Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Ford and Mustang Trivia

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/07, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll go ahead and let runningwild's question go (just wanted to not be called out!)
Old 10/24/07, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HOSS429
i have to back up mike on this one .. the 52 ford is of a dif body style ..
I actually think this is a 51 year...I don't want to beat a dead horse but I do believe Greeny is correct. 52 was the END of this split windshield, since manufacturers learned how to produce curved glass..

I'm not nor would anyone call you out greeny. I am beginning to think your the HOLY GRAIL of Ford. (Don't get a swelled head (LOL)).

So are we gonna stay with my question of the hot rod lincoln or should greeny go ahead?
Old 10/24/07, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
Yee haw!

OK.

Every one is familiar with song by Commander Cody "Hot Rod Lincoln" ?
Name the the Year and Model of the car.....
In the late 1940s, he purchased a used 1941 Lincoln Zephyr four-door sedan. After a couple of years, he decided to make a hot rod out of it. He removed the Zephyr body, cut two feet off the frame to shorten the wheelbase and dropped a 1930 Ford Model A coupe body on it.
Old 10/24/07, 08:57 AM

I wasen't calling Mike out, I was just shocked when I thought we had a Q he didn't get. But as it turns out he was right after all, an I had been wrong. When I saw that pic of the '51 I knew it, that was the body style of my Uncle's old car I had thought was a '52 since I was a kid. So I called him and he verified it had been a '51.

Actually it would be Mike's go, but he has said he would let wild4.6's Q stand. If Mike is good with that I am.
Old 10/24/07, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DanK69RustangVert

Actually it would be Mike's go, but he has said he would let wild4.6's Q stand. If Mike is good with that I am.
Yes, not a problem.
Old 10/25/07, 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mberglo
In the late 1940s, he purchased a used 1941 Lincoln Zephyr four-door sedan. After a couple of years, he decided to make a hot rod out of it. He removed the Zephyr body, cut two feet off the frame to shorten the wheelbase and dropped a 1930 Ford Model A coupe body on it.

<!-- web15.bizjournals.int --><!-- BEGIN WEBSIDESTORY CODE v3.0.0 (pro)--><!-- COPYRIGHT 1997-2003 WEBSIDESTORY, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. U.S.PATENT No. 6,393,479 B1. Privacy notice at: http://websidestory.com/privacy --><SCRIPT language=javascript>var _pn="/mus/stories/2004/08/01/hmn_feature4.html"; //page name(s)var _mlc="CONTENT+CATEGORY"; //multi-level content categoryvar _cp="null"; //campaignvar _acct="WR57030657SC70EN3"; //account number(s)var _pndef="title"; //default page namevar _ctdef="full"; //default content categoryvar _prc=""; //commerce pricevar _oid=""; //commerce ordervar _dlf=""; //download filtervar _elf=""; //exit link filtervar _epg=""; //event page identifiervar _mn="wp180"; //machine namevar _gn="phg.hitbox.com"; //gateway namevar _hcv=68;function _wn(n){return((n.indexOf("NAME")>0&&n.indexOf("PUT ")>-1)||(n.indexOf("CONTENT")>-1&&n.indexOf("CATEGORY")>0))};function _gd(x,w){var _ed=x.lastIndexOf("/");var _be=(w!="full")?x.lastIndexOf("/",_ed-2):x.indexOf("/");return(_be==_ed)?"/":x.substring(_be,_ed);};function _gf(x){return x.substring(x.lastIndexOf("/")+1,x.length);};var _hl=location;var _lp=_hl.protocol.indexOf('https')>-1?'https://':'http://';var _zo=(new Date()).getTimezoneOffset();function _ps(_ip,_pml){return(_ip&&_wn(_pml))?((_pndef=="ti tle"&&document.title!="")?document.title:_gf(_hl.p athname)?_gf(_hl.pathname):_pndef)_wn(_pml)?_gd( _hl.pathname,_ctdef):_pml)};function _pm(m,_fml,h){if(m.indexOf(";")!=-1){_nml=m.substring(0,m.indexOf(";"));_rm=m.substr ing(m.indexOf(";")+1,m.length);_fml+=_ps(h,_nml)+" ;";return _pm(_rm,_fml,h);}else{return _fml+_ps(h,m);}};var _sv=10;var _hn=navigator;var _bn=_hn.appName;if(_bn.substring(0,9)=="Microsoft" ){_bn="MSIE";};var _bv=(Math.round(parseFloat(_hn.appVersion)*100));i f((_bn=="MSIE")&&(parseInt(_bv)==2))_bv=301;functi on _ex(v){return escape(v)};var _rf=_ex(document.referrer);_mlc=_pm(_mlc,"",0);_pn =_pm(_pn,"",1);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript1.1>_sv=11</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript1.1 src="http://stats.hitbox.com/js/hbp.js" defer></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript>if(_sv<11){if(document.cookie. indexOf("CP=")>-1){_ce="y";}else{document.cookie="CP=null*; path=/; expires=Wed, 1 Jan 2020 00:00:00 GMT";_ce=(document.cookie.indexOf("CP=")!=-1)?"y":"n";};if((_rf=="undefined")||(_rf=="")){_rf ="bookmark";};_x2="";_ar="&bn="+_ex(_bn)+"&bv="+_bv+"&ce="+_ce+"&ss=n a&sc=na&ja=na&sv="+_sv+"&con="+_ex(_mlc)+"&vcon="+ _ex(_mlc)+"&epg="+_epg+"&hp=u&cy=u&dt=&ln=na&cp="+ _ex(_cp)+"&pl=&prc="+_ex(_prc)+"&oid="+_ex(_oid)+" &rf="+_rf;document.write(_x2+_ar+_x3);}if(_bn!='Ne tscape'&&_bv>399)document.write("<!"+"--");</SCRIPT><!--<noscript>http://phg.hitbox.com/HG?hc=wp180&cd...NTENT+CATEGORY</noscript><!--//--><!-- END WEBSIDESTORY CODE -->
<!-- Extra Right Column - Tower Ads, etc. --><TABLE id=extra_right_column cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- SKYSCRAPER Ad 780 -->

Hot Rod Lincoln

<!-- Writer -->Hemmings Muscle Machines - AUGUST 1, 2004 - BY JIM DONNELLY

<!-- article tools --><!--    ARTICLE TOOLS
-->
Print This Article
<!-- Email This Article
--><!-- Most Popular
--><!-- RSS Feed
-->
Since Johnny Boyd first twanged it out in 1960, and Commander Cody passed it to a new generation some 15 years later, it has been applied to everything from a primered Model A to the forgotten LSC coupe of the Eighties. But the real, honest Hot Rod Lincoln was actually a series of remarkably stock Lincoln Capri hardtops that pulled Ford out of a self-imposed exile from racing that had lasted more than 15 years.
It was a glorious return for Ford, as a factory Lincoln-Mercury team eventually rose to dominance in La Carrera Panamericana, the fabled Mexican Road Race, the very last of the great long-distance competitions to be contested on public highways in North America. This Capri, which won the event's final running in 1954, was the race's top-finishing stock car, albeit in the hands of an unheralded privateer who hung on after Lincoln's factory juggernaut came to grief.
<TABLE align=left hspace="5"><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>In its earliest concept, the Carrera Panamericana was born as something of a national holiday, a world-class race to commemorate the opening of the Pan-American Highway in 1950, by today's standards a primitive strip of blacktop that snaked and arrowed its way through mountains and across deserts between the U.S. and Guatemalan borders. Run south-to-north from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Ciudad Juarez just south of El Paso, Texas, the Carrera began as a stock car race, with most of the entries adhering to NASCAR's year-old Strictly Stock rules. The winner, in an Oldsmobile 88, was Hershel McGriff, who continued racing until he retired in 2002 at age 76, and the lineup also included NASCAR founder Bill France, Sr., who partnered with Curtis Turner in a Nash.
Also in the 123-car field was Long Beach, California, mechanic Bill Stroppe, a sycophant of the cam-grinding prodigy Clay Smith, arguably America's first post-war team-organization savant. Stroppe and Smith were maintaining the Carrera entry of Johnny Mantz, who had won the first NASCAR Southern 500, a 1950 Lincoln that was the personal car of Inglewood, California, Mercury dealer and speed enthusiast Bob Estes. The Mantz-Stroppe team was hampered by blown tires and Montezuma's Revenge. But Stroppe was determined to come back.
He would partner with Troy Ruttman in 1951, who, with Smith, would finish fourth in a Mercury lifted from a used-car lot. In 1952, Smith and Chuck Stevenson would team for fifth overall in a Stroppe-prepared Lincoln Capri, the first stock car to finish. Stroppe parlayed his relationship with Estes into a meeting with Lincoln-Mercury general manager Benson Ford, and left with a commitment for a factory-backed Lincoln team to contest the 1953 Mexican Road Race. It would mark Ford's first official race since its team of flathead-powered Millers embarrassingly fell out of the 1935 Indianapolis 500.
Stroppe was loaded for bear in 1953, and mounted a four-car assault with some of America's most feared drivers in the seats: Mantz, Stevenson, Walt Faulkner and Indianapolis 500 winner Bill Vukovich. Lincolns, including privateers, amounted to 22 entries and swept the top four stock car slots, led by Stevenson. By this time, the Carrera had bloomed into a truly world-class event despite its antediluvian geography. International competitors raced everything from brutish 4.9-liter Ferraris to tiny, 1,000cc OSCA roadsters. Umberto Magioli took the overall win in a Ferrari 375, but Lincoln swept the top four stock car spots with Stevenson again leading the way.
This Lincoln Capri, now part of the National Automotive Museum collection in Reno, Nevada, was prepared for the 1954 Carrera under a pall of grief, as Smith was killed when Stevenson's runaway AAA Championship car struck him in the pits at DuQuoin, Illinois. Stroppe and future Ford racing chieftain Don Francisco undertook the preparation of six factory Lincolns and several privateer cars, one purchased by Los Angeles supermarket entrepreneur Ray Crawford, a veteran of several Carreras. Vukovich led the factory challenge.
The hulking, 4,250-pound Capris were prepped to withstand thousands of frequently airborne miles that saw them dodging-or sometimes, not-boulders, burros and buzzards, to say nothing of the screaming hordes lining the course. Double Houdaille shocks were employed at each wheel. Both the 317-cu.in. OHV V-8s, rated at 205hp and fitted with a Clay Smith cam and Ford F8 truck cam followers, and the General Motors-built Hydra-Matic transmissions were dyno-tested. An additional 50-gallon fuel tank replaced the rear seat, and a two-way radio went into the trunk.
Stroppe's preparation didn't anticipate that all teams would be forced to draw their starting fuel from a single tank in Tuxtla that was contaminated with sediments. All the factory cars, save Vukovich's, fell out the first day with burned pistons. Vukovich would later sail off a mountainside to end his race. At Juarez, Crawford took the stock car category over Faulkner, with Magioli again the overall winner, this time over a young Phil Hill.
Few knew it as the dust settled, but the Carrera had raced straight into obsolescence. As Leo Levine recounted in his masterly history Ford: The Dust and the Glory, "The race had become too unwieldy, and crowd control was almost impossible...It was one of the greatest chapters in auto racing history, and one of the shortest."
It also provided the venue for a racing resurgence by Ford, the first step in its rise to eminence over the coming 15 years.
This article originally appeared in the AUGUST 1, 2004 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines.
Old 10/25/07, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

Next Question Then!

During the forties and fifties Car manufactures liked to give names to their engines, ie Rocket, Hemi, etc.

What name was used for Ford s flat head V-8 and Staight 6 of that time?
Old 10/25/07, 07:17 AM
Cobra Member

Charlie Ryan wrote the song and owned the car.

Hot Rod Lincoln - The Car & The Song
The creator of Hot Rod Lincoln is Charlie Ryan. He fashioned both the car and the song.
Charlie Ryan is a musician, songwriter and a car guy. In the late 1940s, he purchased a used 1941 Lincoln Zephyr four-door sedan. After a couple of years, he decided to make a hot rod out of it. He removed the Zephyr body, cut two feet off the frame to shorten the wheelbase and dropped a 1930 Ford Model A coupe body on it. At first, the car was painted black with red wheels. Charlie installed a '48 V-12 engine in it along with the 3 speed + overdrive '48 transmission. The car has a lot of Lincoln touches on it, including cut-down Zephyr bumpers, a Lincoln emblem on the radiator, an the Lincoln greyhound radiator ornament. The interior has a narrowed '41 Zephyr dashboard. At first, the car was painted black with red wheels. Later, in 1960, the car was repainted red. It was repainted again in 1986 in Datsun Z-car red. Charlie says, "The paint's the only Japanese thing on it."
While he was working on the car, Charlie was thinking about the song. By the early 1950s, he had the lyrics worked out and began performing it. Charlie Ryan recorded 'Hot Rod Lincoln' in 1955; it was released as a single by Souvenir Records in 1957. It became a major hit in many regions of the United States. While traveling to perform, Charlie and his wife Ruthie often took the Hot Rod Lincoln on tour. By 1960, it needed another engine. Charlie installed a 1939 Lincoln V-12. It's still powering the car today.
Other car songs were written before Charlie's, everything from 'My Merry Oldsmobile' (1903) to Jackie Brentson's 'Rocket 88' (1951 - and, with Ike Turner on keyboard, it's considered by many to be the very first rock n' roll song). But 'Hot Rod Lincoln' was the first car song to become a major hit and make the Billboard top ten list.
'Hot Rod Lincoln' has been performed by many artists - Johnny Bond had a regional hit with the song in 1959; Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen covered it in 1972. In the 80s, Asleep At The Wheel did a very nice version. In 1995, Jim Varney (Ernest) recorded a cover which was used in 'The Beverly Hillbillies' movie.
Today, at 83 years old, Charlie Ryan is semi-retired - but he still occasionally performs the song. At the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club's 1994 National Meet in Silverdale Washington, Charlie brought the car and gave a live performance of 'Hot Rod Lincoln' - to the cheers of a room filled with over 300 Lincoln enthusiasts. Charlie and Ruthie (married 62 years) have been awarded lifetime memberships in our Club.
They spend their summers at their Spokane, Washington home - their winters are spent relaxing in Arizona. And, after all these years, they still have the car.
We hope that Charlie will never "quit drivin' that - Hot ... Rod ... Lincoln!"

I don't have a question, and don't want to come up with one, so we'll let it go.
Old 10/25/07, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you read this closely:

Since Johnny Boyd first twanged it out in 1960, and Commander Cody passed it to a new generation some 15 years later, it has been applied to everything from a primered Model A to the forgotten LSC coupe of the Eighties. But the real, honest Hot Rod Lincoln was actually a series of remarkably stock Lincoln Capri hardtops that pulled Ford out of a self-imposed exile from racing that had lasted more than 15 years.

I think you'll see that he's not really saying that the Capri was the object of the song, just that the term "Hot Rod Lincoln" has been used to describe several cars over the years. So I'd have to go with Mber on this one.
Old 10/25/07, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mgreene
If you read this closely:

I think you'll see that he's not really saying that the Capri was the object of the song, just that the term "Hot Rod Lincoln" has been used to describe several cars over the years. So I'd have to go with Mber on this one.

That fine. . I didn't have a problem with Mberglo's answer before. I wasn't trying to be finicky.. I put it up as more as a FYI
Old 10/25/07, 06:59 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
ok .. big group hug then .. what was the size of the engine of the first pinto`s from ford ?..
Old 10/26/07, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok .. big group hug then .. what was the size of the engine of the first pinto`s from ford ?..
2.0 Litre ?
Old 10/26/07, 12:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mgreene
Here's my start:

Sunbeam Tiger
Bricklin
TVR
Griffith 200
Griffith 400
Detomaso Mangusta
Detomaso Longchamp
Panoz Esperante
AC 428 (Frua)
Intermeccanica Italia
Intermeccanica Murena
Detomaso Pantera GT5 (Pantera, Pantera L, and Pantera GTS were sold in US Ford Lincoln-Mercury dealerships)
Detomaso Pantera GT5-S

More to come...
Just for the benefit of those interested there were two other Ford powered DeTomaso cars, the Beauville, a sedan upon which the Longchamp was based, and the first DeTomaso the Vallelunga, a small mid-engined job running a Ford four cylinder mill.
Old 10/26/07, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

How about 1.6L

Is a 426 hemi an option? (lol)
Old 10/26/07, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Just for the benefit of those interested there were two other Ford powered DeTomaso cars, the Beauville, a sedan upon which the Longchamp was based, and the first DeTomaso the Vallelunga, a small mid-engined job running a Ford four cylinder mill.
I did know about the Vallelunga, but I think it was powered by the English Kent 4 cylinder. The original ? was Name as many cars as you can that came with ford(USA) engines only. If we went with non-USA Ford engines then that would open up lots more including Lotus, etc.
Old 10/27/07, 03:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

1.6 and 2.0 are good answers .. i guess there`s no way to know what the very first pinto had .. either of you can go ..
Old 10/27/07, 07:36 PM
Cobra Member

Is that the same as "Who cares?"
Old 10/28/07, 07:11 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Mberglo
Is that the same as "Who cares?"
sort of .. it`s lets us move foward answer..
Old 10/28/07, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
Next Question Then!

During the forties and fifties Car manufactures liked to give names to their engines, ie Rocket, Hemi, etc.

What name was used for Ford s flat head V-8 and Staight 6 of that time?

I don't believe we had an answer yet for this
Old 12/8/07, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1964 1/2 Mustangs

Name at least 3 items unique to '64 1/2 Mustangs. kennyg

Quick Reply: Ford and Mustang Trivia