Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

water leak problem on '06+ mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/07, 11:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count my '07 vert in on the leaky boat syndrome..passenger side insulation/carpet just as described above.
Old 3/13/07, 12:40 AM
GT Member

Is this something everybody ends up having a problem with or is this a problem that only a few have. I'm had my 07 for about a month and a half and have washed it 3 times and driven in the rain for about a week and haven't had a problem.
Old 3/14/07, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

I've had my car over a year, washed it at least once a week during the spring and summer, driven it daily & left it parked outside during record rainstorms, driven it through through snow during the winter, and have had ZERO LEAKS.
Old 3/16/07, 03:02 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Sure hope the 07 I ordered does not have this problem (my 06 sure didn't).
You and me both, buddy. Our cars were built the same week.
Old 3/24/07, 10:25 PM
GT Member

Mine leaked

Mine was leaking, took it to Young ford in charlotte, they found the leak and sealed it along with a couple of other possibilities no probs from them..... they are also going to replace my carpet, they originally said they would have to clean it 1st to see if that would do it.... after seeing and smelling ,they ordered , My Dealer ( Young Ford ) is great!!!!

Got my 05 back from Ford they put my new carpet in, gave me a rental why they did it, the new carpet looks an fits better then the factory, and musty smell is gone......No Hassles out of my dealer at all! They also replaced my fuel pumps for the hesitation problem...
Old 3/26/07, 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
07 Leaks

Well, I hope I am not being too optimistic, but I just came back from the car wash. After reading all of the horror stories about this problem, I had to know if I had a leak. I used the high pressure wash and really hit the passenger side wheel well area, windshield, and area around the pollen filter. Checked inside and no water. I do have the white foam cover, but everything appeared to be dry. I even pulled the carpet and pad up just to be sure......here's hoping. This is going to be a pain checkling for water everytime I wash it.
Old 3/28/07, 06:39 AM
Cobra Member

Anyone got an update on the TSB? My car should be here this week and I a really scared about this . Hey Hollywood (formally BC) thats so cool that our cars were built the same week, lest hope they are implementing a fix right on the production line.
Old 3/28/07, 08:02 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes me wonder if ordering an 08 is a better idea (hoping Ford will fix the problem by then), than getting an already produced 07.
Old 3/28/07, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

it seems so far my car is fine..but i get worried to drive when there is forecast of rain!

that really sucks doesnt it???
Old 3/28/07, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah Yao it does, though thats the problem with knowledge the more you have the more aware you are and the more you tend to worry. I really do think that the late production 07's must have this sorted out because it's not a part replacement but rather a fit issue, so hopefully they are just checking harder for quality control.
Old 3/28/07, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Yeah Yao it does, though thats the problem with knowledge the more you have the more aware you are and the more you tend to worry. I really do think that the late production 07's must have this sorted out because it's not a part replacement but rather a fit issue, so hopefully they are just checking harder for quality control.
thanks vistablue.
do you know what the part is so i can go to Ford Service and PROACTIVELY tell them to fix it?

thanks!
Old 3/28/07, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

From what I understand it is one of the gromits in the the cowell the only problem is there are like 8 or 10 of the **** things so they(the dealer) really has to know which one is leaking. Also I understand it to be a sealant issuse rather then a broken part. It also seems to effect the passengers side the most. You know I don't know why dealerships don't get in touch with each other, there are a few(one psted right on here) that have had their car fixed, if I was having this problem I would have my service department call one of the ones that fixed the problem. Have their tech talk with yours and getit done right the first time. Seems logical to me, though maybe I am nuts
Old 3/28/07, 08:36 PM
Closet American

vistablue mustang: I haven't had a chance to check this out on my car yet (we had the same build date). Perhaps I should go in again later this week and take a closer look WHILE THE SEATS ARE OUT FOR SWAPPING.

You may actually have your car licensed and on the road before me after all.
Old 4/5/07, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

My '06 leaked the first time it rained hard after I bought it (about a week later). I caught it real quick and got it fixed right away. It has rained several more times and been through a few car washes since then (about 3 weeks ago) and has been fine. The '05 I traded in on it had a water problem with the rear spoiler, it was a bad install job by the dealer, the car was supposed to be a spoiler delete car.
Old 4/5/07, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
My '06 leaked the first time it rained hard after I bought it (about a week later). I caught it real quick and got it fixed right away. It has rained several more times and been through a few car washes since then (about 3 weeks ago) and has been fine. The '05 I traded in on it had a water problem with the rear spoiler, it was a bad install job by the dealer, the car was supposed to be a spoiler delete car.
hello frdtch05gt,
thanks for this info.
what exactly did your Dealer fix? i ask because i want to be proactive and bring it for a look even if there is no problem.

thanks so much!
Old 4/8/07, 06:25 PM

Driving in rain and washing my car by hand never produces a problem. However, I do have leaks on the passenger side if I go through a touchless car wash and select the underbody option.

Mike
Old 4/8/07, 09:26 PM
GT Member

Mother nature is testing a second set of leak repairs on my 07 as we speak.
Don't get too cocky if you don't see a leak right away, mine took six months to leak and I live in a freaking rain forest...seems to need a weird set of hard rain, sloped parking position and longer driving time.
Old 4/8/07, 10:45 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
Mother nature is testing a second set of leak repairs on my 07 as we speak.
Don't get too cocky if you don't see a leak right away, mine took six months to leak and I live in a freaking rain forest...seems to need a weird set of hard rain, sloped parking position and longer driving time.
Yep, it's definitely coming down right now.

Fingers crossed, Scott.
Old 4/9/07, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
hello frdtch05gt,
thanks for this info.
what exactly did your Dealer fix? i ask because i want to be proactive and bring it for a look even if there is no problem.

thanks so much!
They said it was something around the corner of the a-pillar in the cowl area, probably a seam or corner of the body that wasn't sealed up correctly at the factory. I bought the car used with very low mileage, so it had probably been garaged since new. I haven't seen any further water entry since the repair, and the car has been through several car washes and heavy rains, everything is all dry.
Old 4/9/07, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

All is good so far, it rained hard last week and my stang sat outside for about 7 1/2 hours and I drove through it too. Checked gromit, wires, and SJB all were dry.

Quick Reply: water leak problem on '06+ mustangs