Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/15, 09:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
A pic of the approx position of the left side intercooler.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpg  
Old 8/4/15, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Just spoke with ford racing about the ecoboost control pack that was supposed to be available August 1st, still not available. They claim that now it will be at the end of this month, I have trouble believing that too. This control pack has been promised "to be released next quarter" for literally years now. C'mon ford racing, get your s*** together and get these out finally! People have been standing in line with $ to buy these for years, what a failure in product commercialization!
Old 8/5/15, 09:53 PM
Cobra Member

Everything is working out so far, rt side intercooler piping is almost done
Old 8/5/15, 09:56 PM
Cobra Member

The left side intercooler will be connected at the bottom of this 180. I will fabricate the 2.5" 180 u bend to the inlet of the engine using a 3" pipe.
Old 8/6/15, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Its amazing how tight they can bend pipe without loosing its shape.
Question: How do you use 2.50" pipe 180 degree u bend using 3" pipe. You lost me.
To make a 2.50 u bend, would'nt you use 2.50 pipe not 3"?
Old 8/6/15, 12:24 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Routing/fitting the intercooler piping was the hardest part of my recent Procharger install. There just is not much room up there. Hopefully you have more room with that V-6. It should be sweet when you finish. The coolest part is that you will have a car the Ford could have built.
Old 8/6/15, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to say great work on this as an Ecoboost guy that built an aux injector Flex a couple years back.
Just curious if you've actually been able to order or have any info on the stand alone controller yet, Ford has been procrastinating on this for so long.
BTW, if you can replicate the manifolds I'd be willing to buy some as long as they'll clear the F150 hood.

Last edited by MTXPERT; 8/6/15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 8/6/15, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Just spoke with ford racing about the ecoboost control pack that was supposed to be available August 1st, still not available. They claim that now it will be at the end of this month, I have trouble believing that too. This control pack has been promised "to be released next quarter" for literally years now. C'mon ford racing, get your s*** together and get these out finally! People have been standing in line with $ to buy these for years, what a failure in product commercialization!
**** missed this before I posted.
People call me all the time to ask about Eco swaps and I tell them not to do it due to the lack of that ECU. The only other option I am aware of is a Motek ECU that I've only hard of, not confirmed that controls DI engine but at like $10K.
If you can actually get this thing running I might follow in your footsteps and do a Mustang drag EB V6 instead of trying to build a Tremor, down side is it will be hard to build an 8.50 legal cage at my size in a stang.

EDIT: - google helps - Price is around $6200....

Last edited by MTXPERT; 8/6/15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 8/6/15, 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boss man
Its amazing how tight they can bend pipe without loosing its shape.
Question: How do you use 2.50" pipe 180 degree u bend using 3" pipe. You lost me.
To make a 2.50 u bend, would'nt you use 2.50 pipe not 3"?
This pipe is cast not bent, that's the only reason it's such a tight radius.

Ya when posted that about attaching the 2.5 to 3" I figured it would be confusing. It's hard to explain how I'm doing this without using my hands lol. Basically Im going to take a 3" hole saw and drill a hole that lines up with the angle of the intake pipe through the 2.5" piece. Then I'm going to take the 3" pipe and insert through the hole, I'll mark it where the 2.5" connects and then take it apart, cut holes in the 3" based on the marks, put the pipes back togetehr and weld it. Then I'll weld a flat piece on the end of the 3" pipe closing that off. It will look a little funky but it's going to work and save lots of money on a more custom piece. Hope that makes sense
Old 8/6/15, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Routing/fitting the intercooler piping was the hardest part of my recent Procharger install. There just is not much room up there. Hopefully you have more room with that V-6. It should be sweet when you finish. The coolest part is that you will have a car the Ford could have built.
No doubt the piping is a b****, mine is only going smoothly, so far, because I have spent months trying to figure out how to do it efficiently. I could have saved myself lots of trouble and went with an air-to-air intercooler, probably could have saved $1k or more. But my company sells water-cooled industrial equipment so it just seemed fitting to go water-cooled. There is a little room up from just in front of the engine before the radiator, I would have no idea how to make it work if that wasn't the case, there's no extra room anywhere else.

I'm with you, I think this is really cool because this could absolutely could have been offered in the stang. In fact it seems to fit a little too well....it would only make sense it was discussed as an option.
Old 8/6/15, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MTXPERT
I'd like to say great work on this as an Ecoboost guy that built an aux injector Flex a couple years back.
Just curious if you've actually been able to order or have any info on the stand alone controller yet, Ford has been procrastinating on this for so long.
BTW, if you can replicate the manifolds I'd be willing to buy some as long as they'll clear the F150 hood.
Awesome thank you. I don't have much information for the controller yet. Geoff from full-race said he might eventually have something for it. I figured if I built the fuel adder it might spark some interest somewhere For someone to build the controller. I have the ecoboost truck, this setup easily clears the hood.
Old 8/6/15, 04:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MTXPERT
**** missed this before I posted.
People call me all the time to ask about Eco swaps and I tell them not to do it due to the lack of that ECU. The only other option I am aware of is a Motek ECU that I've only hard of, not confirmed that controls DI engine but at like $10K.
If you can actually get this thing running I might follow in your footsteps and do a Mustang drag EB V6 instead of trying to build a Tremor, down side is it will be hard to build an 8.50 legal cage at my size in a stang.

EDIT: - google helps - Price is around $6200....
I want to wait for the ford racing controller but thanks for the information. I like that the build is almost entirely ford parts, and since I've waited this long.....I really just wanted to complain lol.

I've defintely read about your flex and saw the videos of it (assuming it wasn't another 600hp flex), thats what really sparked my interest in building this car. You guys showed me what the potential of the ecoboost really was, then they decided to put it in the raptor and ford GT to seal the deal for me.

You are a pioneer and it would be cool to see you build something else using the 3.5 ecoboost. Thanks for posting!

Last edited by Ecostang; 8/6/15 at 10:01 PM.
Old 8/7/15, 06:07 PM
Cobra Member

I bolted up some aluminum plates to pressure test the manifold with air to check for leaks on my fuel rail installation.
Old 8/7/15, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Another pic
Old 8/7/15, 06:14 PM
Cobra Member

Held to 40 psi but started to leak around the factory seals. I'll tighten all the bolts and try again. I basically just snugged all the bolts for the first test. Ill get it all sealed up and leave it under pressure for 24hrs.
Old 8/7/15, 06:55 PM
Cobra Member

I got the intercoolers bolted together with the correct spacing for the 180 degree fitting.
Old 8/7/15, 06:58 PM
Cobra Member

I insulated them since they are directly behind the radiator, this is peel and stick insulation.
Old 8/7/15, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Great thread and build Ecostang. The 1320 on this car will be very interesting.
Old 8/7/15, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Great thread and build Ecostang. The 1320 on this car will be very interesting.
Thank you! But I have no idea what 1320 means?

So the fan motor sticking out of the back of fan shroud is in the way of the intercoolers. I went and checked my fan motor on my Shelby and I got lucky once again, the fan motor doesn't stick out the back like the fan in the v6 mustang. I'll need to order the Shelby fan to get the intercoolers to fit properly. Not disappointed, I was on the fence about that anyway.
Old 8/7/15, 09:00 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
1320 ft....1/4 mile.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap