Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Reproducing the Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/06, 12:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wooo hoooo! New fuel pump fixed my pony's problem. Runs like a scared rabbit again!
Old 7/20/06, 01:53 PM

Got mine done, I wonder how much power response I have been missing since I got the car.
Old 7/20/06, 03:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by crashedout
Got mine done, I wonder how much power response I have been missing since I got the car.
I said the same thing to myself. Still have the drive by wire throttle lag (which is a whole different thing)...however, this new fuel pump works way better than the old one.
Old 7/21/06, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by SonicStanGirl
I said the same thing to myself. Still have the drive by wire throttle lag (which is a whole different thing)...however, this new fuel pump works way better than the old one.
Cannot say I notice that much... too happy to be able to drive with AC now. If there is lag now its time to get them to upgrade the ECU. In theory there should be very little lag, if there is then I blame their ECU.
Old 7/21/06, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Does anyone here a slight engine knock when turning off the engine? I swear I hear this.
Old 7/23/06, 11:13 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Anyone know the price of the fuel pump? My GT was imported and I don't have a warranty.
Old 7/24/06, 07:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Took my baby to the dealership this morning, sick of that hesitation bull****. Floor it buck buck go. Always when you 1) NEED the acceleration or 2)Trying to show off
Old 7/24/06, 01:05 PM
V6 Member

I got in a wreck on June 11th.

Car went to a local bodyshop, and the guy there told me that they'll bring the car to the local Ford dealer to reinstall the airbags, clear any codes, etc.

I called the local Ford dealer and told him I was having this issue with my car, and could they look at it while they had it? "Sure. No problem."

Bodyshop called me back a few weeks later and told me the car was ready. I looked over the paperwork, and they hadn't performed the work for this TSB on it. I had another minor issue that required the car going back to the dealer on, so this time I put a copy of the TSB in the car, called the dealer again, and asked them to take care of this for me. "Sure, we'll look at it."

Got the car back friday. Checked the paperwork. They replaced the pin switch on the hood, claimed they road tested the car, and didn't do anything because "engine runs fine". The car had 19 more miles on it than the day before, and was driven from the bodyshop to my house (8 miles) as well as from the bodyshop to the dealer and back (5-6 miles). So in a 3 mile test drive, they were apparently able to diagnose an issue that can take upwards of 40-45 minutes of 70+ MPH driving to show itself and decide that my car wasn't affected by this issue.

I called the dealership and talked to my salesman, who's also a friend of mine and asked him what the **** was wrong with their service department. He talked to a different service writer who had a car similiar to mine that they were performing the TSB on. So the car gets to go back a THIRD time to get this taken care of.
Old 7/24/06, 10:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yah know once my engine is warm it runs fine only hezitated from a stop , then with a K&N CAIntake it went away ?
Old 7/25/06, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

fuel pump

I'm having the 3rd fuel pump being installed today. Hope this one is a good one.
Old 7/25/06, 09:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I am a little more calm this morning but this was my experience with the local service department yesterday concerning the TSB for the hesitation..
HERE
Old 7/25/06, 10:03 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I am a little more calm this morning but this was my experience with the local service department yesterday concerning the TSB for the hesitation..
HERE
My next door neighbor used to work at the dealer I brought my car to. He said if a customer came in with a TSB he found on the web, they were likely to blow it off, because some people are idiots and want every TSB done, whether their car is experiencing the issue or not.

And I can fully understand that, since I've been in the car business before.

But at the same time, if the TSB reads "long cruises", then take the car out for just that, if you need to reproduce the problem before you can fix it. A 3 mile drive up and down the service road isn't going to reproduce the issue.
Old 7/25/06, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by RussTKD
My next door neighbor used to work at the dealer I brought my car to. He said if a customer came in with a TSB he found on the web, they were likely to blow it off, because some people are idiots and want every TSB done, whether their car is experiencing the issue or not.

But at the same time, if the TSB reads "long cruises", then take the car out for just that, if you need to reproduce the problem before you can fix it. A 3 mile drive up and down the service road isn't going to reproduce the issue.
I have had issues with dealers saying this but I try to call their bluff. If the car is under its initial warranty everything should be covered. Most TSB's state that all you need to do is mention the problem. I assume the labor and parts are billed back to Ford. Unless someone keeps doing the same TSB over and over again how can this cause the dealer any issue? They get an easy, quick job and make some money. Please correct me if I am wrong in any of my assumptions.

I also feel that if a TSB comes out with an all new part, then everyone with the existing part should be allowed to upgrade to foster better resale and customer relations. You should not get penalized for helping them reach their sales goals by buying first. My $0.02 on that one.

That being said, Ford needs to update the TSB to reflect that the AC causes the hesitation as well. That is an easy thing to check, turn on the AC and try to accelerate. Bingo.
Old 7/25/06, 10:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RussTKD

Yes, I can understand that type of attitude as well, BUT I didn't give them a TSB only referenced it. Stating I was experiencing that very thing and not just once, but several times. I also stated that it is happening after LONG trips, such as 30-45 minutes or more of constant highway speeds. I don't WANT or EXPECT them to take MY car out for that type of test trying to reproduce the hesitation. They fed me some BS about it should throw codes, but once again, has ANYONE had a code thrown when this happens? I think not. I don't pretend to know more than the service tech, but **** not every person that comes to the dealership is a complete moron. I think I was more upset about not having the car ALL day and absolulety nothing was fixed during that 10 hr stretch.
Old 7/25/06, 10:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That being said, Ford needs to update the TSB to reflect that the AC causes the hesitation as well. That is an easy thing to check, turn on the AC and try to accelerate. Bingo.
Explain to me how the AC would make the car fall FLAT on its face? I know it sucks power and response to a point, but not like this. I mean it's like you turned the ignition switch off then back on. Not to mention the first time this happend it was too cold to have the AC on and no I didn't have the defroster on either.
Old 7/25/06, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by [LEFT
OKCMustangGT[/left]]Explain to me how the AC would make the car fall FLAT on its face? I know it sucks power and response to a point, but not like this. I mean it's like you turned the ignition switch off then back on. Not to mention the first time this
happend
it was too cold to have the AC on and no I didn't have the defroster on either.
I never noticed the from cruising problem as stated in the TSB. I did notice the when the AC was on (prior to the fix) I would give it gas and it would lag...like it was waiting for something. After the fix, no problem. Others have found the same to be true. I have some theories but don't know how the ECU is coded therefore all I can do is speculate.
Old 7/25/06, 02:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Yes, I can understand that type of attitude as well, BUT I didn't give them a TSB only referenced it. Stating I was experiencing that very thing and not just once, but several times. I also stated that it is happening after LONG trips, such as 30-45 minutes or more of constant highway speeds. I don't WANT or EXPECT them to take MY car out for that type of test trying to reproduce the hesitation. They fed me some BS about it should throw codes, but once again, has ANYONE had a code thrown when this happens? I think not. I don't pretend to know more than the service tech, but **** not every person that comes to the dealership is a complete moron. I think I was more upset about not having the car ALL day and absolulety nothing was fixed during that 10 hr stretch.
That's exactly what I told my advisor.

After I bought the car, I was working in Jackson, MS and still had my house north of New Orleans. Every weekend, I was driving either to or from home on long interstate runs. And on every run, the car would do it's hesitation game somewhere on the trip: Going home, merging onto I-12 from I-55, going to MS, either at the rest area I'd stop to pee at, or at the exit for my apartment.

Hopefully I'll get it resolved this week.
Old 7/25/06, 02:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well I finally had this TSB done 2 weeks ago and after making a few long trips I am happy to say............IT IS FIXED!
Old 7/26/06, 09:31 AM
V6 Member

I dropped my car off with my salesman/friend last night. Hopefully this time it'll be resolved.
Old 7/28/06, 08:59 PM
V6 Member

It's fixed!!!

The Service Advisor told my Salesman that Ford is difficult getting warranty repairs authorized if the tech can't reproduce the issue, and that's why it got turned down the first time. But it's taken care of now.

Quick Reply: Reproducing the Hesitation