Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Reproducing the Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/06, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the same problems with my 05 GT. I've been working with some techs at the local dealer and they seem to think something is wrong with the throttle body. Ford just updated the throttle body part # on these cars. So there is a new throttle body out from Ford. I just ordered one for my car today and hope to have it by Monday. So once I get this put on under warranty I will get back to y'all. Should have it on the car by Tuesday.
Old 1/22/06, 05:05 PM
GT Member

My car has done the fall on it's face thing at least a dozen times in the last 9 months. Generally I'm taking off when it happens but sometimes trying to merge at an on ramp; either way it is always while accelerating from a low speed or from a dead stop. It pauses for a second as if out of gas then takes off normally. I have never seen it happen under a full throttle take off, just normal take off up to about half throttle. Even when merging it hasn't happened if I really have my foot in it, which is most of the time. During the Clark Kent style merges, it is likely to pause though; fortunately those are rare...

I would say it is highly unlikely Ford isn't aware of this since 06's still do it and the people on these forums are the vocal minority, meaning there are probably dozens seeing this for every one of bringing it up on the forum and many people just overlook it or see it as a normal or "acceptable" problem.
Old 1/23/06, 09:59 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by the cable guy@January 22, 2006, 6:08 PM
My car has done the fall on it's face thing at least a dozen times in the last 9 months. Generally I'm taking off when it happens but sometimes trying to merge at an on ramp; either way it is always while accelerating from a low speed or from a dead stop. It pauses for a second as if out of gas then takes off normally. I have never seen it happen under a full throttle take off, just normal take off up to about half throttle. Even when merging it hasn't happened if I really have my foot in it, which is most of the time. During the Clark Kent style merges, it is likely to pause though; fortunately those are rare...

I would say it is highly unlikely Ford isn't aware of this since 06's still do it and the people on these forums are the vocal minority, meaning there are probably dozens seeing this for every one of bringing it up on the forum and many people just overlook it or see it as a normal or "acceptable" problem.

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Used to be coming off of a right hand slow turn. Now I see it happens going straight too and exactly as you have described. Sure hope we hear what the problem is soon.
Old 1/23/06, 09:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by Rick M@September 30, 2005, 1:41 PM
I have seen a lot of threads on this site talking about hesitation...

After cruising for about forty miles I stopped at a rest stop and turned the car completely off. Started the car normally and shifted into 1st. Got the car rolling at about 5 mph then tried to floor it when I hit the merge ramp. The car exibited the same hesitation. I should note that once the care hesitates it runs just fine.

Can anyone duplicate any of these findings? I would like to gather the data and present it to Ford.

I WANT THIS FIXED!!

My thanks to any reply in advance.
I stopped off the highway tonight to fill up- ramp back on was next driveway to the station, and I deliberately took off slow in first till I got straight on the ramp and eased it to near the floor VRROOOM-blahhhhhhh-VROOM, Im sure tires were not spinning, and got that nice little sideways bark in second, just seemed like ignition totally shut off in first for a second- I'd lifted slightly, and it came back on just as quick, but it is kinda weird...I didnt turn off traction control, but really didnt feel any wheelspin, as I'd opened the throttle kinda gently.

Man I love this car...

BTW- this was third fill up for my car, this time at diff BP stapion, pump on low- it clicked off at full, and only dribbled enough to run out the plastic bib under the cap that drains under the car- so for the first time it dint puke gas down the side of the car...I'll go there from now on- not close, but a couple more desolate onramps to enjoy
Old 1/23/06, 10:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

it's looking like we're just going to have to sit and wait for Ford to issue a fix for this very annoying problem.
Old 1/24/06, 09:28 PM
GT Member

This same problem appears to affect V6 and GT cars alike. To me this would indicate a fuel tank problem of some type. Maybe something with the way the pickup is situated inside or the venting causing something similar to a vapor lock? If so, it seems it could be related to the issue with filling up.
Old 1/25/06, 07:44 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking that this is an issue with the throttle body or electronic throttle system

I have had the same issues myself, getting the shudder when dropping a gear to accelerate on the freeway, and having the engine bog when the clutch was fully engaged, punching the throttle in first.

When I take my car in for the TSB service in the spring, i'll definitely bring up this hesitatation to the techs. Hopefully an updated reflash of the computer will solve the problem. Additionally, they do have a database documenting any problems, hopefully they have some info.
Old 1/25/06, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Same issues for me with the V6 . I've noticed it more after driving for an extended period of time. My commute is 60 miles one way and last week when I got off my exit and stopped, it bucked as I started to merge. Very disheartening. Also had the same issues end of December driving back from FLA to PA.

I'm ready for my 15K check and I'll say something to Ford to see if they've heard anything...
Old 1/25/06, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought I senced that once so I disconnected the Battery and hooked it up later and It must have been subliminal reading I hope ! I did get a longer run now per tank ?
Old 2/3/06, 01:10 PM

This problem has been around since day one. My early 05 v6 has done it since new. Been waiting to for a TSB since complianing about an issue you can not reproduce on demand gets ignored.
Happens after 60 MPH run for more than 15 minutes or so, slow down or stop like toll both or off ramp and then light to moderate accell.. cough fart and go.. as the big rig creams you [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]
My guess is adaptive learning and fly by wire are not quite right, stays way to lean after the constant light throttle highway run.
Doug
Old 2/8/06, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

This has happened to me many, many times in the past and now occurs almost daily partly as a result of my 60 mile mostly interstate commute. I've learned to "clear it" every day by downshifting to 4th on the off ramp and flooring the accelerator. It falls on its face quickly 1-3 times and I'm good from then on. The only advantage to this process is not stumbling from a dead stop or while pulling out into traffic.

So the other day I was using my Predator to datalog some O2 sensor and loop info when I decided to see what the hesitation looked like as data. I set up the live data parameters RPM, TP Mode, Loop, and the O2 sensors even though they were not realy part of the test. I downshifted into 3rd gear on the off ramp, floored it, and it bucked and took off like usual.

The graph shown was created with information from the Predator. It clearly shows what I have suspected for a while now. That the throttle is being closed by the computer even though I had the pedal to the floor. The green arrow shows where WOT begins. The red arrow shows the two hesitations caused by part throttle, even though the pedal was floored. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

In the end, this is only one more little piece of information that Ford is probably already aware of. I just thought that someone might find it interesting.
Old 2/8/06, 06:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Awesome! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Good job.... I've been too lazy to datalog. I just sold my predator for the x-cal 2 hoping that Dougs tunes would solve the problem... looks like they won't.

Any day now Ford.....
Old 2/8/06, 06:40 PM
GT Member

I'm going to hook my Predator up and watch it for a while as well.
Old 2/8/06, 11:43 PM
V6 Member

Seems like a bunch of people have the "warm-engine, exiting the freeway, downshift and hesitate" problem...but others have the "cold engine bucking multiple times when the pedal gets mashed". I've never had the warm-engine hesitation, but I've had the cold-engine bucking happen to me 3 or 4 times.

I wonder if we have two different problems here or if they're related. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Gary
Old 2/10/06, 01:42 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(railray @ February 9, 2006, 12:46 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Seems like a bunch of people have the "warm-engine, exiting the freeway, downshift and hesitate" problem...but others have the "cold engine bucking multiple times when the pedal gets mashed". I've never had the warm-engine hesitation, but I've had the cold-engine bucking happen to me 3 or 4 times.

I wonder if we have two different problems here or if they're related. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Gary
[/b][/quote]

This is happening to me both ways. It bugs me heck out of me! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 08:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Almost seems like there are flaps at the end of the cold air intake that are maybe sticky , maybe from heat expansion or when they are cold they tighten up ?
Old 2/13/06, 11:32 PM

Well, I have experienced hesitation on a cold start and just pulling away in 1st gear. The car bucks like crazy and will get worse with acceleration, so I usually let off the accelerator and she is fine right away.

It bugs me, but its like anything else when you go to take it in for fixing, it wont duplicate the problem for Ford.
Well, I am sure I will get it fix some day soon as it does not happen often.

I have had only three issues with my 05 and they are clunking front end when turning = repaired under TSB.
Stereo skipping CD's, errors, etc, havent replaced it, been waiting out for 06 to get it repaired.
and the hesitation item.

The car drive like a dream stock and I love the car!
Old 3/2/06, 10:21 PM

i think i have recently been experiencing what most of you have.. it generally only happens on the freeway at about 60-80 mph... i have an automatic and basically if im just cruising at 60-80 mph it will buck a few times kinda like the breaks are being slighty pressed on and off very quickly.. i can get through this "bucking" if i floor it but then it kinda goes back to the bucking sensation.. happens maybe twice a month....this only happens at higher speeds and its very annoying... I also want to note that right now it is like 10-32 degrees in Jersey..... and it seems to happen more when it is cold/rain/snow conditions.. just an observation.. i also added a CAI + Xcal II to note...

any ideas?? replacing the throttle body spacer?!?
Old 3/8/06, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LimeGT @ February 8, 2006, 7:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
This has happened to me many, many times in the past and now occurs almost daily partly as a result of my 60 mile mostly interstate commute. I've learned to "clear it" every day by downshifting to 4th on the off ramp and flooring the accelerator. It falls on its face quickly 1-3 times and I'm good from then on. The only advantage to this process is not stumbling from a dead stop or while pulling out into traffic.

So the other day I was using my Predator to datalog some O2 sensor and loop info when I decided to see what the hesitation looked like as data. I set up the live data parameters RPM, TP Mode, Loop, and the O2 sensors even though they were not realy part of the test. I downshifted into 3rd gear on the off ramp, floored it, and it bucked and took off like usual.

The graph shown was created with information from the Predator. It clearly shows what I have suspected for a while now. That the throttle is being closed by the computer even though I had the pedal to the floor. The green arrow shows where WOT begins. The red arrow shows the two hesitations caused by part throttle, even though the pedal was floored. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

In the end, this is only one more little piece of information that Ford is probably already aware of. I just thought that someone might find it interesting.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for posting the data stream plot. That's great information and it's a fact-based backup to what we are experiencing. Add me to the list of people who have experienced the "4th gear downshift" hesitation. Happened twice during a recent trip from MO to TX and back. My GT was built in late July 05, although I haven't seen any correlation between build date, V-8,V-6, etc.
Old 3/8/06, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know I brought this up with my tech and he was puzzled so he called Ford and they told him that this is normal for the Mustang. So it would seem that they are aware of it but not sure if they consider it an issue.

Quick Reply: Reproducing the Hesitation