Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/15, 12:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Man I can't believe how quick you're moving on this thing!
Old 7/26/15, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Man I can't believe how quick you're moving on this thing!
It's only because I'm doing the easy things first

But it's actually been going together quite smoothly. Loaded it up today and moved it to my house, feels good to have it at home finally even if it wasn't under its own power.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpg  
Old 7/26/15, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Not much room left in the garage, I think I need another lift
Old 7/26/15, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

I have saddle tan leather and would like to switch the car to black leather. If anyone wants to trade my tan seats and door panel inserts for their black leather set let me know. The seat color is awesome and they are in perfect condition but Imo the candy red should have black leather. If anyone is interested please pm me, I would be looking for some low mile seats, non smoker.
Old 7/26/15, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
What a cool project - this thing will be badass when it's done. Any idea what the weight difference is between the EcoBoost and the Coyote? Wondering if it'll help balance the car better or not?
Old 7/26/15, 07:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecostang
I have saddle tan leather and would like to switch the car to black leather. If anyone wants to trade my tan seats and door panel inserts for their black leather set let me know. The seat color is awesome and they are in perfect condition but Imo the candy red should have black leather. If anyone is interested please pm me, I would be looking for some low mile seats, non smoker.
That's so funny. Just as I saw the pic of it in your garage, I noticed the Saddle. I so wish Ford offered the Recaros in Saddle! If I didn't have my Recaros, I would have ordered the Saddle for mine.
Old 7/26/15, 07:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
What a cool project - this thing will be badass when it's done. Any idea what the weight difference is between the EcoBoost and the Coyote? Wondering if it'll help balance the car better or not?
Thanks man, they are very close. 444 lbs for the coyote and 417 for the ecoboost, this is according to the ford racing website as crate engines. I would imagine that the heat exchanger adds 5 additional lbs to the ecoboost.
Old 7/26/15, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How were you able to ascertain that there was no frame damage when you purchased the build vehicle. Did you get it sight unseen and have it shipped or did you bid locally and pick it up? I have surfed those wreck auction sites for a while but was never willing to pull the trigger.
Old 7/26/15, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
That's so funny. Just as I saw the pic of it in your garage, I noticed the Saddle. I so wish Ford offered the Recaros in Saddle! If I didn't have my Recaros, I would have ordered the Saddle for mine.
If you change your mind I could throw in some $ to get recaros! That's what I really want, I really like them in the Shelby. They seem to fit me perfectly.

These seats have 9k miles on them and you can't tell, they look like brand new seats. I wish I could get over it and keep them but I just like black
Old 7/26/15, 07:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
How were you able to ascertain that there was no frame damage when you purchased the build vehicle. Did you get it sight unseen and have it shipped or did you bid locally and pick it up? I have surfed those wreck auction sites for a while but was never willing to pull the trigger.
The only thing I ever went to college for was autbody and mechanics. I got out of school and worked in body shops for 5 years before I moved on to something new. This bit of experience gives me confidence to bid on wrecked cars.

The mustang doesn't have a frame, it's all unibody construction. There are however frame rails in the front and rear that your probably referring to. I could tell by the photos that there wasn't much if any damage to the rails, once it arrived I spent about 20 mins hammering out the ends of the rails to fit the new bumper reinforcement, no big deal. The back was very lightly hit although it did get in to the trunk floor, it appears like the car that hit the mustang went underneath it. It's a race car and I don't care about a dent in the floor of the trunk where the spare tire goes, if it ever bothers me I'll fix it.

When I look at a car online I try to determine why it's to totaled out, basically add it up. For a car with high miles it may just be 3 air bags and a bumper/hood that total it. Keep in mind total loss usually means over 75% of the cars value is in repairs. Mine needed an air bag, windshield, front and rear bumpers, hood, and headlights. My car was almost completely bolt on repair so it's was an easy repair. That usually means it will come at a premium, I paid $9500 with fees. Look for cars that are high hit, this usually avoids the frame rails. Stay away from flood cars!!! Always check the salvage history, I used a company called salvage research but for some reason their website is down. I have the guys personal email that I don't want to offer publicly. If you want it shoot me a pm, he is a great resource with lots of insider information about vechicles, costs $19.

Last edited by Ecostang; 7/27/15 at 07:40 AM.
Old 7/26/15, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will try to keep that all in mind while looking at cars. I have been forewarned about flood cars. Full of electrical gremlins, especially if flooded with salt water. They are tempting, but I would constantly be chasing issues. So it looks like you have around 15K into this excluding paint and the stage one rebuild. Not bad for a car that will make serious power at the wheels and still be a authentic V6. Since this will eventually be a race car, did you go with the GT500 front end for eventual brake cooling through the fog lamp cutouts??
Old 7/26/15, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
Thanks for the info. I will try to keep that all in mind while looking at cars. I have been forewarned about flood cars. Full of electrical gremlins, especially if flooded with salt water. They are tempting, but I would constantly be chasing issues. So it looks like you have around 15K into this excluding paint and the stage one rebuild. Not bad for a car that will make serious power at the wheels and still be a authentic V6. Since this will eventually be a race car, did you go with the GT500 front end for eventual brake cooling through the fog lamp cutouts??
I'll probably be in around $25k all in, I spent $1,500 getting the car delivered, upgraded the wheels, 13/14 LED tail lights and HID headlights, upgrading bumpers etc. I could have avoided some costs for sure.

That's a good point you bring up about brake cooling, I hadn't really considered that and actually bought the fog lights to put in the bumper. I went with the gt500 13/14 front bumper for air flow in to the engine bay to help with intercooler efficiency, plus it looks sexier. At least with this bumper I could add the brake cooling at anytime, that's cool.

Last edited by Ecostang; 7/26/15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 7/30/15, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

This is my new coolant reservoir, which will be trunk mounted, 5 gallons. I can add ice anytime and it comes with a huge rule pump mounted inside.
Old 7/30/15, 09:49 PM
Cobra Member

This is one of the intercoolers, I'll need to order another. I only ordered one to make sure it would fit.
Old 7/30/15, 09:53 PM
Cobra Member

I also got all the pieces to add fuel injection to the intake. I'll drill the holes for the bungs tomorrow using a drill press.
Old 7/30/15, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

This is where both intercoolers will be mounted. I'm planning to use a good portion of the factory turbo piping at least running to the intercoolers. I'm sure it will require a custom piece going from both intercoolers in to the intake.

Last edited by Ecostang; 7/30/15 at 10:12 PM.
Old 7/31/15, 05:25 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
This car is going to be so cool when you are done.
Old 7/31/15, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

This turned out nice, I just need to epoxy the bungs and add the mounting hardware for the rail.
Old 7/31/15, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Pic #2
Old 7/31/15, 11:18 AM
Cobra Member

Pic #3

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap