Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Reproducing the Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/05, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This has happened to me twice since I've owned the car (picked up January 7th, 2005 and currently have nearly 15K on the clock). The first time was in traffic, I was first at the light and gunned it in first. The car moved about 50' then fell completely flat on its face, then recovered almost instantaneously. The other time was coming off an exit ramp from the interstate. Hit the gas, BAM - flat on its face, then recovered as quick as it fell. Very strange but nearly impossible to duplicate
Old 11/29/05, 12:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by jefffro@November 29, 2005, 2:02 PM
Not sure if this is related by I've noticed that my 05 GT seems to have a "dead spot" when accelerating with the cruise control on going about 70-75mph. I was on the interstate driving and I was going the same speed as the car in the next lane over so I wanted to get around them. I gently pushed on the throttle and the car was not responsive. I had to get on on it pretty good and then it finally responded. Has anyone else noticed this?
I've noticed that too when trying to pass someone while I have the cruise on. The time the hesitation happened to me , I was getting off on an exit and I had not turned the cruise off , just depressed the clutch and down shifted. That is why I was wondering if the two were related. However some of the other guy's didn't have the cruise on when the hesitation happened ...
Old 11/29/05, 12:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am tempted to find a day to take off of work and see if I can get a tech to ride along with me. The question is, should I put the stock airbox and tune back in the car? I know I can reproduce the problem with the C&L and 93 octane tune, but I have never tried with the stock airbox and stock tune. I'd assume, since some of you have no mods at all, it would be just as easy. I just don't want the dealer to open the hood and say, "oh, well, that's your problem."
Old 11/29/05, 06:23 PM
LMS

Guys the problem I'm experiencing with my 06 GT is more than just a dead spot, it's a violent jerking like someone is cycling the key switch on/off or a popping (backfiring) sound from the intake. Again, after it does it about three times in rapid session, it goes away and runs fine.
In all occassions, the TCS was on. Next drive from the airport, I'll turn off the TCS and see if I can duplicate the problem. I'll also take it back to the dealer, but I doubt that a local dealer will be able to fix it. Sounds more like a component design flaw.

L. Sims
Old 12/10/05, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Earlier I stated that I have this problem whether I use cruise control or not. Just yesterday I made my trip from Baltimore to Pittsburgh. I did not turn on cruise control once. I tried to hold as constant a speed as possible (about 72mph) and I DID NOT experience this problem at all. I did multiple 5 to 4 shifts and the car took off with no issues.

I'd say this narrows the issue down to how the computer deals with coming out of "cruise control mode."
Old 12/12/05, 05:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by pittperson@December 10, 2005, 10:44 AM
Earlier I stated that I have this problem whether I use cruise control or not. Just yesterday I made my trip from Baltimore to Pittsburgh. I did not turn on cruise control once. I tried to hold as constant a speed as possible (about 72mph) and I DID NOT experience this problem at all. I did multiple 5 to 4 shifts and the car took off with no issues.

I'd say this narrows the issue down to how the computer deals with coming out of "cruise control mode."
I think you might be right ... The only time it happened to me was with the cruise control on. Another thing I've noticed with the cruise on is when I try to accelerate a little to pass , it hesitates before responding to the throttle ...
Old 12/20/05, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MTAS@November 29, 2005, 2:16 PM
This has happened to me twice since I've owned the car (picked up January 7th, 2005 and currently have nearly 15K on the clock). The first time was in traffic, I was first at the light and gunned it in first. The car moved about 50' then fell completely flat on its face, then recovered almost instantaneously. The other time was coming off an exit ramp from the interstate. Hit the gas, BAM - flat on its face, then recovered as quick as it fell. Very strange but nearly impossible to duplicate
I had the hesitation twice today - exiting one freeway on to another and stepped on the gas to merge and it accelerates and then it cuts off the power and then it accelerates and then it cuts off the power and then it is OK. This is after cruising around 70 for 45 minutes. Any word on a fix from Frod for this?
Old 1/2/06, 09:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

I take back what I said a few weeks ago about the hesitation not happening when I don't touch the cruise control.....I didn't touch it today and the car did a nose dive on me! This is getting very frustrating, I cannot believe that Ford has not addressed this issue yet. :angry:
Old 1/5/06, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Auto V6, driving the other day on the highway and go steady at around 65, then I stepped on it; rpms drop and get little responce out of the gas pedal. I took my foot off the gas then tried again car bucks and then is fine. I don't know if my issue is coming from the tranny though, I get the same problem when I first start the car up, back out of the drive way and put it into drive and the car seems to shut off then after 2 seconds jumps into drive and goes fine. We need to get this addressed.
Old 1/6/06, 05:28 PM
GT Member

I too have had the hesitation/bucking issue and come to think of it it was mostly after a slow corner and then heavy throttle mashing. Would buck (kinda of feels like ignition stops) about three times or so...I'd back off the throttle thinking there was a problem then it would happen again.

Love to hear more info from people about this one! I was beginning to think I was crazy. Glad to hear it wasn't my racer-x driving!
Old 1/15/06, 03:32 PM
GT Member

I just had a hesitation begin Friday which is the day after I had my new FRPP exhaust installed. It hesitated in 2nd with heavy throttle. I wonder if my computer is still trying to recognize exhaust? :scratch:
Old 1/15/06, 05:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by jefffro@November 29, 2005, 12:02 PM
Not sure if this is related by I've noticed that my 05 GT seems to have a "dead spot" when accelerating with the cruise control on going about 70-75mph. I was on the interstate driving and I was going the same speed as the car in the next lane over so I wanted to get around them. I gently pushed on the throttle and the car was not responsive. I had to get on on it pretty good and then it finally responded. Has anyone else noticed this?
I think this particular(quoted above) problem is not a problem...I noticed it first time I used my cruise, and dont like it, but by design, its just how it will be. the drive by wire cruise holds throttle where it needs to be, but it dont hold the pedal like on conventional cars...so when you take your foot off the pedal is back at 'idle' yet throttle underhood is still open. if you leave cruise on and start to step on the gas to speed up a bit, you gotta move the pedal a long ways before it 'catches up' with the throttle, so it feels numb for about 1/2"~1" of initial travel. I hate the feel of this(or lack thereof) but thats just the way it is.

Some of the descriptions I read in hear sound like TCS doing its job...first time mine kicked on I thought WTF? almost felt like wheel hop but faster...very hard shudder. I see why many have TC default to off in the reflash- its a bit to limiting.

The other problem being described has got to be a tune issue(car cutting out at heavy throttle after cruising) surely it could be fixed by a reflash- but a lot of the handheld tuners cant modify the electronic throttle, so it is likely a thing Ford needs to do. I havent had the stumble issue yet, but only 300 miles on the car.
Old 1/16/06, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Update on my experience. I can make this happen after a slow right hand turn then acceleration. Like when I come off of a freeway on ramp and then accelerate. Interesting that is is always after turning right. Maybe hot air gets pushed over into the cold air intake box? Ideas?
Old 1/16/06, 10:52 AM
V6 Member

I had the same issue twice driving to jackson.

Getting on I-55 from I-12, I dropped the car into 3rd and accelerated hard to merge and it did the "cut out, fall on face, then accelerate" thing.

And to eliminate the CC from the picture, I stopped at a rest area and turned the car off. Took care of what I had to take care of and then got back in the car. Leaving the rest area, I accelerated hard in first gear and at about 3500 RPM, the car fell on it's face again.
Old 1/16/06, 11:09 AM
GT Member

Mine happens at about the same RPM - 3500 give or take a couple hundred.
Old 1/16/06, 03:31 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by SonicStanGirl@January 16, 2006, 10:18 AM
Update on my experience. I can make this happen after a slow right hand turn then acceleration. Like when I come off of a freeway on ramp and then accelerate. Interesting that is is always after turning right. Maybe hot air gets pushed over into the cold air intake box? Ideas?
you mighta hit on something there- my 85 camaro ALWAYS without fail let you know when it got to 1/8 tank, as accelerating on right hand turn car would stumble- fuel pump was starving...

with the dual tank/vapor setup on the mustang, wonder if something similar happens? next time try with tank(s) full. I dont understand yet what the vapor crap is under that black steel thing below the spare, but it looks as if somehow it is the only connection between the tank halves...perhaps one side runs low if fuel not sloshed around from cornering, and one of the pump pickups are starving? Imagine in around town/cornering that fuel would slosh over the 'hump' in the tank, but dunno if vapor system is also supposed to balance them?
Old 1/16/06, 04:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just did it again Friday night. Full tank of gas, straight line. I'm tired of this, I'm taking my car to the dealer this Friday and giving the tech a nice long ride to show him whats up. I'll keep everyone posted
Old 1/17/06, 04:45 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by pittperson@January 16, 2006, 5:14 PM
I just did it again Friday night. Full tank of gas, straight line. I'm tired of this, I'm taking my car to the dealer this Friday and giving the tech a nice long ride to show him whats up. I'll keep everyone posted

Please do keep us all posted! I'll keep making notes of the conditions when mine happens and hope others will too! :bang:
Old 1/19/06, 10:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

I put my car back to stock and cannot for the life of my reporduce the hesitation. So, as much as I hate to admit it, I think the C&L 93 octane tune is causing the problem.
Old 1/20/06, 03:42 PM
V6 Member

I put mine back to stock as well, and I can't make it do it either now.
I know for a fact it did it when it was "dead stock" too, but not as often.
I've got the JLT CAI, w/ the Diablo Tuner w/ a custom tune for a friend of mines car. I still think that I have a faulty throttle body motor/sensor, but it's hard to prove if you have to modify the car to show a dealership technician what the problem is.
I've had the service engine light come on in the past, I checked the code and it came up w/ a faulty throttle motor, but it might be hard to convince a dealership to warranty it because my Diablo Tuner said so, and "I promise, It hasn't been modified!!!"

Quick Reply: Reproducing the Hesitation