Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/15, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Talked to ford racing this morning about the control pack. I'm so frustrated with them, actually I'm pissed off. They now tell me the end of October, it's hard to even trust that. They told me that only one person has preordered the control pack so there wasn't much urgency in getting it made, that's what made me mad. First of all that's BS and isn't a good excuse to keep doing this to customers, secondly I tried to order this a month ago and was told I couldn't.....so how many would they have on preorder if they actually made it possible for customers to know they can order it??? It's not on their website, how would the vendors know! Very poor customer service, beyond poor actually. It's amazing to me that they are ok with treating customers this way, keeping in mind this is a $2200 part, this isn't a $2 widget. Oh and winter is coming in Colorado, by the time I get this control pack I wont be able to enjoy the car till spring.

I told them that I deserved a discount after this, they told me they would ask management. We will see if that happens, I'm not holding my breath.

I do have the f150 computer, maybe it's time to figure out how to get around the control pack.

Last edited by Ecostang; 8/28/15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 8/28/15, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

If you can, I would just use the F-150 pack. I would not believe a word Ford Racing is saying with their track record.
Old 8/28/15, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Mad at a company for not bringing a product to market because they think it may loose them money. SMH.
Old 8/28/15, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
If you can, I would just use the F-150 pack. I would not believe a word Ford Racing is saying with their track record.
No doubt. I hope I can use it but my biggest problem is going to be the f150 ecu is for automatic transmission and I have manual transmission. I'll need help to try and figure this out.

I think my biggest problem with ford racing is that they don't care if they upset people by pushing this out. From speaking with them several times over the last few months the components are ready to assemble, it's just not a priority for them to do it. I asked for the installation instructions, those still haven't been created. How could anyone give a August 1st date when 2 different departments still haven't got necessary work done 2 months later?

Hopefully I can move on using the F150 ecu and if we can figure it out, it will save people $2k on an ecoboost swap but that's assuming the control pack is available one day.

When I considered building a race car I got it narrowed down to 2 options, ecoboost autocross/track car or full on drag car building a 1000hp turbo diesel engine (keep in mind I wanted something different!). I wonder now which one I could have got going first, or if I made the right decision or not.
Old 8/28/15, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

On a positive note I ordered a gt500 radiator fan, rear bumper cover, complete gas tank with dual pumps, and the rear diff cooling setup (pump, heat exchanger, oil lines, and diff cover) all from a wrecked 2014 car with only 222 miles.

I'm had actually planned to sell the dual pumps, I need the newer style tank to us the CPE tophat I bought. Long story but it's cheaper for me to order a used tank than to buy a new tophat. I can't use the gt500 dual pumps if I use the control pack, it's uses a return fuel system (assuming it's like the other control packs). But I guess if I use the f150 ecu I could probably use the dual pump setup. The tophat is setup to be a return or returnless.
Old 8/28/15, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
No doubt. I hope I can use it but my biggest problem is going to be the f150 ecu is for automatic transmission and I have manual transmission. I'll need help to try and figure this out.

I think my biggest problem with ford racing is that they don't care if they upset people by pushing this out. From speaking with them several times over the last few months the components are ready to assemble, it's just not a priority for them to do it. I asked for the installation instructions, those still haven't been created. How could anyone give a August 1st date when 2 different departments still haven't got necessary work done 2 months later?

Hopefully I can move on using the F150 ecu and if we can figure it out, it will save people $2k on an ecoboost swap but that's assuming the control pack is available one day.

When I considered building a race car I got it narrowed down to 2 options, ecoboost autocross/track car or full on drag car building a 1000hp turbo diesel engine (keep in mind I wanted something different!). I wonder now which one I could have got going first, or if I made the right decision or not.
This is a major problem with electronics. You are at somewhat of there mercy. What sucks is that you only asked for an honest straight foward answer and get the run around. Im sure if they gave Ford owners a true answer. People would understand. Nothing worse than being told a story and as your listening to the rep you know he is full of...NOT FORD RACING STUFF. To get respect to have to earn it. Hang in there man. I really enjoy the build on this ECOBOOST Stang!
Old 8/28/15, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

We could look and see if we can get the original ECU running. Maybe Matt can help us getting the manual trans going. Can you give me the year of the F150 this ECU is out? I will see and look up the diagrams to get this to work. We may need to slay the other battery harness I have for getting this to work as well as the light harness I have. So let me know the year of the F150 and i will go and take a look.

LEXiiON
Old 8/28/15, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's start a petition at whitehouse.gov we demand answers. I'm just as excited about this build as you are!!
Old 8/28/15, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
We could look and see if we can get the original ECU running. Maybe Matt can help us getting the manual trans going. Can you give me the year of the F150 this ECU is out? I will see and look up the diagrams to get this to work. We may need to slay the other battery harness I have for getting this to work as well as the light harness I have. So let me know the year of the F150 and i will go and take a look.

LEXiiON
Thanks man, it's a 2012. 8/12 to be precise but for some reason it's still titled a 2012 and has 2012 turbos, although I assumed anything after 6/12 would be 2013. I have the 2010 mustang service manuals, but I bet you do too.
Old 8/28/15, 07:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boss man
This is a major problem with electronics. You are at somewhat of there mercy. What sucks is that you only asked for an honest straight foward answer and get the run around. Im sure if they gave Ford owners a true answer. People would understand. Nothing worse than being told a story and as your listening to the rep you know he is full of...NOT FORD RACING STUFF. To get respect to have to earn it. Hang in there man. I really enjoy the build on this ECOBOOST Stang!
Thanks, your exactly right. Although I will say the rep is nice and is only saying what they have be told by management. The guy told me today that he cringes when he gets an ecoboost control pack question. I think they just keep pushing it out because they are busy and management doesn't care about the commitments they make on it

Originally Posted by YepItsGreen
Let's start a petition at whitehouse.gov we demand answers. I'm just as excited about this build as you are!!

Last edited by Ecostang; 8/28/15 at 10:49 PM.
Old 8/28/15, 07:48 PM
Cobra Member

I got the flexible radiator line today works great. I had to use an adapter to go from 1.75" to 1.5", that's just for the shelby radiator.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpg  
Old 8/28/15, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talked to ford racing this morning about the control pack. I'm so frustrated with them, actually I'm pissed off. They now tell me the end of October, it's hard to even trust that. They told me that only one person has preordered the control pack so there wasn't much urgency in getting it made, that's what made me mad. First of all that's BS and isn't a good excuse to keep doing this to customers, secondly I tried to order this a month ago and was told I couldn't.....so how many would they have on preorder if they actually made it possible for customers to know they can order it??? It's not on their website, how would the vendors know! Very poor customer service, beyond poor actually. It's amazing to me that they are ok with treating customers this way, keeping in mind this is a $2200 part, this isn't a $2 widget. Oh and winter is coming in Colorado, by the time I get this control pack I wont be able to enjoy the car till spring.

I told them that I deserved a discount after this, they told me they would ask management. We will see if that happens, I'm not holding my breath.

I do have the f150 computer, maybe it's time to figure out how to get around the control pack.
I know what you mean on control pack. I was told back in 2009 it would be out soon. I called many times a year and was always told in a few months. After waiting until spring of 2012 just decided to do it on my own.

I may do another vehicle when the pack comes out but current one is keeping me plenty busy.

Nice to see you making progress on yours!

The pack has been installed in a few veh I know of (4). It's been ready just not able to sell is my guess.
Old 8/29/15, 05:31 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
What ever happened to the old days (60/70). When you could take any Ford engine just about, and drop it in connect a few wires along with the battery and fire it up.
Gone but not forgoton. This thread reminds me of my days. However a hell of alot harder now. I tip my hat to all that try and do there thing.

You guys have true Perseverance!
Old 8/29/15, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
What ever happened to the old days (60/70). When you could take any Ford engine just about, and drop it in connect a few wires along with the battery and fire it up.
Back then big blocks (7.5L) made about 250rwhp and got 8mpg. Now you have 3.5L making 400rwhp and get 17mpg. That was all made possible by electronic engine controls. Complicated electronic engine controls.
Old 8/29/15, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TimeWarpF100
I know what you mean on control pack. I was told back in 2009 it would be out soon. I called many times a year and was always told in a few months. After waiting until spring of 2012 just decided to do it on my own.

I may do another vehicle when the pack comes out but current one is keeping me plenty busy.

Nice to see you making progress on yours!

The pack has been installed in a few veh I know of (4). It's been ready just not able to sell is my guess.
Wow, since 2009! Maybe I shouldn't be upset, if they have been "about to release it" since then I shouldn't be surprised it still isn't available.

Do you have a video you can post here of your truck driving? How is it? Are you happy with everything so far?
Old 8/29/15, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Gone but not forgoton. This thread reminds me of my days. However a hell of alot harder now. I tip my hat to all that try and do there thing.

You guys have true Perseverance!
Originally Posted by sqidd
Back then big blocks (7.5L) made about 250rwhp and got 8mpg. Now you have 3.5L making 400rwhp and get 17mpg. That was all made possible by electronic engine controls. Complicated electronic engine controls.
Both are very accurate statements. I'm in my late 30s and when I started driving (1996) engines were actually more complicated to change out, at least I think. When I was 18-20 yrs old I had an 87 GTA trans am that I switched from automatic to standard and a 86 v6 Camaro that I did an engine swap on. I remember the engine swap literally taking me a couple months and the trans conversion took me weeks. Bolts required special tools, things were hard to get in and out. This build however has been as smooth as can be, engineering has come a long way (or because I only work on fords now lol).

I read lots of forum posts before I do things to the car, what's sad is people's unwillingness to modify anything. A person starts a thread "I want to put a standard trans in my automatic car" and almost all replies are "trade it in on a new car", it happens when anyone mentions upgrading engines or rearends, the natural answer is get a new car. I'm sorry but that's BS, what people are missing these days is that those modifications are fun even if they aren't cost effective. What they are also missing is that these modifications are soooo easy, all this stuff just bolts in, what's scary about that?
Old 8/29/15, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think a lot of people just don't have time. With many of our jobs now being 50-60 hour work weeks, with kids, doing all that wrenching on a car you likely still owe on, becomes impossible.
Old 8/29/15, 03:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I think a lot of people just don't have time. With many of our jobs now being 50-60 hour work weeks, with kids, doing all that wrenching on a car you likely still owe on, becomes impossible.
I hear ya, but just to play devils advocate.....I have a 6 yr old son, 2 month old baby, 2 month old bulldog puppy, I run a publicly traded company that's extremely busy and my wife and I both work fulltime. Just for motivations sake my only point is that people can make time if they really want to. I try to spend 10-20 mins an evening wrenching on the car and I try to spend a few hours on the weekend. The projects been moving along quick enough to be fun.
Old 8/29/15, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I hear ya, but just to play devils advocate.....I have a 6 yr old son, 2 month old baby, 2 month old bulldog puppy, I run a publicly traded company that's extremely busy and my wife and I both work fulltime. Just for motivations sake my only point is that people can make time if they really want to. I try to spend 10-20 mins an evening wrenching on the car and I try to spend a few hours on the weekend. The projects been moving along quick enough to be fun.
Holy cow hahaha! It helps you have a garage. If I did, I wouldn't get much sleep. I don't, so I have parts that I bought months ago, that I haven't installed. We work opposite schedules too, so Saturday is the only day we have together. Sunday I'm with the baby by myself all day, which leaves me an hour or two a week to do car stuff. Most of the time I'm just too tired, or that hour is dedicated to cleaning the car from it sitting outside all week...
Old 8/29/15, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, since 2009! Maybe I shouldn't be upset, if they have been "about to release it" since then I shouldn't be surprised it still isn't available.

Do you have a video you can post here of your truck driving? How is it? Are you happy with everything so far?
Here is a video link it includes some of the build.

I have not driven it since that day. I fell behind on other projects and shop cleaning.

1st and only test drive.

The first time just out of my driveway tapped the throttle and it felt quite strong. Other times just pretty light acceleration as did not know what to expect with steering, brakes etc. 1st time It saw the light of day since I started.

The next day I had friends over and had hood up and noticed the boot holding he tube from IC to TB had popped off! So I am sure it will feel very good once I can feel actual boost!

I plan on making it street legal before venturing out too far.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap