instantly know what it is. The word Mustang does not appear on my 2011, yet no one has ever asked, what is that car? And, have you noticed how many places the words Camaro and Challenger appear on the outside of these cars? Isn't that a clue? Mays, I hope you do not screw this up!"
I hear ya John, but the SN-95 and foxes were successful and they didn't have a ton of classic cues in them either.

As much as I love my '11 it's time to move on in the styling department. I'll probably keep it forever since I love the retro styling. But I will most likely add a '15+ to the stable too.

What's wrong with creating some new history?
Old 12/21/12, 11:10 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I hear ya John, but the SN-95 and foxes were successful and they didn't have a ton of classic cues in them either.
That is true... but there's a ton of us that stayed away from Ford during the II, Fox, SN95 years cause all we could do is shake our head and reminisce of the classic Mustang years we grew up with... till the S197 opened our wallets.
Old 12/21/12, 12:05 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That is true... but there's a ton of us that stayed away from Ford during the II, Fox, SN95 years cause all we could do is shake our head and reminisce of the classic Mustang years we grew up with... till the S197 opened our wallets.
I think it's possible that cycle could repeat itself. Then in 2025 or 2030 Ford could go back retro again.
Old 12/21/12, 12:20 PM

As long as they capture the original Mustang spirit/soul rather than specific stylistic details, I could be happy, though certainly some won't.

In a sense, the '65 Mustang itself was a new, different and modern design, so perhaps what's important is not so much replicating the specific stylistic details of the original but rather, the spirit of the orginal. So perhaps then for the 2015 also to be a new, different and modern design is fully in line with the true spirit of the Mustang rather than a deviation from it.

Actually though, a bit of both may be true because I see a lot of Mustang DNA in many aspects of the EVOS concept in particular and even in many of the trickle down aspects of many of the newest Ford designs, particularly the Fusion. So in fact, the 2015 Mustang may be completely new in one sense and not a retro design like the S197s, yet also retain Mustang stylistic DNA at the deepest levels.
Old 12/21/12, 12:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
As long as they capture the original Mustang spirit/soul rather than specific stylistic details, I could be happy, though certainly some won't.

In a sense, the '65 Mustang itself was a new, different and modern design, so perhaps what's important is not so much replicating the specific stylistic details of the original but rather, the spirit of the orginal. So perhaps then for the 2015 also to be a new, different and modern design is fully in line with the true spirit of the Mustang rather than a deviation from it.

Actually though, a bit of both may be true because I see a lot of Mustang DNA in many aspects of the EVOS concept in particular and even in many of the trickle down aspects of many of the newest Ford designs, particularly the Fusion. So in fact, the 2015 Mustang may be completely new in one sense and not a retro design like the S197s, yet also retain Mustang stylistic DNA at the deepest levels.
This.
Old 12/21/12, 01:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh man i just . hope they get it right, cuz it might just be my last new Mustang . Will buy a '56 Ford truck instead.
Old 12/21/12, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb

The '65 was based on the Falcon. With Ford basing the '15 on it's Euro platform, we could be seeing a second revival. In 2025, the "retro" theme may recapture the '15 rendition.

We'll see.
Old 12/21/12, 03:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva

As much as I love my '11 it's time to move on in the styling department. I'll probably keep it forever since I love the retro styling. But I will most likely add a '15+ to the stable too.

What's wrong with creating some new history?
I agree, there is nothing wrong with creating new history; however, not at the expense of the Mustang line. If they go to far into left field, and build a car no one recognizes, immediately, as a Mustang, I am concerned the car could be a sales disaster. Then again, they may appeal to a whole new generation, and have run away sales.

I understand, they are not trying to appeal to us "old farts", we have ours. They are looking for young buyers, who will be around a while. I just hope the design team gets it right, so the new kids will have a 100th Anniversary Edition to enjoy.
Old 12/21/12, 03:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I agree, there is nothing wrong with creating new history; however, not at the expense of the Mustang line. If they go to far into left field, and build a car no one recognizes, immediately, as a Mustang, I am concerned the car could be a sales disaster. Then again, they may appeal to a whole new generation, and have run away sales.

I understand, they are not trying to appeal to us "old farts", we have ours. They are looking for young buyers, who will be around a while. I just hope the design team gets it right, so the new kids will have a 100th Anniversary Edition to enjoy.
Agreed 1000%
Old 12/22/12, 10:16 AM
Cobra Member

J. Mays has also previously said in that it WILL be recognizable as a Mustang, so I don't think they'll throw out all the design cues like they did in 1979. I sure hope we don't lose sequential tail lamps.
Old 12/22/12, 06:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't worry to much.
I have a feeling from this point forward, the mustang won't stray far from its roots with the the DNA of its looks.

Yes it will be different, yes it will look Mustang. this I have no doubt.
Old 12/22/12, 07:53 PM
V6 Member

You guys have to remember, this is J. Mays personally working the Mustang. Let's run through some designs over the last 10 years that he is responsible for...

Now... Don't we feel better I'm personally still waiting for the Cobra Roadster. As far as automotive designers go, arguably he's in the top 3. In my opinion, he has designed more show stoppers in the last 10 years than any other company, let alone single designer.

Last edited by thePill; 12/22/12 at 07:56 PM.
Old 1/22/13, 03:10 PM
GT Member

The Toyota Tundra looks American.......hmmmmm....where's that made and why does it look like it rolled out of Texas??? I'm thinkin' here....... Oh yeah, They wanted it to look American.
Old 1/22/13, 03:13 PM
GT Member

Deleted quote
Old 1/22/13, 03:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
LOL, yes very important that the car "look" American made considering most of the components are sourced from China, Canada and Mexico.
The Toyota Tundra looks American.......hmmmmm....where's that made and why does it look like it rolled out of Texas??? I'm thinkin' here....... Oh yeah, They wanted it to look American.
Old 3/14/13, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2013/03/07/for...h-new-mustang/
Old 3/15/13, 01:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Interesting............nice find, TN
Old 3/15/13, 08:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Did you guys check out the comments section? I love how people who have probably never driven a mustang are bashing its ride characteristics and reliability. Volkswagens and BMW'S are more reliable? Can't wait until the next Gen ZR1 destroys the newest Porsche and some douchbag will comment on the Porsche having a better interior. Europeans have no idea what they are talking about. Americans have a better basis to compare because every performance car is marketed in the united states

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Articles