Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/15, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
In the end, make a list of all the parts needed. I am very interested in this because I was going to look into getting a stroker kit for my 3.7 and forging the internals but this seems like a more cost effective way. Plus you can stroke this motor out too if I really felt the need haha. You have so many of us interested that we might be at your door one day begging for you to help us do the same to our cars haha.

Great job so far!
Old 7/22/15, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by killaz05
In the end, make a list of all the parts needed. I am very interested in this because I was going to look into getting a stroker kit for my 3.7 and forging the internals but this seems like a more cost effective way. Plus you can stroke this motor out too if I really felt the need haha. You have so many of us interested that we might be at your door one day begging for you to help us do the same to our cars haha.

Great job so far!
I have a feeling that we're witnessing the dawn of a new era for the V6 guys. This is not going to be fun for those of us with GTs, who can't afford superchargers LOL. I can see 3.5TT swaps becoming THE thing to do with 2011+ V6 cars!
Old 7/22/15, 07:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Hoping to install my SC this weekend or the next. Got to stay ahead of this 3.5 TT
Old 7/22/15, 08:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Another member sent me an pm asking about where I'm getting my information for the HP numbers, I thought I would pass this along for everyone. Tom at super six motorsport really knows these engines. He's been very responsive to my questions and has been very helpful. I do plan on having his company rebuild this engine once I have the first phase done.

I contacted several companies including livernois about rebuidling the ecoboost engine for this project, after a few emails they never responded to me again and never gave me a quote. As of today there are 3 unanswered emails, I wouldn't recommend them for anything based on my customer service experience. I also contacted ecopowerparts 3x with no response, I wouldn't recommend them either. Tom from super six and Geoff from full-race have been very responsive and I want to thank them for this. They offer different products and I will be using them for everything I can for my build.

http://supersixmotorsports.com

Last edited by Ecostang; 7/22/15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 7/22/15, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Hoping to install my SC this weekend or the next. Got to stay ahead of this 3.5 TT
That sounds fun! I won't have mine running for a couple months so you will defintely be faster until then

Good luck!
Old 7/22/15, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by killaz05

Great job so far!
Thanks! I will defintely make a list once done. I'm hoping this thread will give people enough information to convert any 2005-2014 mustang to ecoboost. There are so many of these engines out there in the junk yards, I think they have sold over 1m of them to date (2011-2015).

By the way, these engines also come in Taurus SHO, they are transverse ecoboost 3.5 and are only slightly different...but different. The Taurus engines are cheaper but I was told to get the f150 engine which I would have to agree with. Bolt pattern for the engine mounts and transmission are different and that alone makes it easier to go with the truck engine. There are some internal differences as well and it makes 20 less HP and less torque....different turbos.
Old 7/22/15, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I have a feeling that we're witnessing the dawn of a new era for the V6 guys. This is not going to be fun for those of us with GTs, who can't afford superchargers LOL. I can see 3.5TT swaps becoming THE thing to do with 2011+ V6 cars!
I'm hoping for this
Old 7/22/15, 12:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ecostang
Another member sent me an pm asking about where I'm getting my information for the HP numbers, I thought I would pass this along for everyone. Tom at super six motorsport really knows these engines. He's been very responsive to my questions and has been very helpful. I do plan on having his company rebuild this engine once I have the first phase done.

I contacted several companies including livernois about rebuidling the ecoboost engine for this project, after a few emails they never responded to me again and never gave me a quote. As of today there are 3 unanswered emails, I wouldn't recommend them for anything based on my customer service experience. I also contacted ecopowerparts 3x with no response, I wouldn't recommend them either. Tom from super six and Geoff from full-race have been very responsive and I want to thank them for this. They offer different products and I will be using them for everything I can for my build.

http://supersixmotorsports.com
Weird, Livernois is usually good about responding, or so I hear. You can't beat SSM though. They've been the go-to shop for GM and Ford V6s for years!
Old 7/22/15, 10:00 PM
Cobra Member

So I'm bolting up random things checking for clearance issues...found one. The radiator over flow tank is in the way of the air intake.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpg  
Old 7/22/15, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Just not enough room to turn down a 90 degree 3" pipe.

Last edited by Ecostang; 7/22/15 at 10:09 PM.
Old 7/22/15, 10:05 PM
Cobra Member

No big deal, I'm going to relocate the battery in the trunk and build a bracket to hold the overflow tank where the battery was located. This gives me room to put the pair of intercoolers just after the 3" 90.
Old 7/22/15, 10:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Weird, Livernois is usually good about responding, or so I hear. You can't beat SSM though. They've been the go-to shop for GM and Ford V6s for years!
I was in back and forth contact with livernois at least 3xs trying to get a quote, this person was working with an engineer. Then one day, without ever supplying the quote, they stopped responding to me completely. I sent 3 emails that they refused to answer, so I gave up. It could have been a cool build for them, not sure why they snubbed me.
Old 7/23/15, 12:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ecostang
I was in back and forth contact with livernois at least 3xs trying to get a quote, this person was working with an engineer. Then one day, without ever supplying the quote, they stopped responding to me completely. I sent 3 emails that they refused to answer, so I gave up. It could have been a cool build for them, not sure why they snubbed me.
Yeah their loss for sure. You seem to be doing just fine haha. Relocation looks great. To be honest, I always hated the appearance of the coolant tank located in the stock location. I like it better back there!
Old 7/23/15, 07:16 PM
Cobra Member

Yea I agree, it looks better moved. I made the brackets to attach the reservoir today. I welded one bracket to the car for the other bracket I was able to add on a piece to an existing bracket. I will clean up the welds and paint these brackets with the car to make them blend in with everything else.
Old 7/23/15, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

You can see the hose clears just fine.
Old 7/23/15, 07:19 PM
Cobra Member

I like the way this looks, I ordered the battery relocate kit for an optima red top battery.
Old 7/26/15, 12:07 AM
Cobra Member

This is a picture of the 3.5 ecoboost oil pan up against the stock 4.0 mustang v6 k-member. They were somehow made for each other despite coming from different platforms. The picture doesn't do it justice, if you run your finger in between them there's a 1/2" gap all the way around, they are exactly the same shape in the front.
Old 7/26/15, 12:15 AM
Cobra Member

I got the intercooler heat exchanger with fan, radiator, and ac condenser bolted in. I've decided to do away with the factory heat exchanger reservoir and put a 5 gallon reservoir in the trunk instead. This way I can drop in ice to really chill the air for racing, plus I can drop a big pump in to it.

I'm moving the car tomorrow to my house so I can spend a little more time on it. I'm trying to bolt on everything I can to make moving it easier.
Old 7/26/15, 12:17 AM
Cobra Member

Got the quad exhaust installed
Old 7/26/15, 12:19 AM
Cobra Member

All the sheetmetal in the front is scuffed and read for paint.

Last edited by Ecostang; 7/26/15 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap