2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync 4.4 Update.

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/15, 05:25 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The iPhone texting is supported, but it takes a couple of steps to set up.

Go to Advanced setting for the phone on SYNC, scroll down until you find something about MAP. Enable that, then you can turn on text messaging. If you try to enable text messaging first, it might say your phone is not supported.

You may have to unpair your phone from the phone side and set it back up. If the two things above are turned on, withinn the Sync item listed in your iPhone's Bluetooth settings will be an item called "show notifications". Turn it on. Testing should work. BTW, that actually worked before the 4.4 update, but it took me until a month ago to figure it out with the help of one of Ford's reps here on the site.

Here's what I have after a successful install of 4.4(both system info screens):
Attached Thumbnails Sync 4.4 Update.-sync4.4.jpg   Sync 4.4 Update.-sync4.4-screen-2.jpg  

Last edited by SpectreH; 3/23/15 at 05:31 AM.
Old 3/23/15, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
The iPhone texting is supported, but it takes a couple of steps to set up. Go to Advanced setting for the phone on SYNC, scroll down until you find something about MAP. Enable that, then you can turn on text messaging. If you try to enable text messaging first, it might say your phone is not supported. You may have to unpair your phone from the phone side and set it back up. If the two things above are turned on, withinn the Sync item listed in your iPhone's Bluetooth settings will be an item called "show notifications". Turn it on. Testing should work. BTW, that actually worked before the 4.4 update, but it took me until a month ago to figure it out with the help of one of Ford's reps here on the site. Here's what I have after a successful install of 4.4:

That's never worked for me on an iPhone 5 but I will try it again.
Old 3/23/15, 05:33 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tom281
That's never worked for me on an iPhone 5 but I will try it again.

I have a 5S. I could never get it to work until I scrolled further and activated MAP "something". After that, everything fell into place as advertised.
Old 3/23/15, 05:35 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Let me add I have found one thing not working with this update: I cannot pause music playing over Bluetooth. It will stop/start just fine under USB, but keeps right on playing if I hit pause while streaming.
Old 3/23/15, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The iPhone texting is supported, but it takes a couple of steps to set up.

Go to Advanced setting for the phone on SYNC, scroll down until you find something about MAP. Enable that, then you can turn on text messaging. If you try to enable text messaging first, it might say your phone is not supported.

You may have to unpair your phone from the phone side and set it back up. If the two things above are turned on, withinn the Sync item listed in your iPhone's Bluetooth settings will be an item called "show notifications". Turn it on. Testing should work. BTW, that actually worked before the 4.4 update, but it took me until a month ago to figure it out with the help of one of Ford's reps here on the site.

I have try to delete the phone from sync, then forget the device on the phone. Then re-paired the phone in sync, went in the menu to activate MAP and if I try to turn on text message it give me an error that it is "not supported with this device"

So no luck with my iPhone 5s
Old 3/23/15, 08:02 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Dineau
I have try to delete the phone from sync, then forget the device on the phone. Then re-paired the phone in sync, went in the menu to activate MAP and if I try to turn on text message it give me an error that it is "not supported with this device"

So no luck with my iPhone 5s

One last idea....after activating MAP, does your iPhone have the "Show Notifications" option under SYNC in Bluetooth settings?

If so, turn it on, then try turning the Text Messaging on the SYNC system.
Attached Images  
Old 3/23/15, 08:06 AM
GT Member

No Nav. worked for me. I unplugged the USB at one point when I thought it was done, and it told me to reinsert the USB stick, so I did. it did the whole "Installation Complete" thing pretty much one right after the other. No waiting in between.
Old 3/23/15, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

One last idea....after activating MAP, does your iPhone have the "Show Notifications" option under SYNC in Bluetooth settings?

If so, turn it on, then try turning the Text Messaging on the SYNC system.
Before the update I was receiving some text messages but with no phone number details, but have never been able to send messages.

Can you send text messages with the new update on your 5s ?
Old 3/23/15, 08:26 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Before the update I was receiving some text messages but with no phone number details, but have never been able to send messages.

So far I haven't been able to reply to a text...but it came from another iPhone so I wonder if it has to do with iMessage vs a normal SMS text.

Edit: Phone info now showing up for texts and emails, so replying might work now. Also, I rebooted my phone and I can pause/play over streaming Bluetooth.

Last edited by SpectreH; 3/23/15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 3/23/15, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Texting back only comes in the form of templates ford has built-in the system. This is one of the templates I tried, the signature is added by the system
Attached Images  
Old 3/23/15, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

One more thing, there was a MAP On/Off feature before I updated it was set to Off, would that have done the trick this whole time??
Old 3/23/15, 11:38 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
One more thing, there was a MAP On/Off feature before I updated it was set to Off, would that have done the trick this whole time??

Yes, I believe so. It got mine working prior to the update. None of the online instructions mentioned that setting. I stumbled upon it by accident and gave it a shot after a Ford SYNC rep mentioned that I was running version 4.1.3 at the time and that it supported MAP.
Old 3/23/15, 12:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you have 4.1.3 and it shows no updates available, is there a work around to get 4.4?
Old 3/23/15, 12:44 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
If you have 4.1.3 and it shows no updates available, is there a work around to get 4.4?

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. I logged into the Ford owner website and it said I had an update available.
Old 3/23/15, 12:50 PM
Cobra Member

How far back does master install go?
Old 3/23/15, 12:55 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
How far back does master install go?

Good question....I've never tried that. Does it revert back to what came on the car or just wipe out any current settings and reinstall the current software?
Old 3/23/15, 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. I logged into the Ford owner website and it said I had an update available.
That's were I got my update info.
Old 3/23/15, 04:24 PM
Cobra Member

i went to ford today they are willing to install the latest one but at a cost.. boo because I know it doesnt require labor
Old 3/23/15, 05:07 PM
GT Member

Tried to update my '12 with Nav. It went quicker than stated and it didn't drop the .xml file it was supposed to on my USB. Guess I'll try it again tomorrow...my SW number doesn't match the pics either...

Last edited by 12GTCS; 3/23/15 at 05:08 PM.
Old 3/23/15, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 12GTCS
Tried to update my '12 with Nav. It went quicker than stated and it didn't drop the .xml file it was supposed to on my USB. Guess I'll try it again tomorrow...my SW number doesn't match the pics either...
CHECK inside SyncMyRie FOLDER!!!

so we're trying to achieve the same FPN number right?

Quick Reply: Sync 4.4 Update.