2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Articles

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/12, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
The new 2013 fusion won't even offer a v6 anymore LOL. They will have an optional Turbo 4
Hopefully they'll come out with an Egoboost 3.5 ST/SHO version, likely with AWD, to create a working man's Audi S4. I haven't heard any rumors to that effect, but dayum, that would be a sweet car. The large Taurus SHO already has the mechanical goodies for the most part that could hopefully be readily adapted to the smaller, lighter Fusion to make a real rocket.
Old 9/12/12, 10:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb

Hopefully they'll come out with an Egoboost 3.5 ST/SHO version, likely with AWD, to create a working man's Audi S4
Put me first in line. I need a serious EgoBoost.
Old 9/12/12, 11:27 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Ford hasn't challenged GM in this area for a long time. I think the last effort was the 2003-04 mercury marauder, as cool as v8 sedans are they simply are not worth the effort to produce in most cases. Look at the Pontiac g8, great car yet nobody bought one. I have a feeling that the SS sedan will have a similar fate. It seems the charger is the only one that sells in significant numbers.
When I traded my 2005 Gt for a Pontiac G8 I said to myself, "If only Ford had a sporty 4 door rear wheel drive car with a V8... something for the young family man who loves cars". It just seemed to make sense to me with the demise of the Crown Vic and all. Hopefully Ford corrects this error and develops an alternative based on the nextstang. Probably a long shot but it could also be sold as police interceptor.

On a side note, it's unfortunate that the G8 was a victim of bad timing. It really is a great car and it could serve as a great template for a blue oval version.
Old 9/12/12, 02:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Don't get me wrong I like rwd sport sedans as much as the next guy. The problem is that there isn't a huge market for these cars. If Ford is to make a rwd sedan it should be badged as a Lincoln. Love it or hate it Ford is unlikely to take a risk on a platform that isn't a huge success.
Old 9/12/12, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stupid article.
Old 9/12/12, 08:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Patio218

When I traded my 2005 Gt for a Pontiac G8 I said to myself, "If only Ford had a sporty 4 door rear wheel drive car with a V8... something for the young family man who loves cars". It just seemed to make sense to me with the demise of the Crown Vic and all. Hopefully Ford corrects this error and develops an alternative based on the nextstang. Probably a long shot but it could also be sold as police interceptor.

On a side note, it's unfortunate that the G8 was a victim of bad timing. It really is a great car and it could serve as a great template for a blue oval version.
I was looking at 2010 GTs when they came out, and almost got a G8 also. I wish they offered the GT with stick, without having to go up to the GXP...
Old 9/12/12, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Probably depends on how "you know it."

For those who narrowly see the Mustang as a latter day muscle car -- all about motor, acceleration and flash -- then yes, it will be a big change. However, that ideation of the Mustang is a much later one, starting with the big blocks of '67, dying with the Mustang II and being resurrected with the 5.0 GT of '82 when the Mustang was then -- with its healthy V8, RWD and affordable price -- one of the few contemporary equivalents to an actual muscle car of the '60's.

However, for those who see the Mustang in a light more true to its roots, "as a small, nimble vehicle aimed to compete with the European sports cars of the 1960’s," then no, it will more firmly embrace its distinctive pony car identity and heritage than perhaps any Mustang since the first generation. The muscle-car V8 and acceleration will still be available, but one might have to tolerate dynamic excellence and an overlay of modern day refinement too.

Make no mistake though; it will most definitely be unmistakable as a Mustang.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel.
Old 9/12/12, 11:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hopefully they'll come out with an Egoboost 3.5 ST/SHO version, likely with AWD, to create a working man's Audi S4. I haven't heard any rumors to that effect, but dayum, that would be a sweet car. The large Taurus SHO already has the mechanical goodies for the most part that could hopefully be readily adapted to the smaller, lighter Fusion to make a real rocket.
agree 100% i had an 07 fusion and was hoping they would build one... got a mustang in between... finally got tired of waiting and got the real thing!

I think there could be a market for a rear/AWD sedan they could adopt off the mustang platform, whether it be a ford or lincoln. considering the tremendous improvements in interior quality and tech to compete with the germans/japanese if they kept american character with a v8 option. i think a working mans AMG would suit ford more than a working mans S4. I think the new fusions body would have looked awesome as a rear drive sedan. so aggressive i almost expect it to be more powerful than it is.
Old 9/13/12, 08:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the Pontiac G8 experience as that excellent car was introduced at perhaps the absolute worst time possible (soaring gas prices, crashing economy) with a mediocre marketing campaign and the spectre of Pontiac's possible demise looming on the horizon. Today, used G8's, exspecially the GTs and hot GXPs, are very popular in the used car market.

In contrast to the G8's unique and sad history, the G8 clone, i.e., the Chevy SS is being introduced on far more hospitable times and I think that cars underlying excellence will have the opportunity to shine through and sell well. Perhaps this will give Ford the confidence to bring out its own RWD V8 performance family sedan based off the 2015 Stang's platform. Perhaps, like the G8 and SS, it will basically be an Aussie and Yank model.

I, for one, as a new family man, would absolutely love such a car to haul butt, haul groceries and haul around the baby rather than be consigned to some FWD rolling appliance.
I think there was no association to the G8 like there is to the Charger. Terrible marketing, terrible time frame and Pontiac could not outrun its poor history over the two decades before it as a brand that was not a Buick nor a Chevrolet. I'd bet money if GM called the new SS a Chevelle, it would drum up sales like the Charger did.

Pontiac wanted to be the BMW of the west so they said. But they were broke and GM couldn't make the leap to G8ify the line which I thought a GM rival to BMW was kind of brilliant and then they all fell flat. Now Cadillac is attempting to fill that role.

All that said I don't see Ford trying the sedan market in that manner. Lincoln MAY try a RWD sedan but I am not holding my breath.
Old 9/13/12, 06:14 PM
GT Member

The G8 was a great car that was a victim of bad circumstances. I'm really looking forward to the new SS.

While I agree that non-premium domestic RWD (with optional AWD for the snow states and the Pacific Northwest) sedans don't sell in huge numbers, I'm willing to bet their numbers are a lot better than RWD coupes like the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, 370Z, and Genesis Coupe.

I'd like to see a legitimate Ford sport sedan based on the Mustang and a Lincoln counterpart with all the luxury and electronic goodies on it ala Cadillac. Lincoln really needs to do something, as they're currently more pathetic than any automobile brand I can think of, including Acura, which is really sad.
Old 9/13/12, 07:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turn3
Here's the entire article (author not credited):

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

"In any event, it won’t be long before we find out. The first Mustang made its debut at the 1964 World’s Fair New York on April 17th, which just happens to be one of the dates set for press previews at the 2014 New York Auto Show"

Do we believe this will be the "official" unveiling of the car? Seems to far off in the future too fit the production of the 2015MY. Could it be a miss print?

Anyone know of or how an idea how the timeline might go?
I would not underestimate the readiness of the next generation Mustang being delivered on April 17, 2014 since this is the 50th Anniversary and Ford has had plenty of time to work on it since the 2010's came out. It's easier to keep a lot of development secret if they are testing cars with modified S197 platforms while the final look is hidden behind closed doors until the right time for production prototypes to be rolling around. Remember it was within the past year we seen new Fusion production prototypes running around. Things will start unfolding in 2013.

I am also not worried at all about how European or American the next Mustang will be. Ford is not stupid.
Old 9/13/12, 10:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, I merged all of the assorted article threads into one. Please try to post any new articles in here going forward.
Old 9/14/12, 05:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
You realize the original Mustang was styled with elements of more expensive European cars of the same era....right?
Well in a round about way, here is Robert Cumberford talking about the design of the Mustang which was heavily influenced by Lincoln and Pontiac

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature..._ford_mustang/
Old 10/30/12, 05:55 AM
GT Member

I'm posting this just for FYI and not meant to stir the pot! Its a UK article talking about the 2014 Mustang with:

IRS, Retro Que's, and new engine lineup.

In re the Retro ques:

"Initially, the rumours suggested the retro Mustang design that's served the latest iteration so well since 2005 would die along with the current car. There was even talk of the Mustang replicating the look of the Ford Evos concept, whose slim grille and headlights influenced the snout of the new Mondeo and facelifted Fiesta.

Instead, there's been a change of heart at Ford. The Mustang will keep its retro cues, but make slight tweaks to the design"

It was published Oct 26th.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...-and-pictures/

Last edited by Turn3; 10/30/12 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Forgot the Link
Old 10/30/12, 07:49 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Retro has such a negative view right now.
It's not RETRO when that's what it SHOULD look like.
Back to its ROOTS.

I'm sure it'll change enough to be completely different than the current gens, but keeping with the styling cues we know/love.
Old 10/30/12, 08:18 AM
Cobra R Member

I think this will calm some nerves
Old 10/30/12, 05:02 PM
V6 Member

Hmmmm i call BS on this article and to me it just screams conjecture and nothing more. To say that Ford has recently had a changel of heart on the design is in no way possible when i can guarantee that the design is one of the first things they approve in a program, however not to say they can't do small little things later on in the program.

Also this contradicts of what company insiders have been telling WSJ that the mustang almost looks like a body double of the Evos. Besides J Mays himself said that the design has to move forward and signal a new era. I have no doubt that the car will definitely look mustang but strongly believe we'll be seeing some strong Evos influence. Also think, the Evos concept was done after the mustang design was signed off....
Old 11/3/12, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Eagle-1, I couldn't agree more. I myself think the Evo's styling is essentially the new stang.
Old 11/5/12, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Car and Driver Nov. issue

http://sg.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue...81892&prev=sub
Old 11/6/12, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Capri photoshop.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Articles