Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Ford and Mustang Trivia

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/07, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A number of common aluminum parts on Fords in the 1950s through mid 1970s had the word SHEFFIELD cast into them in raised relief. What does SHEFFIELD denote?
Old 12/24/07, 10:03 AM

Well, here is an out and out guess:

There was a Sheffield aluminum casting in AL that closed in the early 80s,
did the parts come from them?
Old 12/24/07, 11:05 AM

Correct. I had friends that worked there.

Some people advertise Sheffield marked parts on ebay® described as being made by the Sheffield company. They don't know enough to understand that Sheffield was just the Ford casting plant.

The tragic side story....
When Ford cut off the Muscle Parts™ program circa 1972 they recalled everything unsold. I was told by employees at the Sheffield plant that thousands of aluminum valve covers and intake manifolds were sent to Sheffield for recycling. The stuff was melted down to make Pinto castings etc. Anyway, there was a flood of "lunch box" C9OX intakes being sold around the Huntsville area. One man came to an early Mustang gathering and had the trunk of his car full of them for sale for $20 to $40 each depending on whether or not they had any damage from being put in baskets awaiting the furnance. I saw one double over head cam Indy engine cylinder head that was saved from the furnance and a NASCAR only intake for FE engines that didn't even have a part number on it.

Your back up....
Old 12/24/07, 01:16 PM

Wow, that really was correct? - It truly was a guess.

1st the reason for the guess:
My Grandfather worked as an overhead crane operator for the Sheffield Steel mill in Kansas City, MO until his death in 1970. As a boy of about 8 or 9 I remember "helping" my Dad work on a car. One of the parts had the word SHEFFIELD on it. I asked if Grandpa had made that part, my Dad told me "No, that's another Company". Years later I remember hearing that the SHEFFIELD plant had closed, I thought that interesting since by that time the KC steel mill was known by ARMCO steel (Later as GST) then read that it was the SHEFFIELD Aluminum casting plant in AL that had actually closed. - Strange that your Q brought all that back to mind.

On to my Q:

In '68 these pony's had the DSO designation of -51-, they were sold with the standard equipment of the 6cyl engine and plain hubcaps but these cars were not plain. Describe the "Emblem" that made them different than any other Mustang.
Old 12/26/07, 08:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Like this?
Attachment 37206
Attached Images  
Old 12/27/07, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about '68 High Country Specials as they were essential California Specials which had GT wheels, and lots of other GT equipment (i.e., not equipped as 6 cylinders. - You could, in fact, get High Country Specials with 428CJ engines in '68).
Old 12/27/07, 07:05 AM

Yes, the high country special.

The STANDARD equip. was a 6cyl BUT all regular Mustang options were avail. so YES you could get the 428CJ if you ordered it. While the caps look GT style they had no GT letters on them.

Karman - your go.

Yea, I know - the "Plain hubcaps" part was a little cheesy, but some of you guys are just too good to give away too much.
Dan
Old 12/27/07, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess a little misunderstanding on my part - this is what I would consider plain hubcaps on a '68 (the standard ones):

as opposed to the non-GT caps on the extra cost styled steel wheels:

Old 12/28/07, 06:25 AM

mgreene - I was looking at the same page you got your photo from (pg. 131 of the Recognition Guide) when I posted the Q. The text below the High Country Special emblem reads:
"Like the California Special, the High Country Special was Available only as a hardtop. In standard form, the car was sold as a base Mustang with plain hubcaps and 6 cylinder engine, but most Mustang options were offered." - It then mentions the 51 DSO for Denver delivery.

I would think that a 6cyl. would have had "Plain" hubcaps as the '68 Styled Steel (GT) wheel would have been a 5 bolt pattern? At the same time I imagine that a '68 High Country Special originally ordered with a 6 cyl. and plain hubcaps would be a rare car indeed.

Karman's go...

BTW - When I worked for the Co. that printed for Dobb's Publications (Mustang Publications / Keepin' Track of Vettes, etc.) I worked on binding the 1st edition of the Recog. Guide, then did press plate making and then camera work on later editions, including film reproduction of the photo of the High Country Special posted above.
Old 1/4/08, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the hottest toys at Christmas in 1964 was the Mustang Pedal Car. How many were made? kennyg
Old 1/12/08, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by kennyg
One of the hottest toys at Christmas in 1964 was the Mustang Pedal Car. How many were made? kennyg
Hey, I thought it was my turn...
I guess I went to slowly.
The number I keep seeing on the net is @93,000 pedal cars.
If they made so many, how come I didn't get one then?
Oh, I remember my parents had already bought me one the first ELECTRIC powered cars.
(Actually by Christmas 1964 I was already in grade school and a little too old for a pedal car.)
My question:
A lot of special Mustangs have i.d. or serial# plates in the engine bay.
What did the Boss 429 plate denote that was on no other Mustang ever.
(This should be easy one.)
Old 1/13/08, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Karman, It was/is your turn. I was just keeping the thread from getting lost. You are correct on the 93,000 pedal cars.
Originally Posted by karman
Hey, I thought it was my turn...
I guess I went to slowly.
The number I keep seeing on the net is @93,000 pedal cars.
If they made so many, how come I didn't get one then?
Oh, I remember my parents had already bought me one the first ELECTRIC powered cars.
(Actually by Christmas 1964 I was already in grade school and a little too old for a pedal car.)
My question:
A lot of special Mustangs have i.d. or serial# plates in the engine bay.
What did the Boss 429 plate denote that was on no other Mustang ever.
(This should be easy one.)
Are you looking for the letters KK for Kar Kraft? kennyg
Old 1/13/08, 07:24 PM

Karman, It was/is your turn. I was just keeping the thread from getting lost. You are correct on the 93,000 pedal cars.Are you looking for the letters KK for Kar Kraft? kennyg
Well yes, but more specifically the word after KK.
I think all of them had the plate on the doorjam, but I've seen them under the hood also.
Old 1/14/08, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Kk Nascar ?
Old 1/17/08, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by mgreene
Kk Nascar ?
Yeah, I can't think of any other Mustang that had NASCAR on it.
(There was that funny F150 though).
Technically you answered the unique thing I was looking for so you're next, unless you think really Kenny should because i.d.'ed which plate.
(Maybe I should just answer questions instead of asking them.)
Old 1/18/08, 12:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

True or false : all 1966 Hertz (GT-350H) Shelbys had gold side stripes?
Old 1/19/08, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

True or false : all 1966 Hertz (GT-350H) Shelbys had gold side stripes?
True. Black, red, green, blue, and were there white Hertz cars, all came with gold side stripes, Lemans stripes were optionally installed at the dealer. '?' kennyg
Old 1/19/08, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

True. Black, red, green, blue, and were there white Hertz cars, all came with gold side stripes, Lemans stripes were optionally installed at the dealer. '?' kennyg
Sorry, nope, False! There were at least 20 of the very early cars that were white with blue stripes. Here is a pic of one that's in the Shelby Museum in Las Vegas:

Old 1/22/08, 06:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK, here's another. What famous hot rodder let Shelby use his shop for construction of the very first Cobra, CSX2000? Bonus : Add a pic of his famous logo.
Old 1/23/08, 03:58 AM
Bullitt Member

OK, here's another. What famous hot rodder let Shelby use his shop for construction of the very first Cobra, CSX2000? Bonus : Add a pic of his famous logo.
Dean Moon. Although it was not technically "constructed" there. The car chassis was modified and tested in the UK. Then after testing was complete, the car was shipped to LA without an engine or transmission. It was in Dean Moon's shop that the car recieved it's next engine and transmission.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Ford and Mustang Trivia