Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

water leak problem on '06+ mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/07, 03:23 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
No it was the other dealer....not much better result unfortunately.
Cam Clarke...?
Old 6/11/07, 10:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Cam Clarke...?

Trying to be diplomatic and not name names.....but yes
Old 9/10/07, 10:05 PM
GT Member

I did a thorough wash on the weekend and really sprayed the passenger side to see what would happen. No carpets wet, but passenger door seems to be
dripping water from the front drain hole like it is still full. Water was sitting on the pass side sill plate when I opened the door. I think I am just going to have to live with this, be careful and watch out for long rainy drives, like those don't ever happen in Vancouver.

Good news is the driver sill paint looks great and I hit 6,500km's today
Old 9/11/07, 07:03 PM

Water on the door sill has nothing to do with the drain holes. The dealers try to tell you that water on the sill is normal and that it's coming from the drain holes but that is BS. Look at the position of the holes in relation to the sill. They are below the top of the sill and the door gasket is between them.

I believe the problem is due to the frameless windows. Water is getting in at the top of the winds where it meet the gasket. It then runs down the gasket to the edge of the door (where the latch is) to the bottom where it drips onto the sill. It is held in by the door gasket until you open the door.
Old 1/25/08, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
water leaks

I am in for the second time now to get to the root of wet carpet in the passenger front foot well. Was told yesterday that after repeated checks and tests the side mirror in the passenger door has a seal leak. As I wait for parts I wonder if this is the end.

I have always noticed water sitting on the passenger door sill after a wash but untill a few weeks ago never had wet carpet.

The service tech is going all out to get this resolved.
Old 1/27/08, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mbkintner
Water on the door sill has nothing to do with the drain holes. The dealers try to tell you that water on the sill is normal and that it's coming from the drain holes but that is BS. Look at the position of the holes in relation to the sill. They are below the top of the sill and the door gasket is between them.

I believe the problem is due to the frameless windows. Water is getting in at the top of the winds where it meet the gasket. It then runs down the gasket to the edge of the door (where the latch is) to the bottom where it drips onto the sill. It is held in by the door gasket until you open the door.
Just got my car back yesterday for this problem and the service tech showed me the door molding around the mirror having not been installed right. It had a fold in it where it mated with an adjoining piece allowing water to get through. it would build up on the sill and overflow into the carpet under the sill cover.

Last edited by I-70 west; 3/6/08 at 11:33 PM.
Old 2/6/08, 03:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

I got mine repaired last November per the TSB. The guy who fixed it was the dealers '"leak expert" and said it was a cowl grommet that was the culprit in my car. The service writer said it was the first one they had seen at the time, although he told me the other day that they have done more of them since.
Old 2/13/08, 02:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
my bad....check out this thread...

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2076816/tm.htm

i was told on many 05 cars....some 06 cars...then a few 07 cars??

thanks!
Not mine, but it does not see much rain and only 4k miles....
Old 7/22/08, 04:56 PM

Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum and joined specifically for this water leak issue. I found the answer in another thread and for those who still have issues - let me tell you about mine.

Last Thursday I had the wifeperson in the car and it was raining the perverbal cats and dogs. I accelerated from a traffic light and the wife got a shower from under the dash. This was the first experience with this issue. As soon as we got home I pulled the mat and smelled the carpet (looking for a radiator smell, nothing just plain water.

I went on line to see if anybody else had experienced this problem, let me tell you hundreds had. I searched several TSBs and several Mustang forums, then the answer popped up. The proplem is with the drain hole located just to the center of the car by the A/C heater inlet. Turn on the ignition and turn on the windshield wipers when they get to the upright position shut the ignition off, then remove the right side (passinger) cover by removing the 3 plastic rivets, and gently lifting up to clear the upper catches move to the center and out.

You will see the filter to the air intake for the AC/heater, put your hand in and move it toward the center you will feel the drain plug, you will also see that if is full of junk. I used a long screwdriver to clear the drain, then some very MILD bleach water to kill any bacteria and flushed it with clear water several times.

Once you know the issue, it becomes a maintenance issue. I figure maybe 3 times per years and it should take 10 minutes at best.