2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Articles

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/12, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyW
Is it the total displacement that makes these engines buzzier as they get larger or is it specifically the stroke or bore? For instance if you had two different 2.5 inline 4's and one had a big bore/short stroke and the other was small bore/long stroke, would they be equally buzzy or would one be worse?
Actually, engine smoothness or lack thereof is just as dependent on architecture as it might be on displacement. For example, a 60 degree V6 is a much more inherently smooth running design than a 90 degree V6. Compare today's 3.7L Duratec (60 deg) to the old 3.8L Essex (90 deg). Even the 4.0L Cologne V6 (60 deg) was smoother than the 3.8L. An inline 6 is also a smoother, better balanced design than an inline 4. Either a 2.5L inline 6 or 60 deg V6 would be a smoother running engine than a 2.5L inline 4. It ultimately comes down to economics. Do you want a cheap to build (aka fewer parts) engine for an entry level economy car or do you want a smoother, more costly engine of the same displacement for a sportier car?
Old 9/9/12, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Don't get me wrong I love the Shelby but it will never be a true Corvette, Viper competitor.
A change in the rear suspension technology might help. Of course, it's a 4-seater rather than a 2-seater, so there is that difference.
Old 9/9/12, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
There is always a certain amount of fear about change, but Ford has been on a roll. I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

(and if anyone from Ford reads this, send photos, I'll keep them to myself, promise )
Old 9/10/12, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks
Check out this crazy **** V6 block. Two large parts nestled on inside the other.

There are also a number of other patent applications for exhaust manifolds INSIDE the cylinder head, etc.

Attachment 118458
Attachment 118459
Attachment 118460
Sort of looks like a variation of a bed-plate design except that where most bed plate designs have the block/bedplate split centered on the crank centerline, this one's split is a touch higher. Bedplate designs can make for a VERY rigid block and given that this one might be called upon to provide some chassis structural duties (like many motorcyle motors), as indicated by the mention of structural frames being incorporated, then the rigidity of a bed plate design would make sense.

My old Probe GT's Mazda designed K-series V6 was also a bedplate design and was very rigid and smooth (it was initially intended for a stillborn Mazda luxury division but when that failed to launch, a very premium design trickled down to rather pedestrian cars like the Probe GT, which essentially had a Lexus/Infiniti/Acura class motor at Ford pricing. Contrast that with the Iron Age V6 then chugging away in the Stang.

For a really interesting block nestled in a block design, look at BMW's standard I6 (non-turbo) where the block casting itself is two pieces, with an outer block being magnesium which is cast around an aluminum inner core.
Old 9/10/12, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by blksn8k
Actually, engine smoothness or lack thereof is just as dependent on architecture as it might be on displacement. For example, a 60 degree V6 is a much more inherently smooth running design than a 90 degree V6. Compare today's 3.7L Duratec (60 deg) to the old 3.8L Essex (90 deg). Even the 4.0L Cologne V6 (60 deg) was smoother than the 3.8L. An inline 6 is also a smoother, better balanced design than an inline 4. Either a 2.5L inline 6 or 60 deg V6 would be a smoother running engine than a 2.5L inline 4. It ultimately comes down to economics. Do you want a cheap to build (aka fewer parts) engine for an entry level economy car or do you want a smoother, more costly engine of the same displacement for a sportier car?
True all this. In terms of smoothness, the ever more common I4s are pretty awful with a terrible second order imbalance. Counterweighting, light reciprocating parts and soft engine mounts can quell, though not eliminate some of this which is why, barring the extra weight, cost and complexity of balance shafts, I4s tend to top out at around 2.3-2.5 liters.

V6s, too, are not perfectly balance, though 60 degree sixes are much better than 90 degree designs (sans balance shafts). Even the 60 degree designs start getting a bit less than refined much above 3.5 liters without smothering them in pillowy engine mounts and sound insulation.

I6s have perfect primary and secondary balance and thus, can be electric-motor smooth regardless of displacement (so long at the long crank is rigid with no weird harmonics). V12s are basically two I6's sharing a crank and too, are creamy smooth regardless of size or even cylinder bank angle (though increments of 60 degrees will give an even firing order).

I tend to like smaller motors with more cylinders as while they might not be as economical or cheap as a lesser cylinder count design, I like the qualitative aspects more than just the raw numbers, factoring in such things as smoothness and what music it makes. Sure, you can pressurize some four banger to make hero raw numbers, but it will never feel nor sound as good as a nice 6 or 8 cylinder.
Old 9/10/12, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
True all this. In terms of smoothness, the ever more common I4s are pretty awful with a terrible second order imbalance. Counterweighting, light reciprocating parts and soft engine mounts can quell, though not eliminate some of this which is why, barring the extra weight, cost and complexity of balance shafts, I4s tend to top out at around 2.3-2.5 liters.

V6s, too, are not perfectly balance, though 60 degree sixes are much better than 90 degree designs (sans balance shafts). Even the 60 degree designs start getting a bit less than refined much above 3.5 liters without smothering them in pillowy engine mounts and sound insulation.

I6s have perfect primary and secondary balance and thus, can be electric-motor smooth regardless of displacement (so long at the long crank is rigid with no weird harmonics). V12s are basically two I6's sharing a crank and too, are creamy smooth regardless of size or even cylinder bank angle (though increments of 60 degrees will give an even firing order).

I tend to like smaller motors with more cylinders as while they might not be as economical or cheap as a lesser cylinder count design, I like the qualitative aspects more than just the raw numbers, factoring in such things as smoothness and what music it makes. Sure, you can pressurize some four banger to make hero raw numbers, but it will never feel nor sound as good as a nice 6 or 8 cylinder.

This..nailed it.

My brother just bought a new 2012 BMW 328i with the 2.0L Twin Turbo, first off the car is quite smooth and it is amazing on the power delivery. Its just the sound isn't near as nice as the I6 it replaced nor is it as smooth. However, fuel efficiency is really pushing all manufacturers into this camp of smaller motors that are being force fed.

Dave
Old 9/10/12, 05:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm looking forward to the change. I can't think of any Mustang platform the I didn't like. The fox-body Mustangs, one of the must successful platforms, looked nothing like the 1st generation Mustangs. Change is good.

I've owned 4 Mustangs so far & number 5 is on the way. And if the new model turns out to be as spectacular as the 2005 was at the time, I may have to get Mustang #6.
Old 9/10/12, 06:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am also looking forward to the 2015. Sounds like it will at least have a state of the art paint job.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/...x/-/index.html

IMHO Ford has been on a roll and I can't see them dropping the ball on such an important milestone.

We've owned a 2012 Focus SE hatch for the past year and it's been an awesome car. Great handling/steering with a compliant ride and we live in Metro Detroit with the worse roads I have come across.

If the 2015 Mustang handles and absorbs the road imperfections like the Focus, I am all for I.R.S.
Old 9/10/12, 09:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm personally not too worried about it. I feel the Mustang has been attractive for a long time now. If I don't like the look of the 2015 car i'm sure there will be plenty of left over 2014s just like in 04,09,12... I just hope they cool it on the rising MSRP.

I think it is key that the GT model still be available at the low 30k mark. Also the GT500 is getting dangerously close to true sport car prices. Don't get me wrong I love the Shelby but it will never be a true Corvette, Viper competitor.
+1 on all this, especially the price stuff...personally I think 30 is too much for a base V8, I think for Mustang to ever really sell in big numbers, it needs to offer a base V8 in the average working guys budget.
Old 9/11/12, 12:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Now that Ford will build the Focus at the Mustang plant, I can hope some Mustang engineers will find a way to put the 5.O in a Focus.
Old 9/11/12, 02:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Now that Ford will build the Focus at the Mustang plant, I can hope some Mustang engineers will find a way to put the 5.O in a Focus.
You mean the Fusion

While a nice dream, I doubt the Coyote would fit in the Fusion's engine bay even if you could make it work for a FWD platform.
Old 9/11/12, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Question

I certainly meant Fusion, my bad. I do not know what the engine bay of a Fusion looks like. Is it smaller than the Mustangs ? I would think Ford would want to challenge the new V8 powered Chevy sedan.
Old 9/11/12, 01:06 PM
Cobra R Member

I certainly meant Fusion, my bad. I do not know what the engine bay of a Fusion looks like. Is it smaller than the Mustangs ? I would think Ford would want to challenge the new V8 powered Chevy sedan.
Ford hasn't challenged GM in this area for a long time. I think the last effort was the 2003-04 mercury marauder, as cool as v8 sedans are they simply are not worth the effort to produce in most cases. Look at the Pontiac g8, great car yet nobody bought one. I have a feeling that the SS sedan will have a similar fate. It seems the charger is the only one that sells in significant numbers.
Old 9/11/12, 10:41 PM
GT Member

I would think Ford would want to challenge the new V8 powered Chevy sedan.
They can't do this with a Fusion.
Old 9/11/12, 11:13 PM
Cobra Member

Question

Why not ?
Old 9/11/12, 11:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not ?
The Chevy SS will be 4-door muscle car with a longitudinal V8 powering the rear wheels. The Fusion will only ever be a transverse V6 powering either the front or all wheels.

Sure, around a track times might be similar, but the two will always be very different in terms of character.

That's why many would love to see the Australian Falcon imported (no, it's not going to happen).
Old 9/12/12, 04:46 AM
Cobra R Member

The new 2013 fusion won't even offer a v6 anymore LOL. They will have an optional Turbo 4
Old 9/12/12, 06:31 AM
GT Member

Article "Will European sales plan kill the Ford Mustang as we know it?"

Here's the entire article (author not credited):

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

"In any event, it won’t be long before we find out. The first Mustang made its debut at the 1964 World’s Fair New York on April 17th, which just happens to be one of the dates set for press previews at the 2014 New York Auto Show"

Do we believe this will be the "official" unveiling of the car? Seems to far off in the future too fit the production of the 2015MY. Could it be a miss print?

Anyone know of or how an idea how the timeline might go?
Old 9/12/12, 09:31 AM

Probably depends on how "you know it."

For those who narrowly see the Mustang as a latter day muscle car -- all about motor, acceleration and flash -- then yes, it will be a big change. However, that ideation of the Mustang is a much later one, starting with the big blocks of '67, dying with the Mustang II and being resurrected with the 5.0 GT of '82 when the Mustang was then -- with its healthy V8, RWD and affordable price -- one of the few contemporary equivalents to an actual muscle car of the '60's.

However, for those who see the Mustang in a light more true to its roots, "as a small, nimble vehicle aimed to compete with the European sports cars of the 1960’s," then no, it will more firmly embrace its distinctive pony car identity and heritage than perhaps any Mustang since the first generation. The muscle-car V8 and acceleration will still be available, but one might have to tolerate dynamic excellence and an overlay of modern day refinement too.

Make no mistake though; it will most definitely be unmistakable as a Mustang.
Old 9/12/12, 09:41 AM

Ford hasn't challenged GM in this area for a long time. I think the last effort was the 2003-04 mercury marauder, as cool as v8 sedans are they simply are not worth the effort to produce in most cases. Look at the Pontiac g8, great car yet nobody bought one. I have a feeling that the SS sedan will have a similar fate. It seems the charger is the only one that sells in significant numbers.
I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the Pontiac G8 experience as that excellent car was introduced at perhaps the absolute worst time possible (soaring gas prices, crashing economy) with a mediocre marketing campaign and the spectre of Pontiac's possible demise looming on the horizon. Today, used G8's, exspecially the GTs and hot GXPs, are very popular in the used car market.

In contrast to the G8's unique and sad history, the G8 clone, i.e., the Chevy SS is being introduced on far more hospitable times and I think that cars underlying excellence will have the opportunity to shine through and sell well. Perhaps this will give Ford the confidence to bring out its own RWD V8 performance family sedan based off the 2015 Stang's platform. Perhaps, like the G8 and SS, it will basically be an Aussie and Yank model.

I, for one, as a new family man, would absolutely love such a car to haul butt, haul groceries and haul around the baby rather than be consigned to some FWD rolling appliance.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Articles