Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

'13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/14, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I have a wideband O2 controller. The one that you can add to the aeroforce interceptor (as well as the boost sensor). So you mean it would be possible to show those in the GT500 cluster with your black box?

Thanks,
LEXiiON
Old 3/4/14, 11:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry if this is blatantly obvious, I've searched through this thread at length but can't find a definite answer. If I'm working with a base '13 GT with the 301A equipment group, to upgrade to mycolor, the LCD, track apps and all that fun, is it a simple plug and play with the cluster and switches? Can someone direct me to a post number where this is discussed?
Old 3/4/14, 11:44 PM
GT Member

Well since you have the 13' you will need a premium cluster for the mycolor as well as as built programming via the dealer or buying your own VCM and for the track apps, I think you just need module programming and as built programming since I think your modules are the same since you have a 13'.

All done with the VCM
Old 3/5/14, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
I have a wideband O2 controller. The one that you can add to the aeroforce interceptor (as well as the boost sensor). So you mean it would be possible to show those in the GT500 cluster with your black box?

Thanks,
LEXiiON
Correct. We could show both boost and AFR.

-Matt
Old 3/5/14, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is awesome!!!! Now I need to get the GT500 cluster
Old 3/5/14, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

My VCM is going to be delivered today... yeahh!!

LEXiiON
Old 3/5/14, 11:13 AM
GT Member

My VCMII is out for delivery.
Old 3/5/14, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys can PM me if you have an software install issues ... Pretty sure there are some pieces of the puzzle missing .... ask ajpTurbo.
Old 3/5/14, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will check, once i am home. I need to do some PATS work Thanks for your offer to help. If i have some issues i will PM you.

LEXiiON
Old 3/5/14, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
If you press and hold the OK button on start up, you will enter the engineering test mode. Just cycle through the screens until you get to the digital speedometer.
So....It of course works to get the digital speedo in the middle, but takes a million button hits. It just makes me more frustrated because the screen is already in there!

Is there any chance that someone will create a program that could add a few screens to the Gauge options? I am sure if someone was in the know it would be a simple procedure, but I just don't know who you would ask...because I expect it would be a very specific programmer/with proper software. If that person exists, I would pay. I would also want a TPMS screen added, why the heck would you not give a tire pressure screen when you are obviously capturing the data! Its a sports car, that is useful info.
Old 3/5/14, 01:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Zandura99
So....It of course works to get the digital speedo in the middle, but takes a million button hits. It just makes me more frustrated because the screen is already in there!

Is there any chance that someone will create a program that could add a few screens to the Gauge options? I am sure if someone was in the know it would be a simple procedure, but I just don't know who you would ask...because I expect it would be a very specific programmer/with proper software. If that person exists, I would pay. I would also want a TPMS screen added, why the heck would you not give a tire pressure screen when you are obviously capturing the data! Its a sports car, that is useful info.
That will be another project ... 2015 Cluster swap into a 2011-2014 ...
Old 3/5/14, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its very possiable. Before I sold my cluster, I was heading down that path.

You have to have very special knowledge of where firmware is located in the MCU's, and how to disassemble it, then re implement it. Its not a easy task by far.

Or You could replace the current MCU with one of your own flavor, and write everything from scratch, but that would be awefully painful.

Why Ford limited it the way they did is beyond me... There is SOO much potential there.

-Matt
Old 3/5/14, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
That will be another project ... 2015 Cluster swap into a 2011-2014 ...
Challange accepted.

One thing I think Ford will never do is change the base protocols... at least I hope not.
Old 3/5/14, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Its very possiable. Before I sold my cluster, I was heading down that path.

You have to have very special knowledge of where firmware is located in the MCU's, and how to disassemble it, then re implement it. Its not a easy task by far.

Or You could replace the current MCU with one of your own flavor, and write everything from scratch, but that would be awefully painful.

Why Ford limited it the way they did is beyond me... There is SOO much potential there.

-Matt
yeah figured as much. It would be a marketable product though if someone came up with it. I was tempted to go the audio component route to get the TPMS and digital speedo, the kenwood head unit does it all but you are over a grand and a bunch of work.. . not to mention a non stock look to the audio/climate center which isn't my flavor. A few hundred bucks to load a new set of screens on your computer through the OBII... no brainer to me. I would pay in a heartbeat. Maybe someday someone with the knowledge will do it, I think there is money to be made there.
Old 3/5/14, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Challange accepted.

One thing I think Ford will never do is change the base protocols... at least I hope not.
I suspect that the 2015 cluster won't physically fit.
Old 3/5/14, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
yeah figured as much. It would be a marketable product though if someone came up with it. I was tempted to go the audio component route to get the TPMS and digital speedo, the kenwood head unit does it all but you are over a grand and a bunch of work.. . not to mention a non stock look to the audio/climate center which isn't my flavor. A few hundred bucks to load a new set of screens on your computer through the OBII... no brainer to me. I would pay in a heartbeat. Maybe someday someone with the knowledge will do it, I think there is money to be made there.
Considering how much work dmhines and zero (even me) have put into this so far, if you had to pay for the time put in, I think you'd be paying more than a few hundred bucks, unfortunately.
Old 3/5/14, 05:58 PM
GT Member

Where is zero with that firmware upload/download install tool for the vcm? The suspense is killing me lol
Old 3/5/14, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Jim and hines, do you guys have the black box? You use that to interface into the high or medium speed can bus?

How is that done exactly? I don't even know where the bus is..

You guys shouldn't tempt me lol...I really wanted a GT500 cluster but I figured there would be way to many incompatibility issues so I wanted to stick with the same engine family, I figured that would be my best shot since at the time of purchase this was a bit of a gamble and experiment...

I'd love the functional boost gauge of the GT500 but interfacing the boost signal seems like it could be a lot of work
Old 3/5/14, 06:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

HS Bus ... Look in old posts .. I have pictures of how I installed it ... There are several locations in the car to tap into .. I chose the restraint module in the center console.

Originally Posted by ajpturbo
Jim and hines, do you guys have the black box? You use that to interface into the high or medium speed can bus?

How is that done exactly? I don't even know where the bus is..

You guys shouldn't tempt me lol...I really wanted a GT500 cluster but I figured there would be way to many incompatibility issues so I wanted to stick with the same engine family, I figured that would be my best shot since at the time of purchase this was a bit of a gamble and experiment...

I'd love the functional boost gauge of the GT500 but interfacing the boost signal seems like it could be a lot of work
Old 3/5/14, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys able to do the PATS RELEARN and KEY PROGRAMMING .. since I'll have to do that if I install a 2013 PCM ..

Quick Reply: '13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit