Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installed new front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/11, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could probably leave the rear seat bottom in place, but it's a close fit and since it was so easy to take out, I then didn't need to worry about scratching it or worse!
Old 5/25/11, 07:43 PM

By the way, are these speakers under the rear seat bottom? or what are they? They have wires going to them, so what do they do?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by F Bullit; 5/25/11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering what the hell those things were myself when I did my rears. I think they are plugs of some kind.

those aren't speakers.
Originally Posted by F Bullit
By the way, are these speakers under the rear seat bottom? or what are they?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 5/25/11, 10:16 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Those covers are the access points to the fuel pumps/fuel tank. F. Bullit--Thanks for posting the pics and the write up.
Old 5/26/11, 06:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by smike308
Those covers are the access points to the fuel pumps/fuel tank. F. Bullit--Thanks for posting the pics and the write up.

Bingo! Had to remove the Driver's side to install the GT500 pumps for the Whipple.
Old 5/26/11, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 2010BLKSTANG
Hey guys, new here but have been monitoring for a few days. I'm quite interested in replacing the front speakers. Based on what most of you have been stating, I have really been leaning towards Polks. However, I once listened to some Focals and thought they sounded amazing. Looking online, I found some but they are a little more than double the price. You guys think it's worth the money? What kind of harness do I use and where can I get it?

Focal orca 570 CA1
Polk DB571
I found the Focals at a local shop and gave them a listen. I didn't really notice any difference between them and the JL Audio; they both seemed to be bass heavy when the EQ on the test deck was set flat. But I'm older and tend to like brighter speakers. The Infinity Kappas seemed ear bleeding bright until I warmed up to them. I'm hoping the polk dxi's are a little on the bright side (couldn't find them carried by anyone) otherwise I'll probably swap them for Kappas.
Old 5/26/11, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

if you like the bright side id stick with kappas too.

i prefer the tweeter in the polks over kappas
Old 5/26/11, 11:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by allinmyhead

I found the Focals at a local shop and gave them a listen. I didn't really notice any difference between them and the JL Audio; they both seemed to be bass heavy when the EQ on the test deck was set flat. But I'm older and tend to like brighter speakers. The Infinity Kappas seemed ear bleeding bright until I warmed up to them. I'm hoping the polk dxi's are a little on the bright side (couldn't find them carried by anyone) otherwise I'll probably swap them for Kappas.
Thanks for the info! I'm a little older as well and certainly don't like to rattle the car with bass. I still love listening to music loud though and don't like the it to be to bright. I certainly heard a difference in the Focal/Polk matchup, but not enough for the money. Even though everybody on here says it's easy, I'm still worried about taking my door off. Lol
Old 5/26/11, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Picked up a $45 close out special of Boston acoustic s85's for my front doors should get them in next week.
Old 5/27/11, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

Installed new Polk DB571's yesterday. Pulling the doors off and installing took a total of about an hour. Many thanks to the instructions on this forum!! I would say the sound is a noticeable improvement. Oh and what you all said about the weight of the stock speakers.....omg those things were like weighted with balsa wood,lol.
Old 5/28/11, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

The stock speakers are a joke. Balsa wood great word lol

Finished my install. Love the sound of the polks mm571. Sound incredibly clear and full.

I'm incredibly impressed on how ford designed the doors. Comes off in a breeze and super easy

Last edited by way2qk4u2c; 5/28/11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 6/1/11, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I've got a pair of the JL audio C2 570x's coming at the end of the week.

Based on speaker installs in previous cars, by FAR the most time consuming work is sound deadening so I've already taken care of that with some of the B-Quiet extreme sound deadening

Did this to each door.

and inside the doors.

And some of the trunk.

The sound deadening alone made a pretty big difference in cutting down on road noise. There seems to be a lot of noise now coming from down under the shifter. I've got a white steeda cueball shift **** also on the way so when i install that, I'll take the time to pop the center console off and apply sound deadening material on as much bare metal as i can and on the inside of the console as well.

after that, under the back seats then after that, in the trunk. When I installed the shocks/struts/springs, I saw that there is a LOT of area that can be covered in the trunk.

Old 6/1/11, 04:43 PM

Got my Polk DXi571s installed today; bought them based on forum recommendations for the db570 and from crutchfield. Not terribly impressive; much much better than stock but still not bright enough for my ears.

Probably will switch out for infinity kappas sometime this summer.

Thanks F Bullit for picks on the convertible install! Rears were done in less than 30min with me taking my time. Strange note, I noticed that under your rear seat is painted body color, mine was primer.
Old 6/2/11, 06:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by allinmyhead
Got my Polk DXi571s installed today; bought them based on forum recommendations for the db570 and from crutchfield. Not terribly impressive; much much better than stock but still not bright enough for my ears.

Probably will switch out for infinity kappas sometime this summer.

Thanks F Bullit for picks on the convertible install! Rears were done in less than 30min with me taking my time. Strange note, I noticed that under your rear seat is painted body color, mine was primer.
I Agee with what you said about the Polk's. I've had mine in for about a week now. while certainly better than stock, I'm thinking I should have gone with Alpine or Pioneer. The Polks sound pretty good with the windows up, but when there is some wind the polks seem to distort a lot at louder volumes. I'm sure a decent amp would improve this as well.
Old 6/2/11, 06:46 PM

I had Focal Polyglass 570CV1 2-Way 5" x 7" Coaxial Speakers and an Alpine PDX.5 Amplifier installed in my Shelby in March. The speakers went right in with no modifications contrary to what was advertised on Crutchfield site. The McIntosh subs were a slightly different issue as they are about a 1/4" to deep. The guys that did the work tilted the covers so from the top it appears to fit perfectly. Same head unit. Much better sound.
Old 6/3/11, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

yeah, an aftermarket amp is imperative if you want your components to really sing. You can easily get a 4 channel amp used on the cheap to make your 6x8's go way louder. What do those polks handle, like 50 RMS? They're probably getting like 6 RMS now off the factory amp/radio.

Originally Posted by 2010BLKSTANG
I'm sure a decent amp would improve this as well.
Old 6/5/11, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I just did Kappas front and rear. I thunk they sound great. I used double sided foam tape for the crossover. We'll see. I was surprised to see so much more water protection and sound deadening on my '12 gt vs. My brothers '11 v6.
Old 6/6/11, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by wonger
I just did Kappas front and rear. I thunk they sound great. I used double sided foam tape for the crossover. We'll see. I was surprised to see so much more water protection and sound deadening on my '12 gt vs. My brothers '11 v6.
Where did you mount the crossover?
Old 6/6/11, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

In the doors, it is at the 8:00 position with the leads coming out the top of the speaker. The tweeters rotate so you can aim them where you like. There are two small holes in the panel, and I mounted them just below them in a flat spot. I did use the metra connectors that came from crutchfield so I didnt have to cut the factory harness. One extra tywrap on the wires around the crossover and another piece of foam tape to prevent rattles. It really was pretty easy and they sort of fell into place. There is a path on the back of the crossover to route a tywrap through and hold the crossover in place.
On the decklid, they are towards each corner, again just mounted with the foam double sided tape.
Old 6/8/11, 06:50 PM

I tried to accept my Shaker 500 sound quality -- but just couldn't do it. So I figured I'd start at the easiest upgrade (door speakers) and work my way up from there.

There are probably several good choices for speakers...and much will be personal preference. I went with the Pioneer TS-D6802R 6x8/5x7. $79 / pr online including shipping -- and they sound MUCH better than factory. Much cleaner sound, and better balanced. However the factory set up the E.Q. of the Shaker 500 headunit, it works well with the frequency response of the Pioneers.

As mentioned, I was planning to do the system in stages, but frankly will probably stop with this upgrade, and will leave the 8" woofers and the pitiful rears as-is. I still can't believe Ford went so cheap with the stock Shaker500 door speakers.

Quick Reply: Installed new front speakers