2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/17, 07:50 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
You'll love that garage. Mine is nowhere near as nice as yours, but I did make sure it was big enough to pull an engine and work on it with the doors closed, plus a sink with hot/cold water. That keeps the wife happy because no grease in the house that way.
Old 3/2/17, 11:22 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by awoychosky123
haha you're living the dream brother.
I know it's not the best/biggest/grandest/nicest garage out there, by any means - but I am truly blessed to be able to build this garage and call it my own. Those folks who know me, know how very appreciative I am of what I have.

I am very excited!

Originally Posted by SpectreH
You'll love that garage. Mine is nowhere near as nice as yours, but I did make sure it was big enough to pull an engine and work on it with the doors closed, plus a sink with hot/cold water. That keeps the wife happy because no grease in the house that way.
Thanks man! Yes, the wife actually didn't have any issues/comments on me putting the utility sink and the hot/cold spigot out there. Either she didn't care, or she thought it was a good idea.

lol.
Old 3/2/17, 11:44 AM
I Have No Life

UPDATES! (btw, y'all know that the same time these updates on my garage are happening, our whole house is getting updated, right? I just don't bother talking/posting about it here - because let's face it, WHO CARES about the house? )

LIGHTING (most) INSTALLED! They installed basic fluorescent type bulbs... they get nice and bright after they warm up. But as you know, these are just temporary, until I replace them all with LED strips.

Another view:

That lighting inside the tray is, as a friend told me, like a halo shining down on my sacred area. LOL.

This is the breaker panel for the house:

Then this is one of the extra outlets I had placed in between the front garage doors.

They are still missing a few light fixtures (they ran out) and will fill them in when they return to finish the rest.

It's really coming along!!! Can't wait to see it all fogged/painted.

Oh, and one more thing, here's a pic of my spigot. Again, it's special to me, because I can FINALLY have hot/warm water to wash and detail my cars, rather than freezing my $%^&*$*@! hands everytime I wash my cars in this Iowa weather... grrrr.

(yes, I will have them adjust the center position on the cold handle to be identical/level with the hot - yep, I'm picky too... don't worry)

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/3/17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 3/2/17, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very interested in the codes where you are building, several things confuse me:
1) No vapor barrier on the wall
2) Drywall on the concrete

3) What appears to be a minimal header above the garage doors, sure it's to code but saggy
4)I can't tell from the photos, but that appears to be 1/2" drywall in the garage, can you confirm?
Old 3/2/17, 02:20 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Awesome stuff Burton!
Old 3/2/17, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Oh, and one more thing, here's a pic of my spigot. Again, it's special to me, because I can FINALLY have hot/warm water to wash and detail my cars, rather than freezing my $%^&*$*@! hands everytime I wash my cars in this Iowa weather... grrrr.

(yes, I will have them adjust the center position on the cold handle to be identical/level with the hot - yep, I'm picky too... don't worry)

You know, if you pop off the plastic/rubber covers in the center of those handles there's just ONE screw in the middle that holds those handles on.
You can probably even "handle" that yourself!
Call it the first mod to the house, lol
Old 3/2/17, 08:03 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Very nice there Burton
Old 3/3/17, 09:07 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Mustard12
I'm very interested in the codes where you are building, several things confuse me:

3) What appears to be a minimal header above the garage doors, sure it's to code but saggy
4)I can't tell from the photos, but that appears to be 1/2" drywall in the garage, can you confirm?
??? Holy post batman. Your 4th post is very inquisitive. And it appears you like to point out flaws, eh? LOL. I'll try to respond. Not sure of your intent - if it's to praise, insult, or comment - or if you're a builder or have some garage of your own that you're trying to promote. But I'll give you this one response, and see your post response after that. That will tell me your angle.

I'm not a builder, so I'm not sure what you mean by vapor barrier. It's a garage. LOL. They have studs up, then they insulate between the studs/frame, and same thing on the roof. Then they drywall the inside of the garage/house, then outside it's wood sheets, I think, then siding.

Per my comment above, not sure what you mean. I don't have any drywall on concrete. Drywall gets installed on wood studs/frame. At least that's how it gets done where I'm from. lol.

Saggy? lol. I guess I have a "saggy" header? Ummm... not sure what that means.

There's a wood stud/frame around the top of the doors, just like any door. If you think it's "saggy", ok - lol. Sounds like here in Iowa, you think builders don't build to code? or do you think the build quality here is 3rd world compared to where you're from? lol. Ok.

Drywall is the same on rest of house as is the garage.

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Awesome stuff Burton!
Thanks Tony!!!

Originally Posted by Gabe
You know, if you pop off the plastic/rubber covers in the center of those handles there's just ONE screw in the middle that holds those handles on.
You can probably even "handle" that yourself!
Call it the first mod to the house, lol
Oh I know - but the rules are - I can't touch anything (I mean, modify), until post closing. Trust me, I wanted to get my tools and $hit out and start working on it myself.

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Very nice there Burton
Thanks Shane!!! They are doing the floors in the inside of the house right now. Maybe I should have tiled my garage? lol.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/3/17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 3/6/17, 07:37 AM
I Have No Life

^ Follow up to above post - so I learned something over the weekend lol. Vapor Barriers are the sheeting that is placed after studding/framing/insulation, essentially to serve as a "barrier" behind the drywall. And yes, I confirmed that the vapor barrier is installed as they are drywalling. He showed me where they were. So very cool, I learned something new.
Old 3/23/17, 09:36 AM
I Have No Life

Been a while since I updated this - primarily because most of the updates to our house has been to the house, and not the garage. Who cares about the house right? LOL.

As the house is being finished, they have been utilizing the garage as the storage space for everything - cabinets, trim, siding, etc... so now that most of it is almost done, they have room again in there, and have started on a few things in there again.

They installed openers!!! and finished the trim outside the garage doors, so no more gaps in the doors/siding. I am so stoked about the garage openers - I walked in there and just opened/closed doors for a couple minutes. LOL. They still have to do final lube and final adjustments to the doors, so all the sound will be reduced significantly The best part about the openers - maybe you already know this, but apparently, the new openers are wi-fi capable. So I can access the opener through my iPhone, and see if they're open or closed, and I can control them as well. This is handy because if the kiddos get home before I do, or if they forget to shut them, I can control it!!!

Anyways... those are the minor updates. Stay tuned for more.

Exterior shot - stone still has to go on the front fascia, and the doors will all be painted to match the shake.

Interiors of the rear door/seal...

And this is me just watching in awe... hahahaha...

Old 3/23/17, 02:49 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

That's awesome Burton!!!
Making some great progress. Keep us posted bro.

Last edited by Stage_3; 3/23/17 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 3/23/17, 06:48 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Burton, is your garage also part of your house or is it detached from the house ? As I can't really tell very well from the pics Edit: never mind, I forgot that it's not attached to your main house lol.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/23/17 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Bad Memory
Old 3/24/17, 08:39 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's awesome Burton!!!
Making some great progress. Keep us posted bro.
Thanks Tony! Hard to believe eh? Just seems like a day ago, it was a hole in the ground. Actually, no, there was NO hole on the ground even

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Burton, is your garage also part of your house or is it detached from the house ? As I can't really tell very well from the pics Edit: never mind, I forgot that it's not attached to your main house lol.
Hey Rocky... lol. it's ATTACHED! The picture should have shown that look

Old 3/24/17, 09:46 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Wait?!?!?! You mean there's a house attached to that awesome garage?!?!
EVEN BETTER! lol
Old 3/24/17, 10:33 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I think your builder made a mistake. Shouldn't it look more like this?
Attached Images  
Old 3/24/17, 02:39 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Thanks Tony! Hard to believe eh? Just seems like a day ago, it was a hole in the ground. Actually, no, there was NO hole on the ground even

Hey Rocky... lol. it's ATTACHED! The picture should have shown that look

Thank God Burton, as I was beginning to think I was developing early signs of dementia at 58 in addition to losing my eyesight
Old 3/29/17, 08:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Beautiful house burton.
Old 3/29/17, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I think your builder made a mistake. Shouldn't it look more like this?
Now that's a house, er, garage.
Old 3/30/17, 05:42 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm following this with interest, very jelly!
Old 3/30/17, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
It is coming along quickly. Looks good.

Quick Reply: Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)