Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Reproducing the Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/05, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this issue, but way worse. My car is fine full throttle in 1st gear. Second, third and so on Past 4K RPM or 3/4 throttle it bucks and sounds like misfiring from the engine. I have installed Steedas tune, and then put back to stock and still have the same issue. I am scared to death to take it to the dealer due to me playing with the CPU. Have any of you gone to the dealer with this and what have they said
Old 10/20/05, 05:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Austincobra@October 18, 2005, 10:30 PM
I have this issue, but way worse. My car is fine full throttle in 1st gear. Second, third and so on Past 4K RPM or 3/4 throttle it bucks and sounds like misfiring from the engine. I have installed Steedas tune, and then put back to stock and still have the same issue. I am scared to death to take it to the dealer due to me playing with the CPU. Have any of you gone to the dealer with this and what have they said
Something tells me that taking this problem to the dealer would be futile
Old 10/21/05, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nagman@October 10, 2005, 12:23 AM
Anyway keep us posted import-slaya!!
Two things I did that both seemed to help. I installed the Jet throttle body spacer and drove for two days--throttle response was definitely crisper, especially in the lower (<3,000) rpm's. Now, I tried duplicating the stumble situations during those two days and couldn't get it to happen. Not very scientific, but it appeared to have helped.

I also got the JLT intake/SCT2 (with DTP tunes) and installed it last weekend, so I have a full week of driving experience on it. I've tried all week to duplicate the situations that used to lead to a stumble, and it just won't do it anymore!

If I had to try one thing only, I'd say get the intake/tune. I have a feeling that makes up 95% of the difference in drivability. However, if you are worried about reflashing, then for $96 shipped, the throttle body spacer is easy enough to try.
Old 10/21/05, 11:55 PM
GT Member

Hey thanks Slaya,

Ok so is a tune required w/the jet spacer?
Dude you seem to be $pending a lot of time with your car latley,I just read your thread on the Saleen short shifter,sounds very cool for only $30.00! Where are the photos?
Anyway thanks for the update on the drivebility issue,Im going to have to try these mods.Let me if the hesitation returns.
Old 10/22/05, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nagman@October 21, 2005, 11:58 PM
Hey thanks Slaya,

Ok so is a tune required w/the jet spacer?
Dude you seem to be $pending a lot of time with your car latley,I just read your thread on the Saleen short shifter,sounds very cool for only $30.00! Where are the photos?
Anyway thanks for the update on the drivebility issue,Im going to have to try these mods.Let me if the hesitation returns.

4.10's go in sometime soon and I haven't even started on the suspension... (and I still can't get over the $30 short shifter--absolutely the best bang for the buck mod I have ever done!)

For the jet spacer, no tune at all is required. I put it on before the reflash so I could really try to see if it is doing anything. It is. I put it on late at night and had sort of forgotten about it the next morning on the way to work. Start the car up and back out of the driveway slowly as usual, put it in first and touch the gas lightly to get going and I was like "whoa!" because the throttle response was noticably quicker than stock. All in all, not a bad improvement for the money, especially if you are hesitant about reflashing for warranty reasons.
Old 10/24/05, 11:54 PM
GT Member

Cool slaya
Old 10/26/05, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think it's a heat soak problem either. I have had it stock and not stock. I have tbs, C&L,SLPLM and sct2 tunes and it does it still. A cold front just came in with hurricane wilma. and it did it tonight while I was merging on the interstate. I think if you cruise around like I was not stepping on it and then you floor it, it will hesitate. but if you drive like a bat out of heck it seams to do it less. I think it's a computer learning your driving habits. It runs strong though..13.5 1/4mile automatic. gonna take it out to the track tomorrow and hopefully get some better times with this cool weather since my 13.5 was very humid here in FL.
Old 11/3/05, 08:41 PM
V6 Member

I bought mine in october 04, it has had this hesitation/bucking sensation since then when it was stock. I've installed 4.30s, JLT cold air, and a Diablo tune and the car does it now worse than it ever did. I bought the cold air and the diablo tuner thinking that they would cure the problem, it acts as if the throttle position motor/drive by wire is messing up and not opening the throttle body blade. I think I'm taking everything off and taking it to the dealership sometime this month. Here recently when it does the bucking sensation it goes into safemode, all I do is push the clutch in, take it out of gear, turn off the ignition for a few seconds, crank it back up, and it's good to go....still a safety issue because everytime this happens it is on the interstate or just getting off the interstate
Old 11/5/05, 12:27 AM
GT Member

keep us posted bucky!
Old 11/15/05, 05:47 PM

Hi, I am retired from the Ford Rawsonville Plant in Ypsilanti Michigan they make trottle body's for the Tang's. I was at a corn roast this summer and some friends that are still working said they had a big problem and they could not ship 100,000 trottle bodys until Ford engineers could figure it out. I have not heard anything since. I don't know if they figured it out or not.
Old 11/15/05, 09:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here is another thread on this issue

My car was built in October 2004 and I have this same "bucking" issue after cruising at a constant speed for 30min or more. Indeed it is very annoying. I make a trip to Pittsburgh twice a month and this happens to me constantly. I know how to cause this issue. If I ease into the throttle I won't get the bucking, only if I mash the throtle to the floor.

