Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/15, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man why does ford want to drag this out so much it makes no sense. The time and labor they put into all the hoops they jump thru cost more than the parts for the repair.

I tried to get the area manager to just take my rear end and send it to the engineers to play with and put a new one in my car that went over like a lead balloon
Old 3/11/15, 11:28 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is because of their business model for warranty work. If they replace something that does not fix the problem, and Hotline did not approve it, Ford will not pay the dealership. So the dealerships are over a barrel, the owners are over a barrel, all so that Ford can control costs of their warranties.
Old 3/11/15, 11:39 AM
GT Member

And in cases like these raise the cost of the warranty repair astronomically. They have to pay the dealer for every hour of diagnosis work
Old 3/11/15, 11:59 AM
GT Member

But that is just it. The dealer is not doing diagnosis work. They are waiting on Hotline to recommend, while the vehicle sits and waits. So the cost is still low.
Old 3/11/15, 02:13 PM
GT Member

New NVH test complete. They are checking pinion angle and "something" on the pinion flange. My service adviser evidently knows about as much as I do about rear ends...
Old 3/11/15, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Rotf at least u got a call
Old 3/11/15, 03:45 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the updates. I'm just going to prepare you now, and I'm not trying to be negative Nancy but what they are doing is making sure it's all in spec. If it is, and they've checked everything then guess what you get the car back and there are no problems but when YOU drive it, there still may be a vibration that is "normal". Just letting you know before you turn your coupe into a convertible (get it, by blowing the roof off lol). Keep the updates coming, I enjoy reading them. Sounds like they are putting quite a lot of effort into resolving any issues.
Old 3/11/15, 06:00 PM
GT Member

If that happens, I will use my aftermarket warranty at a private shop. This will get fixed.
Old 3/12/15, 10:13 AM
GT Member

So I just called the selling dealer to tell them I was not happy about paying for a vehicle that they sold me a month ago that has problems. I spoke with someone named Kayla, who was instructed to call me by the used car manager, and she said she was going to speak with Leon (Ford Customer Service) to speed up the process. She used a term (akin to fast tracking but something different) where she said it would be prioritized because I just bought the vehicle. I am skeptical, but she sounded sincere enough over the phone.

Her term for how long my vehicle was in service was ridiculous. I then said to her that she had the exact same problem with a vehicle in her service department until it was moved to Tullahoma because they could not figure out the problem (Kelty). She said it was due to parts being on national back order.

So... Why the heck does the selling dealer care how fast it gets fixed? Are they somehow accountable if a buy back happens? Do I smell leverage?
Old 3/12/15, 10:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by farsidejunky
So I just called the selling dealer to tell them I was not happy about paying for a vehicle that they sold me a month ago that has problems. I spoke with someone named Kayla, who was instructed to call me by the used car manager, and she said she was going to speak with Leon (Ford Customer Service) to speed up the process. She used a term (akin to fast tracking but something different) where she said it would be prioritized because I just bought the vehicle. I am skeptical, but she sounded sincere enough over the phone.

Her term for how long my vehicle was in service was ridiculous. I then said to her that she had the exact same problem with a vehicle in her service department until it was moved to Tullahoma because they could not figure out the problem (Kelty). She said it was due to parts being on national back order.

So... Why the heck does the selling dealer care how fast it gets fixed? Are they somehow accountable if a buy back happens? Do I smell leverage?
Yes if there is a buyback they have to refund your money. since Ford already was paid by the original owner for the car the profit from this sale went to Ford of Murfreesboro..... Maybe I should call my selling dealer
Old 3/12/15, 10:27 AM
GT Member

I would.

Kayla also said she had spoken to an engineer about this problem and it is something they know about but do not have an answer for.

I still don't see how the selling dealer suffers if there's a buyback. They clearly act like they have the most to lose based on talking to them. How exactly does that work?

Last edited by farsidejunky; 3/12/15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 3/12/15, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Well Tullahoma has a set of gears, pinion flange, and a complete bearing kit on order for my rear end. The tech there said two years ago they had a very similar issue wit hteh F150s and it ended up being the axle housing was the problem.

and BTW I told them about the mirror vibrating at Tullahoma and he said the tech was amazed you couldn't even make out what kind of car was behind you so they are getting a new one for it as well as they noticed my passenger pony projector was not looking so good so they ordered one for it. I hadnt even mentioned the pony projector...

Last edited by keltymd; 3/12/15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 3/12/15, 10:56 AM
GT Member

Read this guys F150 vibration issue thread about Ford Of Murfreesboro. I guess it wasn't just me

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...9188&view=next
Old 3/12/15, 11:26 AM
GT Member

That is great news! However, if the housing was the problem in that Ford F 150, why aren't they just ordering a whole new assembly or a new housing with the gears and bearings?

Also, why were they able to skip over all the other preceding steps? I thought they had to start from scratch? And are the parts on back order?

Last edited by farsidejunky; 3/12/15 at 11:49 AM.
Old 3/12/15, 11:58 AM
GT Member

They have to do what ford tells them I guess they were able to transfer the case? Ford didn't say get a new rear end they said new gears and bearing. The f150 used a different 8.8 housing than ours use so I guess engineering will have to give up eventually to say its the issue. After ford of mboro I am just happy to see some form of progress
Old 3/12/15, 12:07 PM
GT Member

So Hotline instructed them to replace bearings and ring/pinion?
Old 3/12/15, 12:13 PM
GT Member

Yes. Honestly I think because this is a small dealer they are not as busy and care a little more about the customer. I don't think Ford of Murfreesboro was sending the information to ford quickly so it was getting the back burner treatment

Last edited by keltymd; 3/12/15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 3/12/15, 12:14 PM
GT Member

They have also been instructed by the area engineer to keep him updated and to call him to come in and look if needed
Old 3/12/15, 03:10 PM
GT Member

they never took the cover off the differential. Ford engineering said do a full rebuild bearings, shims, gears. The bad news........... 373 gears are on back order but they are trying to do an emergency order to get some.
Old 3/12/15, 03:30 PM
GT Member

is there any difference between OEM a 3.73? If there is, why not pay the difference see if you couldn't get a little faster and have a higher quality gear set?

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds