GT350

Shelby GT350 Is a Thirsty Monster: GT350 Fuel Economy Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/15, 03:12 PM
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to a leaked window sticker from the new Shelby GT350, we now know the fuel economy numbers for the new track-focused Mustang. And they remind us of the glory days.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 7/20/15, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What did people expect the gas mileage to be? In the mid 30s!
Old 7/20/15, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustangfan410
Mid 20s

Most are not concerned about its gas mileage, but now everyone will know why it has a gas guzzler tax.
Old 7/20/15, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangfan410
Your post intimates that no performance car gets decent fuel mileage?
Old 7/20/15, 10:52 PM
GT Member

I'll be happy if I get anywhere near 16 mpg!
Old 7/20/15, 11:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I think the expression is, "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

I have reset my trip computer just before starting an autocross run and my V6 gets between 6 and 7 MPG during the run. But it's a blast!
Old 7/20/15, 11:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by orng302
Your post intimates that no performance car gets decent fuel mileage?
I was talking about this car in particular. We already knew the engine size and the amount of horsepower so it getting 16mpg shouldn't have be a shock to anyone.
Old 7/21/15, 06:09 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lol at EPA yearly fuel cost. Like the average owner will actually drive that many miles with this car. I'm sure 1 or 2 will but id say the norm will be less than 5000 miles a year.
Old 7/21/15, 06:54 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
When I got my GT last year, out-of-state friends and relatives would ask me what I'm paying for gas in NJ. I told them that not only did I not pay attention to the pump, I really didn't care what kind of mileage I was getting either. They were shocked at my attitude. And if I had to explain why, then they weren't going to understand anyway, so I didn't bother.

If I was ever in a position to buy a GT350, mileage and fuel costs would never enter into the equation.
Old 7/21/15, 07:40 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
For those who are concerned about mileage, maybe Ford can team up with Toyota and produce a Shelby GT100 Prius.
Old 7/21/15, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but I'd say that's just a more realistic calculation at work here. I never get anywhere close to advertised mpg in my car, and I've pretty much stopped caring since it's no longer a daily driver.

I'll post some pics later, but here's a little bit of my beast's split personality during a big cruise of S197s and S550s that I participated in on Sunday...
Attached Thumbnails Shelby GT350 Is a Thirsty Monster: GT350 Fuel Economy Leaked-photo65.jpg   Shelby GT350 Is a Thirsty Monster: GT350 Fuel Economy Leaked-photo120.jpg  
Old 7/21/15, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

It all relative and for a car LIKE the GT350 to get anything over 20MPG highway is pretty good. This is not meant to be a daily car. It is a an envelope push. More importantly I was very surprised by the price. I thought it would be closer to 75 or 80 K not under 60.

HELL, the GT can hit close to 50 grand when fully loaded.
Old 7/22/15, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
When I got my GT last year, out-of-state friends and relatives would ask me what I'm paying for gas in NJ. I told them that not only did I not pay attention to the pump, I really didn't care what kind of mileage I was getting either. They were shocked at my attitude. And if I had to explain why, then they weren't going to understand anyway, so I didn't bother.

If I was ever in a position to buy a GT350, mileage and fuel costs would never enter into the equation.
It's exactly this kind of attitude and viewpoint why Ford doesn't worry about fuel mileage either, which btw is irresponsible on their part as well as yours. To say you don't worry about fuel mileage because you don't drive your car much is one thing but there are people that use there cars as daily drivers. One other point, GM with the Corvette and Porsche with all of their sports cars have managed to build some very top performing cars while still getting pretty good gas mileage, so it can be done.
It's about time Ford starts doing the right thing for everyone not just the enthusiast of which I am definitely one.
Old 7/22/15, 09:34 PM
FR500 Member

It's exactly this kind of attitude and viewpoint why Ford doesn't worry about fuel mileage either, which btw is irresponsible on their part as well as yours.........

To say you don't worry about fuel mileage because you don't drive your car much is one thing but there are people that use there cars as daily drivers.
Irresponsible by whose standards? Yours? Who are you to lecture Ford, me, or anyone else about responsibility? I see that your screen name is "orng302"....a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

I tend to doubt that anyone here, especially those that use their Mustangs as daily drivers, were unaware of the less than stellar gas mileage when they selected a V8 over a V6 or EB. No one held a gun to their heads, nor did Ford pull the wool over their eyes. They all had a pretty good idea of what they bought into. Those that use their V8 Mustangs as DD's have obviously made mileage a secondary consideration. It's their prerogative.

In fact, a large percentage of members here, perhaps even a majority, don't use our cars as daily drivers. We've chosen to spend a significant amount of money because we wanted a performance car above all else and I for one have earned the right to **** away my money anyway I choose.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 7/22/15 at 09:36 PM.
Old 7/23/15, 12:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It's exactly this kind of attitude and viewpoint why Ford doesn't worry about fuel mileage either, which btw is irresponsible on their part as well as yours.
You really don't think Ford worries about fuel mileage? Of course they do! Meeting CAFE regulations is likely at the forefront of their minds. Why do you think they've invested millions in developing Ecoboost technology?

Why do you think there's a 4-cylinder option in the S550 Mustang? Those engines are ALL about good fuel mileage, whilst still offering good performance.

The fact Ford has a number of fuel sipping cars mean they CAN afford to have a thirsty 5.2 Flat Plane Crank V8 in the GT350.

And I'm with Tripleblack...........my '05 GT is my toy, so I don't care how many miles it does to the gallon. Just how many smiles I get to the gallon. And I'm in the UK, where our fuel is the equivalent of about $8/gallon. I think I can safely say all my Mustang owning friends here care little about MPG. If we did, we would have chosen a Mustang in the first place. I use mine sparingly, so the annual mileage is low. My daily driver is a diesel BMW.
Old 7/23/15, 05:22 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I must be pure evil....my GT is my daily driver AND it's going over to the darkside as soon as my friend has time to fit me in his shop.
Old 7/23/15, 06:00 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.nocarnofun.com/the-very-f...rrett-jackson/

Old 7/23/15, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's exactly this kind of attitude and viewpoint why Ford doesn't worry about fuel mileage either, which btw is irresponsible on their part as well as yours. To say you don't worry about fuel mileage because you don't drive your car much is one thing but there are people that use there cars as daily drivers. One other point, GM with the Corvette and Porsche with all of their sports cars have managed to build some very top performing cars while still getting pretty good gas mileage, so it can be done.
It's about time Ford starts doing the right thing for everyone not just the enthusiast of which I am definitely one.
Well, I look at it this way, I love cars and I love Mustangs BUT I also still care about the planet and resources. SO, If I can drive a high Milage car during the week and take a GT or GT350 out on a Beautiful Weekend drive with out the Rush hour traffic, thats no so bad and why the heck not. And besides, If you can get 300 + HP and 30 + MPG WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH THAT

I saw a video of an all electric car that blow the doors off a Ferrari and a Porsche GT3 in drag race. In that case Who needs fuel.

It all a choice. I want the best of both world others just want the Best power and performance and don't care about the rest.

But if FORD or any car maker for that matter can produce a 300-350 HP car that gets 32-35 MPH highway that they should. I just make owning the car that much easier AND that saved fuel coast can go Right into Mods if you choose.

Last edited by Brewman; 7/23/15 at 06:32 AM.
Old 7/23/15, 07:57 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Brewman
Well, I look at it this way, I love cars and I love Mustangs BUT I also still care about the planet and resources. SO, If I can drive a high Milage car during the week and take a GT or GT350 out on a Beautiful Weekend drive with out the Rush hour traffic, thats no so bad and why the heck not. And besides, If you can get 300 + HP and 30 + MPG WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH THAT
There is nothing wrong with owning a car that gets good fuel economy; all the better if there's a performance and fun factor built in. As you stated (and I wholeheartedly agree with you): it's a choice.

But make a choice based on your own personal needs, intentions, and wallet, not on some misguided belief about saving the planet's resources. We have plenty. The Saudis are on the ropes. The US is becoming more energy independent, and we would be in even better shape if our government would adopt a sensible all-of-the-above energy policy.

I'm willing to bet that if you combined the extra fuel that all Mustang owners "waste" in a single year, it'd still be minuscule in comparison to the amount of actual waste that faux-environmentalist hypocrites like Al Gore, Leonardo DiCaprio, and other elitists produce in a single month while flying around the world in gas guzzling, energy inefficient jets, espousing their mythical planet saving agenda.

Add to that the amount of energy wasted by enormously populated third world countries who get a pass on regulations like India and China, and it pales in comparison to what the US and other Western countries expend.

The US government sets the rules, as unfair as many are perceived to be. Ford and others follow those CAFE rules as they are required and still provide us with performance cars that we desire, despite the poor fuel economy of some models.

The "green" industry is largely based on a hoax. Make choices based on personal requirements, not for some altruistic touchy feely reason. This planet is going to be around a whole lot longer than us, our children, and tens of thousands of generations after.
Old 7/23/15, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, I simple was trying to weigh Responcebility vs wants but since you brought it up NO, The resources are NOT plenty, and as the BIG OIL guys have said in interview people think CHEAP GAS is their birthright well it is not. all I an trying to say is it is OK to have a toy BUT on a daily basis you need to think beyond your self . Yes the planet will be here BUT will it continue to support human life? And as far as the science WELL REAL scientist "PHDs" agree we are changing the planet.
Its fun to drive fast. But at what cost?
Can we create efficient cars that are sustainable to the planet?

A toy is ok but you DO NEED to consider WHAT you are doing and how it effects the whole............

I am torn as I am a Car guy but the numbers state we need to think differently.

Lastly, Sorry guys, off the soap box just need to address this.

Last edited by Brewman; 7/23/15 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT350 Is a Thirsty Monster: GT350 Fuel Economy Leaked