I am making that same trip for Thanksgiving and would like to use my Predator to do some datalogging. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to datalog to help in pinpointing this problem?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 11/16/05, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

i had a similar problem on my 05 (rolled out of the factory oct 05). had to take it to the shop a few times to get it all worked out. first trip they replaced one ignition coil, had a slight improvement but then it got a bit worse. next trip they replaced two more ignition coils, slightly better but still not right. after that they looked a bit deeper and found that the plugs that were attached to the replaced coils were fouled. once they replaced the plugs it ran great again.

fortunately the shop i take it for service has alot of experiance on mustangs. unfortunately being in england means i have to wait a week or more for parts.

they did not notice the problem on the normal testdrives they did. on the third trip i took the mechanic out for a spin to show him the problem since you need to go over the speed limit in order to notice it.
Old 11/20/05, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by pittperson@November 16, 2005, 12:11 AM

I am making that same trip for Thanksgiving and would like to use my Predator to do some datalogging. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to datalog to help in pinpointing this problem?

Thanks!
Chris
Anyone?
Old 11/21/05, 09:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
My car was built the first week of November and I got it the day before Thanksgiving. I had not had this problem till yesterday , but it was exactly the same as described. I had been on I-95 running about 75 mph on cruise for about 40 minutes and got off on an exit. I slowed to about 45 mph on the ramp which turns to the right with a short lane for merging. There was traffic coming in the lane and so I down shifted and kicked it to get ahead and just like every body else it seem to die for an instant. It did it once more , so I slowed for a minute and then it was fine. Of course when I depressed the clutch to down shift , the cruise control stopped , but I had not hit the off button. I'm wondering if maybe it's a computer glitch with the cruise control ...
Old 11/27/05, 04:55 AM
LMS

I have a 06' GT Coupe, manual purchased 1 Nov 05. My car does the exact same thing as everyone has described. So far, it has only happened after I've driven for about 20 minutes, usually around 70 mph, downshift from 5th to 4th and smoothly push gas pedal to the floor (rpm between 2700-3500).
Bucks three times and usually won't do it again. Very confusing and annoying. Since the weather is cooling off in Arkansas, I doubt if it is heat related. BTW, the cruise control was off.
Old 11/27/05, 07:51 AM

I had been reading about this issue and was glad I hadn't experienced it. But now:

It happened to me once recently.

Funny that this happens with no CEL.

Stock car, manual trans, 12K miles, cool weather, 1/2 hour hiway @ 70 mph, c/c off, downshift 5 to 4 for passing, POP!

I lost track, is this happening on Auto trans or V6?

So theories here so far are; Heat soak, c/c glitch, detonation/dirty plugs, bad TB...

No one is sure Ford is aware/working issue. This is the real problem. Getting FoMoCo to acknowledge.

My theory is that the timing is staying advanced for the cruise rpm and the pop sounds to me like it's popping into the intake when engine decelerates for gear change and then accelerates rapidly for the higher RPM in lower gear. It wakes up the computer, RPM, timing and fuel line up again and then all is normal.

Again, Pop and Buck with no CEL. Hmmm.
Old 11/28/05, 06:17 AM
V6 Member

I have a 2006 V6 automatic, about 1700 miles on it. Last night I got off the interstate after about 20 or 25 minutes of highway speeds (not using cruise control). I took an exit, came to a stop at a light, waited for green. As soon as I gave it gas to go, I got the hesitation, just a single pause. I let off the gas, and hit it again and it was normal again. Not the first time I've seen the hesitation but the first time where I remember and can describe the conditions.

I'm at 3800 miles, it happened again in the same exact scenario (except it was one exit down from the last one).

:rock:
Old 11/28/05, 10:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

I made my trip home from PA to Maryland yesterday. There was traffic the entire length of the PA turnpike and I did not hit speeds higher than 50mph. After cruising at only 40mph without cruise control due to the traffic, I stepped on the gas and got the hesitation again. So neither speed nor c/c is a factor. I guess the next thing I can do is check my plugs and see what they look like.
Old 11/28/05, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

There are way too many folks reporting this problem. I really hope some folks pursue the issue with their dealership's service department and can get them to take the time to investigate it. It may even require them to get a Ford engineer involved. Surely by now, there have to be other owners reporting the problem outside of the lucky folks who know about this wetsite. If enough people band together and report the same problem, it will eventually get resolved.
Old 11/29/05, 10:59 AM

Not sure if this is related by I've noticed that my 05 GT seems to have a "dead spot" when accelerating with the cruise control on going about 70-75mph. I was on the interstate driving and I was going the same speed as the car in the next lane over so I wanted to get around them. I gently pushed on the throttle and the car was not responsive. I had to get on on it pretty good and then it finally responded. Has anyone else noticed this?

Quick Reply: Reproducing the Hesitation