2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/11, 02:40 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by brycerichert
BTW.... Mustangs owners are supposed to post ANY trans. issues, small or large, to the NHSTA now, regardless of safety issues or not, as per Jxxxxx.

It's a race to the bottom. I think I saw someone post "I had to use my right hand to engage shifter, this is a very dangerous situation and one that might endanger my life". (this occurred while a jet fuel ladden tanker truck with babies on top was coming down on me fast while turning left)
I'm still waiting on the 20/20 expose that was supposedly about to happen anytime. Of course he once mentioned for people to contact NBC in reference to it, but 20/20 is on ABC. You'd think if there was any truth to it, he'd know what freaking network it was on. I don't know if its just fame seeking like these people obsessed with getting a reality show, or if its buyer's remorse/can't afford the car he got into and now wants a way out of it for free.

Oh, well. At least its entertaining.
Old 10/11/11, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottward
Maybe the MT-82 just needs to be raced more. This from a Corvette guy:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578852445-post34.html

Good morning everyone..

Here is some more Grist for the mill.. I love my corvettes and we work on a lot of them, but...

FYI we took a 2011 Mustnag GT to the SCCA runoffs this year. It is a great car and very reliable.

Here are some real life data points...

---we have had NO transmission problems in 11 races.

---For a live rear axle, the car handles VERY well.. You will be surprised.

---The ford 5.0 engine is also very reliable. Tuned, we make about 380hhp at the rear wheels with a restrictor and it revs to 7200 RPMs. 10 races and no issues. None.

---Lap times at Road america were in the 2:27 to 2:28 range. Not far off most c5 T-1 corvettes. About as fast as the porsches 996's and the 370Z.

we use Penske shocks, Hawk brake pads, Ford suspension components and a Torsen rear diff. Car weighs 3650 with driver and no fuel (scca mandated weight) and 150 pounds of ballast.

All in all it has been an EXCELLENT experience racing it. No wheel bearing issues, no engine issues, no transmission issues.. The only real problem was a slave cylinder that leaked after 10 races and occasionally warped stock rotors from heavy usage..

At approximately $31000 with the brembo package this is a great car for he street, and easily upgraded to track day staus..

Ford has done a great job with it.

Joe

You need to forward it too fanboy .....But then he would get on that website ruin it there too
Old 10/11/11, 03:11 PM
V6 Member

BTW.... Mustangs owners are supposed to post ANY trans. issues, small or large, to the NHSTA now, regardless of safety issues or not, as per Jxxxxx.

It's a race to the bottom. I think I saw someone post "I had to use my right hand to engage shifter, this is a very dangerous situation and one that might endanger my life". (this occurred while a jet fuel ladden tanker truck with babies on top was coming down on me fast while turning left)

Thats funny LOL.

It's getting to be a joke seeing poeple posting complains on NHSTA like this. They think by writing it this way is going to get something done. It looks more and more as fault report I'm sure NHSTA see this too.

I'm wonder how he could have went through 4 trans in 5,000 miles with all the internet whining he does jxxxxx. Where does he find the time
Old 10/11/11, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just came home from the dealers. I had the Fluid TSB done this afternoon. I have not had any problems, with the exception of the cold shift difficulty in winter. Since I drive the car all year, and it does get cold here, I decided to try the fluid change. So far so good. Drove 20 miles home in the city and on the Interstate. No noise and it shifted fine with a temp at 68 degress F. I used the Ford fluid as the car is still under warranty, and will be for 7/100 with the ESP.

Good service from my dealer, who called me this morning and told me the fluid was in and then scheduled me for this afternoon, while I waited for the car.

I am concerned about the clutch after seeing the Capt's photos...they are unbelievable. But again, after 14000+ miles everything "seems" fine. It would be nice to know if the problem was heat related (i.e., extremely hot outside temps).

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 10/11/11 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Comments on Clutch
Old 10/11/11, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to report you to Matero and that means more points on AFM.
Old 10/11/11, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Yep. the reports are getting to the point where people are blaming their own mistakes and misunderstandings on Ford. There are legit sounding ones in there but it takes pulling them out of the noise.
Old 10/12/11, 06:53 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I just came home from the dealers. I had the Fluid TSB done this afternoon. I have not had any problems, with the exception of the cold shift difficulty in winter. Since I drive the car all year, and it does get cold here, I decided to try the fluid change. So far so good.
Hey SD CALSPCL,

Glad to hear your ride is running like a champ. Let me know if you ever need me.

Deysha
Old 10/12/11, 11:40 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey SD CALSPCL,

Glad to hear your ride is running like a champ. Let me know if you ever need me.

Deysha
oh no's!

the track key zombies will enter the thread.
Old 10/12/11, 07:45 PM

I will not be suprise that alot of NHTSA complains are from the same few people. In AFM, there are a few guys with 10+ SN trashing Ford everyday. Don't be surprise if one or two person post up half of the complains. Some of them are funny as hell.

Last edited by nycuser; 10/12/11 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10/12/11, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nycuser
I will not be suprise that alot of NHTSA complains are from the same few people. In AFM, there are a few guys with 10+ SN trashing Ford everyday. Don't be surprise if one or two person post up half of the complains. Some of them are funny as hell.
The NHTSA requires VIN numbers and as I skimmed through the request to Ford it looks like the NHTSA or Ford will be cross referencing them. Any fakes should be discovered. Many of the reports just sound like they were written by people unfamiliar with manual transmissions or having issues adapting to 6spd and likely reported due to the generation of noise. There are also some that are very legit sounding, and those are the ones I've found to be a concern.
Old 10/12/11, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey SD CALSPCL,

Deysha

Thank you Deysha..but all is well. I took the car up into the Black Hills today and put 130 miles on it, with lots of shifting, and it is very smooth. It was only down in the 40's this morning, but I did notice it was a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd while cold. So far, so good with the lighter fluid.
Old 10/12/11, 09:53 PM

I hope these guys are not the ones responsible for building the MT-82....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/luxury...ks-immediately

Last edited by Scottward; 10/12/11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10/13/11, 06:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
oh no's!
the track key zombies will enter the thread.
Nooooo!!!!

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Thank you Deysha..but all is well. I took the car up into the Black Hills today and put 130 miles on it, with lots of shifting, and it is very smooth. It was only down in the 40's this morning, but I did notice it was a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd while cold. So far, so good with the lighter fluid.
Awesome!! Happy to know you can enjoy it to the fullest now!

Deysha
Old 10/13/11, 01:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brains! BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanzzzzzz!

The track key zombies want braaains..
Old 10/13/11, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Since this thread has turned into a " general discussion" topic, it should be moved to that section. Just sayin'.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 10/13/11 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10/13/11, 02:39 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Since this thread has turned into a " general discussion" topic, it should be moved to that section. Just Bichin'.

Fixed.
Old 10/13/11, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT12
The NHTSA requires VIN numbers and as I skimmed through the request to Ford it looks like the NHTSA or Ford will be cross referencing them. Any fakes should be discovered. Many of the reports just sound like they were written by people unfamiliar with manual transmissions or having issues adapting to 6spd and likely reported due to the generation of noise. There are also some that are very legit sounding, and those are the ones I've found to be a concern.
I even saw one where they are making fun of J.D. How do you explain that? There's millions of Vin number on ebay, Ford.com or just google for one. The J.D army will do anything to support their god. I will not be surprised that most of them are bogus. I am not saying they are all BS, i am sure alot of them are from real people.

Last edited by nycuser; 10/13/11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10/13/11, 05:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The relevance of this thread decreases every day. If something major changes, we'll see a new post out of it. I've considered closing it, since jmatero and his followers don't really deserve any publicity any more.
Old 10/13/11, 05:36 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
There are over 700 posts on this thread. Don't kill all the fun now. In the midst of all this carrying on, there is a few good updates here and there. It's not hurting anything. Let it ride man.
Old 10/13/11, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
The relevance of this thread decreases every day. If something major changes, we'll see a new post out of it. I've considered closing it, since jmatero and his followers don't really deserve any publicity any more.
Totally agreed. They don't deserve anyone's time.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems