Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/16, 02:36 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Thanks Tony... amazing what you learn in life. This will be our 3rd house we have lived in or bought. We keep thinking, oh, for our next one we'll do this. We'll add this. We should have had this, etc. So we're trying to account for all that in this new house. There's probably still a few things we are missing, but.... there's also a lot of things we now have covered. SPACE and DISTANCE from neighbors is a BIG thing for us. I really hate that we are so close to our neighbors. We've outgrown them - and the nose to nose distance really gets annoying. I don't want to see the color of their snot when they sneeze in their backyard. LOL.
HA HAAAAAAAAAA
I know, right?? Having space and distance is awesome. More room on your property to have your kids play in your front or back yard.
Good luck bro!
Old 10/26/16, 07:41 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Good Luck, hope you appraisal goes better than planned.
Old 10/26/16, 08:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Here's the floor you need. Cars aren't bad either...

Old 10/27/16, 01:44 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I did the epoxy myself. It's easy. Especially on clean but cured concrete. I used tileclad from sherwin Williams.

I did not cut the epoxy out under the posts. I let it dry a week or so and then put the posts right on top of it. There's no reason I know of to cut the epoxy out. The posts aren't glued down, merely anchored.
Yes, please elaborate on the epoxy. I heard it's easy to apply/do. How long did it take you in labor hours and about how much did you spend in material?

The big question I had was DURABILITY. I heard it tends to flake/peel, then you're left with a mess...because obviously you don't want to peel the whole thing off. Have you had sections/areas where it peels? And how do you handle that? How does it fare with daily driving over it, parking it, etc?

I tried looking online for the Tile-Clad info - I found it on Sherwin Williams site but no price.

Originally Posted by Stage_3
HA HAAAAAAAAAA
I know, right?? Having space and distance is awesome. More room on your property to have your kids play in your front or back yard.
Good luck bro!
Thanks buddy. The kids are super excited. But as I mentioned before, we don't want to get too overly excited, because all this could end before it even begins. I mean, we'd still do it, but we'd have to wait another year if something goes wrong with the appraisal, etc...

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Good Luck, hope you appraisal goes better than planned.
Thanks Shane. We are crossing our fingers - numbers get back to us this weekend. Wife was home when they came, and she said "they opened the closets". LOL. She said she was worried they'd think it's messy and lowball the offer. I told her not to worry - they'd base the numbers on space, condition, and upgrades - not closet clutter.

Here's the floor you need. Cars aren't bad either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML7q0GV5LBQ
That floor is sweet. What kind is that? Guessing that's professionally laid?
Old 11/1/16, 09:20 AM
I Have No Life

Alright... sorry for the delay in updates, but it's been a stressful week or so trying to finalize all the numbers/appraisal, etc...

So, that being said, I have some good news to share.

I think the following 2 pictures should summarize the news

But yes, Marilyn wanted a picture in front of her potential new stable, so I thought I would oblige. lol.

We have been working the final numbers since last week, and we got the latest info last night, so it's looking good. We hope to sign everything tonight... but the hard part is done. We have a structure meeting maybe next week? Then they break ground in less than 2 weeks hopefully. If everything goes as planned, we close in May/June next year. I'll keep using this thread to chronicle everything about the garage. There might be some last minute changes (as budget allows) I will be doing to it... so stay tuned.

I'm also looking at a Greg Smith lift (instead of BendPak) - it will still fit in my space, so no issues there. Reason why I'm looking at it is because a buddy of mine locally actually build a 3rd stall with 14' ceilings and he had a Greg Smith lift there. They cost much less than a BendPak... I think it's lesser quality than BendPak, but still looked pretty good. His operated on a 110 outlet too. I called BendPak about it, and apparently it's possible to get one on a 110. Hmmmmmmm

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...ur-Post-Lift_2
Old 11/1/16, 10:02 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
From what I know about 220/110 from my electrician I think you are looking at about twice the life span on the 220 motor vs. the 110.

Of course that could be total BS. I'm not an electrical engineer.
Old 11/1/16, 02:49 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

That's great news Burton!!!
Congrats and good luck going forward bro!
Old 11/4/16, 08:05 AM
I Have No Life

From what I know about 220/110 from my electrician I think you are looking at about twice the life span on the 220 motor vs. the 110.

Of course that could be total BS. I'm not an electrical engineer.
I talked to some of my buddies who own a shop here locally. They have a suite of 2 post, 4 post, and scissor lifts. One of them has a 2 post and a scissor lift, and they're both Greg Smith Atlas lifts. In fact, that's what he used on Marilyn when he installed her Kooks Headers. He showed it to me in detail, let me operate it, etc. He's been pretty happy with it. No issues. I asked him why not BendPak... he said you're paying for the name mostly. Atlas's seem to be a few hundred bucks cheaper. I know when I talked to BendPak, I seemed to like their customer service better - but they could just be trying to make me the sale. LOL.

As for the 110/220, he said there's no ill after effect for getting 110. It will just operate slower. But if I have the chance to do 220, I should do it. (Which I plan to). Because I may have the need for other 220 type equipment like a compressor, fridge, arcwelder (yeah right.....lol)

That's great news Burton!!!
Congrats and good luck going forward bro!
Thanks Tony! They are going in for grading and permits yet today, I believe. So we need to drive back over there to see how they stake and line the lot. I'll be out there measuring every centimeter. LOL. It is exciting times indeed.

Check out the latest garage plans. These should be pretty final...of course I'll probably add/change things as we go along. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)-lift-location-2.jpg  
Old 11/4/16, 02:46 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Thanks Tony! They are going in for grading and permits yet today, I believe. So we need to drive back over there to see how they stake and line the lot. I'll be out there measuring every centimeter. LOL. It is exciting times indeed.

Check out the latest garage plans. These should be pretty final...of course I'll probably add/change things as we go along. LOL.
NICE!!!
Car party at Burton's house next summer!! lol
Old 11/4/16, 06:01 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
NICE!!!
Old 11/5/16, 10:42 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Looking good there Burton! Very nice
Old 11/6/16, 06:09 AM
I Have No Life

NICE!!!
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Looking good there Burton! Very nice
thanks Tony, Gary, and Shane! If you guys wanna visit me in this God forsaken state, by all means I will host

hehe.

So, we visit the lot yesterday, and we notice that the entire lot is now flagged with the outline of our house!!! We were so excited! We visited it yesterday and we phantom walked every spot in it. A good friend recommended that we absorb every dimension to the very core and pores of our being. Lol. I particularly spent significant time in the garage. Hahaha. I was envisioning the feel of that concrete, the sound of that lift... The wife stood in her new kitchen and she was all smiles. The boys stood in their rooms. They were stoked.

Also I brought a tape measure and the engineer in me came out. I measured every dimension to make sure it was right. I believe there were a couple spots where it was off by a few inches, so I hope they were just approximates LOL. I do believe they start digging next week!!!

Last edited by FromZto5; 11/6/16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11/6/16, 09:35 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Awesome Burton!
Congrats to you and your family.
Old 11/6/16, 12:20 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Awesome Burton!
Old 11/7/16, 09:45 AM
I Have No Life

Awesome Burton!
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Thanks guys! I'm wondering when they will break ground... I think this week any time! Will be freaky and exciting at the same time.
Old 11/7/16, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
thanks Tony, Gary, and Shane! If you guys wanna visit me in this God forsaken state, by all means I will host

hehe.

So, we visit the lot yesterday, and we notice that the entire lot is now flagged with the outline of our house!!! We were so excited! We visited it yesterday and we phantom walked every spot in it. A good friend recommended that we absorb every dimension to the very core and pores of our being. Lol. I particularly spent significant time in the garage. Hahaha. I was envisioning the feel of that concrete, the sound of that lift... The wife stood in her new kitchen and she was all smiles. The boys stood in their rooms. They were stoked.

Also I brought a tape measure and the engineer in me came out. I measured every dimension to make sure it was right. I believe there were a couple spots where it was off by a few inches, so I hope they were just approximates LOL. I do believe they start digging next week!!!

Out of curiosity, did your architect/builder use 3D modeling? It's very common in the commercial building space but very slowly getting adopted in the residential space. I had a client at my last job that specialized in that software and I was amazed how slow the adoption rate was. When we build a house, I'm not working with a builder unless they do - it's just so much easier to get a design right when you can "walk" through it virtually and not just on a 2D blueprint.
Old 11/9/16, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
NICE!!!
Too funny...I was thinking exactly the same thing!
Old 11/9/16, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys! I'm wondering when they will break ground... I think this week any time! Will be freaky and exciting at the same time.
Congratulations FromZto5.
Old 11/9/16, 08:13 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Out of curiosity, did your architect/builder use 3D modeling? It's very common in the commercial building space but very slowly getting adopted in the residential space. I had a client at my last job that specialized in that software and I was amazed how slow the adoption rate was. When we build a house, I'm not working with a builder unless they do - it's just so much easier to get a design right when you can "walk" through it virtually and not just on a 2D blueprint.
Hey Kyle - I am not sure if they use 3d modeling. Doubtful - since the plans come in CAD-like prints, and it takes a day or so to get back updates. Molasses.

I think the cabinetry, esp in the kitchen, that's all 3d renderings - I've seen others that this company has done. So the wifey is excited about that.

Originally Posted by Horspla
Too funny...I was thinking exactly the same thing!
John - I think party at your place first! I still have to go back to the land of 1000 lakes

Originally Posted by GoTime
Congratulations FromZto5.
Thanks bud! They said still possibly late this week or early next week for ground breaking.

They did get back to us about the grading report - turns out we might need window wells in a couple of the windows off of the basement great room. Reason is because of the flatness of the lot, and the solid concrete pation out back. They said an "option" would be to raise the house, to allow for taller basement windows and no wells, but I would have to eliminate my rear garage door AND patio (since the garage floor wouldn't be level with the back). I responded with a resounding Ummmmmmmmm NO. That ain't happening. So I meet with them today to discuss options for how to eliminate the wells some other way.

That would be like saying - we can give you this, BUT, you'll have to lose your lift area.

Ummmmmmmm.... NO. Ain't happening.
Old 11/14/16, 02:40 PM
I Have No Life

So....

The plan is still to break ground this week. The weather has still been cooperating here, so we're trying to get it in, and get the foundation poured in the next couple weeks. Weather forecast is looking fine.

An update I had: I indirectly benefited from having to lower the garage floor approx. 10-12". Why? It helps with the driveway steepness. So, my driveway will have a 4-5% steepness max. Cool part is that I get almost a foot more in my garage ceiling, so my tray ceiling/lift area becomes almost 14'!!! Score!

My builder is also looking over the specs of my lift, and he is meeting with the concrete folks this week. I provided both the BendPak and Greg Smith lift specs, so I should be covered either way. I do have a question for you lift owners: As you know, the garage floors are made to slope in a certain direction because of drainage. So are there any concerns with the way a lift will rest on the concrete if it's not flat? On my research, it states on their installation guidelines, that you'll have to shim the posts. I guess I could call the manufacturer to verify..... but did you guys have to shim anything?

Quick Reply: Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)