1320 ft....1/4 mile.
Lol, ok I should have known that.
Old 8/7/15, 09:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome work so far! Subscribed!
Old 8/8/15, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
This thread has captured the intrest of many ;-)
Old 8/8/15, 03:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by GT227
Awesome work so far! Subscribed!
Originally Posted by boss man
This thread has captured the intrest of many ;-)
Thanks guys, I'm interested to see how it turns out too
Old 8/8/15, 03:24 PM
Cobra Member

Question for anyone who can help

My car came from the factory with automatic trans, I'm switching it out to standard trans. When installing the pedals a couple of questions came up. The 2010 factory brake pedal arm has 2 switches on it, the 2011 brake/clutch pedal assembly has 3 switches total with 2 on the clutch arm and only one on the brake arm. None of the switches that came with the car fit the new brake pedal assembly, and none of the switch plugs are the same, and I'm missing a plug entirely. There is an open plug up in the dash but it doesn't reach anything, other plugs don't reach either. For being one year apart they made some significant changes to the electronics.

The question is do the switches need to be hooked up? Aren't they just deactivate switches for the cruise control? I know in the automatic it must be used to shift out of park, but with a standard I'm not sure it's necessary. Has anyone done this?
Old 8/8/15, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

One switch on the clutch will be for the cruise control, the other will be the clutch safety switch so you can't start the car without the clutch pushed in. I suppose you could bypass it but wouldn't be a wise thing to do in my book.
Old 8/9/15, 04:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
The Roush race car EB 3.5's use one OEM HPFP on each valve cover (for a total of two). They have made 1000hp with that setup. May be something to look into.
Old 8/9/15, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sqidd
The Roush race car EB 3.5's use one OEM HPFP on each valve cover (for a total of two). They have made 1000hp with that setup. May be something to look into.
Ya this is what they are probably doing for the GT, without help from a company like that I'm not sure how to get that done. Out of my league at the moment, but once then GT comes out it seems like those parts to create the HP in that engine will be available for sale.
Old 8/9/15, 07:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SplitSecond
One switch on the clutch will be for the cruise control, the other will be the clutch safety switch so you can't start the car without the clutch pushed in. I suppose you could bypass it but wouldn't be a wise thing to do in my book.
Ahhhh yes, the clutch safety switch, I should get that one hooked up for sure. The cruise control really isn't that much of a safety concern but the clutch starting sure could be. Thanks!
Old 8/9/15, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ecostang
Ya this is what they are probably doing for the GT, without help from a company like that I'm not sure how to get that done. Out of my league at the moment, but once then GT comes out it seems like those parts to create the HP in that engine will be available for sale.
From the pictures I have seen you need to modify the PS valve cover to be able to mount the second HPFP. I'm not sure if there is something special about the cam that runs it. Checking that out would be as easy as popping your valve covers and checking. The DS cam already runs the HPFP. If the PS is the same you're in business.

Roush makes their own valve cover for the PS. Looks like a billet CNC job from the pics. No reason you can't mod the stock plastic one though. All you would be doing is adding a mount.
Old 8/9/15, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI I tracked down the guy in charge of the Roush setup, the injectors are $1500 each and you have to do custom cams with a DI pump lobe.
I did a ton of research in trying to do that as well, it's not cost effective for a small run or a one off.
I've spent 2+ years trying to figure a way for the factory DI setup to have enough flow for 1K HP, it can't happen. You know this because the GT and supposedly the new Raptor are gong to both PFI/DI like my Flex had.
Old 8/9/15, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ecostang
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I wanted to share my build if anyone is interested! Plus it's likely that will need some help along the way, it seems like there are some extremely capable people posting on here.

I've had this plan in the works for about a year now and once I heard a few months ago that the control pack for the 3.5 ecoboost would be available August 1st so I got started.

Why would I do this? I love mustangs, I love the ecoboost engine (currently in my fx4 supercrew), and in a sea of mustangs I wanted something unique. I'm building the car to race in autocross, with 420lbs of torque (stock) at 2500 rpm this thing should be a blast. I'm not a professional racer, I just want to have fun in a car I built myself. This project is well under way now so I'm not really interested in debating whether or not this is a good idea....too late! I don't care how much this costs or the value of the car when it's done, I work hard at a stressful job and make a good living, I need this stuff to keep me from losing my mind. I own 3 other Cobras, one being a 800hp 14 gt500, I already own the high power V8, again I wanted something different....a sleeper if you will. I can't get anyone to race my Shelby on the street here, I'm hoping a V6 seems more beatable. Don't underestimate the HP potential of these engines, phase 1 of this project gets me to 550 RWHP and phase 2 get me to 650 RWHP but at a high cost. It's actually really inexpensive to get to 550hp utilizing it's forged factory internals and factory turbos (rebuilt).

Donor car. 2010 mustang with 8,995 original miles. It's a candy red premium V6 with glass roof, saddle tan leather, every option except NAV. I bought it wrecked in the front and rear from copart auctions. The body damage was limited to bolt-on parts which was fine with me. It needed front and rear bumpers, hood, and headlights. I replaced the 2010 v6 parts with 2014 gt500 front bumper, grille, fog lamps, HID headlights, painted rocker panels, rear bumper, quad exhaust, trunk panel and LED rear tail lights. Im using a 2014 V6 hood because I didn't want to be a complete poser. I'll be changing the snake emblem in the front grille to a boss running horse grille emblem, fender badges will be "ecoboost", trunk panel is V6 model.

Donor engine. 2012 F150 twin turbo 3.5 ecoboost with 19k miles. This is a drop out engine with everything included.

Donor transmission. 2014 mt-82 from a mustang gt with 1k original miles. Clutch, flywheel, pressure plate is from a 2012 boss with 1k miles on it, factory shifter with upgraded bracket to start out with.

Donor 8.8 rear end and one piece driveshaft, have not purchased these yet.

Engine management. Ford racing 3.5 ecoboost control pack finally available August 1st.

Steering. Switching hydrualic steering to electric steering (ecoboost is all electric). I bought a 2013 boss epas unit and I'll be adding a newer cluster to the car to control the adjustable steering settings.

Fuel. I'm changing out the factory fuel pump to a dual or triple and I'm adding 3.7 mustang fuel injection to the factory DI system to supply the necessary fuel for mods. The 3.7 and 3.5 blocks are nearly identical, heads are different. I plan to modify the ecoboost heads to fit the manifold injector setup from the 3.7.

Intake air cooling. I plan on doing away with the factory f150 air-to-air intercooler and switch to liquid cooling instead using gt500 heat exchanger, pump, and reservoir and an after market water-to-air intercooler for each turbo. I haven't worked out the turbo piping just yet, I need to see the engine in the car.

Engine cooing. I bought a 2014 gt500 radiator, the engine has a built in water-cooled oil cooler. I may do away with this and go with an air-cooled unit to keep temps lower. This is a trick the f150 guys are doing.

Turbos. I plan to have the factory units upgraded after I get the engine running but I'm not sure by who just yet.

Exhaust. 3.7 mustang high flow bbk cats with x pipe, oem mid pipes (currently looking for these), and I have the gt500 quad tip exhaust. I'm sure some modification will need to be done to the exhaust to get the 3.5 exhaust manifolds connected to the 3.7 cats.

Currently the car has all of its repair parts ready to paint and the engine/trans has been pulled ready for the new engine/trans. Hopefully I'll have time to get the engine and trans installed next weekend. Luckily the factory 3.7 motor mounts bolt to the F150 3.5 despite the truck engine having completely different motor mounts. Thanks ford!

Stupid question, why can I only post one pic per post using an iPad? I can upload 5 but it only drops down one? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong lol.
Way cool project! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

I started a 3.5 eco f100 swap back in 2012 then stopped because of illness.

Back on it again now. Had it fired up back in March. Hoping to be able to drive it before end of this month.

Congrats again for starting this great project!
Old 8/9/15, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TimeWarpF100

Back on it again now. Had it fired up back in March. Hoping to be able to drive it before end of this month.

Didn't you completely take the 2012 driveline/ECU/harness and put it into that other vehicle?
Old 8/9/15, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by MTXPERT
Didn't you completely take the 2012 driveline/ECU/harness and put it into that other vehicle?
Yup, that's "all" I did. Lol
Old 8/9/15, 06:05 PM

Yup, that's "all" I did. Lol
I don't think I implied it wasn't hard, just want to make sure people understand you're taking the entire truck, body computers etc over into the older chassis. Right now you can't just throw a ecoboost into another platform and get it to run without all the factory electronics.
Old 8/9/15, 06:16 PM

I don't think I implied it wasn't hard, just want to make sure people understand you're taking the entire truck, body computers etc over into the older chassis. Right now you can't just throw a ecoboost into another platform and get it to run without all the factory electronics.
Someone recently posted on my build thread that computer mod is now avail to do just that.

Ford Performance told me a couple weeks ago performance pak for sure avail in october, finally a set date. ( but have heard that for nearly 6 yrs now)

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=147380
Old 8/9/15, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Just FYI I tracked down the guy in charge of the Roush setup, the injectors are $1500 each and you have to do custom cams with a DI pump lobe.
I did a ton of research in trying to do that as well, it's not cost effective for a small run or a one off.
I've spent 2+ years trying to figure a way for the factory DI setup to have enough flow for 1K HP, it can't happen. You know this because the GT and supposedly the new Raptor are gong to both PFI/DI like my Flex had.
Are the injectors really needed to make lets say 600rwhp? What are the limits of the stock injectors if they have enough pump.

The cam lobe thing is easy to solve.
Old 8/9/15, 06:43 PM

Someone recently posted on my build thread that computer mod is now avail to do just that.

Ford Performance told me a couple weeks ago performance pak for sure avail in october, finally a set date. ( but have heard that for nearly 6 yrs now)

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=147380
Motec makes an ECU for $6K - I put it in this topic.
We've been waiting for years for the stand alone controller from Ford, they say every 6 months then change it...

I'm trying to read your build thread but there's not just the ecoboost build in there, there's like 3 or 4 vehicles so it's hard to weed out the eco related data. You post on my forum as well, we're local to each other, I think we've even talked on the phone but I've always cautioned against what you're doing at todays ability to do what you're trying to do. Ford is also super tight lipped compared to GM for backwards engineering things so it makes it even harder.
Originally Posted by sqidd
Are the injectors really needed to make lets say 600rwhp? What are the limits of the stock injectors if they have enough pump.

The cam lobe thing is easy to solve.
The stock DI injectors have supposed 600WHP on a SHO done by Livernois on C16. I would rather run E85 so it will require aux fueling.

Last edited by MTXPERT; 8/9/15 at 06:47 PM.
Old 8/9/15, 06:52 PM

I just read this on your eco swap topic:
Heard some news last night that might be of interests here. Both HP Tuners and Lund Racing are now claiming they can remove PATS from 2011-up Ford PCMs. HP Tuning software can also turn off Communications and fault codes for any unwanted modules on the CAN bus. This means that 3.5L EB/6R80 and 5.0L/6R80 swaps are now a lot easier to wire up to run correctly.

I am sure that by SEMA this November we will know a lot more and there will be a lot more 6R80 equipped vehicles on display.

THIS IS HUGE - if so then it will help for all of us to do what you're trying to do as well as this Mustang project and my 2015 F-150 EB drag truck project I'm starting.
Old 8/9/15, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks, I actually read your entire build thread a couple months ago. It's soooo long! I was wondering when you would be getting back to work on it, great to hear. A truly ambitious project, much more involved than the mustang. It will be impressive when you pull it off, not to discount what you accomplished already. Welcome and feel free to drop in a link to your build thread, I'm sure there's some people here that might like to cruise it.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap