Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs
View Poll Results: Do You Like the 2010 GT500?
Love It!
56.19%
Like It
30.09%
Don't Like It
6.19%
Hate It!
0.88%
Undecided
6.64%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

2010 GT500!

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/09, 12:19 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
So now current 05-09 owners are jealous of how good the 2010 rear looks. You guys crack me up. You can have the rear. I'll put up with it if its a GT500 because the rest of the car makes up for it...
That's the point.

Any car can be picked apart, some more than others specially by anyone who has no desire or plans on getting one. The bottom line will be demand and sales. Take a wild guess which will be the top seller out of the Mustang, Challenger, or proposed Camaro?
Old 1/4/09, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
That's the point.

Any car can be picked apart, some more than others specially by anyone who has no desire or plans on getting one. The bottom line will be demand and sales. Take a wild guess which will be the top seller out of the Mustang, Challenger, or proposed Camaro?
Dont you think the Camaro will be this year (09)? All the guys n girls who have been waiting for this car for years. Plus many GT buyers will be waiting for 11 to purchase a new one and the Camaro's price is competitive. Also you can get a 300 HP V6 vs a anemic Mustang V6. 09 may go to the Camaro.
Old 1/4/09, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Take a wild guess which will be the top seller out of the Mustang, Challenger, or proposed Camaro?
MUSTANG !
Old 1/4/09, 12:35 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite the vastly improved interior (which was way overdue for a Mustang), it is the 2010's rear end in particular that prevents me from wanting the car. At least with the earlier models like the '87-'93 GT and the '94-'95 Mustangs, a relatively "simple" tail light substitution could be done. IMO, the 2010+ will need a lot more than that. The GT500 could stand to tone down the "big-mouth" openings a bit (since Ford even says in the press release they took controlling under hood/engine bay airflow into consideration) - wouldn't it help if the front openings were just a little bit smaller? I do hope, actually pretty sure, Ford can sell a fair number of these cars in V6/GT/Shelby trim - it's just I don't plan on wanting or buying one at least until they fix the rear end.
Old 1/4/09, 12:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'm an SN95 owner, and at first I hated the new rear end. Since seeing it in person, it doesn't look as bad as I first thought, but it is still the single element that hangs me up on the new ones. I'm still contemplating getting a 09 GT500 at below MSRP or wait for 2011 to pay $35-40k for a GT, or just get a 2010 GT500. I think I will do the same as the others and wait it out until we hear more about the 2011s.

That being said, the new rear end has grown on me and I think the new cars look best in Sterling Gray. The black plastic cladding blends in best with this color. Does anyone else think the new rear end looks like a blend between the 05-09 and 96-98? That thought makes the 2010s look a little better in my mind. But (again as an SN95 owner) I always loveddddd the 05-09 rear end, especially with the GT/CS-GT500 bumpers. If I could just have a new Mustang with a 5.0 4V, 6-spd, watts link, 2010 interior, 09 rear end with CS bumper, and the rest of the car looking like a 2010 V6 in Sterling Gray, I would be one happy camper!! Alas, I am not a car designer and my "dream Mustang" will stay in my mind only .

Last edited by laserred38; 1/4/09 at 12:40 PM.
Old 1/4/09, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm an SN95 owner, and at first I hated the new rear end. Since seeing it in person, it doesn't look as bad as I first thought, but it is still the single element that hangs me up on the new ones. I'm still contemplating getting a 09 GT500 at below MSRP or wait for 2011 to pay $35-40k for a GT, or just get a 2010 GT500. I think I will do the same as the others and wait it out until we hear more about the 2011s.

That being said, the new rear end has grown on me and I think the new cars look best in Sterling Gray. The black plastic cladding blends in best with this color. Does anyone else think the new rear end looks like a blend between the 05-09 and 96-98? That thought makes the 2010s look a little better in my mind. But (again as an SN95 owner) I always loveddddd the 05-09 rear end, especially with the GT/CS-GT500 bumpers. If I could just have a new Mustang with a 5.0 4V, 6-spd, watts link, 2010 interior, 09 rear end with CS bumper, and the rest of the car looking like a 2010 V6 in Sterling Gray, I would be one happy camper!! Alas, I am not a car designer and my "dream Mustang" will stay in my mind only .
except mine would be in silver. Too bad Ford does not make it an option on which front end you can get. For example, I would get a new GT if I could get it with the V6 Pony package front end. They mutton chops ruin the GT front end for me. It would be easy for them to do, no different than ordering any other options IHMO.
Old 1/4/09, 12:47 PM
FR500 Member

I like that "dream" front-end combo (maybe because that's pretty close to what I was thinking too! )
Old 1/4/09, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Dont you think the Camaro will be this year (09)?
I sure hope, the SS would be an excellent competitor but tomorrow is promised to no one.
Old 1/4/09, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Always gotta chime in with a "glass half empty attitude" don't ya? What do you think people paid for their 2007 and 2008 GT500s in their high-point? Tens of Thousands OVER MSRP I can tell you that (which equates to $60-$75K for their GT500s). Your in the VERY SMALL minority who think this won't sell. I am already talking to several people about ordering one. And the car hasn't been "officially" introduced yet (Auto Show style). People want what they want, and will pay for it. Don't doubt that.

Is it more $$ than the Camaro SS and SRT-8 Challenger? Sure it is, I won't deny that. But has anyone really found out how much a FULLY LOADED SS costs (all options)? We know its gonna be in the low $40K range maxed out. And I don't see the SRT-8s flying off the lots (there are LOTS of them sitting now). This thing is easily 100+hp more powerful (and knowing SVT, the motor is under-rated, as usual) than both those cars, and still lighter (an assumption, but a good guess at the same right). Why can't you just let people be happy with what they see. Would you rather the car NOT come out, and have the entire "muscle-car revival" die out and we all drive Smart cars? Let the people be happy for what it is.

I'm sorry everyone, but most of you all in this thread are so happy with what you see, and I hate it when someone spoils it.
Sorry, I cannot post my opinion. I never said that the car wouldn't sell. $50K is a lot for a Ford Mustang. If you are looking to buy a $50K performance car, there are a lot more options now. That was my original point. Lastly, yes people DID at one time pay ADM's, but my opinion is that will not happen now. The economy has went from fairly strong to in the dumps (recession).
Old 1/4/09, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
except mine would be in silver. Too bad Ford does not make it an option on which front end you can get. For example, I would get a new GT if I could get it with the V6 Pony package front end. They mutton chops ruin the GT front end for me. It would be easy for them to do, no different than ordering any other options IHMO.
It seems the 2010 V6 nose will become a popular swap for the new GT's.

Last edited by watchdevil; 1/4/09 at 05:53 PM.
Old 1/4/09, 06:45 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gnat-sum
I asked my friend in Ford design about this, he said with these economic cutbacks, they had to significantly reduce the photoshoot costs, and they focused on what was different from the "base" Mustang when doing the GT500 shots. When I pressed asking how simple is it to take one pic of the rear, he said, one image is the result of several images which are lightbracketed and then composed together as one- its the common process used in professional photography and the cost of the shoot skyrockets w/ each different shot setup. That's why you see some shots which are of the same car just at slightly different angles.

Sorry, but as an advanced amateur photographer for many years who ventures into semi-pro photography when his job requires it - and also knows a lot about motion picture CGI - I can tell you that that explanation is bunk.

With all the angle set-ups they did - some very repetitious - it belies belief that they chose to intentionally omit the back of all things, as much as it beggars belief that they couldn't afford the set-up. The technobabble he spoke of is mumbo-jumbo that means nothing. I think the word you used above, "composed" was actually supposed to be "composited" (which they do for the shots of the car in motion) and while that sort of post work costs a bit more, static shots of the rear would entail negligible cost.

Ford has caught wind of the fact people aren't reacting positively to it, and omitted it, plain and simple. I'll wager one day we see a set of shots - from the same shoot - that show the back.
Old 1/4/09, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

Still no rear picks, huh...
Old 1/4/09, 07:54 PM

Boy, are you persistent!

Playboy, January issue, centerfold.

Old 1/4/09, 08:02 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Torrence likes booty pics I guess.
Old 1/4/09, 08:05 PM
Cobra R Member

I have got to say I'm concerned about the huge number of people who are not fans of this car's overall design. I too am not a fan or the rear, but Ford's intention was to fix the rear of the 05-09 that was also criticized. It's a hard act to follow, the 05' car was so popular that a repeat in general interest would be impossible. Toss in competition and a global recession and I personally fear for the Mustang's future. Overall I like the fact that Ford turned down the retro a little bit.

Ford did try to address the main complaints of the previous gen, interior quality and a plain back end. I figure a good healthy dose of power along with improved suspension and brakes may make many forgive the shortcomings of the 10' car. I'm not interested in this car (GT model) until Ford gives it at least 400HP, IRS and a 6 speed. At the same time I don't think the Challenger is anything to write home about. I think this car looks better in pictures and feels and drives just like a 4 door Charger (yes I have driven one). The Camaro will easily kick the tar out of both the Mustang and Challenger, but it is a bit rich for my blood and the interior is hideous. I think the GT500 gives enough power, looks and comfort for me to forgive the back end I just hope these things perform much better than the previous GT500 that I feel is a great car but a bit overpriced when looking at it's overall performance.

I encourage people to buy these Mustangs to ensure that we do still get a next gen car in 4-5 years... I'm probably going to be waiting on the sideline for a couple years on my next new Mustang purchase... but I can't wait to see and drive one of these
Old 1/4/09, 08:07 PM
Cobra Member

Very funny guys...
Old 1/4/09, 08:32 PM

The '05s were labeled as too retro and too bland. Now the '10s are too modern, too radical, and too aggressive. It doesn't seem like Ford can ever win.
Old 1/4/09, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Torrence
Still no rear picks, huh...

Old 1/4/09, 09:21 PM

SOLD!
Old 1/4/09, 09:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not telling anyone else what to like or not, since I don't want anyone else dictating to me what I should or shouldn't like. I for one love every aspect of the 2010. V6, GT and GT-500. Yeah some angles look better than others, but again that has to do with the perspective of the person taking the picture, lighting etc.

I can't believe we've all been sitting here arguing, *****ing, and complaining for almost 4 months about this topic. If you like it Good, If You Don't, Sorry. Either don't buy it or wait for Mod's 2 show up. But for God's sake can we just get over it? It's not gonna change any time soon. This is what we were given. So many aspects of the car are improved from the previous model. Quit Yer *****in' and just Deal With It!

Quick Reply: 2010 GT500!