Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Reproducing the Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/06, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RussTKD
It's fixed!!!

The Service Advisor told my Salesman that Ford is difficult getting warranty repairs authorized if the tech can't reproduce the issue, and that's why it got turned down the first time. But it's taken care of now.
I was very scared of getting crap from the service writer when I took my car in. Luckily for me (I guess) that it not only did the hesitation thing coming off of the freeway, but you could make it happen around town too. I noticed that there were 3 or so labor entries on the wrap sheet that mentioned road test, this test and that test. Can't remember what they were exactly. I think they were able to get my car to "do its thing" fairly easily cuz the service guy called me back within a couple of hours and said a new fuel pump was going on my car. If I remember right they added about 12 miles or so to my odo.
Old 8/1/06, 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

well I am too having the same problems of going into fail safe when I am making a turn.. going to Ford on Friday.. I sure hope its this and not my Bamachips tune ( which I doubt!) this forum has so much great info!!! Lets just hope the dealership doesnt give me crap about my 4-10 geard or LT headers...
Old 8/1/06, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

also.. was wondering if when you were all having these problems.. did it feel like your power steering had gone too?? Cause when this is happening to me I can barely move my steering wheel. Wonder if there's a TSB for the power steering pump as well.
Old 8/1/06, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

also.. if its the fuel pump, would my miles per gallon take a hit? I ask cause I have noticed I am not getting as many miles and b4.
Old 8/1/06, 04:19 PM
GT Member

I personally didn't notice a power steering issue, most times it happened to me I was going in a straight line. I would imagine though, that if your car is stalling/dying due to no fuel it might not have power steering at that moment? And then fuel the next second and the car keeps going?

OH ya, and I do get better gas mileage now, but only like +1 or 2 mpg increase.
Old 8/1/06, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah with me its been when I am making a turn.. its got to be the fuel pump or the throttle body.. today when I was turning into my drive way I noticed as soon as I engagded the clutch the rpms drops to about 500 super fast.. car started to feel a little iffy.. man I cant wait to get this checked out.. aside from the dreaded gas tank problem.. I havent any problems since I got mine in Oct of 04. Goe figure.. thanks alot FORD!!
Old 8/1/06, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

TSB 06-9-9 Fixed my issues:

Hesitation and falling on it's face during 80% or more turn radius maneuvers.
Falling on it's face when backing up an incline.
Buck...Buck...Buck when dropping out of 5th gear and stabbing gas in 3rd or 4th.
Crazy clutch pedal feel in first gear after being parked or long highway cruises.

The fuel pumps are basically crap and cause a number of different issues that feel like problems outside the fuel pump. Tunes, so far, have not been the issue. The stock tune, the Predator Tune, a Bamachips Tune, the XCAL Tune all seem to have the same issue, so disgard the tune idea.

MY FORD DEALER IS AWESOME! GO EWALD!
They got my car last night, tucked it inside, ordered the part, got the part today, fixed my ride, and called me at 2:49 P.M. to come get it!

I told my mechanic to turn on the air, crank some tunes, and burn a 1/4 tank out of it for a job well done. It was 98° here today with about 77% humidity and he climbed in the tiny @#$ back seat to fix it! I told him anything except rubber on the fenders!
Old 8/1/06, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

ha ha well I'm glad your dealership was so cool.. lets hope the Ford dealership I'm going to will be like that!!
Old 8/7/06, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow, i remember reading this thread a while back, so on my long trip this past week i tried to duplicate. After my g/f going a few times, what are you doing? I was downshifting and taking off for no reason.
could not get any hesitations. Later on we come up to the toll booth to pay, and I pay, take off and car falls flat on its face, almost with my face in the steering wheel. Im like WTF thats my hesitation im looking for!
did it again a few more times on the trip after stopping for toll booths.
most of the toll booth guys posting on here were on the Ohio or PA turnpike just like I was, maybe its haunted! lol

I tried slowing sooner into the booths, and downshifting into the booths, even reving while creeping up to the booth, I would still get the hesitation. Glad to see a TSB.
Old 8/9/06, 09:07 PM
GT Member

I recently had my fuel pump replaced, pursuant to TSB 06-9-9.

Prior to bringing it to the dealer, I hooked up my Predator and started running a diagnostic log while on a long trip. I managed to record the "hesitation" event on the predator, and I showed it to the Ford Tech. It was all he needed to see-

I monitored fuel rail press, RPM, and mph. During the event, the FRP drops to 1-2 psi, then jumps up to 60psi, then back down to 38-40psi. Bubbles in the fuel system! Car runs great now.
Old 8/12/06, 10:17 AM
GT Member

I went to my dealer today for 5000 mile check work and brought the TSB. The service department has been pretty crappy so far but they're like 2 minutes from my house. After discussing the TSB, the fact that it happens quite frequently and describing how I pulled off a ramp and the car dangerously hesitated while a semi truck was careening down the road, the service manager said they would have to duplicate it before doing the work. So I said thanks, I'm not going to have this other work done today and I'll just go to another dealer. (Of course he didn't give a hoot but I'll never go back there for service or buy another car from them).

I then drove across town to a bigger dealer (who also had a much cleaner service department) and described my problem and showed him the TSB. He said they would like to duplicate it also. Then I told him about how many times it has happened, how it is hard to duplicate at will and how they have to take it cruising for about 1/2 hour at a steady speed to duplicate it. Finally he said well if you have the TSB we'll take your word for it and do it whenever you want. So I made an appointment Tuesday to have it done. At least now I know I have a dealer who's a little more reasonable even though they are across the city.
Old 8/12/06, 10:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Neither of the two dealers that I took my car to to have this problem fixed had ever heard of it so I put a bit of a spin on it. I told them if they wanted to give a tech up for a two hour round trip so I could reproduce the problem that would be fine with me. After I said that they ordered the part, no questions asked, and my car was fixed a week later.
Old 8/12/06, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I was talking to a Ford mechanic last night at a bar and was telling him about this, before I could finish he knew what was up already.
Happens to be a guy from where I bought my car, and planned on taking it to them for service since my business and family have been doing business with them for 30 years. We help them out alot on thier non ford repairs, one hand washes the other.
Old 8/14/06, 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Off to get my new fuel pump put in this Thursday on an 06 GT Auto, VDX1 code. Has had a few incidents of bogging or hesitating after a long cruise since it was new. Did it stock and also with C & L and tune. Guess I better remove my C&L CAI and return the car to stock, so they don't try to blame that. Good thing I recently had the negative battery cable disconnected when I installed the homelink mirror with compass and temp reading. Easy to play dumb if they check for computer history.
Old 8/14/06, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by lenko
Off to get my new fuel pump put in this Thursday on an 06 GT Auto, VDX1 code. Has had a few incidents of bogging or hesitating after a long cruise since it was new. Did it stock and also with C & L and tune. Guess I better remove my C&L CAI and return the car to stock, so they don't try to blame that. Good thing I recently had the negative battery cable disconnected when I installed the homelink mirror with compass and temp reading. Easy to play dumb if they check for computer history.
Be sure and let us know if they give you any hassle about restoring your stock tune, or if they even detect it.

I had the 6-9-9 done on my '06 GT Auto and it definitely fixed the problem.

Good luck and it is worth it!
Old 8/14/06, 07:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to remember someone saying on one of the posts here that the 6-9-9 TSB also fixed the problem of the A/C not kicking off at WOT. I have noticed a few times that the car just feels sluggish when the A/C is on, at WOT and also at partail throttle.
I checked it out a few times on the interstate. I first turned off the A/C long enough to get the air blowing warm. Then when I reached a big hill (at least 30 seconds of going up a hill) I floored it, then hit the A/C button. I could feel the compressor kick on and the air started getting colder. That shouldn't happen.
Anyone know if this TSB fixes the A/C issue??
Old 8/15/06, 04:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by blaster
..... Finally he said well if you have the TSB we'll take your word for it and do it whenever you want. So I made an appointment Tuesday to have it done. At least now I know I have a dealer who's a little more reasonable even though they are across the city.
Ok so that was Saturday. On Saturday I say don't you have to order the parts and he says no we can get it ...we have 11 suppliers. So I drop it off today and take their shuttle to my work. I call back at 3:30 to see if it's ready and guess what the answer is. 'WE ORDERED THE PARTS'

Friggin' dealer service department inept idiots. Typical. Makes me think I will avoid any dealer service department unless absolutely necessary.
Old 8/15/06, 04:57 PM
GT Member

I am taking mine in tomorrow for TSB 6-9-9. Service writer seems impressed that I new what the heck I was talking about. We'll see how it goes.
Old 8/15/06, 06:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just took mine in for the TSB and the service writer at first was saying, "we'll have to drive it and see if we can get it to hesitate." When I showed him the TSB that I had printed off he was like "wow, that's the problem. Let me see if we have the pump in stock." Of course they had to order it, but it will be in tomorrow morning. Amazing what a TSB in hand will do.
Old 8/15/06, 06:17 PM
GT Member

I made my appointment online describing all the pertinent information including the TSB number. I then called today to verify appointment with Service Writer who printed up TSB 06-9-9 to have in hand first thing in the AM. I just hope I don't get there and then start getting jerked around.

Quick Reply: Reproducing the Hesitation