Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/15, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was funny the first dealer road force balanced my tires and it made no difference. Got the rear end fixed and had a bit of a vibration from the tires. Took it to discount tire and had thrm do a standard balance. Guess what if fixed the tire vibration issue. IMHO road force balance is the next scam they can charge more for
Old 4/9/15, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by keltymd
It was funny the first dealer road force balanced my tires and it made no difference. Got the rear end fixed and had a bit of a vibration from the tires. Took it to discount tire and had thrm do a standard balance. Guess what if fixed the tire vibration issue. IMHO road force balance is the next scam they can charge more for
Well.. I had them road force balance my tires... They said that the back drivers side was off 4.5 oz. Went for a ride and it fixed the vibration. Thing of it is he didnt even charge me. He said I was the first new mustang that rolled into his place so it was on the house.
Old 4/9/15, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, Kelty. This may get muddy.

Revs/Mile x (Speed/60) x Gear Ratio = Driveline RPM

I am trying to make sure I hit the right speeds to make a comparison of driveline RPM's from a 3.73 car to a 3.31 car. The vibration happens from 55 - 75. So...

Lower Speed Range
740.4 x (X/60) x 3.31 = 2295
2450.724X = 137700
X = 56 MPH (Rounded Down)

Higher Speed Range
740.4 x (X/60) x 3.31 = 3460
2450.724X = 207600
X = 85 MPH (Rounded Up)

So theoretically, if I test drive a 3.31 car and thoroughly test it in speed ranges from 56-85 MPH, and it does not vibrate, I have (for now) avoided the same problem, correct?
Old 4/9/15, 07:10 PM
GT Member

The dealer called me and left a message today saying that it was not clear of the status of the emergency fulfillment of the order, and that he saw three units would be available, but could not tell if one would come to me or not.

Leon was MIA today.

There is a nice 3.31 Race Red coupe with the 401A package just south of Memphis... And that shiny, red buy-back button is sooooooo tempting right now...
Old 4/9/15, 07:31 PM
GT Member

you are in about the right range but I will say when mine first started tthe vibration issue it happened at 79 and above. me I would take it as fast as you feel comfortable going to make sure.
Old 4/9/15, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Like willie Nelson said...I've got a new car, and it drives just like a dream

The car is fixed, as in perfect...smooth as glass up to those highway speeds

So here's a recap

Oil change and tire rotation, horrible vibration at 70 + not an issue previously

balancing of tires, no change

Replace all four ties, no change

New factory driveshaft, no change

Road force balance, no change

You know what happened? You want to know? You sure? You sitting down?

You know the panel under the front bumper? You know the panel behind that? Both pieces where damaged when the oil change was done. They where broken at a few mounting points, resulting in the wind catching them, causing the entire car to shake.

So, check those deflectors....amazing how such a small thing can cause such huge issues. Glad it's fixed, sure is a nice car...all this craziness had me looking at 2015 models...naaahh
Old 4/9/15, 07:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Earlsays
Like willie Nelson said...I've got a new car, and it drives just like a dream

The car is fixed, as in perfect...smooth as glass up to those highway speeds

So here's a recap

Oil change and tire rotation, horrible vibration at 70 + not an issue previously

balancing of tires, no change

Replace all four ties, no change

New factory driveshaft, no change

Road force balance, no change

You know what happened? You want to know? You sure? You sitting down?

You know the panel under the front bumper? You know the panel behind that? Both pieces where damaged when the oil change was done. They where broken at a few mounting points, resulting in the wind catching them, causing the entire car to shake.

So, check those deflectors....amazing how such a small thing can cause such huge issues. Glad it's fixed, sure is a nice car...all this craziness had me looking at 2015 models...naaahh
W... T... F...

Who found it? Also, can you link a diagram or picture of some sort?
Old 4/9/15, 07:57 PM
GT Member

I could be so lucky lol
Old 4/9/15, 08:40 PM
GT Member

I don't think it will solve my problem either. Mine is worse under deceleration. Who knows. It would be worth a look.
Old 4/10/15, 02:35 PM
GT Member

I spoke to Leon who was out sick yesterday. There are three transmissions at the supplier about to ship to the distributor. He is trying to intercept one and ship directly to the dealer. If he is unable to do that, he will have to catch them at the distributor, and they will not arrive there until Apr 22nd. Even if he manages to catch one prior to shipping from the supplier, they may all be under the same status as me, which is considered an emergency fill. We will not know about catching one and it being available likely until Monday afternoon. One delay after another...

So just to be certain, I went to the dealership and checked the panels and plates underneath and behind the front of the car. Nothing was loose. I got funny looks from people until someone asked me what I was doing there... lol

While at the dealership, I spoke to the technician, who was with the engineer during the diagnosis. According to him, they raised the car up on the lift and watched the driveshaft. Evidently ALL of the vibration was coming from the transmission end. They replaced the driveshaft and it did exactly the same thing.

They then took it for a test drive with the vibration equipment. Initially, they did vibration tests with the sensors placed in various positions in the cabin of the car. On a whim, the engineer attached the sensor to the shifter shaft. Evidently vibration levels were off the charts.

These two things led them to believe it was a transmission problem. Now if I can just get one...
Old 4/10/15, 02:53 PM
GT Member

You gonna wait or let them have it back? Funny they are on back order it's the same tranny as in the 2015s
Old 4/10/15, 03:29 PM
GT Member

I am test driving a 2014 and 2015 this weekend if it works out like I intend.

And funny, but I did not think of it being the same tranny.

Calling Leon...again.
Old 4/11/15, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Well I am happy to report and you all are glad you don't have to hear me complain about it anymore, 98% of my vibrations are gone! I am beyond happy about this as it's not been this good in probably 3 years. The shop I went to showed me the problem. My wheel was not perfect. In fact it was off by quite a bit. I have no idea why nobody figured this out before. This is the 4th shop that's seen my car for tire/balance issues. One was Ford. That was the last place it was at. My buddy did the balance. He is a mechanic but the tire shop today said it was pretty far off. Anyways he rotated the tire 180deg and put honestly what I though was a lot of weights on it but he let me test drive it before I paid and was going to make more adjustments. I couldn't believe it. Nearly perfectly smooth. I am seriously blown away and nearly hugged the guy lol. He was a person who sincerly listened and cared. Wouldn't you know it the American Racing "chinese" wheels weren't perfectly round but were able to be balanced. IF you have aftermarket wheels I suggest you pay high attention to that before you look at a driveshaft vibration/tranny vibration if there is a shimmy in your car. Oh and the best part is the tire tech had a bright yellow c6 corvette and wore a leather super official Vette jacket lol

Last edited by choate; 4/11/15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 4/13/15, 07:59 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by choate
Well I am happy to report and you all are glad you don't have to hear me complain about it anymore, 98% of my vibrations are gone! I am beyond happy about this as it's not been this good in probably 3 years. The shop I went to showed me the problem. My wheel was not perfect. In fact it was off by quite a bit. I have no idea why nobody figured this out before. This is the 4th shop that's seen my car for tire/balance issues. One was Ford. That was the last place it was at. My buddy did the balance. He is a mechanic but the tire shop today said it was pretty far off. Anyways he rotated the tire 180deg and put honestly what I though was a lot of weights on it but he let me test drive it before I paid and was going to make more adjustments. I couldn't believe it. Nearly perfectly smooth. I am seriously blown away and nearly hugged the guy lol. He was a person who sincerly listened and cared. Wouldn't you know it the American Racing "chinese" wheels weren't perfectly round but were able to be balanced. IF you have aftermarket wheels I suggest you pay high attention to that before you look at a driveshaft vibration/tranny vibration if there is a shimmy in your car. Oh and the best part is the tire tech had a bright yellow c6 corvette and wore a leather super official Vette jacket lol
Awesome! Thank you for the update, choate!

Deysha
Old 4/14/15, 06:50 AM
GT Member

Deysha, PM sent. Unable to reach Leon yesterday or this morning.
Old 4/14/15, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by farsidejunky
Deysha, PM sent. Unable to reach Leon yesterday or this morning.
I see he's on top of things, farsidejunky. Thanks!

Deysha
Old 4/14/15, 03:32 PM
GT Member

Thank you, Deysha, but while Leon is on top of things that are in his control, he has zero answers from the Parts Assistance Center or the Parts Subject Matter Expert. I was very clear that today was my deadline to have a status on the back-ordered transmission. That did not happen.

As such, I have instructed Leon to initiate the buy back process starting today.

To date, the servicing dealer has had possession of the vehicle for 52 days, and I have only owned it 73 days; very disappointing...

Last edited by farsidejunky; 4/14/15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 4/15/15, 06:15 AM
V6 Member

Thank you, Deysha, but while Leon is on top of things that are in his control, he has zero answers from the Parts Assistance Center or the Parts Subject Matter Expert. I was very clear that today was my deadline to have a status on the back-ordered transmission. That did not happen.

As such, I have instructed Leon to initiate the buy back process starting today.

To date, the servicing dealer has had possession of the vehicle for 52 days, and I have only owned it 73 days; very disappointing...
SMH ... Sorry Man!
Old 4/15/15, 06:54 AM

You’re welcome, farsidejunky. He will continue to work with you to the best of his ability.

Deysha
Old 4/15/15, 07:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService
You’re welcome, farsidejunky. He will continue to work with you to the best of his ability.

Deysha
I know he will, Deysha, as well as you.

I do not hold either of you responsible for this. However, I do hold Ford responsible. The Hotline system is terrible. The ability to get an answer from the dealership has been questionable, unless I speak to the technician, who has been incredibly sharp and forthright. And lastly, the ability to obtain information seems to be much more difficult than it needs to be for both myself and Leon.

From a strategic standpoint at Ford corporate, I would guess the system works incredibly well minus the customer, which is telling in and of itself.

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds