Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood Rusting On My 05 !

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/08, 11:41 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A perfect excuse to get an aftermarket hood
Old 2/22/08, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just checked mine and i got the tiny string of uneven-ness on the lip of the hood as well. looks like its back to the dealer. i cant believe this is happening to so many people.
Old 2/22/08, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

My jaw hit the floor when I saw that.. WOW!!! That is some disheartening stuff man..
Old 2/22/08, 11:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 65205
Thanks for posting,wouldn't have noticed 'til it was too late. Do you know where other aluminum panels are on the car? My husband said I should check the entire car before warranty is up in June. His thinking is-sure,get this spot fixed, then 6 months later it'll pop up elsewhere.Thanks again for the post, and thanks for any replies on the aluminum panels.
As far as i know, its just the hood for exterior body panels. Quick way to check: refrigerator magnet.
Old 2/23/08, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cavero
As far as i know, its just the hood for exterior body panels. Quick way to check: refrigerator magnet.
You think I would have just KNOWN that! I remember reading about buying classic Mustangs, and that was a good way to check for repaired areas. Thanks for the reply, I'm heading to the 'fridge now!
Old 2/23/08, 07:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dustindu4
A perfect excuse to get an aftermarket hood

Exactly what I was thinking. Now if I can just get my intake to "rust" so I can replace it with a supercharger...

Seriously, I have to wonder how many of the cars with this issue are driven year round in all weather. Could be a moisture infiltration / galvanic corrosion problem. As for my car - it stays dry in the summer and is stored all winter. I don't see any bubbles on mine.

Info on galvanic corrosion - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion
Old 2/23/08, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

This is my second winter with mine. I put a quick clean on her today and checked... So far so good. I always look at the bottom inside of the doors and trunk lid too.
Old 2/24/08, 01:04 AM
GT Member

I have the same thing on mine, it's small though, about 1/2" in the same spot on the hood as flight96.
Old 2/24/08, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
This looks like the same thing I had but mine was at the bottom of the drivers side door. I caught it with only 2000 miles on the car and had it fixed. I was told it was not rust but more the paint having a bad reaction to the aluminum, probable from poor prep. I was also told back then it was not exclusive to Mustangs but rather Ford Explorers had the issue as well.

I got mine fixed except I had to bring the car back 3 times for then to get it right but they butchered the clear coat worse each time. Over spray all over one time, more wheel marks then a nascar after 500 laps at Martinsville, and more orange peal then an orange grove down here in Florida. Anyway, The body shop that did my after market hood cleaned up the dealerships crap but non the less here are a couple pics of it at the bottom of my door inside and out.

Old 2/24/08, 09:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe the trunk lid is aluminum as well as the hood.
Old 2/24/08, 10:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I believe the trunk lid is aluminum as well as the hood.
NO
They sell magnetic panels to put on the back.
Old 2/25/08, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I looked under the hood of my '07 GT. Everything looked fine untile I actually looked underneath the hood, where the lip laps over itself (I guess that is how I would describe it). In a very thin section, it looks "krinkly" - not sure how to describe it. All the paint is there, and it is not bubbling. It looks like a bad weld or a spot where the paint krinkled. It is well out of site and underneath the actual hood, but I will keep an eye on it.

The problem, if it doesn't get any worse, is do you have the dealership fix it and run the risk of them not coming close to matching the factory tungsten paint? Since it is underneath and out of sight, maybe they can repair it without touching the visible portion of the hood.

I love my car, but so many little questions about parts quality and assembly quality have me constantly looking over my shoulder. Advice?
Old 2/25/08, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I saw a case of this first hand this weekend and my heart sank. Based on reading the TSB, it looks like there is no way for an owner to prevent this from occuring....

This is a bad issue
Old 2/25/08, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a product on the market which will stop the rust, POR-15. I am attaching a Link to their home page, so everyone can make their own decision on the product.

I just finished waxing her, and looked inside the hood and found the same "bad weld" as Jayhawk, so I am "assuming" it is the beginning stages of rust.

I have three days left on my 12/12 warranty, and it will go to the dealer. I am not sure I want them to mess with it and may just go the POR-15 route since it has not penetrated to the outside.

Here is the link: http://www.por15.com/
Old 2/25/08, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

That is the problem... is it truly rust? Or, as stated before, is it a blistering from iron oxide reacting with the aluminum? I wouldn't think a rust inhibitor would do that situation any good.
Old 2/25/08, 03:15 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...light=concerns

Here is the Chain to Start Complaining. If you Have a Concern you gotta Start Here. The Squeeky Wheel Gets the Grease. Start Squeeking!

BTW if you Pay for a Repair That you Think May turn into a Recall Make Sure and Save the Bill!!!!!!!

KC
Old 2/25/08, 03:34 PM

My hood (06 Black) looks to be in great shape; BUT, I do remember when I was washing it one time I heard / felt a mild crumpling under my hand as it passed over the hood - felt as if the paint wes separating from the hood - nothing visibile (as of yet) - thought I was imagining things - but now after this I am sure of it ! I guess time will tell. This will turn into another recall like chrysler had a few years back - but only after thousands of people get beat out of their own money ! This stinks ! I agree - POR 15 is awesome (I've used it many times). I also agree with the aftermarket hood being the way to go !
Old 2/25/08, 04:06 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
This Tsb Maybe Helpful!

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb04-09-06.pdf (10.8 KB, 2648 views)
Old 2/25/08, 04:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
This Tsb Maybe Helpful!

KC
I've seen this TSB before and I think it pertains to paint damage on the outside of the paint.
"This reaction creates an acid,causing the iron to corrode and etch into the paint"
The current problems relates to the metal surface prep prior to paint.
Just my take on it.
Old 2/25/08, 10:47 PM

JUST went out with the maglight in hand (9.40pm here) to check and see if i had the corrosion issue with my hood

and sure as the day is long I have a trail of bumps going down the front edge of the underside of the hood where it rolls back. 2005 32000 with just 3 months to 36

I will take a few pics tomorrow if i get a chance

CHECK YOUR CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The top the underside every where!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Hood Rusting On My 05 !