2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/11, 01:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
YOu can bet your *** i will never buy one with a Mt82 and you can take that to the bank.
Just a question, and not trying to start anything, but you're all upset about transmission problems and you don't even have a car with the MT82 transmission in it?
Old 9/9/11, 03:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-331-29psi
Just a question, and not trying to start anything, but you're all upset about transmission problems and you don't even have a car with the MT82 transmission in it?
And on top of that... he ignores those that have not had any issues and focus' on the few that have.
Old 9/9/11, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
And on top of that... he ignores those that have not had any issues and focus' on the few that have.
While I don't have great love for the MT82 from a durability standpoint, I do love that 1) ford seems to be taking care of those of us with issues and 2) I have a 400rwhp mustang with a 6 speed transmission that I could afford.

I don't understand his sentiment on the deal.
Old 9/9/11, 06:16 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The truth may well lie somewhere in between of what we all think and read. For the life of me I dont understand why Ford is silent on the issue. I guess they have to be now with the investigation and all.
90% of what you are reading are people emotions taking control and venting. Ford is silent becuase its a pretty small issue. From the number everyone is trying to hype its about 2% or less. I am guessing less then 1%. Ford cannot back a big deal about something that is not a big deal.

If they had found a design flaw or somethign big the "investigation and all" would not be taking this long. If they found something on day 1 we would of heard something.
Old 9/9/11, 06:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put up a post a couple of weeks ago and here's my update. The car shifted beautifully for about 11000 miles, then it suddenly was terrible. I took it to the Ford dealer and they found that several of the flywheel bolts were loose, which cause two of the pressure plate guide pins to shear off. This in turn caused damage to the pilot bearing and slave cylinder. Ford replaced the flywheel, pressure plate, disc, slave cylinder, and throw out bearing. It was all taken care of under warranty with no attempt whatsoever to get out of covering it. The clutch/flywheel assembly as back-ordered so I had to wait a while before they could fix it. Anyway, I've got it back, we went on a road trip (maybe 800 miles) and it's just like new.

I'm sorry if some folks are having trouble with their dealer not fixing their car, but mine took good care of me.
Old 9/9/11, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by RandyW
I put up a post a couple of weeks ago and here's my update. The car shifted beautifully for about 11000 miles, then it suddenly was terrible. I took it to the Ford dealer and they found that several of the flywheel bolts were loose, which cause two of the pressure plate guide pins to shear off. This in turn caused damage to the pilot bearing and slave cylinder. Ford replaced the flywheel, pressure plate, disc, slave cylinder, and throw out bearing. It was all taken care of under warranty with no attempt whatsoever to get out of covering it. The clutch/flywheel assembly as back-ordered so I had to wait a while before they could fix it. Anyway, I've got it back, we went on a road trip (maybe 800 miles) and it's just like new.

I'm sorry if some folks are having trouble with their dealer not fixing their car, but mine took good care of me.
what were your symptoms you were having in detail, please?

problems with the flywheel bolts usually would relate to inability to get the car in a lot of the gears (especially first gear according to the TSB)
Old 9/9/11, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
Sounds to me like chevys is just one of those old people who can't swallow the fact that the trans comes out of China. So he is blowing it out for proportion and blaming everything on China. I think he is just mad at Ford for sending those jobs overseas, and anything less than building the transmission in the US won't make him happy.

I bet a transmission that actually was junk (unlike the MT82) but built here he would be defending.

You don't even own one, quit spreading crap about all the "problems". At least if you went and spend YOUR money on one and had trouble you'd have the right to complain.

Please show me btw people who "aren't getting them fixed", every story I have heard lately (including my own) is people getting them taken care of at the dealer with a replacement transmission.

My car shifts like teflon coated oil covered in buttery goodness.
Yep, IM a old guy. Given a choice I think most all of us would rather have the transmission made in the good old USA if possible. Whats wrong with that?

I dont have a new Mustang as you stated either. I did go test drive one that had a few thousand miles on it. It shifted worse than my 8 year old 3650. It was very notchy. Maybe it was a fluke I dont know but I was not impressed to say the least. Perhaps I should drive another one. I would expect it to be at least as good as the 3650's.

IM glad yours is working well and you are satisfied. I guess I am tired of reading about people taking their cars in and the dealers telling them its normal for them to get locked out, grinding, dont know how to drive ect........ Its not normal and its total BS to pay big money for a car that possibly has a design flaw.

AT some point some of you are going to have to put the kool aid down and admit that this particular transmission is more problematic than others. I dont see any automatic guys raising cane. They seem to be almost perfect. I know most of the mt82 guys are happy but there is a percentage out there that are not and above what you would consider normal.

I feel like buying a new one is a gamble and Im not gambling 35 K away hoping I get a good one. Im not impressed with the way Ford has handled this even though many have had reasonable luck with them. The warranty is not worth the paper its written on imo. Its another gamble imo and my confidence has been shaken.

When you cut me I bleed Ford blue. There will be no more Chevrolets is my driveway new at least. I want Ford to excel and to prosper but you cant just turn your head and act like nothing has happened here. If anything gets done it looks like it will be forced by the goverment. That does not sit well with me. Ford should have been proactive.

Old John Colleti said it best. You can screw up a lot of things and get by with it but if you screw up the Mustang these people might come to your house. He took his job seriously and as Tony said I think the new people do as well. In a big company like Ford a lot of things can go wrong before the product hits the floor.

I just hope for a positive out come for everybody. I truly believe there is a problem. Ford is taking tons on negative press these days on the Mt82, my ford touch, and the powershifts. EVerybody makes mistakes but how you handle them is far more important and I guess that is where I really am disappointed.

I wish everybody the best but Im glad I held out a bit to find the ****** in the armor so to speak. I thought we were past the days of worrying about a first year car but we are not.
Old 9/9/11, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
90% of what you are reading are people emotions taking control and venting. Ford is silent becuase its a pretty small issue. From the number everyone is trying to hype its about 2% or less. I am guessing less then 1%. Ford cannot back a big deal about something that is not a big deal.

If they had found a design flaw or somethign big the "investigation and all" would not be taking this long. If they found something on day 1 we would of heard something.
Flagstang, you may well be right. There is no doubt this is an emotionally charged issue. I may have got caught up in it and didnt even know it. I was aware of the complaints before my test drive and I was focused like a laser beam on the transmission. I stand by my earlier statement that it was not as smooth as my 3650.
Old 9/9/11, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cababah
what were your symptoms you were having in detail, please?

problems with the flywheel bolts usually would relate to inability to get the car in a lot of the gears (especially first gear according to the TSB)
One day I noticed that it took longer and a little bit of force to get it into some gears. Later that day it was worse and after another hour I could no longer get it into first, second, or reverse unless I shut off the car first. It didn't particularly like going into fifth gear, either. Even taking it out of gear required extra force. I had to start out in third gear when I drove it to the dealership.
Old 9/10/11, 02:16 AM
GT Member

for those wondering. as i got slapped down for my post. which was fair..

do a google search for jmatero. seems he cant drive any make of car.

and the big thread you guys should read in on is.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

be warned if you post anything other than you are the best! ra ra.

it will be deleted..
beers
Old 9/10/11, 06:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Swoope
for those wondering. as i got slapped down for my post. which was fair..

do a google search for jmatero. seems he cant drive any make of car.

and the big thread you guys should read in on is.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

be warned if you post anything other than you are the best! ra ra.

it will be deleted..
beers
Stuff gets deleted because people go in there and post personal attacks / insults directly at jmatero..... which is childish at best. I have never seen him direct any sort of insult back in his defense.

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 9/10/11 at 06:30 AM.
Old 9/10/11, 10:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What is with the "old guy" references?? Almost anything you touch today is made in China. This transmission was made in a new factory, built and managed by Getrag, a German company. I am a really old guy...68 this month, and I love the transmission. Much better then the one in my '97 Cobra or '07 GT/CS, which was really notchy when shifting. I do care where things are made, since we have 9.1% unemployment in this country, but, with that said, no one seems upset Camaros and Challengers are made in Canada. I don't think the point of origin has anything to do with this. Even with 130 reports to NHTSA, as was pointed out earlier, out of 23,000+ units with this transmission, is this really a serious defect or simply an example of mass production.

I have also noticed the transmission shifts very smoothly if you do not try and force it into gear. Yesterday, while in the hills, I was upshifting and downshifting by barely moving the shifter to the next gear. I really do hope anyone with a problem gets it solved, so they can go out and enjoy this car the way I do. This really is a car that deserves to be driven.
Old 9/10/11, 03:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
What is with the "old guy" references??......I am a really old guy...68
I bet you have found that 68 is not nearly as old as you thought it would be when you were in your 20's. I am 57 and sure dont feel it. And the Mustangs keep us young. I have never been without a MT in one of my cars, it makes driving more fun
Old 9/10/11, 05:34 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I have also noticed the transmission shifts very smoothly if you do not try and force it into gear. Yesterday, while in the hills, I was upshifting and downshifting by barely moving the shifter to the next gear. I really do hope anyone with a problem gets it solved, so they can go out and enjoy this car the way I do. This really is a car that deserves to be driven.
Yep!
I said this on another thread, but the typical meathead shifter doesn't seem to get the finesse of a sports car type shifter. I saw the same thing with many of the Bullitt guys when the improved Bullitt shifter came out in 08. They were missing 3rd trying to cram and jam.
Some think you have to slam and cram like a cement truck driver. Yeah the old hurst shifters were that way. Had one in my 68 442. But then I drove a Jensen-Healey/Lotus for 15 years and learned shifting with my fingers. The Bullitt shifter feels just the same to me. Takes about the same effort and about the same medium short throw. I imagine Ford designed the 6 spd shifter the same.
Doesn't mean its slower if you're racing in the qtr. You can shift just as fast with a finesse shifter as you can with a notchy clunky shifter. Let the springs and the detents do their job and then move into the slot. Its a fast motion and the shift is just as solid as cramming - which often gets you in the wrong slot and causes other problems.
Old 9/10/11, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yep!
I said this on another thread, but the typical meathead shifter doesn't seem to get the finesse of a sports car type shifter. I saw the same thing with many of the Bullitt guys when the improved Bullitt shifter came out in 08. They were missing 3rd trying to cram and jam.
Some think you have to slam and cram like a cement truck driver. Yeah the old hurst shifters were that way. Had one in my 68 442. But then I drove a Jensen-Healey/Lotus for 15 years and learned shifting with my fingers. The Bullitt shifter feels just the same to me. Takes about the same effort and about the same medium short throw. I imagine Ford designed the 6 spd shifter the same.
Doesn't mean its slower if you're racing in the qtr. You can shift just as fast with a finesse shifter as you can with a notchy clunky shifter. Let the springs and the detents do their job and then move into the slot. Its a fast motion and the shift is just as solid as cramming - which often gets you in the wrong slot and causes other problems.
Yeah I can rest my hand on the right side of the shifter area and easily use my fingers to go through shifts. The only thing is when it's very cold like right after pulling out of the garage/driveway second even if i shift slowly second grinds or it sounds like a grind it may just be notchy? But after I leave the complex by that time it's absolutely fine. It's probably notchy when cold but if that's the only thing I don't think it's right to condemn it for something so minor.
Old 9/10/11, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
I bet you have found that 68 is not nearly as old as you thought it would be when you were in your 20's. I am 57 and sure dont feel it. And the Mustangs keep us young. I have never been without a MT in one of my cars, it makes driving more fun
I can double quote you on this one also. I have had Mustangs my whole life since I was 19. Now I am turning 41 in a few weeks. When I am behind the wheel of my 11 I still feel like that 19 yr old driving my 90 LX 5.0. Gotta love driving these cars!
Old 9/10/11, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Stuff gets deleted because people go in there and post personal attacks / insults directly at jmatero..... which is childish at best. I have never seen him direct any sort of insult back in his defense.
He's called me a Troll and a few other names.
Old 9/11/11, 09:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheReaper
He's called me a Troll and a few other names.
He doesn't like it when you point out glaring issues with his perspective on some of the data he posts.
Old 9/11/11, 01:37 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
He doesn't like it when you point out glaring issues with his perspective on some of the data he posts.
people with a cross to bare do not like anything that gets in the way.. even common sense
Old 9/11/11, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Originally Posted by Flagstang
people with a cross to bare do not like anything that gets in the way.. even common sense
Must be why he refuses to publish his VIN number so we can look up Ford's side of the story.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems