Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installed new front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/13, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nocturnal'14
Is there a RH & LH spacer? Both the ones I got from ford say "RH UP" on them. I ordered two of the part number in the picture above

Or does that mean that on the LH side I put the "RH UP" Down?
One ends in AB, you ordered two for the same side. They are in fact different. I just replaced mine as well.

Also, I think we both have the same speakers. If you notch the bottom right of each adapter, the crossover wiring will pass through. Then it will fit on the adapter next to the white cable bundle perfectly. I used velcro to keep it in place. This is better than mounting it inside the door. (And less difficult)

Last edited by Six7One; 9/7/13 at 11:03 AM.
Old 9/8/13, 05:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks fir the heads up....I guess Ill have to wait a few more days to install these.

If anyone needs a right side adapter/spacer....let me know!!

Thx
Old 7/10/14, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but this seems like a better alternative to starting a whole new one on a topic thats already been answered and beaten to death:

I shopped at a local electronics store and ending up picking up some Kenwood KFC-P860C speakers. But at $220 a pair (they sell on commission) I am pretty upset. Oh well, buyers remorse.

I was thinking of putting those in the rear deck of my 14 GT Premium, and I'm curious about opinions on these speakers for the front :
Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Amazon.ca: Electronics Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Amazon.ca: Electronics

I've worked a lot with car audio in the past 10 years, but its never been with any really amazing brands. Always local canadian tire/walmart brands: Sony Xplode, Kenwood, JVC etc...

The reviews on these speakers make them seem amazing but my questions are: How will these sound without a tweeter?
Would I be better suited to just get a 3-way component speaker up front?
I already have bass covered for the trunk.

I listen to lots of bass heavy songs: Techno, rap, electronic, hard rock, and I will also listen to classical, early blues and jazz.

My goals are: Faithful music reproduction, with tight bass up front, and clear, crisp sounding audio.

I understand that a seperate tweeter and speaker combo is propbably the way to go, but i'm looking for ease of installation that I can do myself.

Price isnt really a concern, but I'd like to keep it under $300-350 for a really good pair.

I will also be keeping the stock head unit for now, and looking into getting a good 4 channel amp to push all 4 speakers, but, it will be getting its signal from speaker line level-outs, not RCA adapters for now.

I would also like to replace the 8" subwoofers in the doors, but it seems like the only direct fit replacement is the shelby kicker subs, and while crisp and cleaner sounding than the stockers, they don't have as much bass.

maybe I should save the cost, and skip those?

So, 6.5" speakers, OR 5x7/6x9's for the front?
Old 7/11/14, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but this seems like a better alternative to starting a whole new one on a topic thats already been answered and beaten to death:

I shopped at a local electronics store and ending up picking up some Kenwood KFC-P860C speakers. But at $220 a pair (they sell on commission) I am pretty upset. Oh well, buyers remorse.

I was thinking of putting those in the rear deck of my 14 GT Premium, and I'm curious about opinions on these speakers for the front :Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Amazon.ca: Electronics

I've worked a lot with car audio in the past 10 years, but its never been with any really amazing brands. Always local canadian tire/walmart brands: Sony Xplode, Kenwood, JVC etc...

The reviews on these speakers make them seem amazing but my questions are: How will these sound without a tweeter?
Would I be better suited to just get a 3-way component speaker up front?
I already have bass covered for the trunk.

I listen to lots of bass heavy songs: Techno, rap, electronic, hard rock, and I will also listen to classical, early blues and jazz.

My goals are: Faithful music reproduction, with tight bass up front, and clear, crisp sounding audio.

I understand that a seperate tweeter and speaker combo is propbably the way to go, but i'm looking for ease of installation that I can do myself.

Price isnt really a concern, but I'd like to keep it under $300-350 for a really good pair.

I will also be keeping the stock head unit for now, and looking into getting a good 4 channel amp to push all 4 speakers, but, it will be getting its signal from speaker line level-outs, not RCA adapters for now.

I would also like to replace the 8" subwoofers in the doors, but it seems like the only direct fit replacement is the shelby kicker subs, and while crisp and cleaner sounding than the stockers, they don't have as much bass.

maybe I should save the cost, and skip those?

So, 6.5" speakers, OR 5x7/6x9's for the front?
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Definitely go with a set of components(separate tweeter) up front. There are a lot of good sets out there. Since your budget is fairly high, look into Focal or CDT. Some of the best out there IMO. Also the higher end pioneers are very solid.

A solid set of front components, new door subs and an amp for it all will make an unbelievable difference. Especially with the type of music you listen to. In my old mustang I entirely removed the shaker 1000. Ran aftermarket speakers,door subs, a subwoofer in the trunk, amps, and a new head unit. On another planet compared to the shaker.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 7/11/14 at 12:49 PM.
Old 7/11/14, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Definitely go with a set of components(separate tweeter) up front. There are a lot of good sets out there. Since your budget is fairly high, look into Focal or CDT. Some of the best out there IMO. Also the higher end pioneers are very solid. A solid set of front components, new door subs and an amp for it all will make an unbelievable difference. Especially with the type of music you listen to. In my old mustang I entirely removed the shaker 1000. Ran aftermarket speakers,door subs, a subwoofer in the trunk, amps, and a new head unit. On another planet compared to the shaker.

First off, beautiful grabber blue and thanks for the advice.

I'm going to put the tweeters in the triangle piece where the power mirror switch is on both sides. It seems easier to put it there versus the A-pillar.

I'm thinking of going with Polk Audio components, but really it's just a name brand thing for me. I'm basing that choice mostly on reviews.
I could easily be swayed to another brand.
I know that each brand of speaker sounds different compared to other brands, even sounds different compared to other models of the same brand, so really I'll be looking at price and reviews.

So it seems like the smarter choice is to get a 4 channel amp and use that to power my door subs (which will probably be at 4 ohms each) and my speaker wired with the tweeter together for the remaining 2 channels.

The stock amp will power the rear speakers and my mono block will handle the subs in the trunk.

Does this sound like the proper way to wire everything?

I wouldn't be opposed to a 4 channel amp for the 2 fronts and rears and leaving the door subs alone, but it seems like most people say the rears aren't worth it.

Regards,
Joe
Old 7/12/14, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

First off, beautiful grabber blue and thanks for the advice.

I'm going to put the tweeters in the triangle piece where the power mirror switch is on both sides. It seems easier to put it there versus the A-pillar.

I'm thinking of going with Polk Audio components, but really it's just a name brand thing for me. I'm basing that choice mostly on reviews.
I could easily be swayed to another brand.
I know that each brand of speaker sounds different compared to other brands, even sounds different compared to other models of the same brand, so really I'll be looking at price and reviews.

So it seems like the smarter choice is to get a 4 channel amp and use that to power my door subs (which will probably be at 4 ohms each) and my speaker wired with the tweeter together for the remaining 2 channels.

The stock amp will power the rear speakers and my mono block will handle the subs in the trunk.

Does this sound like the proper way to wire everything?

I wouldn't be opposed to a 4 channel amp for the 2 fronts and rears and leaving the door subs alone, but it seems like most people say the rears aren't worth it.

Regards,
Joe
Thanks you, Your grabber blue looks great as well.

I would definitely say use the 4ch. to power the fronts and door subs. The rear channels are not of much importance in the overall sound. In my old mustang I pulled the rears all together and added an extra set of speakers in the kick panels up front. Didn't miss the rears at all.

Are you replacing the door subs as well, or leaving the stock ones in? As far as speakers go im sure the polks are pretty good. A lot of it is what sounds good to your ears. You usually do get what you pay for though.
Old 7/12/14, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Thanks you, Your grabber blue looks great as well. I would definitely say use the 4ch. to power the fronts and door subs. The rear channels are not of much importance in the overall sound. In my old mustang I pulled the rears all together and added an extra set of speakers in the kick panels up front. Didn't miss the rears at all. Are you replacing the door subs as well, or leaving the stock ones in? As far as speakers go im sure the polks are pretty good. A lot of it is what sounds good to your ears. You usually do get what you pay for though.
I'm looking at doing the least amount of modification that I can get away with.

1) drill the holes for the tweeters and hopefully don't mess that up.
2) never dealt with a crossover before, so I'll have to research and learn about that
3) I was looking at the kicker replacement subs mainly because they're directly replacement. People say there is less bump, but better volume and clarity. I wouldn't be opposed to another subwoofer 2 or 4 ohms, as long as it fit with minimal modification and added some clarity and bass!
4) I'm going to dynamat the doors.
Old 7/14/14, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm looking at doing the least amount of modification that I can get away with.

1) drill the holes for the tweeters and hopefully don't mess that up.
2) never dealt with a crossover before, so I'll have to research and learn about that
3) I was looking at the kicker replacement subs mainly because they're directly replacement. People say there is less bump, but better volume and clarity. I wouldn't be opposed to another subwoofer 2 or 4 ohms, as long as it fit with minimal modification and added some clarity and bass!
4) I'm going to dynamat the doors.
1. Just measure twice and cut once lol. I've seen a few on here where they moved the mirror adjustment switch to same panel as the window controls then put the tweeters in where the switch used to be. Looks pretty nice if you are willing to do that.

2. Crossovers are nothing crazy. Most will come with a diagram showing you where to put the wires. Hardest part is figuring out where to put the acutal unit. Ive seen some fit in the door panel with some Velcro. Or if they are too big, there is usually room in the kick panel area.

3. Ive heard the kickers are pretty good. Especially if you don't want any extra modding. With an aftermarket amp you should get some good thump and clarity. A trunk sub really depends on how much space you are willing to give up. Could try somthing like this: http://www.zenclosures.com/Mustang-S...angtype1ar.htm

4. That will do wonders for the sound and vibrations. Good call.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 7/14/14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 7/20/14, 01:12 PM
GT Member

Don't really know anything about aftermarket stereo systems in cars. I'm thinking down the road I want the Raxium GPS, Bluetooth, backup camera for my stang. Will this hook up to an aftermarket system in my car? Should I hold off from doing anything to the audio system until I can do all at once? (Stereo system and Raxium GPS). Thanks again guys! Don't forget I have a 14 GT Base.

-Paul
Old 7/24/14, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
Don't really know anything about aftermarket stereo systems in cars. I'm thinking down the road I want the Raxium GPS, Bluetooth, backup camera for my stang. Will this hook up to an aftermarket system in my car? Should I hold off from doing anything to the audio system until I can do all at once? (Stereo system and Raxium GPS). Thanks again guys! Don't forget I have a 14 GT Base.

-Paul
I think the Raxiom only works in cars with Sync so far. Do you have sync? Does your steering wheel have any audio controls on it? You might be better off doing an aftermarket head unit with GPS, bluetooth and backup camera functions built into that.
Old 7/24/14, 06:32 PM
GT Member

Yes I do. I have a base model GT with the 301a package which included the sync and the power seats.
Old 7/27/14, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
Yes I do. I have a base model GT with the 301a package which included the sync and the power seats.
Depending on how far you are going to go with the audio system upgrades I'd suggest going with a Maestro setup and either a Kenwood or Alpine system. From there you can go as far as you want adding amps, speakers, subs. More so than just what the Raxiom gives you (IMO). Here are some other threads to check out for more information. And there's more if you go through this area.

https://themustangsource.com/f803/ke...sh-kit-524857/

https://themustangsource.com/f803/20...update-528369/

https://themustangsource.com/f803/up...s-data-521961/